BigCommerce Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work and build your skills
Sales Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2018
This company is a great place to work and offers some nice perks. If you are new to the industry and trying to move up this is a good company to do so in. There are a lot of opportunities, but you have to work hard for them. You can move up if you are willing to learn and continue to grow your skillset.
Awesome place to work
Sales Development Representative Inbound (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 4, 2018
The biggest thing about this place is it's people. love working and collaborating with everyone daily.

The company is moving at a very fast pace and things area always changing so it is very exciting.
Very political
Technical Support Ninja Tier (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 23, 2018
BigCommerce is a great place to launch a career in technical support if you are just starting out. They tend to not treat their Technical Support team very well and are very restrictive. Plan to be on phone calls for 8 hours a day, every day with customers that are yelling at you that they are losing money.
Pros
Free lunch on Tuesday and Happy Hour on Friday
Your work is not appreciated
Sr. Software Engineer full-stack (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Things changed a lot in past year. Management changed and new non-experienced was promoted to manager. Politics are more important than hard working in SF office. Talent people left.
Pros
Free lunch, location
Cons
Poor management, losing direction.
Amazing place to work!
Enterprise Client Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 22, 2017
I worked at BC for a little over two years and I couldn't speak more highly of the company. The people were lovely. They became my family! They genuinely care about their employees and they provide excellent benefits. Quite possibly the best place I've ever worked. Still miss it!
Pros
People, Culture, Free Food, Benefits, Time Off
Cons
Lack of career advancement
Fun Place to work
eCommerce Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 11, 2017
Had a great game, stocked snacks, and catered lunches on tuesdays.
Not a formalized sales process or structured for job security.
Great culture and people.
Focused on the customer and building a great company
Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2017
A great team of people focused on providing value to customers. Challenging work as they expand their target market from entrepreneur and very small businesses to mid-sized and enterprise clients. Leadership team is very focused.
Pros
great team, culture is important
Cons
Set stretch goals without clear plans on how to acheive
Great place to work, good people and great culture.
Customer Service/Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 27, 2017
Made some amazing friends while working really hard. Lots of company culture and comraderee among coworkers. Weekly state of the union and happy hour a great way to keep people on track. CEO and other suits easy to approach and talk with, and share ideas.
Pros
Free lunches, great health care, good people to work with.
Cons
Busy call center, work holidays and weekends.
Fast paced environment where you are always surrounded by close friends.
Manager, Enterprise Account Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 17, 2016
I've never been more grateful for my time at a company than I am for my time at Bigcommerce.

Best part of the job was not only my co-workers and the approachability and inspiration of leadership, but our clients. Knowing that we are actively changing the lives of entrepreneurs and business owners around the world with our platform.
Pros
Benefits Package, Unlimited PTO, Free Lunch Tuesdays, Healthy Snacks & Drinks, Community Service Opportunities, Leadership Training, StartUp Culture
Cons
Typical start up growing pains
Great place succumbs to micro management
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 26, 2016
Over the last two years we have watched as BC became more and more micromanaged. While some of the changes were necessary in order to ensure success, others demoralized and demotivated the team.
Pros
Great team leaders, snacks, drinks, reasonable vacation and sick balances, amazing culture
Cons
Every second is micromanaged.
great company culture and people!
Technical Support Ninja (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 25, 2016
Loved working here, definitely one of my best jobs. They had happy hours every friday. My manager was the best I've had so far.
Pros
great people and benefits
Cons
on the job training, and phone support can not be the easiest job in the world
After 2 years
Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2015
This is a great place to work if you get into the right department. Turn over has increased a lot lately. Most Austin operations have been taken over by horrible managers that are based in San Fransisco. Founders have been forced to the sideline by the board. New CEO shows promise but bad decision making at engineering VP and Director levels is rampant.
Pros
Start up feel. Good benefits, Some good deparments
Cons
Getting top heavy. Too many VPs and C levels that don't contribute muchh
Once great, but rapidly losing sight of its culture
eCommerce Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2015
Bigcommerce has changed radically over the past year. It used to have a great deal of freedom in the day to day and the management rewarded initiative and performance.
However, since the management has changed in preparation of going public, the support department has taken a new direction which brings the quality of the job and overall direction more towards a high-pressure call center environment than the previous culture. Advancement opportunities have been reduced and raises have been put on hold, and the overall freedom of the job is not at all close to where it was. The department is chronically understaffed and representatives are not empowered to have the ability to control conversations with clients, which can lead to a lot of conversations that tax endurance.
The people there are one of the biggest redeeming aspects; the environment still has good culture in some regards and there are many people who are working to try to arrest the current management trend.
Pros
Free lunches on Tuesdays, high initial rate of pay (no raises)
Cons
Strict attendance policies, lack of employee empowerment, lack of promotion opportunities, cultural trend
Great people, and inspired workforce
Director, Channel Sales (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 27, 2015
Great commitment and drive from frontline employees across segments. Everyone at this level is committed to improving the customer experience.
Really gone down hill
Sales (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2015
It used to be about employees, culture and more importantly, our customers. But in the last 9 months it's really gone down the toilet. Built out a huge team in San Francisco ($$) that has developed big features that haven't proven to be valuable for us or our clients. Lots of excitement around the new San Francisco team and management but it's been all talk.

Not even treating the veterans that built the company (those of us in Austin and Sydney) with the same respect and equal appreciation as San Francisco. Example; free lunches every day in SF. Seems silly to point out but why one group and not everyone? There are many days a lot of us don't have time to leave the office for lunch so we're stuck with cereal.

It's sad how it used to be a fun and rewarding place to work. With the vast turn over it's nowhere near the same company as when I joined.
Cons
management
Reviews are bogus
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  AustinFebruary 16, 2015
It's funny how every ad for a tech support position for Bigcommerce says "skateboard while solving client issues".... except you won't ever have time to skateboard. You are treated as a slave, nothing matters but being on the phones. You will work your butt off, and get nothing in return. Management used to be great, but early 2014 was changed to new management which emphasizes the "slave role" you will play. You are nothing but a drone to them, and you are always "replaceable".

If you enjoy working hard and getting nothing in return, bc just might be for you. You will more than likely need to spend 1.5- 2 years in a low end support position before ever even getting considered for a promotion. Then someone else who's been working there for 4 months will get the position (because they were a former co-worker of management at a different place of employment).
Pros
snacks, great benefits, cool office, nice coworkers
Cons
poor management, unorganized, unfulfilled promises
Great company going through some growth challenges
FRONTEND DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2014
For a large company, their environment is outstanding. Great people and they are focused on their clients.
Great place to work, progressive, productive, enjoyable
Contract Data Migrations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2014
I had a great time contracting for Bigcommerce. Aside from their eCommerce platform, their strongest asset is their community. You'll immediately be welcomed in as part of the community, co-workers are friendly, they hold a variety of entertaining events, beer day, free lunch day, kitchen full of snacks and the overall feeling that Bigcommerce values its staff. Management is also exceptional, they're supportive, they listen to staff suggestions, incorporate your feedback, provide insight and promote a well balanced work/social environment.
Pros
Strong community, Great management, Dynamic work environment, Snacks provided, Beer day, Free lunch day, Internal career transition opportunities
Wonderful people and workplace
Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2013
I'm not sure where to start. The people are so friendly and helpful here. Whenever I go to the break room (where they have free snacks, drinks, and excellent coffee), someone from another department is introducing themself to me. HR is really nice and will help you out with things if they can. The building is absolutely gorgeous, and it's filled with stuff like swings and skateboards and mini-golf. The walls are covered with murals done by local Austin artists. The energy here is really positive, and it's a great place to work if you really want to be part of a community.
Pros
weekly happy hour, free lunch on tuesdays, friendly people
Cons
not a lot of close-by restaurants
This place rocks!
Acquisition Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
I come into work each day, work hard with people who are awesome, and thank God that I get to do it all again the next day. Plus they give me free drinks!
Pros
free lunch on tuesday.
Cons
it is a startup so you have to be able to solve problems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BigCommerce. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

69out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at BigCommerce.

Powered by Comparably