BIGGBY COFFEE Employee Reviews

It was a great place to cultivate my customer service skills.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Redford, MIAugust 17, 2019
When I started working here I was still working for Potbelly. I was already comfortable with the cleaning aspect of Biggby. I got to learn how to make shots of espresso, how to clean the espresso machine, how to clean coffee grinders as well as the storage containers for the coffee beans. I learned how to make a proper latte and any frozen or iced beverage there. It was awesome working there.
Fun and enjoyable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 16, 2019
Very energetic atmosphere and the pay isn’t great but depending what location you work you will have fun regardless. Very clean place. They have over 30 drinks that aren’t listed on the menus. The drinks are very good. The company itself is a wonderful company.
Biggby Coffee
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Berkley, MIAugust 13, 2019
Biggby Coffee is a lively enviroment with wonderful staff and a great customer base. Working as a barista at times does not even feel like work. The quality of their coffee is great and usually pretty consistant.
A great place with friendly staff and customers
Grand Rapids- Barista/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Plainfield, MIAugust 11, 2019
The perks of the job are that people are usually nice and the staff is great. However, I do have some problems outside of these two. Corporate puts a lot of pressure on my store for completing task lists and quality management which can create a very stressful environment. Pay starts at minimum wage which is not enough pay for busier locations. Corporate gives off the notion that they care more about money than their staff even if they do not have this intention. My store had many areas cut in order to save money especially understaffing. I had many coworkers who were willing to work including myself but corporate enforces to strict of total hours allowed the employees to work which put to much stress on me competing for the chores without proper help. Most of these problems would be fixed if corporate put money towards employees because the minimum wage is not enough to work here.
Fun Place, but Depends on Location
Barista (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIAugust 11, 2019
Since Biggby is a franchise business, it really depends on where you are and who you are working for. I worked at two different locations, one in Holland, MI and one in Grand Rapids, MI. The one in Holland was amazing. The owner was in the shop several days a week and even worked side by side with us at least once a week. He made sure to get to know every one of his workers on a friend level and he even threw a couple get togethers for the people at my location and people from the other two locations he owned so we could all get to know each other. I worked under a very friendly manager and assistant manager also. Everyone was always very willing to help you out whenever you needed it and we even had a few fun BOGOs with the local police. Being in a small college town, we were always busy, but we had great flexibility. I also liked this particular franchise because if you wanted extra hours, you could pick up shifts at one of the other locations. It was a great job while I was in school and I was always excited to go to work.
However, when I “transferred” to the Grand Rapids location, things were totally different. It wasn’t by any means terrible, but it wasn’t great. The owners lived an hour and a half away so you didn’t see them often and usually when you saw them, they were firing someone over something trivial. The manager was in a relationship with one of the shift leads which shouldn’t really be an issue, but it affected their work vastly and it started to make some of the workers, myself included, very uncomfortable. I like to think of myself as a very tidy and thorough
  more... person and when I started working at this location, it was very clear that majority of the workers there did not care about the proper procedures. I often ended up having to go back and clean things again because my coworkers were not putting as much effort in as they should have been. They weren’t bad people (except for one), I think it was due to a lack of proper training, but some of these things were also common knowledge. Overall, I think Biggby is a fun place to work. Even though my second experience wasn’t the best, I still had fun because I liked the company and the customers were great. If you’re looking into applying at Biggby, definitely look into the culture of the specific location you’re applying to because some places are much better than others.  less
Pros
discounts on drinks, food, and bagged coffee and teas
Cons
poor management/ownership at second location
Productive and fun workplace with a good work environment
Shift Leader and Barista (Current Employee) –  Taylor Mill, KYAugust 9, 2019
The work environment was always fun to be in, even when I had to be there to open the store at 5:30am. I was always in a good mood to see my coworkers and the regular customers that came in.
Awesome place too work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 2, 2019
Great place to work especiallyif you are in schools they wook with your schedule! Flexible hours! Awesome staff , relaxing atmosphere! Very energetic and fun! Must be fast paced and consistent! Best place i worked at in a long time! Managers take time with you to train you to make you have confidence in your work performance!
Productive and Interesting Work Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIAugust 1, 2019
Biggby Coffee is by far the most pleasant experience I've ever had working in a food environment. Our regular customers are kind, and management is understanding. It's given me an insight into why I never liked typical food service jobs, and why I wouldn't mind slinging coffee for the rest of my life.
Awesome people great place. Friendly employees good management.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 17, 2019
Everyone there was very nice. Great work environment. Had lots of fun learning to make all the drinks good customers and awesome drinks. You have to be pretty fast at the drinks but it was a fun and fulfilling challenge
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIJuly 10, 2019
Having an amazing manager made the job just that much better. He is always there when u have questions. He allows days off if needed. Great down to earth boss.
Great place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 3, 2019
Overall great company great staff friendly customers great environment to be in customer are very great the coffees is always fresh and hot and the lattes are very good
Pros
Shift beverag
Was a fun work place , manager sucks tho .
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHJuly 1, 2019
It was a fun work place . People were kind & nice . Very uplifting . Until the manager came in and she was an a**hole . Called employees out in front of customers . Then expected you to still remain happy . On glad I dont work there anymore.
Fun and fast-paced
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  LansingJune 20, 2019
Biggby was a great college job. The employees were like-minded and the hours were flexible. Shifts were medium length and provided enough time to attend work without interfering with schoolwork.
Not a great place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Haslett, MIJune 15, 2019
I wouldn’t waste my time here. Unless you were still in high school and just needed something to pass the time by. Not a great place to work if you have a family and bills, you are not compensated nearly enough
Nice part-time job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJune 13, 2019
It is a great place to work part-time. You have a lot to learn but once you do, it is pretty easy. However, it can become stressful some days. I would recommend for an entry level job.
Decent first job
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Trenton, MIJune 12, 2019
Little room for advancement, depends on what location you work at as to how the management is. Easy job, no real benefits. Customers are the best part of the job
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Everything else
this job was a excellent start i loved working there just ready for a new tart.
biggby coffee (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 12, 2019
Im 17 looking for a new start ready to start just graduated high school. I worked there for a year and a half. Graduating high school a year early was the best thing that happened to me just ready to work at a new job and gary my college classes.
Great part time job while in school.
SHIFT LEADER (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 10, 2019
Biggby coffee is a relaxing atmosphere and does not vary much from day to day. In this job I improved my customer service skills, learned to problem solve, and manage my time. The people that work here are all very friendly and one of my favorite parts of working here. The hardest part of the job is never moving up the chain. Other than my initial promotion to shift leader I have not received any other promotions.
Better jobs for this wage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIJune 6, 2019
Fine place to work, nothing terrible, but easily one of the harder jobs you could take for little above minimum wage. The tips aren't enough to make up for this, even on a good day.
Fun Environment, Horrible people
Barista/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 5, 2019
The management system is the worst I have EVER seen. It is disgraceful because they treat people like they are their personal chattel. Management feels Like they don’t care about their responsibilities, they only care for a check. I took believe it is the Biggby owner that made the experience even worse because he was incompetent and a very docile when it came to moments that needed to be addressed more severely. I would never recommend the job at the location (Elmwood rd)
Pros
Free shift beverages
Cons
Management, owner, money hungry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIGGBY COFFEE. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight