BIGGBY COFFEE Employee Reviews in Grand Rapids, MI

Fun work place
Barista Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 26, 2019
The job is easy to do and easy to catch on to. The staff is pretty nice to work with, and the hours are flexible. I would work there again if the opportunity presents itself.
Don't Work Here
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 3, 2019
My experience at Biggby was worse than any other hospitality position I've been in.
Managers don't fully communicate requirements to employees. Call was expected to be taken without proper notice, agreement, or compensation. No MSDS was found on site.

UNIFORM READS "PROPERTY OF BIGGBY."

Biggby doesn't care for their employees, instead they do their best to lie and manipulate.
Maybe just my branch
Barista (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 30, 2018
With sporadic schedules, very low pay, and apathetic management and franchise owners Biggby is not a place I recommend working. Keeping managers around seems to be a challenge, and they have the same conditions as the rest of us so it's no mystery why they won't stay long. There is a good culture among workers, however, but when the franchise owners don't care, nobody does.
Pros
Unlimited shift drinks and discounts at your store when off the clock
Cons
Management and highly irregular schedules
So sad to leave!
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 17, 2018
My biggby has been such an amazing family. Everyone who works there is so genuinely nice and fun to work with, and easy to collaborate with too! The customers can be a little...odd...sometimes creepy, but it is what it is. The owners of my biggby were the best bosses I’ve ever had. They cared about each of us and made sure to encourage and support us. Scheduling is pretty easy too bevause you request time off only a week in advance, which is pretty easy to keep up with! The free drinks are really nice too.
One of my favorite parts about working here was how clean we kept the store. I’ve worked a lot of jobs where there were some things that NEVER got cleaned, but at biggby, no stone is unturned. We clean everything every day, which makes for a great environment and keeps you busy. The training process made me nervous at first, but it’s a really easy once you get the hang of it. I do wish my shifts could have been a little bit longer at times, but it wasn’t a problem honestly. This job it’s really easy to just request more hours if you’re unhappy. Management really tries to work with your schedule, which is nice. This was by far the best job I’ve worked, and I’m sad to go! B Happy!
Pros
Free drinks, easy scheduling, fun job
Cons
No breaks, opening is EARLY
The job itself is enjoyable
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 11, 2018
I had frustrating experiences with upper management at both locations I worked for. There can be favoritism sometimes even within corporate. The environment is nice, though, and customers can make or break your day. It's the kind of job you end up sticking with, there is much worse out there. If you must be in food service, or "fast food", I'd go with Biggby.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Frustrating management
Fun environment, minimum wage, great second job for college student
Barista (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 24, 2018
I rarely enjoy my jobs, so when I started making friends as a barista at Biggby, I was pleasantly surprised. The job can be stressful (just like any food service job) on any given day. It is rare to get an actual break since the store can get overwhelmingly busy within minutes. I love working with the people at Biggby and have gotten to know several regular customers which has been amazing. My issues with my job are the irregular schedule and the compensation. These two reasons are why I would suggest this as a supplementary job to go with a more regular, higher income position elsewhere.
Pros
Free drink each shift, great coworkers
Cons
Stressful at times, poor scheduling, minimum wage
Fun and healthy work environment that allows you to build skills to excel in the future.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 11, 2018
A typical day at work involves a general fast-paced environment in which you are responsible for assembling food and beverage items, operating the register, and other general cleaning responsibilities. This company hires great employees who usually work together effectively and in a healthy manner.
Easy job to make some extra cash
Barista (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 18, 2018
I had this job while I was still in college and it was a pretty easy and laid-back job. It allowed for me to make some extra cash without feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork and other daily responsibilities. Pretty fun environment too!
A good place to work for people who love coffee
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 29, 2017
A regular day can differ depending on what kind of store you work in. Some are more fast-paced than others, but the work is the same. Overall the management is responsive to employees, but the wheels of corporate offices turn slowly.
Pros
Good people and good coffee
Cons
Stressful, busy environment
Poor Management
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 24, 2017
A typical day at Biggby consisted of make coffee, drinks, handling cash, and cleaning. I learned that Biggby will blame someone for something without evidence, or proof.
Pros
one Free drink per shift
Cons
Great work place for college students
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 18, 2017
They work well with your schooling schedule. Management is better then a lot of places I've worked. Hardest part of the job is multitasking, if you can't then I wouldn't advise being a Barista but if you can multitask then the job is perfect for you.
Pros
Free coffee on shifts, and discounts off duty.
Cons
Short breaks, not much training
Good part-time job
Barista/Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 2, 2017
Biggby has always been a great part-time job for me in the past couple of years. I enjoy the atmosphere and my coworkers that I work with. I'm constantly meeting new people and enjoying the downtown Grand Rapids area.
Fun to communicate and get to know customers
Barista (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 5, 2016
It was an okay job, its mainly for people that are going to college. Hours very, its only a part time job, so you can have between 1 or 4 days a week. No benefits. Our franchise had us sign waivers about not getting insurance through them, and considered 30 hours was full-time... Meeting new people everyday was the best part, and getting to know them more each time they came back was nice.
Pros
One free latte per shift, free brewed coffee all the time.
Cons
No breaks (at least at my store), no benefits
poor mangement
Barista (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 13, 2014
The management is not professional and poorly run. The co-workers are rude and intolerable.
Fun Workplace
❸ Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 30, 2014
Biggby Coffee was a great place to work. It teaches you how to work hard an din a fast paced environment. While I worked there my coworkers and I got along real well and although we worked hard, we would still have a lot of fun while doing so. The management was sort of like a roller coaster. One day she would be super strict and we would have to change everything and then a week later it would go back to how it was before.
Pros
free shift drink, 1/2 off drinks, 15% of merchandise
Cons
rarely any raises, termination without reason
Fun job with great coworkers and an awesome manager!
Shift Leader/Barista (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 9, 2013
Biggby is not your typical coffee shop where you are just another name in line and a drink dropped at the end of the counter. My coworkers, manager, and I all enjoyed talking to our regulars every day as well as meeting new customers from in and out of town. Customer service is a number one priority and that made this job enjoyable. I loved this job but was not payed enough for all of the duties and issues I had to deal with on a daily basis. I wish I could take my coworkers with me to my new job.
Pros
Free shift beverages, meeting new people everyday, fun job
Cons
Little to no breaks, no benefits, low pay. Old equipment, no air conditioning.
Nice workplace and loved my other coworkers
Shift leader (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganSeptember 3, 2013
Greeting all the customers and seeing my usual customers on a day to day schedule was very enjoyable for me. It's nice when someone recognizes you and gives you a little appreciation, and that is what I did at my job. There wasn't anything that was really that hard at my job. Sometimes maybe if there was a conflict with a customer, I would have to deal with it, but you just have to remember that the customer is always right and to treat them well, so that they will keep giving you their business. Management was great and the other coworkers all got along pretty well. Every once in awhile I would train new employees at our store, which was great because I got to know them pretty well while doing so.
Pros
one free shift beverage per work day
Cons
no healthcare, and slow on raises
Fun place to work
Barista, Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 23, 2013
I love my coworkers and being a barista. As a barista, you make drinks, stock milk fridges, create friendships, and have fun. Sometimes working a closing shift (2-10pm typically) is hard especially since you are expected to clean the store spotless all the while helping customers.
Pros
lots of down time, flexible hours
Cons
rude customers, low pay