BIGGBY COFFEE Employee Reviews for Barista

Fun workplace with great training
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 18, 2019
I loved working at Biggby, I had great bosses and reliable coworkers. The customers were nice and loved getting to know you. The BIGGBY culture is cool and focused on being a friendly and competent worker.
Pros
Free drinks, tips, short shifts
Fun and welcoming environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXSeptember 5, 2019
The culture of this job is often a positive and fun one. The owners/store manager are a kind couple who are often encouraging and very flexible with regards to scheduling.
Questionable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Marshfield, WIAugust 31, 2019
I was terminated from Biggby, and when I asked for a reason, the owner of the shop said plainly I wasn't the right fit. I, as well as everyone I've spoken to about it, believe that is the best reason to put someone out of work.
Good place, some stress
Barista/Shift Supervisor/cashier (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 21, 2019
It was a very fast paced environment a majority of mornings. The pay was decent, though it would’ve been nice to be paid more. I can no longer speak as to how management is as it has changed since I left, but it was good when I was there.
It was a great place to cultivate my customer service skills.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Redford, MIAugust 17, 2019
When I started working here I was still working for Potbelly. I was already comfortable with the cleaning aspect of Biggby. I got to learn how to make shots of espresso, how to clean the espresso machine, how to clean coffee grinders as well as the storage containers for the coffee beans. I learned how to make a proper latte and any frozen or iced beverage there. It was awesome working there.
Fun and enjoyable
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 16, 2019
Very energetic atmosphere and the pay isn’t great but depending what location you work you will have fun regardless. Very clean place. They have over 30 drinks that aren’t listed on the menus. The drinks are very good. The company itself is a wonderful company.
Fun Place, but Depends on Location
Barista (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIAugust 11, 2019
Since Biggby is a franchise business, it really depends on where you are and who you are working for. I worked at two different locations, one in Holland, MI and one in Grand Rapids, MI. The one in Holland was amazing. The owner was in the shop several days a week and even worked side by side with us at least once a week. He made sure to get to know every one of his workers on a friend level and he even threw a couple get togethers for the people at my location and people from the other two locations he owned so we could all get to know each other. I worked under a very friendly manager and assistant manager also. Everyone was always very willing to help you out whenever you needed it and we even had a few fun BOGOs with the local police. Being in a small college town, we were always busy, but we had great flexibility. I also liked this particular franchise because if you wanted extra hours, you could pick up shifts at one of the other locations. It was a great job while I was in school and I was always excited to go to work.
However, when I “transferred” to the Grand Rapids location, things were totally different. It wasn’t by any means terrible, but it wasn’t great. The owners lived an hour and a half away so you didn’t see them often and usually when you saw them, they were firing someone over something trivial. The manager was in a relationship with one of the shift leads which shouldn’t really be an issue, but it affected their work vastly and it started to make some of the workers, myself included, very uncomfortable. I like to think of myself as a very tidy and thorough
  more... person and when I started working at this location, it was very clear that majority of the workers there did not care about the proper procedures. I often ended up having to go back and clean things again because my coworkers were not putting as much effort in as they should have been. They weren’t bad people (except for one), I think it was due to a lack of proper training, but some of these things were also common knowledge. Overall, I think Biggby is a fun place to work. Even though my second experience wasn’t the best, I still had fun because I liked the company and the customers were great. If you’re looking into applying at Biggby, definitely look into the culture of the specific location you’re applying to because some places are much better than others.  less
Pros
discounts on drinks, food, and bagged coffee and teas
Cons
poor management/ownership at second location
Awesome place too work!
Barista (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 2, 2019
Great place to work especiallyif you are in schools they wook with your schedule! Flexible hours! Awesome staff , relaxing atmosphere! Very energetic and fun! Must be fast paced and consistent! Best place i worked at in a long time! Managers take time with you to train you to make you have confidence in your work performance!
Productive and Interesting Work Experience
Barista (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIAugust 1, 2019
Biggby Coffee is by far the most pleasant experience I've ever had working in a food environment. Our regular customers are kind, and management is understanding. It's given me an insight into why I never liked typical food service jobs, and why I wouldn't mind slinging coffee for the rest of my life.
Awesome people great place. Friendly employees good management.
Barista (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 17, 2019
Everyone there was very nice. Great work environment. Had lots of fun learning to make all the drinks good customers and awesome drinks. You have to be pretty fast at the drinks but it was a fun and fulfilling challenge
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIJuly 10, 2019
Having an amazing manager made the job just that much better. He is always there when u have questions. He allows days off if needed. Great down to earth boss.
Was a fun work place , manager sucks tho .
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Celina, OHJuly 1, 2019
It was a fun work place . People were kind & nice . Very uplifting . Until the manager came in and she was an a**hole . Called employees out in front of customers . Then expected you to still remain happy . On glad I dont work there anymore.
Fun and fast-paced
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  LansingJune 20, 2019
Biggby was a great college job. The employees were like-minded and the hours were flexible. Shifts were medium length and provided enough time to attend work without interfering with schoolwork.
Not a great place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Haslett, MIJune 15, 2019
I wouldn’t waste my time here. Unless you were still in high school and just needed something to pass the time by. Not a great place to work if you have a family and bills, you are not compensated nearly enough
Nice part-time job.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJune 13, 2019
It is a great place to work part-time. You have a lot to learn but once you do, it is pretty easy. However, it can become stressful some days. I would recommend for an entry level job.
Better jobs for this wage
Barista (Former Employee) –  Cedar Springs, MIJune 6, 2019
Fine place to work, nothing terrible, but easily one of the harder jobs you could take for little above minimum wage. The tips aren't enough to make up for this, even on a good day.
Fun Environment, Horrible people
Barista/ Manager (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 5, 2019
The management system is the worst I have EVER seen. It is disgraceful because they treat people like they are their personal chattel. Management feels Like they don’t care about their responsibilities, they only care for a check. I took believe it is the Biggby owner that made the experience even worse because he was incompetent and a very docile when it came to moments that needed to be addressed more severely. I would never recommend the job at the location (Elmwood rd)
Pros
Free shift beverages
Cons
Management, owner, money hungry
Overall Great
Barista (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 23, 2019
It is overall a great place to work. you get a decent pay for a part-time job and tips are sometime really good. The management is exceptional. You get decent discounts and one free drink per shift and free iced coffee, tea, iced tea, and brewed coffee anytime you want.
Pros
free drinks and discounts
Cons
no real breaks
Great company
Barista (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 22, 2019
I really did like biggby because i love coffee and tea only thing i didn't like was trying to learn how to make to many drinks at once and had no glasses so i couldn't see but i think its a fun place to work.
Only Good Thing About Biggby was the Customers and Fellow Employees
BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Granger, INMay 21, 2019
Working at Biggby Coffee was fun when you got to interact with great customers as well as working with your fellow employees. However, the least enjoyable part of this job was the poorly executed work meetings and the lack of job security. While I worked here, people would be fired on the spot without being given a valid reason.
Cons
No Breaks: You could eat lunch whenever you didn't have customers which was rarely ever

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BIGGBY COFFEE. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight