BILL MARSH AUTO GROUP Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 3, 2018
Great Place To Work. Learning something new every day. Great People, great products. Great local family owned and oriented company. The only dealership in Traverse City that is locally owned and operated.
Pros
Great Place to Work
Fun place
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Kalkaska, MIAugust 1, 2018
I have worked with the company for years left once and only made it 2 years and had to come back its more of a family than work yes we have work to do but the customer make it a good place to be
Behind the scenes at Bill Marsh
Sales Administrator (Current Employee) –  Bill Marsh Price PointJuly 31, 2018
Most people see Bill Marsh Auto as "just another car dealership" but we are so much more than that! There are people from all walks of life that work here that makes this such an inclusive place to work. I couldn't be more proud to be a Bill Marsh employee; this truly is a GREAT place to work. The most important thing for me as a full-time working mother is to make sure that my work life doesn't take over my personal life and Bill Marsh is a company that understands that having a healthy home life is key to having a healthy work life.

Anyone that is looking to take a different direction with their career should definitely consider working for this company.
Pros
Paid vacation, 401k, Lunch hours, 40+ hour work weeks, competitive pay
Cons
Retail hours...but who REALLY likes those anyway??
Great teamwork
HR and Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 31, 2018
I love working for a company that thrives on team work. My team never fails to make me feel appreciated and valued. We may not always see eye to eye but I feel comfortable making my voice heard.
Fun and Challenging
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 31, 2018
Successful sales career for 5 years and found my co-workers and managers to be friendly and engaging. In Management for 13 years and have found my peers to be top-notch and the owners to be smart, progressive and directed. Fun to be part of our manufacturer partners.
Pros
Dynamic business
Cons
Snow Removal
competitive and corporate
Master Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 20, 2018
Typical day at work was face paced when during the summer months and slowed down in the winter. The delegation of work to the mechanics seemed a bit unfair, but was mostly due to the incompetence of assigned service writers. Management was friendly and did job well. Hardest part was interacting with a few disgruntled employees and dealing with the slow season. Learned that its best not to vent to fellow employees and friends about work when the parts manager is listening in the corner, just shut up and do your job.
Excellent Leadership with high expectations
Quick Lube Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MichiganMarch 12, 2018
Fun but usually stressful place to work. Interactions with customers are mostly positive. The company has a good culture of excellence and partakes in continual training. Sometimes its difficult to feel there is a path for advancement and it can feel like an arduous daily grind.
A bunch of nonsense
Detailer/Porter (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 1, 2017
New sales manager doesn’t have the correct mindset and is a minion to the dealership manager who has no idea what they are doing. Higher ups let continuous not good cleaning jobs pass through to the customers, then they complain because it’s dirty. The detailed there is a slob who should not be cleaning other people’s cars.
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
No job security or loyalty
horrible business
Oil Technician (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 23, 2017
Management is poor, lack of direction, owners don't care about what goes on. The good employees are chased off and less experienced people are brought in. Someone who is more qualified and willing to work and is only paid 10$ an hour is tossed aside for someone who doesn't have certifications and gets paid 15$ an hour. The place is a revolving door and it will always be that way. Unless you have knee pads and are willing to be the managers best friend you won't last.
I was advanced fairly quickly
Express Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 12, 2017
Having a good work ethic and personal traits will get you moved up the chain, but the pay doesn't always reflect the job duties so some employees will not work hard or care if they aren't paid like the should be.
never know when you get to leave on a daily basis
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 17, 2017
you are there from open to close however on a daily basis you never know when you get to leave because if there is a last minute sale everyone has to stay which can lead to 3 extra hours daily. The overtime is good however its at the spur of the moment, last minute which makes it impossible to schedule family and a life around it.. Management has no qualms with firing someone and wont give a reason for it. They would rather fire you than discuss a problem with you. Insurance is the worst I have ever seen
Pros
pay, FT work
Cons
Insurance, co workers, management, last minute OT, expectations
Awful place to work
Assistant Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJuly 17, 2017
Worked at the JD Byrider in Saginaw which is owned by Bill Marsh. It was the worst year of my life. Management treats you awful no respect and always degrading you. I was so happy when I left and I would never recommend anyone to work here or to purchase a vehicle here.
Cons
Awful Management
A good stepping stone but don't plan on a career here.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 10, 2017
Bill Sr was the founder and a very innovated thinker. The brothers now own the company and have somewhat similar ideas.

When you start employment here it is very welcoming. However, the longer you are here, the more drama you see. Some departments are a revolving door. They don't utilize skill set in their employees. There are quite a few employees that don't have to follow the rules. There are a handful of slackers that don't encounter consequences. They have some management that excell at their position and others that should not be in their position of leading employees and making decisions.

There appears to be shiny object syndrome in decision making. The company is continually making new decisions; opening, closing, reorganizing and relocating some part of the company. This can be a good thing at times but I feel the decisions are not always thoroughly thought out and valuable workers are the casualty. They have a director that is deceitful and less than honest to employees. As long as your not under his umbrella, you should be okay. I have seen them let go some outstanding employees with many years on the job without a second thought. Good work ethic and loyalty doesn't factor in when they are eliminating employees. Security is not a pro with this company.

Pay can be decent. Insurance is not worth it if you have to use it. There are a lot of great people to work with. If your looking for employment for a year or two, this could be a good fit. If your looking for a career, I highly recommend looking elsewhere.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Some of the management team, health insurance and job security.
Fun Place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 20, 2017
I enjoyed working with all of the people at Bill Marsh Auto Group. Very fun place and great training. I wasn't impressed with how little they do give their employees for pay and anniversaries. However, even the highest boss will give you so much respect and that is something that is truly hard to find.
Paid well but no direction in the company
Internet Manager (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 27, 2017
Our department was setup and then shut down in the matter of 2 years. They seem to hire and fire different media and sales lead companies regularly, sometimes every few months. They really seem lost and disconnected from the market and just keep trying new things all the time to see it if works. The shotgun approach of firing at as wide a range as possible to see if anything sticks and hits it's mark is not good for the company. It also seemed like they are constantly in a state of restructure with moving offices, departments, buildings, etc. They always have some new and exciting thing happening until it fails and they come up with the next one. This company is struggling with finding itself and the employees are the ones left trying to clean up after management. Some of us even paid with our jobs and livelihoods because they can't figure out what to do.
Pros
Pays well
Cons
No direction
Fun paced automotive sales position
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 19, 2016
Put the hours in and make it a career choice and make lots of money. Customer service is job one here. Owned and operated by family with a family oriented business structure.
Family owned, amazing business model
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIOctober 6, 2015
Bill Marsh Auto group uses the unique one price no haggling pricing mode. customers really enjoy the fact that they are going to get the same price on a vehicle as the next person. true value to the customers. People drive in from many miles away just to purchase vehicles because they know they are going to be taken care of.
Pros
great family to work for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BILL MARSH AUTO GROUP. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about