Biltmore Employee Reviews

Na
Operations (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 17, 2019
Unbeliavble place to work. For such a big place with so many employees, the CEO is guaranteed to know your name, your families names, how old your kids are just after a few times seeing on property. By far, the only career I've ever had where you truly are "family"!
Dead-end job with increasingly poor treatment of employees.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 26, 2019
You are sitting at your desk for 8 hours a day, answering calls back-to-back. You work hard, all while being told how valuable you are as an employee and how valuable the "guests" ( never use the word "customers") are. Meanwhile at the call center your every move is monetized, scrutinized, and numbered as for the statistics that you earn for the company. You are constantly being graded on a ridiculous scale that no other department is asked to meet. Biltmore portrays itself as a company that prides itself on employee advancement and career opportunities. Meanwhile the manager makes sure to talk trash about you to any of the other departments to which you apply and denies any requests you make to advance yourself within your own department, only promoting the newest people who have not yet been at the call center long enough to have those markings and ratings affect them. They began with a tenured-based shift system where you would be promised the shift you prefer after a certain amount of time working there. Now if you don't sell sell sell you are part of a shift-bid system and maybe you've been there 5 years or ten but if you aren't a top seller your shift is gone to someone who gives them the most money. You are a dollar sign, the "guest" (or let's get real...customer) is a dollar sign and all that matters is that, in their words, you "love and shove" to get them off the phone and make as much money as soon as possible. Look elsewhere if you are interested in helping people and yourself.
Horrible
Cook (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 13, 2019
Horrible experience the year I was there extremely poor management, expected you to bust your butt and yell at you if you arnt “moving fast enough” would work 55 hours a week and tend to not be appreciated
Pros
Money
Great place ..bad mangement
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 1, 2019
They had people in management that shold never have been there ...its lile the buddy system if you dont fit in with there little clicks you will habe hard time...my supervisor did not know how to do his job dont know i know how he got it by being a but kisser only way to advance here sad to say but true
Co workers are great
Wine Associate/ Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 14, 2019
Little chance for advancement unless you're young and pretty. Then you go straight to the Wine Bar and make lots of money. Hard to get recognized. You work for tips in the Tasting Room, but it's discouraged.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
Short breaks, too many managers
Love being a retail sales associate Carriage House shops @ Biltmore
Retail sales associate (Current Employee) –  Carriage House shopsMarch 8, 2019
It is a great place to work; fellow employees are fun to work with, mgmt is very supportive and helpful. If you enjoy meeting new people--we have guests coming in from all over the world--it's great hearing their stories and why they came to visit Biltmore--if you want to have new adventures and experiences each day and learn and share ideas--then Biltmore is the place to be! Wonderful perks, the people and the beauty of the estate--and get paid to work there!!
Pros
As noted below
Cons
none--if you want more insurance, more hours or paid leave, then apply for a full time position. I'm retired and first was reserve (part-time), then moved up to FLEX which offers more benefits and work time.
Don't go to the Winery
Wine Server (Current Employee) –  WineryMarch 2, 2019
I've been hesitant about writing this review but I hope that someone going to the Career Fair coming up might be given an honest overview. I wish someone had given me the inside scoop before I signed-on. Please, if you're looking for a part-time job on the guest-facing side, try to go Food and Bev. You'll make a lot more and be a lot less frustrated and overwhelmed. Plus, you might get free lunch and won't have to deal with the scandal-filled, chaotic environment of the winery. My winery coworkers are decent and theres good teamwork but being behind a counter for hours then encountering snippy, unsympathetic supervisors and a small paycheck can get very old.

Here are some of the biggest issues ive encountered as a tasting room server:
-No livable wage
-Waiting a long time to get full-time and health insurance (think 8-10 months or longer)
-Suspicious changes in management and leadership
-Late nights and being asked to stay past the end of your shift
-Hardly any appreciation or effort to retain good staff
-A management culture that seems far removed from ordinary staff and day-to-day operations. They also seem very willing to heavily rely on gossip to form opinions on people
-Favoritism and retaliation shown in schedules depending on whether you're on good or bad terms with those making scheduling decisions
-Terrible communication between supervisors/manager and staff
-Working holidays on a non-livable wage.... If you aren't working on the holidays themselves, you will have to work the days around the holidays so watch out if you have family plans!
Pros
a pretty place to work, free tickets
Cons
no livable wage, low retention, waiting forever for full-time benefits
Amazon delivery contract job
Drive (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 25, 2019
People please beware if you have a job and you thinking to switch to work for this company do yourself a favor don't do it you will regret it. They hire nothing but Young guys to be managers which they don't have no respect or the consideration of your beehive they will still hours away from you that you work just because they want to keep you under 40 hours the stress they put you through to get the job done it's not worth it you be driving around speeding down the road trying to deliver 300 packages and their want you to do it on under 10 hours when you go there for your interview they will promise the world to you they will tell you that you will get 40 hours as soon as you don't get 300 packages delivered under 10 hour shift they will cut your days down to two days a week. They don't care if you have a family to take care of they only think of themselves.. you have to think they have a contract with Amazon so their mission is to make sure that they can get the most packages deliver out of you for less than 10 hours a day they pressure you to get the job done and if you don't get the 300 packages deliver in one day you will be working less hour every week this job it's over promise and very stressful you going to have to break every rules on the road speeding running over stop signs whatever you have to do to get the day done trust me guys it's not worth it at the end of the day this job can cause your life... fair warning if you're guys don't believe me they're is few video on Facebook
Pros
Even you don't take a lunch just still take you hours away
Cons
Stay away there's better places out there
Company as a whole, not too bad. Call center was horrible.
Call Center (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 25, 2019
The Biltmore company as a whole was amazing to work for. I had been a passholder for many years and was very excited about the opportunity to work for a place that I loved. I planned on being there forever and advancing in my career to truly make a long term career out of it. I went to a job fair for the Call Center and everything sounded great. I was so excited when I got the job offer. They train you for a bit before you get on the calls for the call center. The training while I was in training, I thought was fantastic. But once you get on the calls, none of the training you were provided with transfers over. If you ask a question to your supervisor to get clarification, the answer will change depending on which supervisor you ask, and none of those answers match what you are taught during training. They have many policies in the call center that need to be revamped significantly. I missed a day and a half of work because of illness, was always on time, and even signed up for extra hours every time the opportunity arose. However because of missing a single day, I was passed over for a promotion and was told that I had to be in the same shift and position for at least 6 months before I could even be considered for any potential shift changes or advancements. There were people in the center who missed way more days than that and were still allowed to progress. Everything works off of a point system, but they start you with so few points to begin with that they set you up to fail to begin with. If you are considering working at Biltmore, I would recommend it, but not the call  more... center. It was the worst possible experience I have ever had in my life. Of my training class, we started with 10 people, and finished the class with only 4. Of those 4, only 1 is still there. The training following mine, started with 6 people, finished the class with 1, and now has 0 people remaining. Something definitely needs to change and be revamped in the call center to keep up to the standards that the Biltmore company as a whole has.  less
Pros
Good benefits, Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, horrible policies, awful training
Team member (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 3, 2019
I loved working with the Biltmore Company. Lots of perks and management was always kind and understanding. Work was typically fast paced but enjoyable.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Standing for hours on end
Biltmore is like "Hotel California", you can clock in but you can never leave...
associate (Former Employee) –  Biltmore EstateDecember 18, 2018
They are always desperate for help, they never have enough people working NEVER. If you are a hard worker you better watch out they will work you to death and no matter how much you give and how hard you work it is never enough.
Pros
The estate is pretty.
Cons
Always understaffed and they do not pay well.
amazing.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 3, 2018
Always busy, always moving forward, learning all the time. Tons of new artists and events showcased drawing in crowds in the thousands. Loved the atmosphere and clientele.
Pros
Cons
not much
Productive workplace, Ever changing
Floral Displays Staff (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 1, 2018
* Departments work together everyday
* Although not a lot of communication
*learn a lot history about the company
*Definitely a lot of mixed personalities and beliefs
*Expected to do learn
Pros
Discounts and benefits are good
Cons
Communication needs improvement
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 29, 2018
If you’re looking for a job that’s super chill and has awesome employees/managers - the Biltmore Forest Country Club is the place for you! Sure, it can be fast paced at times when there are big club events, but even then it’s never anything you can’t handle. Most of the events are very chill and easy to handle, and I’ll add that the members of the club that you’ll be serving are wonderful. The club has a very strong workcrew, so there’s never a time where you’ll feel overwhelmed. As long as I worked there, I have never experienced a situation where we were short staffed. A serving position at the country club pays 12.50 per hour. It’s a non-tipping country club so the members aren’t obligated to tip you, but sometimes they still do anyway! This job also provides health benefits and mental health counseling/therapy. On top of all that, the country club has an employee break room where breakfast, lunch, and dinner is provided on a daily basis. By far the best place I’ve worked at, the hours were pretty good for the most part and there’s always someone to cover your shifts if need be. I’m a student in college and I think with the flexible hours that the country club can give, anyone in my position should take this offer!
Pros
Good pay, good hours, excellent management, excellent employees, free food, health benefits
Nice job for students, interns, and people who don't rely on this for their sole income
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 27, 2018
It is a beautiful place to work - no doubt. Co-workers are wonderful! The Company is particular about whom it hires - for good reason - and it shows in the employees.
However, the Company is top-heavy with management. And, unfortunately, that management does not know or has lost touch with the value of the front line staff. The front line staff makes that Company because they are the ones who interact and deal with the multitude of guests, and who keep the ratings high. However, the employees who make up the majority of the Company staff are not compensated for that, be they full-time status or not.
The Company touts appreciation of its employees, but does not put their money where their mouth is.
If you have ideas, don't share them. They will either be ignored or you will be chastised for sharing them. Favoritism is rampant.
The longer I was there, the more I saw, and it was disenchanting. So, if you're a student or an intern or just someone who wants a part-time job with no expectations of advancement or adequate pay for a job well-done, this is the job for you.
Integrity is one of the Company's Core Values. That does not seem to apply to the employees.
It's all the bottom line.
Pros
Beautiful grounds, wonderful co-workers, great benefits for full-time
Cons
Too many
Overall a Good Place
Wine Server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 30, 2018
For the most part, I love working at the Biltmore Winery. It is very fast paced, very physical, and I work with a great team of people who never fail to lend a hand whenever and wherever needed.

The uniform rules (esp. for women) are positively Victorian, and not in a good way. Initial BEST training is good for the overall view but trining for specific roles is spotty. They throw people into very busy positions and don't seem to weed out the ones not keeping up or doing their fair share which puts a strain on those who do work hard.

Wages: Not a living wage and for some bizarre reason the word "tips" seems to be a dirty word even though it is customary in many other parts of the Estate.
Pros
Co-workers, atmosphere, challenging, stunning place to drive to work everyday.
Cons
Wages, unfair scheduling (favoritism.)
productive and fun work place with great views
Library Lounge Hostess 1, Tea server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 26, 2018
work area is competitive and seasonal sales, the history of how Biltmore came to be, along with hospitality skills you gain you'll find that a day at Biltmore will enchant you.
Pros
discounts and landscape access
Cons
long hours standing, employee parking
Fun place to work
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 19, 2018
Exciting place to work. Great team and good working conditions.

Lives up to published beliefs. Busy day everyday. Lots of guest opportunities. Hardest part of job was hiring enough help to fulfill guest expectations. Management showed appreciation for job well done.
Room Service Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 16, 2018
Great work environment great people however some managers are not properly trained and lack professionalism but besides all that I must say Biltmore Estate is a great place to work
Great Employees Not so great management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  CedricsSeptember 28, 2018
The staff (not management) are amazing with great respect and support for their co-worker. They were always ready to lend a helping hand greeting tables, running food or drinks, or picking up a shift to help a fellow co-worker out. It's almost like a second family. Most staff stick around because of their co-workers, the benefits for full-time and part-time employee, and it's typically business in the winter months which is rare for the area.

The compensation is good for employees not so much for hourly management. . Due to the lack of compensation for hourly management they are not exactly the cream of crop which translates to a very poor support system for employees. A lot of room for opportunity and improvement with the way situations were handled once brought to management attention. Management will chastise and reprimanded employees for speaking up about issues they observe in the work place, even if they accurate and beneficial to everyones well-being. It doesn't matter if the issue is brought up in a private or public forum, management is not particularly receptive to it. HR is an absolute joke when it comes to these matter as well.

It can be difficult for new employees to get shifts if business is slow because shifts are give first to full-time employees then part-time and last flex position. All new employees start in a flex position and you can't advance up unless someone leaves. It can be frustrating when you are out performing a co-worker but they get the better shifts because of seniority. This was the case a lot of times with the main bartenders who
  more... had become very lax.

If an employee shuts their mouth, keeps their head down and just do what your ordered to do, no problems for you whatsoever. If you don't well it can be a very difficult work environment.
Pros
Family meal, Busy almost year round, Great co-workers, Discounts and benefits in the surrounding areas, Beautiful work area with amazing scenery
Cons
Management not strong, Your a number not a person, Not allowed to voice your opinion, Retaliation for speaking up, If not liked by management you won't be around for long, Shifts are by seniority not merit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Biltmore. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight