Biltmore Culture reviews

Don't go to the Winery
Wine Server (Current Employee) –  WineryMarch 2, 2019
I've been hesitant about writing this review but I hope that someone going to the Career Fair coming up might be given an honest overview. I wish someone had given me the inside scoop before I signed-on. Please, if you're looking for a part-time job on the guest-facing side, try to go Food and Bev. You'll make a lot more and be a lot less frustrated and overwhelmed. Plus, you might get free lunch and won't have to deal with the scandal-filled, chaotic environment of the winery. My winery coworkers are decent and theres good teamwork but being behind a counter for hours then encountering snippy, unsympathetic supervisors and a small paycheck can get very old.

Here are some of the biggest issues ive encountered as a tasting room server:
-No livable wage
-Waiting a long time to get full-time and health insurance (think 8-10 months or longer)
-Suspicious changes in management and leadership
-Late nights and being asked to stay past the end of your shift
-Hardly any appreciation or effort to retain good staff
-A management culture that seems far removed from ordinary staff and day-to-day operations. They also seem very willing to heavily rely on gossip to form opinions on people
-Favoritism and retaliation shown in schedules depending on whether you're on good or bad terms with those making scheduling decisions
-Terrible communication between supervisors/manager and staff
-Working holidays on a non-livable wage.... If you aren't working on the holidays themselves, you will have to work the days around the holidays so watch out if you have family plans!
Pros
a pretty place to work, free tickets
Cons
no livable wage, low retention, waiting forever for full-time benefits
productive and fun work place with great views
Library Lounge Hostess 1, Tea server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 26, 2018
work area is competitive and seasonal sales, the history of how Biltmore came to be, along with hospitality skills you gain you'll find that a day at Biltmore will enchant you.
Pros
discounts and landscape access
Cons
long hours standing, employee parking
Room Service Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 16, 2018
Great work environment great people however some managers are not properly trained and lack professionalism but besides all that I must say Biltmore Estate is a great place to work
Barista (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 8, 2018
My co workers were amazing, and respectful of my recovery. I worked for my stay in Recovery Ventures program. So the whole experience was life changing.
Good place to worl
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 25, 2018
A very good place to worklow pay but great perks need to have pay equal to living in Asheville. Great for people who just need part time pay would highly recommend this place
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Low pay
Not too Shabby.
SALES PHOTOGRAPHER (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NC 28803July 2, 2018
Beautiful Place to work. The scenery is absolutely stunning. So much history. Always a joy walking into work and also leaving. Staff is great. Great guests.
Not the best work environment..but ironically the environment (outside) is the only positive thing about working here
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 9, 2018
I have to agree with all the other negative reviews on here, but there are things i haven't seen mentioned like the Biltmore "standards". Biltmore has a weird culture, there's not much diversity in the employees, women aren't allowed to have certain nail polish, makeup, or jewelry (which is like most professional jobs but Biltmore is particularly strict), and every department has a uniform to distinguish their ranking, unless your upper management and then you can wear what you want. There is no room for advancement and the pay is very low when you consider the amount of work you are expected to do. There is definitely favoritism among management and I am not sure how some people became managers in the first place because of how ineffective they are. I'd like to say the guests redeem the management and weird restrictions but a good portion of them are just plain rude. The only positive thing i have to say is the estate itself is gorgeous and most of my coworkers are nice (but we all agree it's frustrating to work here).
Pros
The estate grounds are beautiful
fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 6, 2018
I loved working at the Biltmore Estate I would love to work there again I would just have to get a car first but over all everything was amazing working for them
Pros
Free lunch
Excellent place to work - Valet at Inn
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 6, 2018
Great Place to work! Very supportive management in the valet and bell roles. Fun culture that always made it a pleasure to come to work. I would have stayed here if I felt I could have put my degree to use.
Pros
Provided lunches at the Inn, Flexible working hours, too many perks to list.
Cons
No opportunity for advancement into other roles
Great time, Great job
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 10, 2018
Everything from the people to the place I loved everything about biltmore I just need something closer to home. My bosses were all very friendly but professional.
Great Place to Work!
food & beverage (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCFebruary 13, 2018
Beautiful place to work, great work environment, excellent management team, awesome benefits and great people to work with. Good training programs and communication with employees.
Love working with our guest
Coordinator - In-room dining (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 3, 2018
My favorite part about working in any work place is the people. Whether it be the co-workers or the guest. The people are who make or break our jobs and it's about your own perspective.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
holidays last forever
Good coworkers
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 1, 2018
Biltmore is a fun and productive place to work, it is very fast-paced and competitive. It has good people to work with to help you if you needed it. I would definitely recommend Biltmore to a friend or a loved one. I learned a lot for it being my first job, I got to work with actual people and got to do hands-on activities. On a typical day at the warehouse, you get there, go to the workroom till we get a call from the boss to tell us what we have to do for the day, then we split up in groups, get in the work trucks and go do the tasks we are assigned to do for the day. Everyone is assigned a different task, we mostly got to work with the same people everyday, our tasks would take mostly all day, then we would regroup back at the warehouse, clock out and say "good-bye".
Pros
Good pay and discounts and good co-workers
Cons
Stressful, long hours
Fast Paced work Environment
Manager of Special Events & Entertainment (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 20, 2017
Very face pace and creative work environment. Great place to work. However, I am Moving to Sylva and the commute is too far. Workplace culture is ver encouraging. The hardest part of the job is the commute. The best part of the job is the guest and staff and overseeing large and small scale events.
Pros
Free Tickets
Cons
Commute
Hard work and amazing culture
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 17, 2017
Typical day was extreme in every way. I learned even the best jobs can be the worst when management is unavailable. The workplace culture was absolutely amazing. The hardest part of working was the refusal of hiring additional employees due to individuals not wanting to shell out more money. Extremely hard for 15-20 employees to provide excellent customer service for thousands of people a day. The most enjoyable part was the scenery, people from all over the world, coworkers, and especially the food.
Pros
Every meal/snack was free
Cons
short/no breaks, eat on the go if at all
fun and engaing
Hotel (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 24, 2017
I enjoy working at Biltmore. Wonderful culture , beautiful property.
The staff is friendly everyone is very helpful. The property is beautiful
Asheville is a great town.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
low salaries
Awesome place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 20, 2017
I loved my job and my coworkers and management. I just wanted evenings and weekends and holidays off. It was a supportive environment, but one would really need to love people and have patience for this position.
Stable Company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 4, 2017
The company is stable and values work/life balance. They also believe in training, leadership development and continuing education.
The approach to growth is often very slow and careful with minimal risk. If you want growth opportunity and high pay, it's slow growth and lower pay.
Pros
Numerous perks working for Biltmore
Cons
Rank and file culture
Excellent internship program
CULINARY INTERN (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 29, 2017
I worked in the kitchens. Everyone was always super friendly. I never felt like I didn't know what to do. I improved my communication and observation skills. The work place culture was very close. Everyone and their families work at Biltmore. Everyone would go out as a group after work. The hours during holiday season are insanity but thats good money. They provided great living situations really close to locations and gave out tickets for working there. Good pay for an internship. I got 10 an hour and full time schedule. Its wonderful kitchen experience because its such a big company they have money to play around with cool food.
Pros
work living
Great
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 29, 2017
Loved this place! Great leadership. Beautiful work environment! Mountains. Innovative menu. Always bust. Cool peeps. Rad chefs. Local farming. Good wine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Biltmore. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight