Biltmore Pay & Benefits reviews

Serious issues they ignore
RESERVATION SALES AGENT BILTMORE (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 30, 2019
When you accept this position, they make it seem like this job is a springboard to other parts of the estate. But the policies they have set in place make it almost impossible to leave or move up. They also have a habit of dangling advancement like a carrot, and then never following through. They don't treat their employees as people. We're just bodies in chairs to answer the phones.
Pros
Co-workers, benefits
Cons
Stressful
Love being a retail sales associate Carriage House shops @ Biltmore
Retail sales associate (Current Employee) –  Carriage House shopsMarch 8, 2019
It is a great place to work; fellow employees are fun to work with, mgmt is very supportive and helpful. If you enjoy meeting new people--we have guests coming in from all over the world--it's great hearing their stories and why they came to visit Biltmore--if you want to have new adventures and experiences each day and learn and share ideas--then Biltmore is the place to be! Wonderful perks, the people and the beauty of the estate--and get paid to work there!!
Pros
As noted below
Cons
none--if you want more insurance, more hours or paid leave, then apply for a full time position. I'm retired and first was reserve (part-time), then moved up to FLEX which offers more benefits and work time.
Don't go to the Winery
Wine Server (Current Employee) –  WineryMarch 2, 2019
I've been hesitant about writing this review but I hope that someone going to the Career Fair coming up might be given an honest overview. I wish someone had given me the inside scoop before I signed-on. Please, if you're looking for a part-time job on the guest-facing side, try to go Food and Bev. You'll make a lot more and be a lot less frustrated and overwhelmed. Plus, you might get free lunch and won't have to deal with the scandal-filled, chaotic environment of the winery. My winery coworkers are decent and theres good teamwork but being behind a counter for hours then encountering snippy, unsympathetic supervisors and a small paycheck can get very old.

Here are some of the biggest issues ive encountered as a tasting room server:
-No livable wage
-Waiting a long time to get full-time and health insurance (think 8-10 months or longer)
-Suspicious changes in management and leadership
-Late nights and being asked to stay past the end of your shift
-Hardly any appreciation or effort to retain good staff
-A management culture that seems far removed from ordinary staff and day-to-day operations. They also seem very willing to heavily rely on gossip to form opinions on people
-Favoritism and retaliation shown in schedules depending on whether you're on good or bad terms with those making scheduling decisions
-Terrible communication between supervisors/manager and staff
-Working holidays on a non-livable wage.... If you aren't working on the holidays themselves, you will have to work the days around the holidays so watch out if you have family plans!
Pros
a pretty place to work, free tickets
Cons
no livable wage, low retention, waiting forever for full-time benefits
Company as a whole, not too bad. Call center was horrible.
Call Center (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJanuary 25, 2019
The Biltmore company as a whole was amazing to work for. I had been a passholder for many years and was very excited about the opportunity to work for a place that I loved. I planned on being there forever and advancing in my career to truly make a long term career out of it. I went to a job fair for the Call Center and everything sounded great. I was so excited when I got the job offer. They train you for a bit before you get on the calls for the call center. The training while I was in training, I thought was fantastic. But once you get on the calls, none of the training you were provided with transfers over. If you ask a question to your supervisor to get clarification, the answer will change depending on which supervisor you ask, and none of those answers match what you are taught during training. They have many policies in the call center that need to be revamped significantly. I missed a day and a half of work because of illness, was always on time, and even signed up for extra hours every time the opportunity arose. However because of missing a single day, I was passed over for a promotion and was told that I had to be in the same shift and position for at least 6 months before I could even be considered for any potential shift changes or advancements. There were people in the center who missed way more days than that and were still allowed to progress. Everything works off of a point system, but they start you with so few points to begin with that they set you up to fail to begin with. If you are considering working at Biltmore, I would recommend it, but not the call  more... center. It was the worst possible experience I have ever had in my life. Of my training class, we started with 10 people, and finished the class with only 4. Of those 4, only 1 is still there. The training following mine, started with 6 people, finished the class with 1, and now has 0 people remaining. Something definitely needs to change and be revamped in the call center to keep up to the standards that the Biltmore company as a whole has.  less
Pros
Good benefits, Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, horrible policies, awful training
Productive workplace, Ever changing
Floral Displays Staff (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCDecember 1, 2018
* Departments work together everyday
* Although not a lot of communication
*learn a lot history about the company
*Definitely a lot of mixed personalities and beliefs
*Expected to do learn
Pros
Discounts and benefits are good
Cons
Communication needs improvement
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 29, 2018
If you’re looking for a job that’s super chill and has awesome employees/managers - the Biltmore Forest Country Club is the place for you! Sure, it can be fast paced at times when there are big club events, but even then it’s never anything you can’t handle. Most of the events are very chill and easy to handle, and I’ll add that the members of the club that you’ll be serving are wonderful. The club has a very strong workcrew, so there’s never a time where you’ll feel overwhelmed. As long as I worked there, I have never experienced a situation where we were short staffed. A serving position at the country club pays 12.50 per hour. It’s a non-tipping country club so the members aren’t obligated to tip you, but sometimes they still do anyway! This job also provides health benefits and mental health counseling/therapy. On top of all that, the country club has an employee break room where breakfast, lunch, and dinner is provided on a daily basis. By far the best place I’ve worked at, the hours were pretty good for the most part and there’s always someone to cover your shifts if need be. I’m a student in college and I think with the flexible hours that the country club can give, anyone in my position should take this offer!
Pros
Good pay, good hours, excellent management, excellent employees, free food, health benefits
Nice job for students, interns, and people who don't rely on this for their sole income
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCNovember 27, 2018
It is a beautiful place to work - no doubt. Co-workers are wonderful! The Company is particular about whom it hires - for good reason - and it shows in the employees.
However, the Company is top-heavy with management. And, unfortunately, that management does not know or has lost touch with the value of the front line staff. The front line staff makes that Company because they are the ones who interact and deal with the multitude of guests, and who keep the ratings high. However, the employees who make up the majority of the Company staff are not compensated for that, be they full-time status or not.
The Company touts appreciation of its employees, but does not put their money where their mouth is.
If you have ideas, don't share them. They will either be ignored or you will be chastised for sharing them. Favoritism is rampant.
The longer I was there, the more I saw, and it was disenchanting. So, if you're a student or an intern or just someone who wants a part-time job with no expectations of advancement or adequate pay for a job well-done, this is the job for you.
Integrity is one of the Company's Core Values. That does not seem to apply to the employees.
It's all the bottom line.
Pros
Beautiful grounds, wonderful co-workers, great benefits for full-time
Cons
Too many
productive and fun work place with great views
Library Lounge Hostess 1, Tea server (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCOctober 26, 2018
work area is competitive and seasonal sales, the history of how Biltmore came to be, along with hospitality skills you gain you'll find that a day at Biltmore will enchant you.
Pros
discounts and landscape access
Cons
long hours standing, employee parking
Great Employees Not so great management
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  CedricsSeptember 28, 2018
The staff (not management) are amazing with great respect and support for their co-worker. They were always ready to lend a helping hand greeting tables, running food or drinks, or picking up a shift to help a fellow co-worker out. It's almost like a second family. Most staff stick around because of their co-workers, the benefits for full-time and part-time employee, and it's typically business in the winter months which is rare for the area.

The compensation is good for employees not so much for hourly management. . Due to the lack of compensation for hourly management they are not exactly the cream of crop which translates to a very poor support system for employees. A lot of room for opportunity and improvement with the way situations were handled once brought to management attention. Management will chastise and reprimanded employees for speaking up about issues they observe in the work place, even if they accurate and beneficial to everyones well-being. It doesn't matter if the issue is brought up in a private or public forum, management is not particularly receptive to it. HR is an absolute joke when it comes to these matter as well.

It can be difficult for new employees to get shifts if business is slow because shifts are give first to full-time employees then part-time and last flex position. All new employees start in a flex position and you can't advance up unless someone leaves. It can be frustrating when you are out performing a co-worker but they get the better shifts because of seniority. This was the case a lot of times with the main bartenders who
  more... had become very lax.

If an employee shuts their mouth, keeps their head down and just do what your ordered to do, no problems for you whatsoever. If you don't well it can be a very difficult work environment.
Pros
Family meal, Busy almost year round, Great co-workers, Discounts and benefits in the surrounding areas, Beautiful work area with amazing scenery
Cons
Management not strong, Your a number not a person, Not allowed to voice your opinion, Retaliation for speaking up, If not liked by management you won't be around for long, Shifts are by seniority not merit
Average
Security Guard / Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 25, 2018
The Management had problems, There was a lot of in fighting and gossip. The pay wasn't great, but no worse than any other bad pay rate in the exploitative state of North Carolina.
Pros
Steady Employment
Cons
Bad Pay, Low Benefits, No Room for Advancement
Great benefits and can be exceptional pay. Life/Work balance is skewed during busy seasons.
Server/Bartender Trainer (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCSeptember 16, 2018
Consistently busy enterprise offering a variety of opportunities. Great ground floor experience for new entrants into hospitality industry. Company offers part-time or fulltime employment to suit needs of those wanting extra income or those seeking a career.
Pros
Insurance, 401k program, discounts.
Cons
Can be demanding on work/life balance during busy stretches.
Corporate for company profit
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 28, 2018
No matter how hard you work or bring your previous skills to this company they simply don't care.
You are a number in a corporate number generating corporation. They also don't have any idea what they are doing

The management couldn't manage a lemon stand for a five year old. If you have no inspirations in life this is a great job.

If you just want a job and need to be insulted on a daily basis by worthless management then this is your job

. Count on bad schedules , low pay. Sub standard health care and benefits. Don't ask for a raise no matter how hard you work. Not happening

If you just need temporary employment I would consider another outlet. Its not worth your time
. My final anology. Arrogant sub standard business practices. Waste of time.
Pros
Sub standard food perk
Cons
Company is arrogant. It is a tourist trap for a historical family and wealth
Good placeto work. Reall great place.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 25, 2018
Good place to work. Free lunch, plenty of perks to working here. Free Biltmore tickets. Family is big here they talk about your family their family all the time.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
there really isnt any
Good place to worl
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 25, 2018
A very good place to worklow pay but great perks need to have pay equal to living in Asheville. Great for people who just need part time pay would highly recommend this place
Pros
Great perks
Cons
Low pay
fun place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 6, 2018
I loved working at the Biltmore Estate I would love to work there again I would just have to get a car first but over all everything was amazing working for them
Pros
Free lunch
Great Co-workers
Inn on Biltmore Estate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 28, 2018
Great learning opportunities. Hires wonderful people. The Inn has wonderful benefits; uniform, lunch, tickets, uniform cleaning. A company you can be proud of in the community.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Some managers can be disengaged
Beautiful place to work
Inn AM Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 9, 2018
A typical work day for me is saying good morning to my team and then looking at my overall priorities for the day. This is just before the F&B outlets get busy. I like to check with guests to ensure their overall experience is going smoothly. This is the most enjoyable part of my day. Once the F&B outlets have been checked thoroughly, I then focus some of my time with office priorities just before meetings in the afternoon. Once meetings are over for the day I will finish up any office work necessary and follow up with my team members or guest experiences before leaving for the day.
Pros
Lunch, discounts, great benefits, complementary tickets
Overall a Good Place to Work
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 1, 2018
The Biltmore Company has its quirks just like any other company, but its drawbacks are probably still less than those of most companies. The main issue is that the management in certain departments is not always totally competent, because the company seems to promote based on favoritism more so than qualifications. Other than this, the perks and benefits to employees are great, and it is mostly a very fun place to work.
Asheville's Shining Jewel made possible by underpaid and underhelped employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 2, 2018
Oh Biltmore.

I'm sure it's standing with Asheville and bringing money through tourism is beneficial-- being employed here is much, much more lack luster.
The pay compared to living cost in Asheville makes this job barely make ends meet. And that is with myself living with roommates, I do not think I could ever live on my own with this pay and I'm not sure how anyone actually does.
The management is an absolute mess of communication and if you go a day without two uppers telling you two different things, then you're having a good day.
Every single manager we have was hired out too.

The only 5 stars I gave are, as I'm lucky enough to be Full Time, towards the benefits offered. Their programs for full time employees are great too, and seem to be increasing.
However, our area that manages four different places of establishments/separate buildings only has 4-5 full time employees, and rather would make everyone else work OVER full time overs but not give them any benefits as their title isn't "technically" full time.
It's honestly absolutely no wonder everyone, including myself, are looking for jobs elsewhere.

If it's not the people employees here, it's the absolute monsters of "guests" we receive and are considerably some of the worst people I have ever met who are somehow sincerely unhappy with their stay and make it a point to make your time bad as well.

I would recommend people this job only to smack the name on their resumes and ride the cocktails of the companies note worthy service to a different job.
Pros
Free food, good company name to your resumes, good benefits if you can work your way into part time
Cons
Too much to list, horrible customers, poor management, and all around just not worth the pay
Good place to work.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 17, 2018
Good place to work.People are nice to work with. Benefits could be better and the hourly wage could be better. Working conditions are very good. Flex able schedule for all employees.
Pros
flex schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Biltmore. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight