Binder Park Zoo Employee Reviews

high school job
Food Prep/Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MI 49014November 29, 2018
great summer job but it doesn't pay much. Management could have been better but it is seasonal and there's not much to expect from that. It was my first job and though i did enjoy it most times, i wont ever be back because of pay.
Pros
free food
Cons
a lot of hours
Fun if you like animals but thats about it.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 28, 2018
Its a great place to get to know the animals and all of their characteristics. You do not get advanced in your position at all even if you've been there for years. Management isn't the best. You work like a slave and get paid minimum wage, no raises. Only benefits you get is to get in the zoo for free and half off a meal if you buy from one of the resturants. Be prepared to work in all types of weather.
Pros
Free to get in to zoo
Cons
Low pay, bad hours, no advancement.
Who Loves the Zoo
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIAugust 3, 2018
I loved working here; you got to see the animals everyday, you are able to get your family in to see them and experience also. working in the food stand wasnt my first choice, but i had fun. you don't know how much you enjoy a place till you get emursed into it.
Hard but fun work
Face Painter (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 7, 2018
The zoo is a very fun place to work- at least for face painters- but it is a lot of work. You are work full days in the heat or sometimes in the rain, you do not sit down, and it is very fast paced. That being said, the people are great and it is so fun to make guests happy.
Pros
Great staff, customers
Cons
weather conditions
A great place to start your zoo career
Director of Conservation Education (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIFebruary 20, 2018
I started as a lowly intern and left as a member of the leadership staff.

The work was demanding, fulfilling. The leadership challenged you to do your best. If you were lazy or dishonest, you didn't last long.

Many of my colleagues that worked with and for me have moved onto other zoos across the US. San Diego, Cincinnati, Fort Wayne, Disney, Sea World.

Most of the management "worked their way up" through the ranks. The culture was amazing, we were allowed to have fun but we also knew we had a job to do.

The hardest part of the job for me was the long hours, and, long stretches of days in a row without a day off.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the seeing the conservation work getting accomplished.

I will note that you WILL NOT get rich working at Binder Park Zoo. If you are in this for the money, go elsewhere. If you want to work at a place that has a high expectation of ethics, creativity, and cost effectiveness, this is a great place to work.
Pros
Culture, Quality, great first zoo job, conservation work
Cons
Long hours, lower than expected pay
Fun place to work and surrounded by beautiful nature and animals
Retail Employee (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 29, 2017
I love working at Binder Park Zoo because everyone is excited to learn about the animals and it's my job to answer their questions. This job provided me with the confidence I needed to speak in public and the responsibility I needed by allowing me to take care of animals and teaching classes for children.
Pros
Discounted food and gift shop. Free zoo membership for you and your family
Cons
Not a year round job
Very fun place to work
Cart Side Food Service, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIDecember 12, 2017
It was my favorite place to work. I always enjoyed going to work. My coworkers made every day fun and enjoying the animals was the best thing . I would go back if it paid more
Fast paced environment. Great co-workers
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 20, 2017
Binder park zoo is a fun, upbeat workplace. People come from all over the United States, and even sometimes around the world. We hope to attract more guests as we just opened our new lion exhibit.
Pros
Half of lunches. Free drinks.
Cons
Sometimes work long days when not busy.
Good Seasonal Opportunities for First Time Employees
Entrance Staff (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIApril 1, 2017
A great way to get experience on your resume as a first summer job. The work environment is fun and you may get the chance to glimpse at some behind-the-scenes stuff at the zoo. However, don't expect many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Get to work outside, fun summer events
Cons
Only one short lunch break no matter of shift length
Overall great place to work
ACCOUNTING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 21, 2016
While management could be difficult at times, they were flexible with my hours when I had family matters to tend to. And although I was not able to have 2 days off in a row, they would often compensate for it by allowing me to leave early or come in later on days I wasn't needed as much.
Pros
Great people, good benefits for a non-profit
Cons
Amazingly rewarding and a great learing experience
Animal Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 12, 2016
Days varied depending on keeper area being worked that day, but focused on cleaning and taking care of zoo animals and enclosures. Everyone was very nice and inviting to new comers. The job could be very physically tasking at times, but that's to be expected. The best part of the job was getting to be around and learn about all the animals you were working with.
Pros
working with zoo animals
Cons
temporary (internship)
Fun place to work when given hours
Front register (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 7, 2015
A typical day working at the zoo would start out slow and boring. After around noon, people would start to roll in. In all honesty, I did not learn very much considering I have only worked four times since being hired. The other workers there however were nice. the management was picky about your appearance. One manager said a nose stud for a nose ring was okay but another told the person to take it out. the job was not difficult at all. An enjoyable part about this job was that on breaks you could look at the animals.
Pros
free food, free entry into the zoo
Cons
never enough hours, you have to pay for drinks.
Loved working with volunteers and animals
Communication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 22, 2013
Binder Park Zoo is a great place no matter what. I created publications for the Zoo and its events, managed 10-12 special events per year, trained docents in public speaking, photographed animals, recruited, hired, trained and supervised college interns. Low pay, lots of hours.
Pros
Natural environment, animals
Cons
Low pay; weekends
Well organized internship with many different types of animal interactions.
Animal Care Intern (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJuly 28, 2013
Every morning starts with a meeting going over every area of the zoo and what needed to be accomplished that day. Then morning exhibits inspections and cleaning was done. Animals were given morning diets and released to exhibits. Inside inclosures were then cleaned and sanitized in prepartion for the night. This was done for all the animals in care that day. Night time diets were prepared and put in before animals were brough off exhibit for the night. The day ending meeting and record keeping was done after all animals were in for the night.

I learned a diversity of animal care and increased my record keeping skills through daily logs of the animals cared for. Diet preperation and exhibit management was learned for all species within the zoo.

The management of the zoo keepers and interns was done by three managers that also worked with animals on a daily basis.

The zoo keepers provided good learning and educational atmosphere. They were eager to explaiin what was happening and answer any questions. Hands on learning experiences were provided with increased communication skills both verbal and written.

I enjoyed every part of my internship at the zoo. It was a great learning experience and motivated me even more to become a zoo keeper. In this internship I had the opportunity to rotate through every area of animal care in the zoo. I also got the chance to work in the vet hospital and diet preparation areas as well as with the animals.

Working with all different types of animals was extremly enjoyable. Also, working with other zoo keepers and learning from them
  more... was nice. Interacting with the guests about the animals lives and exhibits.  less
Pros
Learning about different species and how to properly care for them in a first hand manner.
Cons
The intership was only a summer position and not long term.
Great environment to work.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIApril 12, 2013
Typical days at work consisted of getting out early in the morning to collect all trash from the day before and cleaning bathrooms. I learned that when you work hard with a smile all guests will return the same smile to you. The management at Binder Park Zoo was fantastic, they came to work and worked just as hard as the rest of us and that was great to see. My co-workers were great, there was never a day I did not meet someone new while working at the zoo. The hardest part of my job was the summer heat and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the guests happy with all of my hard work.
Pros
free zoo memberships
Cons
heat
Many seasnoal opportunites with several departments to choose from.
Physical Plant (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJanuary 30, 2013
A fun place to work with friendly staff. Offers a variety of work with educational opportunities with all the animals.
Pros
a place for family activities
Cons
little job security or loyalty to employees
Great place to work, you feel and know that you are important
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMay 2, 2012
When I run the register, I go in and count my drawer to make sure that I have the correct amount of cash i am to have in my drawer. At the end of the day assist with the clean up of the restaurant, and I count my money and make sure that my drawer balances at the end of the day. In the lobby I set up the condiments for the hot dogs/hamburgers, I make sure the tables and trays are done, keep the dishes caught up and sweep up the floor and make sure the trashes are emptied.
Pros
i enjoy working with the public
Cons
seasonal job