Bio-Rad, Inc. Employee Reviews

I am a hard working person and I learn easy of every task I was given
LEAD PERSON TECHNICAL ASSEMBLER (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAJuly 7, 2018
Working in bio-rad is the best experience I ever had. People are friendly and supervisors and managers are all appreciative and they acknowledge your work.
Pros
Company bbq annually free lunch on holidays and free lunch quarterly
Cons
Not applicable
great co-workers
Master Builder (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 5, 2018
Good place to work, lots of talented folks to work with
enjoyed the challenges and the work itself, good group of engineers to learn from and advance my career good solid company effort in development of future product for health care. the rnvironement was good to work in
Pros
talented folks to work with
Cons
commute to cambridge
Loved the people. Very accommodating with personal life issues.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodinville, WAJune 19, 2018
Go in and do your work kinda of atmosphere. Easy to make friends.
A bit a of a disconnect between departments. They offer a lot of overtime if someone wanted to get extra hours.
Sometimes we lacked the resources needed to get the job done.
Good Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 16, 2018
Bio-Rad is a good company overall. It is very political and it seems like they prefer to hire from outside. The culture seems to be less personable and friendly.
Pros
No work on weekends or holidays
Cons
Losing friendly open culture
Infrastructure Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAMay 7, 2018
Great place to work. Healthy peer-to-peer relationship. Got opportunities for good work to raise up the ladder. Very stable and good company to work for.
Good Job
Sales Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAMay 4, 2018
Bio-Rad is a great place to work. I have enjoyed my time here and have no real complaints. I was able to identify some of my real passions to advance my career engaging with others across many departments.
Good place to learn for first job
Chemist II (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAApril 27, 2018
It's a good place to learn about the industry. The department I was in allowed me to explore and learn many different molecular biology techniques that I learned in college courses.
Would recommend
Financial Accountant (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAApril 3, 2018
Salary for job title is highly competitive.

Company is slow to adapt to change. Not as flexible and work/life balance for employees doesn't seem priority.
lack of leadership and vision
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAMarch 20, 2018
I think the company realizes this and has been starting to drum up communication about vision and leadership. But important initiatives continue to be 'spoken' about and never acted on.

Projects and decisions continue to be made and executed with myopic vision to painful results.

An organization engineered for positive outcomes will do well even with mediocre resources. Bio-Rad often felt like the opposite, with people that could do a lot more stuck in a constant state of not being able improve.

There's also a lack of focus on customer-centricity which manifests in different parts of the organization.

That said, this does not describe every group in the company, and lots of things are done right.

Over all a good company, but it could / should be so much more.
Pros
Great Campus. People are nice. Good life/work balance
Cons
Lack of accountability. If you raise an issue, you own it.
Temp to hire
Packaging technician (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 16, 2018
Was assigned as a temp to hire placement. They treat all employees, temps or permanent the same. If you have criminal background can put you at a disadvantage.
Engaging and friendly.
Global Demand Planning Manager (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAMarch 16, 2018
Bio-Rad's culture makes the workplace comfortable and familial. Employees are upbeat and enthusiastic about the company mission and products.

The global nature of the company presents interesting challenges and opportunities, as does the wide variety of products.
Pros
Relaxed culture that retains a push for improvement.
Cons
Slow executive decision-making
Experience with Bio-Rad
SOA Infrastructure Lead (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAMarch 13, 2018
If you want to stay with Bio-Rad for the rest of your career without worrying about updating your skills, then you are at the right place. Slow in adapting to latest technologies. No appreciation for work. Internal politics. No career advancements
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No career advancements
Interesting tech, poor process
Contract Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  La Habra, CAMarch 9, 2018
Working with the team provides good experience with many different types of hardware and provides an interesting experience working with laboratory equipment. Sometimes though, issues can occur with management zoning out and not caring until it is too late to make a difference. In general, development is unconcerned with following the SCRUM process correctly, only doing parts that are convenient and ignoring everything else. It makes it harder for the team to also stay focused since it seems to me the product owners and management never step in to indicate what is priority, causing a bit of chaos when it comes to deciding what to do per iteration.
Overall, there is a chance for growth and the team is willing to learn new technologies to see what works better for them, rather than always sticking to the same thing.
Pros
Interest in using new technology and resources
Cons
Inability of team to follow SCRUM process correctly, lack of attention to any project by management and product owner
lack of career advancement for field employees
Rep (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAMarch 1, 2018
Many structural changes and high turnover rate lately, poor management and poor insights in new product development and acquisition. Very limited career advancement opportunities for field-based staff.
Pros
stock option
productive and fun
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAFebruary 15, 2018
productive and fun at work, management are cool/not fair i learn a lot nice enviroment. production fast pace.hardest part dealing with power tripping.
Pros
n/a
Cons
shortbreaks
Productive community of hard workers that are very welcoming
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAFebruary 7, 2018
I cannot say enough how thankful I was to get an Opportunity to work at Bio-Rad Labs in Santa Rosa. The entire staff was welcoming and greeted me with open arms at the beginning. I never felt like an outsider and they worked with me extensively to make sure I knew the standards of the work that was getting done. The management is also very confident in their employees and I respected the trust they had in us. I would highly recommend this company.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Stable company, but lack of opportunity in certain depts
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 1, 2018
Stable company, but some depts. lack good management. Some managers do not lead their team, and are only concerned about their own advancement. Changes are afoot so hopefully things will improve. Also lack of transparency and a "blame" culture has been prevalent.
Pros
Good health benefits and profit sharing
Cons
Some very poor managers and culture
Document Control
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  West Sacramento, CAJanuary 29, 2018
The work itself was not difficult. However, I received contradictory information about what was expected.

I did learn to package product, which added to my experience.
Pros
On-the-job-training
Cons
I received contradictory information about what was expected.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sr. Global Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hercules, CAJanuary 21, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the US and international travel, wrting the service manual, and the training. I got to visit Japan, China, Singapore Australia, France, Italy, Spain, and Germany.
Political Culture
Director Quality, Regulatory and Compliance (Former Employee) –  Hercules, CAJanuary 11, 2018
At the management level, it may be difficult to influence change. It is in general a culture of consensus with some exceptions. At a lower management position, it is a less stressful environment. People seem to like working at Bio-Rad, specially in manufacturing where there is more teamwork and collaboration environment.
Pros
Company events throughout the year
Cons
Not progressive leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bio-Rad, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Powered by Comparably

42out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Bio-Rad, Inc..