BioMarin Employee Reviews

Patient Focus
Quality Control In-Process Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJune 8, 2018
Great place to work. Good opportunities for professional development. Culture based on collaboration, common objectives and productivity. Genuine focus on team building.
Pros
Great opportunities for professional development
Cons
Slow progress on compliance
Contract to FTE
CMO Associate (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAApril 8, 2018
Rewarded with greater responsibilities and bonus payments if you take initiative and yield results.
Communication needs work in some group-to-group relationships, as well as some department-to-department relationships.
Set your own example and lead from behind, you will find other like-minded individuals.
High volume of work combined with some gaps in processes and communication can lead to stressful and rushed deadlines.
Good individual relationships with my direct manager and team members.
Fun and Exciting place to Work For
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAFebruary 19, 2018
Overall a great company focusing on treatment for rare genetic disease. Talented group of scientist to work with. Great culture and health benefits. A place to start you career and see yourself grow within the company.
Pros
Managers are reachable to discuss issues.
Doing Great Things
Purification Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Novato, CADecember 15, 2017
Great company to work for but going through some growing pains. Currently experimenting with different types of shift schedules and reducing the space for manufacturing associates to advance. Slow to advance people unless they are right in front of upper management (office management, not floor supervisors).
Pros
Great People and Good Products
Cons
Slow to advance their employees
Contract Manufacturing Position
Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Novato, CASeptember 25, 2017
Great, motivated coworkers mostly, a few bad apples ruin the culture on some shifts and aren't addressed by management.

Great place to get your foot in the door. Room for advancement depends on who your boss / department is. If you work in a department with a bad reputation don't expect much of a reception from management for new ideas, even if you are successful and save the company hundreds of manhours and money.

Business side has a fool-proof strategy using orphan drug status to grow company exponentially. Only problem with this are the huge growing pains - lack of experienced individuals, decrease in benefits, more corporate workplace, bloating of administrative systems used by staff for upper management to see data 100 different ways.
Cons
upper management unaware or unwilling to solve problems of toxic coworkers
Finance Manager, Development Science (R&D) (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 7, 2017
Overall the experience greatly depends on which group you join. Some groups are amazing, others not so much. My experience in Finance has been great.
Pros
free breakfast
Good Place to work
"ERP Systems Roadmap & Governance" Co-Team Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 22, 2017
Nice people to work with, easy approachable and helpful.
Best in class technology and very motivated people to guide you to achieve the best. Management is also very supportive towards people contribution to work.
Biomarin is an excellent Biotech company to work for.
QA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Novato, CANovember 29, 2016
I loved working at Biomarin. It is one of the the best companies I have had the pleasure to work at. The management is among the best I have ever seen.
Pros
Management supports it's employees.
Cons
None that I can think off.
I worked remotely and had the freedom to mamage my own schedule
Sr. Assessment Mgr., GMP Compliance (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 21, 2016
Excellent company with innovative technologies and open to creative thinking. Wonderfully talented individuals/co-workers and a world-class management team. Travel was definitely a tough part of the job, but interacting with so many diverse companies was hugely rewarding. A typical day at work could range from booking travel, to conducting audits, issuing reports, closing reports, maintaining metrics, and attending meetings to report out findings.
Pros
Learning new technolgies such as Isolators, animal testing, etc.
Cons
Excessive travel
Excellent Culture
Institutional Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 26, 2016
Wonderful forward thinking company. Treats patients and employees amazing.
-Lots of travel 90%
-Extensive learning in genetics and rare disease
-Management is very forward thinking and looks at business from all angles
-Co-workers are highly skilled and very accountable
-Hardest part of the job is the extensive travel
-The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new clients
Not a Good Place to work
EAM Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAJune 30, 2015
This was a temporary position. Did not like this position. No communication with supervisor. I data entry all day here had questions supervisor was not around to answer questions regarding the project I am working on
Pros
free breakfast every wednesday
Cons
lack of communication
Great Company doing great things.
IT Professional (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAApril 16, 2015
Exciting place to work providing very dynamic environment with great people.

Lots of state of the art IT projects to get involved with providing an excellent place to work.
Operating like a Private Club
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAMarch 1, 2015
Good Projects, Poor management, Not Rewarding Invention / Hard Work / "Out Side the Box" Thinking, Denying Credit when it is Due
Great group of people in the Cell Culture Process Development team
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Novato, CAOctober 26, 2012
Unfortunately I can't write an in-depth review as I was there as a contractor for only a month, but during my time there everyone I worked with was very welcoming, nice, and very willing to show a new guy around.

I would say the most enjoyable parts of the job would be my co-workers there as well as the laid back work environment.

Due to budget changes my position was terminated, which was beyond my boss' control. It was an amicable departure.
Pros
fun people to work with, friday catered lunches
Cons
n/a