Bissell Employee Reviews

I had a very rewarding experience at BISSELL
Liaison for Chairman when out of the office (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49544August 3, 2018
I had been hired to as the personal/executive assistant to the Chairman of the Board at BISSELL. This was a very rewarding job and I learned a great deal from Mr. Bissell.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Sometimes long hours
The food was great
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIJune 26, 2018
Bissell will invest in your college education but will not invest in you. If you started at the bottom and worked hard at getting a degree, the managers only remember where you've been and not see the potential that you could be. Bissell likes to hire those that have bachelors degree ,no matter what that degree is in. Also image is everything as is appearance. I
Pros
Cafeteria, paid vacation, holidays off.
Cons
Managers dont see your potential
warehouse work
Shipping & Receiving specialist (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJune 5, 2018
the company is a great one to work for. they have fair wages and tuition reimbursement. they take care of there own. alot of the people who work there have been there for 10+ years
Pros
Strong team work ethic.
Cons
Technology is a little behind customer expectations.
Good company
Bi-lingual Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2018
It was a great learning experience. I learned a lot in the HR office environment. The hotel is beautiful and a great place to work. Loved the staff!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Contractor position
Specialist Technician-Systems (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 27, 2018
This was a great place to work and I regret leaving this company for a job that promised a great career but gave nothing. Would love to work here again
Pros
Great environment, Outstanding people
Good company. Poor management
Network Administrator 1 (Current Employee) –  Walker, MINovember 15, 2017
Management has a tendency to create a stressful work environment. The company cares a lot about work life balance. They attempt to care about the employee but fall short.
Anything can be changed with a drop of a hat
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Walker, MINovember 14, 2017
Like over reviewers, I loved the people I worked with. They were such a humongous value to the company, disappointingly the top doesn't see that when they decide to jump on the next bigger and better thing and restructure. Also, there were claims of harassment from upper management that those who reported it felt like was brushed under the rug.
Pros
Hard working coworkers
Cons
Instability
Factory Job
Bottle Relabeler and Box Packer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 10, 2017
Like a lot of factories, you do the same thing over and over again. I hated the smell of chemicals in the factory. Bosses didn't care about you unless you did your work. No training, they had you pull a lot of screwed up labels off bottles and then put new ones on cause the machines weren't able to do it. Dead end job as well.
Cons
Chemical Smell
clean place and fun to work with great people
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILJuly 18, 2017
easy to get along with everyone its clean I learned more communication skills. I enjoyed being a part of a team that works together and always has a positive attitude.
This place was okay
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Elwood, IL 60421June 19, 2017
It was okay place to work it work here for a month and half and I like the fact we got paid every friday , but you got becareful not to get hurt and ware the right shoes
Computer techniques
Data Entry,ansewering calls shipping,reciving (Former Employee) –  6800 int park way mcallen ,tx 78501June 8, 2017
It was a vacuum company named bissell i did shipping,reciving ,data entry and phone technique,copys,faxing papers.I also worked on productiom line as an inspector .
Pros
Na
Cons
I was satisfied with the shift that i had .
Fun and Good Working Environment
Senior Marketing Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 17, 2017
Overall great place to work. Privately held, so you don't have to deal with the quarterly expectations. In turn, the family is involved and you see the impact of this.

Compensation was fair, I have heard it is better now.

Moved to SAP.
easy work
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Elwood, ILFebruary 2, 2017
friendly employees , light lifting , the environment was real laid back , the best thing of working there was it was real easy work.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
low pay
Very fulfilling
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 7, 2016
Very fulfilling to help people. Professional team of hard working and caring individuals.

Many changes over the years but, all in all wonderful.
The reorganization which occurred 3 -4 years ago ruined this organization's culture and vision.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIAugust 2, 2016
A very lopsided culture with little integrity since the reorganization. Long-time dedicated professionals were either released from the company or driven out by lack of team support and/or lack of intellectual tools to make them successful. BISSELL employed some of the best engineers, executives and managers who not only cared about making an outstanding product, but also doing it with integrity and honor. Once the leadership changed, it was a free-for-all and how can I use you to make my career successful. The pay was never up to par, but after the change in management, the review process made promotion impossible if you were not one of the "chosen few" in Marketing. Marketing plays too large of roll in the "control" of the company decisions. Individuals makes changes that disrupt everything and then leave to better themselves elsewhere. It became an all "show" no real quality to the culture. Customer Care was never a respected part of the success of the organization. It was believed from the top that the "Cost Center" was a necessary evil and those people only had their jobs because they couldn't get jobs anywhere else. Just an example of the lopsided cultural atmosphere. A real shame because BISSELL has such a great founder's story.
Pros
Physical work environment beautiful, cafeteria & coffee lounge great food, company store & product discounts
Cons
No vision, poor management, negative culture with little integrity
Manufacturing Engineer
Manufacturing Engineer/Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIMarch 5, 2016
Same as Irwin Seating. Taught me leadership skills and provided me with engineering education to off site certified institutes. One being Maynard Research Institute.
Pros
Esop
Cons
Moved to Mexico
good work place
Olsten Temp (Former Employee) –  Walker, MISeptember 22, 2015
a assembly line with 12 people and each one has a job to do on one product,,each one puts parts on and sends down the line,,At the end of the line there's one finished product, and by the end of the eight hours we had put 350 vacums together and been tested at the end of the line and then packaged up.
Management Changes have ruined this company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Walker/Grand RapidsJanuary 14, 2015
Management changes that took place about 3-4 years ago absolutely ruined the work environment at this company. Talented managers that wanted the best for the workers and company were replaced with opportunist newbies who knew nothing about the business. Experienced workers were soon sidelined, let go or just quit.
Pros
Nice office space, Discounts on vacuums
Cons
Bad managers
Hard work, some fun.
Assumed lead person responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 13, 2014
Had to meet production quota. Mandatory overtime. Hot factory working on the production line.
The best and the worst all rolled into one building with a great lunch.
Director (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 25, 2014
Beware, get ready to get your back stabbed over and over! However I will say this in my tenure here I worked with some of the most talented and passionate marketers and engineers. That being said, I also worked with some of the worst. Push the envelope and expect to be stabbed in the back because Bissell does not like change. Also the cafeteria and the cooks are amazing. Best lunch you will ever have and very price friendly.
Pros
cafeteria, employees
Cons
management, culture, lazy workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bissell. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about