BJ's Wholesale Club Employee Reviews

Found 3,258 reviews matching the search See all 3,261 reviews
Featured review
BJ's Wholesale Club selected this as a representative review
Excellent Company
Field Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 4, 2019
Wonderful company with opportunities and flexibility.
I enjoyed uncapped commissions, autonomy and support. Very friendly people. Management was very supportive about coaching and always available to answer questions.
Pros
Uncapped commissions, Pto, Flexibility
Cons
Unrealistic sales quotas, high pressure, job security
Fun Workplace
RECOVERY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 25, 2019
I enjoyed working there, I was a clothing recovery clerk. It was a relatively easy job with the weekends being the exception as I was there alone. I'd recommend working there.
Working at bjs was fun but a very active job
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJune 25, 2019
I enjoyed my time working at bjs it was a fun and unique job which allowed me me to meet people and help support my family working at bjs was very stressful because there was no down time but the mangers and employees made it tolerable
Not a great place to stay overtime
Shore Parkway 11214 - Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 25, 2019
This is a good job if you’re trying to get into retail, it’s not a good place to stay overtime. They overwork you so much and the pay isn’t even enough for the amount of work they make you do.
Let me not mention the managers! They don’t know what they’re doing, they don’t know how to communicate. One day one supervisor can tell you one thing and the other says another.. not to mention they don’t tell you things, then when you do something you’re not allowed to do you get in trouble for it...
There’s plenty of favoritism here, there’s plenty of people who get away with many many things. They also play a lot of your hours some people don’t even get 10 hours a week!
Pros
free membership
Cons
Poor management, hectic workplace
Clique oriented
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJune 25, 2019
If you were not a favored employee you were overlooked when it came to promotions and if you were good at what job you did they would keep you in that position. Long time management seems to be coasting to retirement
Cons
Had to fight for breaks, healthcare expensive based on what they pay, ten cent pay raises
Great Job
Cashier/Customer Service/Self-Checkout/Recovery (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2019
Bjs was my first job and I really enjoyed it. I made some mistakes but I had to pay for my action even though they weren’t severe mistakes. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Excellent Team Members, but Horrible Hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brookfield, CTJune 24, 2019
I made a lot of friends at this job. Everyone who works with the customers is friendly and accommodating. Management however is kind of another story. I don't mean to throw them under the bus, half of them are actually really nice and go out of their way to give back to the employees. Free food in the break room is at least a weekly thing, and we'll have themed events like movie days, "ice cream Sunday", etc. about every month. However, the higher ups are kind of in their own world and have no idea what goes on in their own store despite constantly breathing down everyone's neck.

If you're in a department like Deli, Bakery, or a supervisor role, you are almost guaranteed to work overtime on the days that you're scheduled because you will always be understaffed and management refuses to do anything about it. Meanwhile, if you're a cashier you'll get almost no shifts unless you basically volunteer to learn everything for no extra pay.

Management will boast about how the opportunities to "try out for new roles" are outstanding, but it's kind of a requirement if you want to get more than 10 hours a week. I left because I wasn't able to get on the schedule more than 25 hours a week after two years and every time I picked up extra work (because again, we were always understaffed) both the supervisors and myself would get scolded because management was worried about having to pay overtime.

Let me just stress this again, because I'm not alone on this. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the coworkers I befriended while I was there. If you're looking for
  more... a summer job or you're retired and just need some extra cash, it's a good place. Don't expect much else or you will be fighting an uphill battle the whole way.  less
Do not work at the pittsfield location
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJune 24, 2019
Bj'ss a whole is a good company but the Pittsfield location is full of back stabbing managers, STAY FAR AWAY. The managers will say one thing to your face and throw you under the bus the next. STAY AWAY
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible managers
Productive workplace with very positive energy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southington, CT 06489June 23, 2019
- On a typical day at work,I would get there an hour or two early, punch in, get my cash and till, ask MSS what cash register to be on and start my work day. After two hours and 15 minutes of working, I would take my 15 minute lunch break and get right back to work until my shift ended. When my shift ended I would clean up my register as best as possible, put my cash and till away and clock out.

- Working at BJ's I learned that building relationships is very important. Socializing and communicating correctly can effect an employee's performance as well as their member's experience.

- Management at BJ's is fantastic! They are very positive, supportive, and very friendly, yet they help elevate their employees in spots where they are weak.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was working on reshop. I love it!

-The hardest part of the job was getting over my social anxiety but overtime, I got better.
Good place to work at.
Manager/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 23, 2019
Personally I haven't had any problems working with or for BJ's Wholesale Club. I've been there almost six years and I have have a pretty good relationship.
Pros
Provides PBJ if you do not have lunch.
Produce
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 21, 2019
Typical day:
It involves getting there several hours before the store opens. Check and cull product that either does not look good or is out of date. Once that is complete I work out whatever product is in the backroom. 15 minutes before the store opens we have a meeting on what is expected of us throughout that day. Once the store opens you are expected to spend the majority of your time on the sales floor to help members with any questions. Continue working between the back room area and filling things on the sales floor. At some point I will take a lunch and then continue working till I am done for the day. Generally about 8 hr shifts with 2 payed 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch off the clock. If you're a male associate you will be called on to help members with heavy items such as gun safes, kitty litter, refrigerators, etc.

The good:
Pay starts higher than minimum wage. Plenty of open positions currently (Read the bad for why). They have benefits if you work full time.

The bad:
There is a lot of turnover in the store I am currently at. You are expected to do the job of two people and after you have been taken away from your department and when you return the General Manager will then complain about why your department looks terrible. This lack of care for associates has created extremely poor morale. More then 3 dozen people have left in the last several months and I know that along with myself, at least another 15 are applying at other places.

Conclusion:
It's retail work and it pays more than minimum wage. Do not expect any more from it than just
  more... a paycheck no matter what they tell you. I would suggest to anyone to check with Costco before applying here.  less
Competative
Over-night stocker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJune 21, 2019
Great place to be a part of. Working the third shift was alright after my body got us to it. I did End capping and product rotation. Along with stocking on evey shift. Also ran the cardboard compactor.
Fast Paced
Front Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 21, 2019
Working for BJ was a challenge you have to stay focused in helping customers making sure prices are correct and loading carts. Also BJ does not only sell food they sell other things also
A typical day a work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 20, 2019
This was not the job I was planning to be at forever. It was a job until I could find a full time job, and was not the greatest employment, but nice people.
Good part-time job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAJune 20, 2019
If you want to work part-time with no plan to advance this is a decent place to work. Pay is su-standard to most retail jobs. Schedule can be very different from week to week.
Pros
Membership card
Cons
Sub-standard pay, management is not great
Just a job
Overnight (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 19, 2019
Dont expect much here, management plays favoritism, they treat you like a number everything is half done and ghetto you should only consider if you are desperate and have no other choice. You have been warned this place is trash reconsider.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything, managment doesnt know how to manage
Best job I've ever had!!
Human Resources Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYJune 18, 2019
I started at BJ's Wholesale Club as a cashier, and was quickly promoted to Cash Office Clerk, and HR Clerical after I transferred to another store. The company prefers to promote from within the company, and you can move up very quickly. Management was always very accommodating and friendly.
Pros
free lunches, consistent raises based on performance reviews, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, benefits
Cons
short breaks
No respect
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYJune 16, 2019
No respect for seniority in the Yorktown ny club they won’t approve any requested days off so you’ll have to call out sick but they won’t answer the phone then want to charge you with no call no show write up
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor management not enough coverage per departments
Productive, fast pace, family atmosphere.
Overnight manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2019
Tough and fast pace environment that will make or break you but it's a wonderful company to work for and they will always have opportunities to grow. Just put the work in. Great 401k plan, great medical benefits.
This job is fun if you make it fun and hours to work for everybody
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 13, 2019
This job can be stressful at time and good at times there and hours for everybody also. There are all type of job types in there you can be whatever you want to be for the period of time you there
Lack of communication
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 13, 2019
The managers act as if they do not care about the employees. There was times when members will try to fight me because of the dumb policies, the member gets a free year membership for the difficulty. It does not make any type of sense. There was one time when I was called a very racist/hurtful term that I had to take a break from being on register, once I told the managers I had gotten written up for leaving my post disregarding what I have been called.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Stop giving employees expired food in the break room, Stable communication between mangers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJ's Wholesale Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.7Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss