BJ's Wholesale Club Employee Review

View all BJ's Wholesale Club reviews

run away from bjs
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, NJJune 7, 2019
management in riverdale nj is just horrible , I cant comprehend how the managers at every level are employed by bjs , ive never dealt with more incompetence and drama in my life from a manager before , just to get these managers off there cell phones to answer questions , or get help is unreal . imean believe me I new on my first day that I had made a big mistake . its amazing to me how dishonest managers at bjs in riverdale are , I mean complete liars and the managers look out for one another like some kind of club just pure immature management , the place should shut down and rehire everyone with management that wants to work instead of coming in to hang out with there buddies

Other BJ's Wholesale Club Employee Reviews

Emotionally draining, can be VERY stressful (lengthy but worth the read)
Frontline Team Member (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJuly 20, 2019
I will begin with the positives that I took away from this job. I made a lot of new friends, made a lot of cool memories, I learned a lot about myself, and I acquired new skills and abilities. Another positive is that the scheduling can be flexible if you put in for it in a timely manner. The policy is that they need 3 weeks notice for requesting a day off, and 3 months for a scheduling change. Last-minute changes to your schedule are usually not an option, but if you can find a co-worker willing to help you out, then you'll be okay, but it is a difficult task. Lastly, there are times when there is free food in the break room for employees to have. But, you must be careful, always check the dates, and if it's fruit or perishable, 9 out of 10 times, leave it there. The break/lunch system is cool too. If you work more than 6 hours you get two 15 minute paid breaks and one 30 minute unpaid lunch. If you work 4-5.75 hours you get one 15 minute break.

If you choose to take the job of either cashier or a member services representative, your day will typically begin with you being berated on what the metric goals must be for that day (number of rewards memberships, credit cards, and membership renewals). If you're a cashier, you'll be given a tracking sheet to keep track of every single prompt you get for any of these things and be expected to ask every single member that comes through your line to sign up for the rewards membership and/or cobrand (credit card) even if your line you must is extremely long, you must try to sell it. If you cannot complete this task or if management
  more... feels like you're not trying, you will be moved to a different department or let go. I know this because I've witnessed it happen on multiple occasions.

If you are going for member services, you will be berated even more than the cashiers. You will be expected to meet the metric goals that are set in place by those who have probably never worked in a BJ's. It can be incredibly stressful trying to meet the goals, especially when you have little to no traffic at the desk. Then if you don't meet the goals, corporate sends nasty emails to management, and then they take it out on you. How can you expect people to reach an unattainable goal of 20+ cobrands a week, when no one is coming into the store? I will say that there are incentives involved with working behind the desk. For every new membership, you sign up it is an extra $2 in your paycheck, for every reward membership $5, and for cobrands $3. That would be the only benefit to the desk. While working behind the desk you have to process returns, sell NY Lottery, bottle returns, battery deposit returns, and retrieve items from the cage when needed. You also keep track of BOPIC orders and announce over a walkie-talkie the status of the app every single hour. You also answer phone calls, take complaints, look up items on the computer and do everything possible to help people. In this job, you absolutely have to learn how to take heat and process stressful situations and do the best you can, even with the most obnoxiously ridiculous members.

You might expect that management would help with a highly stressful job as behind the desk. But, that expectation would be incorrect. There have been multiple occasions where I, and my coworkers are drowning, we beg for help, many times just a simple phone call, and we get the usual "yup, just give me a minute". Minutes go by and still nothing. Then after my shift, I go to the offices to drop off paperwork, and 4 of my managers are in a room laughing and goofing around, while we're severely struggling to get people cashed out and out of the store. Those are the kinds of things that make your blood boil. There will be some times where the managers come to help, but when you need them the most, they seem to be unavailable. You will probably have 1, maybe 2, that will drop whatever they're doing to help you, but that is all. Many of them hide in their office.

I learned a lot from this place. I hate to say this, but this is where I really learned how to listen to people and be kind. A day would not go by where I did not get yelled at by a member for something I have 0 control over. The best I could do was listen, and do what I could on my own because I mostly was on my own. Some of the managers have an unspoken rule about us fixing the problem by ourselves and calling them as a last resort. But I never agreed with this. For a place that preaches about teamwork and working together, it never really felt that way. It just felt like no one could be bothered, so it was just up to you to get the job done. There were many days that I was miserable, I went home crying, and the stress made me physically sick. I am so emotionally and mentally drained from this job, and I wish the best of luck those who work here.
Pros
Made new friends, Incentives
Cons
Management, Ridiculous metric goals, Unclean establishment
I would definitely recommend this job, chill environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJuly 20, 2019
A typical day at work consist of checking out customers and keeping track of your belongings. Management is very understanding. The hardest part would be when the lines are wrapped around, it gets a little stressful at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJ's Wholesale Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at BJ's Wholesale Club.

Powered by Comparably