BJ's Wholesale Club Employee Reviews

Found 3,253 reviews matching the search See all 3,256 reviews
Featured review
BJ's Wholesale Club selected this as a representative review
Excellent Company
Field Membership Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 4, 2019
Wonderful company with opportunities and flexibility.
I enjoyed uncapped commissions, autonomy and support. Very friendly people. Management was very supportive about coaching and always available to answer questions.
Pros
Uncapped commissions, Pto, Flexibility
Cons
Unrealistic sales quotas, high pressure, job security
Do not work at the pittsfield location
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAJune 24, 2019
Bj'ss a whole is a good company but the Pittsfield location is full of back stabbing managers, STAY FAR AWAY. The managers will say one thing to your face and throw you under the bus the next. STAY AWAY
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible managers
Productive workplace with very positive energy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southington, CT 06489June 23, 2019
- On a typical day at work,I would get there an hour or two early, punch in, get my cash and till, ask MSS what cash register to be on and start my work day. After two hours and 15 minutes of working, I would take my 15 minute lunch break and get right back to work until my shift ended. When my shift ended I would clean up my register as best as possible, put my cash and till away and clock out.

- Working at BJ's I learned that building relationships is very important. Socializing and communicating correctly can effect an employee's performance as well as their member's experience.

- Management at BJ's is fantastic! They are very positive, supportive, and very friendly, yet they help elevate their employees in spots where they are weak.

-The most enjoyable part of the job was working on reshop. I love it!

-The hardest part of the job was getting over my social anxiety but overtime, I got better.
Good place to work at.
Manager/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 23, 2019
Personally I haven't had any problems working with or for BJ's Wholesale Club. I've been there almost six years and I have have a pretty good relationship.
Pros
Provides PBJ if you do not have lunch.
Produce
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 21, 2019
Typical day:
It involves getting there several hours before the store opens. Check and cull product that either does not look good or is out of date. Once that is complete I work out whatever product is in the backroom. 15 minutes before the store opens we have a meeting on what is expected of us throughout that day. Once the store opens you are expected to spend the majority of your time on the sales floor to help members with any questions. Continue working between the back room area and filling things on the sales floor. At some point I will take a lunch and then continue working till I am done for the day. Generally about 8 hr shifts with 2 payed 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch off the clock. If you're a male associate you will be called on to help members with heavy items such as gun safes, kitty litter, refrigerators, etc.

The good:
Pay starts higher than minimum wage. Plenty of open positions currently (Read the bad for why). They have benefits if you work full time.

The bad:
There is a lot of turnover in the store I am currently at. You are expected to do the job of two people and after you have been taken away from your department and when you return the General Manager will then complain about why your department looks terrible. This lack of care for associates has created extremely poor morale. More then 3 dozen people have left in the last several months and I know that along with myself, at least another 15 are applying at other places.

Conclusion:
It's retail work and it pays more than minimum wage. Do not expect any more from it than just
  more... a paycheck no matter what they tell you. I would suggest to anyone to check with Costco before applying here.  less
Competative
Over-night stocker (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJune 21, 2019
Great place to be a part of. Working the third shift was alright after my body got us to it. I did End capping and product rotation. Along with stocking on evey shift. Also ran the cardboard compactor.
Fast Paced
Front Line Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 21, 2019
Working for BJ was a challenge you have to stay focused in helping customers making sure prices are correct and loading carts. Also BJ does not only sell food they sell other things also
A typical day a work
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 20, 2019
This was not the job I was planning to be at forever. It was a job until I could find a full time job, and was not the greatest employment, but nice people.
Good part-time job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAJune 20, 2019
If you want to work part-time with no plan to advance this is a decent place to work. Pay is su-standard to most retail jobs. Schedule can be very different from week to week.
Pros
Membership card
Cons
Sub-standard pay, management is not great
Just a job
Overnight (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 19, 2019
Dont expect much here, management plays favoritism, they treat you like a number everything is half done and ghetto you should only consider if you are desperate and have no other choice. You have been warned this place is trash reconsider.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything, managment doesnt know how to manage
Best job I've ever had!!
Human Resources Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blasdell, NYJune 18, 2019
I started at BJ's Wholesale Club as a cashier, and was quickly promoted to Cash Office Clerk, and HR Clerical after I transferred to another store. The company prefers to promote from within the company, and you can move up very quickly. Management was always very accommodating and friendly.
Pros
free lunches, consistent raises based on performance reviews, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, benefits
Cons
short breaks
No respect
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  Yorktown Heights, NYJune 16, 2019
No respect for seniority in the Yorktown ny club they won’t approve any requested days off so you’ll have to call out sick but they won’t answer the phone then want to charge you with no call no show write up
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Poor management not enough coverage per departments
Productive, fast pace, family atmosphere.
Overnight manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 14, 2019
Tough and fast pace environment that will make or break you but it's a wonderful company to work for and they will always have opportunities to grow. Just put the work in. Great 401k plan, great medical benefits.
This job is fun if you make it fun and hours to work for everybody
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJune 13, 2019
This job can be stressful at time and good at times there and hours for everybody also. There are all type of job types in there you can be whatever you want to be for the period of time you there
Lack of communication
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 13, 2019
The managers act as if they do not care about the employees. There was times when members will try to fight me because of the dumb policies, the member gets a free year membership for the difficulty. It does not make any type of sense. There was one time when I was called a very racist/hurtful term that I had to take a break from being on register, once I told the managers I had gotten written up for leaving my post disregarding what I have been called.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Stop giving employees expired food in the break room, Stable communication between mangers
Very bad wouldn't reccomend
Deli Clerk/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chicopee, MAJune 12, 2019
Management treats employees like lower humans. No eye contact. They don't even say good morning. Pt co workers are great but call out ALOT. Hard work for low wage
Not a good place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Farmingdale, NYJune 11, 2019
Understaffed and has many management issues. Poor schedules especially for rush hour. Every department has poor schedules and rarely has enough people working. Lines at the registers are almost always horrific. I would not recommend working at this location.
It was a quiet and nice place to work and get along with Co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 10, 2019
Being a cashier at Bj's was very nice. I got time tk geg out of the house and interact with others and see how the real world is. I also enjoyed dealing with money and exchanging with customers.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Short breaks
Try to find a job somewhere else
Deli Clerk / Tire Sales and Installation (Former Employee) –  Taunton, MAJune 10, 2019
They care less about their workers Managers will not speak up for their workers for fear of losing their own jobs They also take the word of a trainee over The guy that’s training him .
Pros
Cons
Many
Not a fun place to work
Cashier, Recovery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLJune 9, 2019
cashier, customer service, Learned nothing substantial. management varies from day to day and depends on what they need at the time. The customers are who make it what it is.
Pros
Most days there are free food in the lunch room
Cons
they insist on you taking your breaks.
Last resort
Member Services Associate (Former Employee) –  VAJune 8, 2019
Take it if you need it other than that apply elsewhere. Favoritism is always an issue. Poor management. No communcation. Same or new people get recognized but not so much the ones that have been around for a long time. Doing more than your job description and not getting paid for it.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJ's Wholesale Club. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight