BJC HealthCare Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Featured review
BJC HealthCare selected this as a representative review
Love bjc!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 27, 2018
Great place to work! The vast size, complexity and variety of our hospitals and service organizations provide for great career progression whilst remaining with BJC. Continual learning is highly encouraged.
Drama all around
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOAugust 15, 2018
While I very much enjoyed the job itself, the environment was toxic. Regardless of the fact that I sat alone in a back office, there was still a never ending amount of gossip around me, not only from the coworkers, but from the manager who would gossip about previous employees as well as current employees. I left to stay home with my kids, but the awful manager definitely pushed it along.
Pros
the job itself was nice, free lunches occasionally, got to wear scrubs
Cons
TONS of gossip, drama stirring manager
Easy to balance work and home life
Reimbursement Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 9, 2018
A typical day a work includes reviewing emails, returning calls and sending reports to various department mangers. I have learned how to navigate two different healthcare systems within the BJC network.
Pros
Flexiable schedule, room to
Cons
Salary
Treasury Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2018
Mission driven organization values its employees Management lives Mission and expectations are same for all employees. The culture values the whole person
Pros
wonderful
Cons
non
Stressful and Unorganized
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 6, 2018
So much potential for this organization; unhappy co-workers, customers, and key-stakeholders makes for an extremely stagnant and oppressive envoirnment.
Working at BJC Health Systems
Cardiac Sonographer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 3, 2018
I work for BJC health systems for 28 years and felt that I had a wonderful work experience there. My my career experience at Christian Hospital Northeast Northwest , and Barnes-Jewish Hospital, was wonderful experience. My employment there was one of the best times of my life and I really miss the people and the institution. I was very well respected and like there. I miss my daily interactions with the people that I work there Christian Hospital East and North West . I had an exceptional working relationship with the doctors, general staff nurses,and Administration. I miss those interactions and the people had great input in my training and my career. My employment there gave me the opportunity to become highly respected professional. My retirement from BJC Health Systems is a great part of my retirement income. Whenever I return to Christian Hospital everyone makes me feel so special . The remaining staff acts like they really miss me and I really miss them as well. BJC Health Systems gave me something that my life will always cherish, and that was a good employment experience.
Pros
. BJC Health Systems is a great opportunity for professional Healthcare experience.
Cons
I feel BJC Health Systems could improve their retirement program.
Low pay, no advancement, no security
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 1, 2018
For years, we were told that our below industry standard raises were offset by the security we had. For years we were told that nobody had ever been let go without cause in the IS department.

All that changed three weeks ago when roughly 10% of the IS department was cut without warning, and escorted out the door. There was no discernible reason as to who was shown out the door - it was seemingly random.

Almost no manager above the PM level has a clue what the average employee does day to day. They think we are a giant assembly line, each of us being interchangeable cogs in a machine. They have no respect for the deep knowledge someone gains by being in a position for three years or more, and that anyone can be just dropped in to a new role and be as effective as anyone else.

They have no problem asking you to work 60 hour weeks for large go-lives, but get cranky if you only record 39 hours on your time sheet due to taking a kid to the doctor.'

Once you reach a certain level, there is no more advancement, unless you go into management. They do not encourage learning or pay for external training (my team tried for years to get training on the product we support, but were always denied).

I would not recommend them for an IS professional.
Pros
some IS people are allowed to work from home
Cons
upper management is clueless in the IS department
Positive work environment
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 30, 2018
In my experience, BJC corporate offered a positive work environment. There were several layers of the approval process, but leadership engage and produced decisions in a timely manner for success.
Your satisfaction WILL depend on who you report to...
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 25, 2018
I spent 10 years with BJC and loved it for the most part because I was on a team of amazing people - including my direct management (Group Manager and Director).

That all came to an end on 7/11/18 when I received a call from the new IT VP informing me that my services were no longer needed. This came over a phone call, which was unusual, and my Group Manager wasn't even aware that this large layoff (113 people, I believe) included two members from his team.

I could go on more about my situation, but here's the bottom line. I would go back to BJC IT, but only after both the new CIO and VP have made their cuts, collected their bonus' and have moved on.

Unfortunately, it's clear to myself, and those that remain, that these guys were brought in to clean house. They state that they want to support systems that care for patients, but their actions show the financials are significantly more important at this time.

I would encourage anyone to consider BJC, but do so with the understanding that there are some leadership-related issues at this time. Good luck.

PS: Human Resources is NOT your friend. Beware that they will try to make you feel as if they are there to help you, but that is not true. Watch yourself with them.
Pros
Everything - IF you are on the right team.
Cons
Current IT leadership shows no regard to patient care
Very open mind, encouraging work environment.
Patient Account Rep II (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJuly 25, 2018
I enjoyed the work place. BJC offered extended education and training to increase your skills to perform you job more productively..
Open to your suggestions.
Pros
Education, benefits, salary.
Cons
Didn't have any.
Commitment to mission
IS Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 17, 2018
BJC is committed to its mission to provide quality healthcare to everybody in the community. It's exciting to be part of an organization that cares so much about the community that it serves.
Pros
Strong sense of community service
Cons
High personal commitment impact work/life balance
Lab Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 16, 2018
I enjoy working for this company but I feel that its time for me to move on to something else. I feel a need for advancement that I'm just not getting.
Fun place to work
Senior Customer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 13, 2018
If the pay was set at the cost of living in the region, I would still be there.
Business casual dress
Great employees
Management to be desired. They always say their hands are tied and can't fix what's wrong with the situation.
Pros
Great Company to work for
Cons
As of 2 years ago, they started laying off employees. Never in the history of the company did they do that.
Good work/life benefits
Sr. Information Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 12, 2018
BJC was a great place to work and even though it had its downsides like any other company. The ability to work from home was always a plus and greatly appreciated over the years.
Pros
Work/Life benefits
Cons
management
Bjc
Patient access (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MOJuly 6, 2018
I have nothing really to say just needed a new job and a new place to work NOthing was wrong with the place just needed a different view that's all ...
BJC has some great hospitals that offer exceptional care.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 6, 2018
I was a registered nurse in both the CCU and ER here at BJC. They give amazing care to the patients and offer innovative treatments. The people that work here truly care about the patients.
Pros
People
Cons
Low pay
over worked and under paid
Medical Biller and Coder (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 5, 2018
did healthcare billing for GHP, United healthcare, and Cigna, billed medicare and Medicaid. Phoned each insurance company and made sure all bills were billed in a timely manner.
Pros
had many discounts
Cons
short breaks, no raises
this sucks!
Deployment Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 3, 2018
• Provide Hardware and Software support services to remote users nationwide.
• Consistently singled out for accurate and timely documentation and customer satisfaction ratings.
• Perform end user support for Dell and Lenovo laptops, desktops, and peripherals in a networked environment, including hardware and software installation, upgrades, troubleshooting and repair.
Used to be a great place to work/has gone downhill in past 5-8 years
Senior System Analyst BJC Medical Group (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 3, 2018
BJC Medical Group is the ambulatory clinics part of the larger BJC Healthcare system. It was great until about 5-8 years ago when it started going down hill fast. Just too big to provide a good environment for employees or to provide good patient care. Too many rules and falling through the cracks.
Great Company
Indexing Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 27, 2018
Great company, great benefits and plenty of opportunities for advancements...as long as you have a manager who supports your advancement. Other than that you could end up stuck in a position when there is plenty of opportunities offered by the company.
very good place to work
RMA /PCT/ unit secretary/ patient sitter (Former Employee) –  MissouriJune 11, 2018
I loved when I worked for BJC Healthcare. I worked at two different entities and that was st louis childrens hospital and BJC medical group. I learned so much and I wouldn't mind working for them again some day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJC HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss