BJC HealthCare

Found 709 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,344 reviews

BJC HealthCare insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

BJC overall is a great employer. Work and family balance is achieved fairly easily. Paid pension is definitely an asset.

BJC is a huge healthcare system. Many opportunities to expand a career in such a large company. The senior management seems to acknowledge, for the most part, the demands of nurses and healthcare changing in the midst of a pandemic. With nursing shortages overtime and bonuses are given.

Pros

Paid pension Comparable salary

Cons

Short staffed Unrealistic goals

Great work, bad management

The work is rewarding and the team is outstanding. Management leaves A LOT to be desired. Upper management (think hospital presidents, vps) seem genuinely engaged in retention but this doesn't trickle down to mid-level management.

Pros

Very rewarding work

Cons

No consideration for work life balance, especially given the toll taken on healthcare workers during the pandemic

Management is terrible.

No communication. Teamwork could use some help. If they had better managers it would not be a bad place to work. You get paid time off that is earned by the employee but the management makes you feel terrible if you ask off any days. Working several years there my experience was terrible and that was because of management. Nothing to say nice about this company.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Poor management

overworked staff

corporation does not care about you and will overwork you until you cant work anymore, benefits are ok but they wont hesitate to cut them down (hold 401k match temporarily, for exmaple)

it WAS great...

Despite working conditions becoming harder, no compensation and no increases in pay to help retain employees. High turnover and lots of dissatisfaction with management.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Work somewhere else.

Work somewhere else. Shady company with even worse policies and procedures. You can find a more stable work environment, better pay and benefits at other companies.

Not a good fit if you’re sensitive.

The support staff tend to be mistreated by management, nursing staff, and clinicians. Human Resources does not investigate situations appropriately or with urgency. If the overall goal is to advance in the medical field and the person has a thick skin, this hospital may be a good fit.

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities

Cons

Insurance costs and coverages, lack of recognition, support from management

summary

The hours are flexible, and i get to sit down and have dinner every night with my family. Management has been very helpful and kind. The hardest part of the job is we have to many patients at once.

November 24, 2021
Thank you for your review, and for the work that you do as a Staff RN!

It all depends on the job your put on

At times it's hard to get noticed of how hard u work and have find everything from carts to working equipment to do the job right and issue of rude management

Pros

Good lunch time and hours

Cons

Slow starts some rude management

November 15, 2021
Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate the work that you do as a Housekeeper at BJC HealthCare.

Horrible company who doesn’t care about you at all.

BJC doesn’t care about their employees at all. You are completely replaceable and they have no problem treating you like that and letting you know that you are replaceable. They are always understaffed and you are always overworked and under appreciated. Do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to work.

November 24, 2021
We have reviewed your feedback, and appreciate you taking the time to submit a review.

Not much appreciation

I worked as a Unit Secretary and anyone who works in this position is EXTREMELY UNDER-APPRECIATED and underpaid! The more you do, the more they ask of you. This is the only place I’ve worked where secretaries are treated so poorly. Management is uninterested in employees mental health and work environment. ALWAYS understaffed. Employees talk poorly of other employees regularly…Toxic environment!

Pros

Benefits are reasonable.

Cons

Under-appreciated and underpaid.

November 24, 2021
We have reviewed your review, and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

This is a very good place to work

This is a very good place to work you learn hands-on experience and the management wants you to succeed and the training you receive is tremendous and helps you in doing armed security

Pros

Customers

Cons

Different

Typical large hospital system

Worked here for five years. Wages are stagnant and only get 2.5% cost of living increase each year. Productivity is manageable. Management has been great. Little room for advancement in the company from a therapy standpoint.

November 1, 2021
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback, and the work that you do as a COTA.

Workplace culture has improved since I first began working there.

Management has made some efforts to improve the workplace culture.Pre-COVID, there were planned gatherings, annual picnics. Also training is pretty good for new hires and for new duties.

Pros

Work from home for billing & coding positions

Cons

Holiday time off comes out of your personal time off so plan ahead, Also no plants allowed in offices although experts advise workplaces should improve atmosphere

November 8, 2021
Thanks for your review! We appreciate the work that you did as a Medical Billing Specialist with BJC.

The Good and the Mostly Bad

There's a lot of learning opportunities which is good. However, the organization is very unorganized when it comes to being hired or new things implemented. It's super short staffed (borderline unsafe) with no compensation for employees that are showing up (unless you want to work more hours). Management doesn't hold employees responsible that constantly call in. They definitely have their favorites.

Pros

Learning opportunities

Cons

Short staffed, favoritism, gossipy coworkers

October 27, 2021
Thank you for your review and providing feedback. We appreciate the work that you do as a Registered Nurse with BJC HealthCare.

Great short term

Great opportunity to work from home after training ! Big company name and great benefits. 45 min lunch. Overall good to work for temporary not long term

Pros

Work from home, benefits

Cons

High volume calls, new rules and regulations every week to follow. Micro management

October 27, 2021
Thanks for your review; we appreciate the feedback that you have provided.

Good workplace

Good people, differing shifts/days, clear policies, good management support. Benefits, compensation & retirement are all excellent. Would still be there had we not relocated.

October 15, 2021
Thank you for reviewing BJC HealthCare! We appreciate your feedback, and the work that you did as a Patient Access Rep II!

Nepotism and partiality observed

While managers at larger facilities may be sufficient and fair, mine at a smaller facility does the least bit possible to do the job, often ignoring major problems. If you are a pharmacist, you are allowed to skip important procedural steps; yet a technician would be fired on the spot for doing so. My manager leads by subjugation and also isn't well liked by the nurses either, as their needs are often dismissed in favor of dictatorship. It was hard to succeed there if you weren't a 'favorite.'

Pros

Helping humanity

Cons

Management is hit or miss

October 21, 2021
Thank you for providing your feedback. We appreciate the work that you did as a Pharmacy Technician with BJC HealthCare.

Favorite place to work

I had the most amazing management team all the way up to the Vice President and President. The culture is very positive and just overall a great place to work. I loved the family culture and every time you walk down the hall you see a smile or someone willing to help when needed.

Pros

Management, Family atmosphere

Cons

Pay a bit lower than competitors

October 20, 2021
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your feedback and agree that BJC provides a culture that is positive, inspiring and engaging!

Bjc actively works to retain talent

I worked there for 8 years. Felt valued as employee. Was employee of year 2014. Lots of educational options. Encourage growth of management from within company

Pros

Encourage personal growth

Coworkers are wonderful

On my floor the management is improving. However, we get a lot of off service patients even when we are short staffed and the nursing office doesn’t care. I’ve had 6 patients at one time before. I feel like the pay for the work we do is a little bit of a slap across the face. I love my coworkers and would not want to be on any other floor.

October 21, 2021
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your candid feedback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJC HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at BJC HealthCare.
Powered byComparably