Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

Laid back work environment
Engineering Technician, Telecom Division (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 6, 2018
The work environment is very self driven. You go in knowing when projects need to be completed and you just continual work on it daily until completed.
Place has potential
ADAMS GABBERT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 29, 2018
Great potential, but I got shafted on my salary. I am giving my all and not getting my worth in compensation..Not even close. It's hard to be recognized at times, and expectations are rarely if ever met.
Pros
Work life balance decent
Cons
everything else is basically a con :(
Excellent Career Opportunity
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CANovember 26, 2018
Black and Veatch is a highly structured and respected organization that sees its employees as a highly valued and respected team. BV is also financially strong and trusted throughout several industries due to its multi-disciplined and multi talented staff. Black and Veatch was my most growth oriented and career friendly employer and I really enjoyed my time in service to BV. As long as the company standards, practices and procedures were respected, BV was an incredibly successful and promising place to work.
Pros
Great Environment, Great Benefits, Great Management and High Standards
Cons
Sometimes Restrained by Powerful Commitment to Company Practices and Procedures.
Summary
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 15, 2018
A typical day was filled with meetings, discussions, and work guidance. There was also times where clients were in the office. We also had quarterly meetings.
Really great quality department
Site Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Smithton, PANovember 11, 2018
BVCI is an Engineering company so you work closely with their department and it is one of the best things I have seen on a job site from a quality stand point. Any questions can be answered on site. The only thing that is somewhat negative is the PM's. Some are great and approach things with a quality state of mind. Others, tend to want to quality out of the loop and argue with quality over production issues.
Interesting place to work
Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2018
A typical day for me is that I performed field work at multiple locations a week. Management was helpful, knew what they where talking about. The hardest part of my job was the traveling from different locations for long periods of time.
Routine. Great for people who don't get bored.
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 7, 2018
There is variation among divisions and groups. This review may not be universal.
DON'T PUSH FOR CHANGE!!
B&V has been doing what they do for a long time. Expect them to continue doing what they do for a lot longer.
Little innovation; projects are generally done like they were done last time. New technologies get explored only when billable.

Pressure rarely gets high, but will if necessary to meet deadlines.

My recommendation to work there would depend very much upon the person being considered.
Pros
If you have important personal matters, they will work hard to avoid forced travel.
Cons
Rare to work on technological advances.
Work Life Balance
Sr Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
This company is a great company to work for, it is unfortunate that they decided to close the houston office. They are based out of Kansas City, KS. They have a great Oil and Gas Team.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Layoffs
Great company to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2018
Enjoyed working in this field for the seven years that I was there. It was totally different from my previous job and college experience. I gained valuable insight into an environmental, architectural field. I was fortunate to learn new things and take on new projects.
A great place to work
ACCOUNT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bucks, ALOctober 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Black and Veatch. They are a great company. They are very professionals and stick by the rules. They treat everyone with respect. You either going to love them or hate them. I love them because I appreciate the fairness.

Want to know more about Black & Veatch?

Ask a question
Run away while you can.
Management (Current Employee) –  DenverOctober 11, 2018
You are out of your mind if you choose to work on a Colorado Project!

The project associates are terrible and cower to heresay due to being terminated.
Pros
Cons
CUT THROAT does not begin to describe the projects.
Contract win dependent
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 4, 2018
Plenty of autonomy and highly stressful. They company has an old school advancement tradition. It is based on social interaction rather than individual performance.
Good overall place to work
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2018
Definitely a male-dominated industry! When I worked there, administrative personnel were required to either work in the mailroom or in word processing for a period of at least 6 months. Few opportunities for collaboration. However, an ambitious employee can work their way up the ladder if they have enough patience.
Pros
Well respected in the industry; opportunities for advancement
Cons
Male-dominated, somewhat chauvinistic atmosphere.
Can be flexible, but advancement can be limited
Electrical Engineer 3 (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Black and Veatch can be a good, flexible place to work with good job security, but not enough recognition/compensation is given to engineers under level 4. Management is dedicated to keeping its employees busy, but sometimes they lose sight of their employees necessary work life balance.. Everyone seems so busy, that they don't always have time to invest into lower level professionals.
Great company to work for
Project Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 11, 2018
Great company to work for always training their employees and open door policy lots of opportunities within the company for advancement as well as engagement of internal events
Pros
employee owned with flexable hours
Cons
long days
You are kept busy
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 10, 2018
Black and Veatch is a great place to work. It gives you an opportunity to grow and learn as an engineer. You get the chance to do a lot of different projects that prepare you for your future.
High Job security
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2018
I think the opportunities are much more the HQ then in regional office. THe work culture is pretty laid back which is great and lets you progress at your own pace but then compensation isnt competitive and no bonuses for engineers below level 4.
team efforts mentality
Regional General Manager-ENE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056August 23, 2018
directed the oil and gas business development with a target of $400MM. wining projects, proposals, coordination's and communication. keep client happy
Pros
all work with excellent team
Cons
too much meetings
Typical Engineering Consultant
TRANSMISSION LINE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 19, 2018
Good company, bad office. Office in walnut creek is growing still, needs time to develop before hiring entry level engineers. Lot of moving, tiny workspace and no visibility within company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
non existant bonuses
na
OSP Lead Design Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2018
this is great place to work, lots of great folks, a bit tied in the corp to corp world.. I do think this place is very open to its employees and will do great things in the future.
Pros
na
Cons
na