Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

Office - Advancement and Culture
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 8, 2019
I learned a lot working for Black & Veatch. As an office technician, the biggest challenge was moving up the ladder quickly, due to the unwritten tenure rule. Like many 10,000+ firms, half the people do the majority of the work - so working your tale off as a young professional never quite feels like it pays off fast enough. When you see others that don't share a common purpose, is becomes discouraging and tends to increase ones complacency.
My advice is to let management worry about others productivity, if nothing happens, and you're not truly recognized, jump ship before you get too complacent... There are many companies that will pay you more; construction firms have better benefits, and provide better employee owner bonus' for similar a position. Although having off every other Friday and the relaxed supervision culture made it hard to leave B&V...
Excellent Career Opportunity
Construction Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CANovember 26, 2018
Black and Veatch is a highly structured and respected organization that sees its employees as a highly valued and respected team. BV is also financially strong and trusted throughout several industries due to its multi-disciplined and multi talented staff. Black and Veatch was my most growth oriented and career friendly employer and I really enjoyed my time in service to BV. As long as the company standards, practices and procedures were respected, BV was an incredibly successful and promising place to work.
Pros
Great Environment, Great Benefits, Great Management and High Standards
Cons
Sometimes Restrained by Powerful Commitment to Company Practices and Procedures.
Can be flexible, but advancement can be limited
Electrical Engineer 3 (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Black and Veatch can be a good, flexible place to work with good job security, but not enough recognition/compensation is given to engineers under level 4. Management is dedicated to keeping its employees busy, but sometimes they lose sight of their employees necessary work life balance.. Everyone seems so busy, that they don't always have time to invest into lower level professionals.
Place has potential
ADAMS GABBERT CONTRACTOR (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 29, 2018
Great potential, but I got shafted on my salary. I am giving my all and not getting my worth in compensation..Not even close. It's hard to be recognized at times, and expectations are rarely if ever met.
Pros
Work life balance decent
Cons
everything else is basically a con :(
Entry Level only
Database Administrator (DBA) (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 2, 2018
BV is a good place to start for those fresh out of college. However, anyone with any ambition or intelligence leaves within 3 years. Those that stay slug their way to middle management positions and make life miserable for everyone around them. This is paper-pushing at its finest.
Pros
Decent pay/benefits
Cons
Obsessive culture, poor management
High Job security
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2018
I think the opportunities are much more the HQ then in regional office. THe work culture is pretty laid back which is great and lets you progress at your own pace but then compensation isnt competitive and no bonuses for engineers below level 4.
Regional Office/Not much room for growth within certain departments
Procurement Representative II (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 8, 2018
There are some amazing people that work there and the quality of work provided to clients was outstanding. However, certain departments don't have much room for growth in regional office. Often times if you were not in a certain clique, favoritism was given for promotions instead of work performance. I found what we did as as a team was exciting and I learned so much. Some wonderful mentors and people I respect. I hear management has made changes and hopefully for the better to help with overall morale. Definitely a very reputable company and catches eyes on your resume, if you're fortunate to work for them.
values detail
Design CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2019
When i was with black and veatch the firm was detail oriented and valued design and its personnel. The company gave room to grow as individuals and allowed room for promotion within,
Pros
international firm
Enjoyable work place
Regulatory Compliance Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 26, 2018
Working with my team members and getting the project done ahead of schedule was very rewarding. I was given more challenging projects going forward due to finishing ahead of schedule on the first project.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
This was a contract position which only lasted a year
Great Culture
Engineering Tech II (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 15, 2019
I loved meeting new professionals like myself striving to find their place and make a difference. Black & Veatch is a great place to start your career as an engineering tech/Engineer and move forward as a spring board.
Pros
Tons
Cons
not many cons
Great Compnay
Optical Transport Architect (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 13, 2019
Great Company for engineering projects, but no leadership in technology for network and security. Technology teams are on there own without commitment or leadership from executive level.
Great team to work with
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 25, 2018
This was my first real job at 22 years old and living in Los Angeles (raised in Atlanta). It was a dream to be working for this company and closely with the City of Santa Monica. We had wonderful meetings and everyone got along in the small space we shared.
To be taken advantage of feels nice right?
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2019
From day one, I was given the expectation that the conversion process would begin at 6 months.

I was brought in as a field engineer, then quickly moved to much more involved roles and responsibilities...But no increase of pay, and only "talk" of permanent. They refuse to increase my pay and continue to tell me, "Oh just wait. You'll get permanent, and it will be fixed." In August of 2018, they tell me now I have to wait a full year. Now I continue to do these very inclusive duties at the same low rate. I've been loyal through and through, and I've even refused better offers out there due to being led on about promises of permanent positions. This tops the cake. Check this out --

They then proceed to hire someone under my nose in a similar role DIRECTLY PERMANENT. It's all about the (Good ol' Boys club) I've been told my skills are fantastic, and I have an excellent work ethic. What are they waiting for? This "valuable investment" (Me) is not happy, and I haven't been happy with this for the past 6 months. I'm not waiting any longer.

TIP for anyone considering this corporation - Please be aware that they will either forget about you, lie to you, or swindle you. They are extremely sneaky. Please make sure you secure yourself GOOD initial salary as you will be stuck with it for a good long while. Don't even mention going permanent. That way they won't have any expectations come your way that will fail.

I know EXACTLY what i'm worth, and what they are doing is just plain wrong. That is all.
Pros
Low pay which drives me to find something better out there
Cons
Low pay and false expectations of a perm position
Productive, Educational, Competitive & Good Working Environment
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2018
I loved working at Black & Veatch, I had good co-workers, good working environment, opportunities for advancement, great benefits, and good pay. I enjoyed the work I did and the people I did it with. The company gave me a taste of what it was to work for an International company and what all that entails. Also I learned so much while there, it is always a determining factor for me to look at myself from when I start a job until the time of it's end or current date. If in doing so I do not see or notice any growth within myself as a person and a professional then I feel it is not a good fit for me. Black & Veatch didn't disappoint at all in that regard and I thank them for that experience even though it was brief but no one could predict a Recession.
Pros
Training, Atmosphere, Constant Growth, Benefits & Pay
Cons
Some overwelming experiences
Interesting place to work
Engineering Technician II (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 8, 2018
A typical day for me is that I performed field work at multiple locations a week. Management was helpful, knew what they where talking about. The hardest part of my job was the traveling from different locations for long periods of time.
Work Life Balance
Sr Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2018
This company is a great company to work for, it is unfortunate that they decided to close the houston office. They are based out of Kansas City, KS. They have a great Oil and Gas Team.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Layoffs
Routine. Great for people who don't get bored.
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 7, 2018
There is variation among divisions and groups. This review may not be universal.
DON'T PUSH FOR CHANGE!!
B&V has been doing what they do for a long time. Expect them to continue doing what they do for a lot longer.
Little innovation; projects are generally done like they were done last time. New technologies get explored only when billable.

Pressure rarely gets high, but will if necessary to meet deadlines.

My recommendation to work there would depend very much upon the person being considered.
Pros
If you have important personal matters, they will work hard to avoid forced travel.
Cons
Rare to work on technological advances.
Contract win dependent
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 4, 2018
Plenty of autonomy and highly stressful. They company has an old school advancement tradition. It is based on social interaction rather than individual performance.
Good overall place to work
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2018
Definitely a male-dominated industry! When I worked there, administrative personnel were required to either work in the mailroom or in word processing for a period of at least 6 months. Few opportunities for collaboration. However, an ambitious employee can work their way up the ladder if they have enough patience.
Pros
Well respected in the industry; opportunities for advancement
Cons
Male-dominated, somewhat chauvinistic atmosphere.
Great company to work for
Project Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 11, 2018
Great company to work for always training their employees and open door policy lots of opportunities within the company for advancement as well as engagement of internal events
Pros
employee owned with flexable hours
Cons
long days