Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

na
OSP Lead Design Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2018
this is great place to work, lots of great folks, a bit tied in the corp to corp world.. I do think this place is very open to its employees and will do great things in the future.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Regional Office/Not much room for growth within certain departments
Procurement Representative II (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 8, 2018
There are some amazing people that work there and the quality of work provided to clients was outstanding. However, certain departments don't have much room for growth in regional office. Often times if you were not in a certain clique, favoritism was given for promotions instead of work performance. I found what we did as as a team was exciting and I learned so much. Some wonderful mentors and people I respect. I hear management has made changes and hopefully for the better to help with overall morale. Definitely a very reputable company and catches eyes on your resume, if you're fortunate to work for them.
Positive Experience
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 27, 2018
Really great place to work with a great group of people. I was able to learn a lot and grow as a professional. I value the experiences I gained from the position there.
Great team to work with
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 25, 2018
This was my first real job at 22 years old and living in Los Angeles (raised in Atlanta). It was a dream to be working for this company and closely with the City of Santa Monica. We had wonderful meetings and everyone got along in the small space we shared.
Was great place to work
OSP 4 Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 19, 2018
Not much to say life was good then out if the blue dam I was left go there was no explanation there was never a company policy broken no violations and never a write up of any kind
Pros
The work
Cons
The management
Nice but cut throat
Warehouse Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCJuly 16, 2018
Be ready to always be to blame for things that are not your fault.
Can be fired in an instant.
All others will take credit for your work.
My way or the highway.
Lots of promises from mid-management
Site Superintendant (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 12, 2018
Top management spot on... mid-management has a lot to learn.
Mid-management does not seem to have practical experience and do not utilise skills of their team adequately.
Pros
Good back-up support
Cons
Poor mid-management
B&v
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 3, 2018
The most organized company I have ever worked for. From Document Control to Engineering Deliverables to Subcontracting and how they are handled/issued. I think wow we did this 20yrs ago at B&V. They just had poor management.
Entry Level only
Database Administrator (DBA) (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 2, 2018
BV is a good place to start for those fresh out of college. However, anyone with any ambition or intelligence leaves within 3 years. Those that stay slug their way to middle management positions and make life miserable for everyone around them. This is paper-pushing at its finest.
Pros
Decent pay/benefits
Cons
Obsessive culture, poor management
Good Starting Job
ETTCS Site Acquisition Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 2, 2018
Fast paced work environment. Hired people when needed and let go when done. Great structure for project managers to help get projects completed on time.
Productive, Educational, Competitive & Good Working Environment
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2018
I loved working at Black & Veatch, I had good co-workers, good working environment, opportunities for advancement, great benefits, and good pay. I enjoyed the work I did and the people I did it with. The company gave me a taste of what it was to work for an International company and what all that entails. Also I learned so much while there, it is always a determining factor for me to look at myself from when I start a job until the time of it's end or current date. If in doing so I do not see or notice any growth within myself as a person and a professional then I feel it is not a good fit for me. Black & Veatch didn't disappoint at all in that regard and I thank them for that experience even though it was brief but no one could predict a Recession.
Pros
Training, Atmosphere, Constant Growth, Benefits & Pay
Cons
Some overwelming experiences
Fun and exciting places - always education the older folks on technology
Technical Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 13, 2018
Had autonomy - Presented me with a platform to educate people, especially the older folks on technology. Pleasant experience. My boss loved me so much and always approved anything I asked for.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not much of team work and exposure to team up with someone you can learn from
Great work environment
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 11, 2018
A great place to work with a flexible work schedule. It is conveniently located and is a solid engineering company. It has good people who are fun to work with.
Pros
Great colleagues
Non stress work place
Glotel Contractor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco County, CAMay 22, 2018
Field engineer, validated route drawings for a ATT fiber solution to the home, designated locations for service junctions (point of presence locations).
Productive and fun place to work
Tier 3 Desktop and Network Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 8, 2018
great experience great management and environment... The most enjoyable thing about working there was the team effort from everyone... I learned a lot working in different capacities...
A professional relaxed environment with good work/life balance
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 18, 2018
Because of the risk mitigation nature of this project based company, the culture reflects a critical eye that at times strays into nit picking. Most employees are very pleasant and hard working. The corporate strategy will resonate with people looking to be part of a sustainable future.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Tenure is overvalued
good enviroment , atmosphere
Engineering Technician 6 (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORApril 18, 2018
good environment

good atmosphere

lost most of the good knowledgeable people, attrition is big thing

lots of great people and relationships to be had here
Unproductive Business Model
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 12, 2018
In my 6 years with BV, I experienced a very poor business culture in the Telecom business. Management was very unprofessional and seemed to be reactive instead of proactive. They always waited for the fires to start with the customer and never even tried to prevent them. Safety was the biggest part of the culture until it came to a time loss situation for a site to be built or the managers budget was compromised. Management would always try to cover up safety concerns as to not red flag a record-able injury to keep the record of the company at 0% injury instead of holding the parties accountable for their actions. All words and no action until there was a major incident found because of an injury.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
They don't practice what they preach!
Good people but awful management
Closeout Specialist/Business Support Services (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 9, 2018
You get to work with a wide variety of people from all over the United States. Having a flexible schedule made it easy to schedule appointments and have a life outside of work.

Management is simply awful. Too much micromanaging, people with no management experience getting promoted to positions for which they are extremely underqualified, poor management decisions lead to loss of work, lack of ownership for mistakes, only profit focused, and not focused on providing a good work environment are just a few reasons why management is awful.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor managment, lack of advancement opportunities
A great place to start your engineering career.
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 8, 2018
I joined this company because of the diversity of their projects, however being in an office outside of KC, you are limited to the few projects in your office for the most part, and transferring to another project/group is quite difficult. There is room for advancement, but opportunity is limited in offices external to KC, and increased workload and responsibility does not typically result in a pay increase.