Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

A professional relaxed environment with good work/life balance
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 18, 2018
Because of the risk mitigation nature of this project based company, the culture reflects a critical eye that at times strays into nit picking. Most employees are very pleasant and hard working. The corporate strategy will resonate with people looking to be part of a sustainable future.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Tenure is overvalued
good enviroment , atmosphere
Engineering Technician 6 (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORApril 18, 2018
good environment

good atmosphere

lost most of the good knowledgeable people, attrition is big thing

lots of great people and relationships to be had here
Unproductive Business Model
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 12, 2018
In my 6 years with BV, I experienced a very poor business culture in the Telecom business. Management was very unprofessional and seemed to be reactive instead of proactive. They always waited for the fires to start with the customer and never even tried to prevent them. Safety was the biggest part of the culture until it came to a time loss situation for a site to be built or the managers budget was compromised. Management would always try to cover up safety concerns as to not red flag a record-able injury to keep the record of the company at 0% injury instead of holding the parties accountable for their actions. All words and no action until there was a major incident found because of an injury.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
They don't practice what they preach!
Good people but awful management
Closeout Specialist/Business Support Services (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 9, 2018
You get to work with a wide variety of people from all over the United States. Having a flexible schedule made it easy to schedule appointments and have a life outside of work.

Management is simply awful. Too much micromanaging, people with no management experience getting promoted to positions for which they are extremely underqualified, poor management decisions lead to loss of work, lack of ownership for mistakes, only profit focused, and not focused on providing a good work environment are just a few reasons why management is awful.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor managment, lack of advancement opportunities
A great place to start your engineering career.
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 8, 2018
I joined this company because of the diversity of their projects, however being in an office outside of KC, you are limited to the few projects in your office for the most part, and transferring to another project/group is quite difficult. There is room for advancement, but opportunity is limited in offices external to KC, and increased workload and responsibility does not typically result in a pay increase.
Nice people
Project Controls Sr Associate Project/Controls (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 6, 2018
Great Company. Excellent Pay. Good home and work balance. Not alot of micromanaging. Skills definitely put to the test. Excellent benefits. Gym onsite.
Job environment was flexable
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJApril 5, 2018
The job was project driven and the opportunity to advance was limited. I worked with a good group of people that knew what they were doing. all of the work was gratifying.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Place to Work
Electrical Designer/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 30, 2018
Got every other Friday off was nice. Was high paced and they had high quality standards. Had a great supervisor for 5 years who allowed me to grow to be a better designer.
The best place I ever worked
Communication Engineer/Electrical Engineer IV (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 16, 2018
I loved working at Black & Veatch and I would love to do it again. Great environment, great people. The work is challenging and rewarding. I had great coworker when I was there.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Wish I still work there
Starts off wonderful
Engineering Technician 3 (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 15, 2018
When I started this seemed like my dream job and place to work. But since the division of departments and new department head things have taken a turn. They have nerfed the chances of advancement in your position. And they no longer show appreciation to the employees in the new department. All other departments have events, group outing, birthday celebrations each month. Things have changed and it makes you feel unappreciated.
Pros
Benifits, Pay
Cons
Work Enviornment, Managment, Growth
Frequent rounds of terminations/layoffs
Construction Associate I-II (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 13, 2018
Workplace culture is fun, with there being lots of activities for young professionals. However, there is little to no job security in the oil & gas department.
The worse place I have ever worked @
Professional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 7, 2018
Poor management, lack of support. No leadership at the corporate level, there is no advancement. No plan or strategy on how they operate, always firing the work force so people are on edge. It's not what you know but who you know.

They have a lot to learn, of how to treat there professional's working them 80 hours for 50 hours of pay is NOT the way!
Pros
Sick leave, 401k
Cons
Treat there professional like trash
Middle Management
CAD Technician/Designer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 5, 2018
Middle Management needs a huge wake up call, and project managers are rouge.....No career advancements based on actual hard-work and dedication you can be the hardest working individual and sacrifice time with your family to push out finished product to the client and they will just look over you if you aren't part of there "GOOD OL BOY CLUB". If you upset the wrong person you can receive a review that looks great on all aspects with praise from everyone on how hard and great worker, blah blah blah.. And if that one person has enough pull you are railroaded and don't expect to receive a yearly cost of living raise, pay raise, or kiss advancement good bye.
Pros
some good people
Cons
Political BS individuals taking credit for work or designs that are not theirs.
Good working environment
Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAMarch 2, 2018
The work was great. I love laying out fiber networks in CAD. We supported a construction build in the Columbus metropolitan area. We sent permits to the municipalities and drawings to the contractors.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Contractors were expendable
Took a little too long to identify the problem
Warehouse/Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Conyers, GAMarch 1, 2018
In one of the satellite branches, it took upper management a little too long to identify the problem. B&V lost a handful of great people because they were oblivious to the practices of the management they had in place at said satellite office. B&V is a big company and acts the role. If you are looking for a large company to work for, they are certainly worth a shot.
great place to work
STRESS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 23, 2018
One of my first jobs out of college. Learned a lot from good people and good engineers. Job got a little boring for me after 5 years but if you like pure engineering work, this is a good place to be.
Pros
Very professional environment
Cons
can be a little boring
Fast Paced friendly environment
Project Facilitator I (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNFebruary 20, 2018
Very good place to start your career. The job is satisfying for goals oriented people. The hardest part is constant change and multiple duties. I learned how to manage projects, time and to embrace changes according to the project needs.
Hit and Miss
Electrical Engineer II - Power Delivery (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 17, 2018
When I started I had a great supervisor that upheld the values that Black & Veatch claims to support. The company claims that there is great opportunity for movement and advancement. They also claim that they are a family values company. There was a shake up on my team and I was assigned to a new supervisor. I had children and he did not. He did not support family values. He mad my work life very miserable. I went to upper management and they acted as though they supported me. Instead of assigning me to a new supervisor, per my request, they gave my supervisor more control over me. My work life went from fun and relaxed to stressful and depressing.

Upper management will always side with the supervisor no matter what the situation.
Senior Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 17, 2018
This is a great place to work with fantastic management. The atmosphere is very collaborative and promoted teamwork. The culture is conducive to learning regardless of the level of the employee. They conduct training to learn from other projects and people.
Pros
Great people
Cons
A lot of travel
Blah Blah Blah
Any (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 15, 2018
Advancement opportunities are offered based on who you know not what you know. It doesn't matter how hard that you work, if you don't fit into their little box they will make it very hard for you.
Pros
Pto, Health Insurance started day 1
Cons
everything else