Black & Veatch Employee Reviews

A great place to work
ACCOUNT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Bucks, ALOctober 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Black and Veatch. They are a great company. They are very professionals and stick by the rules. They treat everyone with respect. You either going to love them or hate them. I love them because I appreciate the fairness.
Run away while you can.
Management (Current Employee) –  DenverOctober 11, 2018
You are out of your mind if you choose to work on a Colorado Project!

The project associates are terrible and cower to heresay due to being terminated.
Pros
Cons
CUT THROAT does not begin to describe the projects.
Contract win dependent
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 4, 2018
Plenty of autonomy and highly stressful. They company has an old school advancement tradition. It is based on social interaction rather than individual performance.
Good overall place to work
Senior Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2018
Definitely a male-dominated industry! When I worked there, administrative personnel were required to either work in the mailroom or in word processing for a period of at least 6 months. Few opportunities for collaboration. However, an ambitious employee can work their way up the ladder if they have enough patience.
Pros
Well respected in the industry; opportunities for advancement
Cons
Male-dominated, somewhat chauvinistic atmosphere.
Can be flexible, but advancement can be limited
Electrical Engineer 3 (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2018
Black and Veatch can be a good, flexible place to work with good job security, but not enough recognition/compensation is given to engineers under level 4. Management is dedicated to keeping its employees busy, but sometimes they lose sight of their employees necessary work life balance.. Everyone seems so busy, that they don't always have time to invest into lower level professionals.
Great company to work for
Project Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 11, 2018
Great company to work for always training their employees and open door policy lots of opportunities within the company for advancement as well as engagement of internal events
Pros
employee owned with flexable hours
Cons
long days
You are kept busy
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 10, 2018
Black and Veatch is a great place to work. It gives you an opportunity to grow and learn as an engineer. You get the chance to do a lot of different projects that prepare you for your future.
High Job security
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2018
I think the opportunities are much more the HQ then in regional office. THe work culture is pretty laid back which is great and lets you progress at your own pace but then compensation isnt competitive and no bonuses for engineers below level 4.
team efforts mentality
Regional General Manager-ENE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77056August 23, 2018
directed the oil and gas business development with a target of $400MM. wining projects, proposals, coordination's and communication. keep client happy
Pros
all work with excellent team
Cons
too much meetings
Typical Engineering Consultant
TRANSMISSION LINE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAAugust 19, 2018
Good company, bad office. Office in walnut creek is growing still, needs time to develop before hiring entry level engineers. Lot of moving, tiny workspace and no visibility within company.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
non existant bonuses
na
OSP Lead Design Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 17, 2018
this is great place to work, lots of great folks, a bit tied in the corp to corp world.. I do think this place is very open to its employees and will do great things in the future.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Regional Office/Not much room for growth within certain departments
Procurement Representative II (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORAugust 8, 2018
There are some amazing people that work there and the quality of work provided to clients was outstanding. However, certain departments don't have much room for growth in regional office. Often times if you were not in a certain clique, favoritism was given for promotions instead of work performance. I found what we did as as a team was exciting and I learned so much. Some wonderful mentors and people I respect. I hear management has made changes and hopefully for the better to help with overall morale. Definitely a very reputable company and catches eyes on your resume, if you're fortunate to work for them.
Positive Experience
Accounting (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 27, 2018
Really great place to work with a great group of people. I was able to learn a lot and grow as a professional. I value the experiences I gained from the position there.
Great team to work with
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 25, 2018
This was my first real job at 22 years old and living in Los Angeles (raised in Atlanta). It was a dream to be working for this company and closely with the City of Santa Monica. We had wonderful meetings and everyone got along in the small space we shared.
Was great place to work
OSP 4 Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 19, 2018
Not much to say life was good then out if the blue dam I was left go there was no explanation there was never a company policy broken no violations and never a write up of any kind
Pros
The work
Cons
The management
Nice but cut throat
Warehouse Operations Lead (Current Employee) –  Garner, NCJuly 16, 2018
Be ready to always be to blame for things that are not your fault.
Can be fired in an instant.
All others will take credit for your work.
My way or the highway.
Lots of promises from mid-management
Site Superintendant (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 12, 2018
Top management spot on... mid-management has a lot to learn.
Mid-management does not seem to have practical experience and do not utilise skills of their team adequately.
Pros
Good back-up support
Cons
Poor mid-management
B&v
Project Controls Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 3, 2018
The most organized company I have ever worked for. From Document Control to Engineering Deliverables to Subcontracting and how they are handled/issued. I think wow we did this 20yrs ago at B&V. They just had poor management.
Entry Level only
Database Administrator (DBA) (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 2, 2018
BV is a good place to start for those fresh out of college. However, anyone with any ambition or intelligence leaves within 3 years. Those that stay slug their way to middle management positions and make life miserable for everyone around them. This is paper-pushing at its finest.
Pros
Decent pay/benefits
Cons
Obsessive culture, poor management
Good Starting Job
ETTCS Site Acquisition Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJuly 2, 2018
Fast paced work environment. Hired people when needed and let go when done. Great structure for project managers to help get projects completed on time.