Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews

sometimes overwhelming
dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CADecember 9, 2018
i honestly don't have anything to say about Black Bear Diner but that they can be a lil annoying with the hours and they could have better communication with everybody...
Fast Paced restaurant with friendly employees
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Chino, CADecember 8, 2018
I close weekends so its usually quite busy. This being the first job I ever held, I learned a lot, such as how to work and not to agree to on the job training without pay. Management went trough some changes but at the end of the day the both kept the place running. The employees I work with are the main reason I am able to stay content in such a humbling position. The hardest part of my job is handling food debris, the funnest part is free meals ironically.
poor management
Cook (Former Employee) –  Willows, CADecember 5, 2018
Never make more than minimum wage. I was promised a promotion but never received. When I was given more task such as training i asked for more money and was terminated. Lousy manager and an owner who doesnt care.
Cons
Not a good place to work
Terrible management
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CADecember 3, 2018
Working at black bear was a waste of time, and effort. The training was short, and the managers would yell at you without telling you what you did wrong. I would not recommend this work place.
Pros
50℅ off meals
Cons
Terrible management and very little hours
Needs help management wise big time
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 27, 2018
I would recommend this as a place to work if they hired new management. They dont follow proper safety procedures after employees get hurt. Great team members but again their management needs to either be fired or need to go through serious training. DM is also horrible and needs to be replaced. Quick turnover rate due to these issues
Cool place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 19, 2018
Id recommend it if you like serving and want fast paced environments with easy hours. Far easier than most restaurants for time off requests. Also good tips as long as you're efficient and can do your job correctly. Chefs are fast for the most part so if you're behind its because you put your order in too EARLY compared to immediately like most restaurants.
Quick paced
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTNovember 19, 2018
quick paced and lots of work. good pay. all depends on the manger in your location. we went through many different workers and managers. your pay depends on your work ethic
Good restaurant
Server (Current Employee) –  Layton, UTNovember 15, 2018
Overall it is good. Long hours & you work ALL holidays including Xmas. Good money. More sidework than most places. Management is unstable, always changing & they tend to hire managers that are not adaquate. When they do get a good manager, they do not stay long (probably from poor pay and not treating them well).
Pros
Good money
Cons
Management, long hours, work holidays, sidework
Feels like Family
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 15, 2018
The culture of workers is what makes the job great. Never before have I been so close with co-workers. I have made lifetime friends working there. However, management is poor, and scheduling is sub-par. It is difficult to gain time off for important events, and it is mandatory for all employees to work holidays (thanksgiving, christmas, etc.)
Pros
Easy serving job, 50% off employee meals while working
Cons
Difficult scheduling, Minimal benefits, Poor management
Decline
Server/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORNovember 12, 2018
I decline to give feedback or review at this time. I had a horrible experience and do not want to promote bias. I feel they are not supportive and allow hostility to grow
Engaging, but difficult work.
DMO (Former Employee) –  Wilsonville, ORNovember 10, 2018
You have to be quick on your feet to keep up with the work load, however the appreciation from the other staff and the free food made it all so worth it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Exhausting work
Family style restaurant.
Busser/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Redding, CANovember 9, 2018
Black Bear Diner was a very busy restaurant. I learned a little bit of everything. Management was fair as long as you performed your job dutes. Workplace culture was good. Hardest part of the job was when it was so busy you worked many hours before you could get away for your break. Most enjoyable was a steady pace and tips.
great employees to work with. bit stressful
Cook (Former Employee) –  Sequim, WANovember 1, 2018
Could be a great place to work. Nut the mgrs font care about the cooks they like to overload the kitchen and then think that we can get it done fast without extra help
Pros
free meals
Cons
stressful work environment
Fun
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 18, 2018
Work days was very busy. Got along with co works and boss. No bad experience. I have nothing harsh to say about Black Bear Diner. It was fun while it lasted.
Pros
N?A
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work!
Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  UtahOctober 17, 2018
Black bear is up and coming in the restaurant industry. It is very busy and fast pace. Employees make great money and management is paid fairly. Being a busy restaurant, you’ll find yourself understaffed and overworked.
Pros
Awesome place to work and lots of overtime.
Cons
No days off, crazy schedules.
Family friendly environment. Unique atmosphere
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTOctober 2, 2018
Black Bear is dedicated to providing the guest with a great experience. the food is house-made and the portions are huge. You have to try the pancakes.
Fast paced good food fun
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTSeptember 26, 2018
Working here has been good however after a few years work life balance slipping and not enough money for the hours put in. Great owner awesome people just looking for better pay for experience in industry
Pros
Great owner awesome people
Cons
Low pay
Black Bear Cafe
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Denali National Park, AKSeptember 24, 2018
From the moment I walked in, to the point of leaving, I was embraced with good love and kindness. Lots of complaining due to confusion and disorientation, but the business is still in it's first handful of years. I will be coming back. 100%
Pros
Food is top notch
Cons
Placement of utensils and cookware is disorienting
Fast paced diner with friendly team members
Server (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 19, 2018
Black Bear has been an exceptional company to work. Managers foster an environment where you are happy and excited to come in. Everyone works together as a well oiled machine with the goal of top notch customer service. It is a popular location and with a big menu being expected to handle all that is expected for you can being challenging for some. As mentioned earlier, your entire team is there to he,p you every step of the way. The hours are excellent due to being open 6am to 10pm. Healthcare is also offered if you work full time.
Pros
Discounted meals and great hours
Cons
Quick paced and steadily popular
My experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CASeptember 12, 2018
Id say black bear dinner is a good job to start off if you want to build restaurant experience and get a feel for what its like to be in this environment, it didn't pay the best and they dont give you a raise no matter the position. Its a start up job that can be used to allow yourself to get a feel on whats its like to work in that setting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Bear Diner. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about