Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews

Management is great, worst part is down time.numbers matter
Chef/Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CAMarch 20, 2019
hard work , a lot of rush this rush that even when you dont have the time, swaping, multitasking is a must, dish washing, ordering product, putting away product , Sanitizing , keeping things clean is a MUST. management is the most amazing personal experience I have ever seen. down side , tbh if numbers fall..... so will you, bottom lime matters
Pros
The Cleanest Resturant, free food here and there.
Cons
when things are slow hours hurt and management will try but are limited on hours. High Stress.
Loved the coworkers bad management
Server (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTMarch 18, 2019
No one on same page
Hours were not consistent
Fun
Associate (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAMarch 13, 2019
It was a great first job. The environment was very fun and welcoming. The area is also nice, close to downtown Fullerton. It is a pretty laid back job for the most part.
Very cool place to work.....i had no work experience....now Black Bear has me ready for any restaurant...
Hostess and Cashier, cook, dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMarch 13, 2019
Fun friendly good food order of operation is one of the best ....learning Management understand situations Handle the problems real well It's on the job training
FOOD SERVER (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 11, 2019
Was great working there at first, but my hours were getting cut little over time and had a discussion with management and nothing was done about it ,
Cons
The managers switched out a lot.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDMarch 8, 2019
A typical day at work was wondering who the manager was at the time, there was overall 6 different managers I was responding to at the time due to some of them switching out, and some coming in.

I learned how to operate a larger machine, I learned to work quick in a new environment.

The management was wishy washy. Seems like I was talking to someone new each month with different things to adjust to.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of staff, they said several times they were having a hard time finding people to hire.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to play music and some of the people there were very nice.
Pros
Lenient breaks.
One good manager the night shift
HOST/CAHIER (Current Employee) –  Manteca, CAMarch 7, 2019
Keeps you on your feet . It can be slow at times but you can always find something to do . When it gets busy managers get really mad and stressed . But at the end it’s a great work environment.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
After 5 hrs you need break
Average
Walnut Creek - Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAFebruary 28, 2019
I had a great time when working there. Made some good friends and worked hard. The day to day operations were standard but the people is what made the Walnut Creek so special.
Great place, generally good vibes, and fast paced
Busser (Current Employee) –  Oakley, CAFebruary 25, 2019
Awesome restaraunt and amazing food and great co workers. A very high paced and teamwork oriented job. If you’re the quiet introverted type, you’re definitley gonna have to open up here. I was very much that type, and honestly the job opened me up in a way I never thought I would and I love that about working here. Management here was good for the most part. As a busser/host, your job is to seat people as soon as possible. Sometimes servers get mad at you for seating too many at once. That’s where some of the stress comes in as a busser. You have to learn to please everyone.
Pros
50% off meals only during work hours
Cons
Too many 30 minute breaks despite not working 6 hours, stressful
Great
Server (Current Employee) –  Providence, UTFebruary 24, 2019
Great place to work. I really lived working here. The management is top notch. The only thing I would disagree on is how many servers there were on the floor and how the hosts sat people.
Great company to work for
Server (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 21, 2019
Black Bear Diner is a fast paced growing company all over the west coast. It was a fun establishment to work for.
A typical day varies from which location I worked at.
Serving you would come in prepare your section learn the special of the day and you would see a lot of the same guest from week to week. You were able to gain regular clientele

Management aspect you come in do the prep list for the day, Do ally rallys and pump the employees up for the day on what goals we wanted to hit for the day. The most enjoyable part was keeping 80 % of the new hire staff for the first two years of the new store open..
fun fast-paced work place
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Oakley, CA 94561February 6, 2019
Black Bear Diner is a really good place to work if it is your first job. the coworkers and management are all really great and the work environment is really fun and fast paced.
Good job, good people
Host (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Enjoyed time at BBD, didn't want to leave, but had to. Hours were not the best unfortunately. Management was honest and hard working. Some of the employees were questionable as to how they got jobs, but they were dealt with.
management
Dining Room Host/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 28, 2019
management at the black bear diner that i worked at was amazing. very easy to talk to and always willing to listen. great manager at chandler location
Pros
disocunts
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours
Very enjoyable work place
BusBoy/ Server (Former Employee) –  Auburn, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Great place to work, never really intended on leaving but had to move on. Manager is a wonderful person to work for, staff are also all super friendly!
Productive and fun work atmosphere
Assistant Kitchen Manager/ Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 23, 2019
Great job, fun people, learned a lot about management, and time management, got to experience a full breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu. Learned a lot of Spanish as of working there
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Short breaks
good place to work
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKJanuary 5, 2019
very considerate of your personal life and if you have family issues they let you take care of family first good employees and staff that get along to perform as a team
Nice place to work
Supervisor/Key Holder/Server (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 4, 2019
Nice job for part time and extra cash when you need it. The management is flexible with hours. The customers that come in are regulars and love the food and service.
Management has its favorites,and has never worked in the back or ever washed a dish,she made banana pie with out the bananas I fell bad for this place
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 30, 2018
after new management took over this place went downhill,if you ever think of working here be ready to be disappointed because of the fake promises....
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Favoritism
I’m looking for career advancement
Server (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 29, 2018
Work can be steady sometimes especially on holidays, after the holidays are over management tends to cut down on hrs. Right now I want to get another job that pays more. My plan is to take two years off from school, make some extra money and pursue a law degree from UCLA.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Bear Diner. Our community is ready to answer.