Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews

Good work experience but not all good employees
Server and Buser (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZSeptember 11, 2018
I rated how I did because my experience there wasn't a great one and I wouldn't recommend host or hostess to help the server's clean off the tables even if your title is host/ buster
Pros
Nice hours
Cons
Some server's were nasty
do not recommend
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Saugus, CASeptember 9, 2018
The store I worked at was very disorganized. The opening of the store felt rushed. Multiple managers came and went. The store was always filthy. They would consistently schedule one person to do a three person job. I am still in school and one time my manager did not schedule me the week school started because I "didn't tell him my availability" even though he never asked and it never changed so there was no need to tell him my availability. Overall do not recommend.
Pros
amazing coworkers
Cons
poor management, no benefits of any kind, hardly any hours, very short shifts, no way to live off of what I was being given as far as hours
Poor management
Server (Current Employee) –  WoodscrossSeptember 9, 2018
Very poor management, tons
Of backstabbing within hosts, servers, and management. Management and employees smoke pot during their shifts. Who ever supplies the drugs gets the good sections
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive and fun workplace
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CASeptember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at black bear diner. They treat their staff with dignity and respect. It is a good fair pay but unfortunately wasn’t enough to support me because California in general is just too expensive.
Management needs serious help.
Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CASeptember 6, 2018
Very fast pace, very little management help, favoritism, dirty, hours are unfair and zero positive reinforcement.
Managers talk down to employees and don't address customer complains. The training was excellent being it was a brand new restaurant but as soon as the trainers left everything went down hill. They don't care about the happiness of their staff and that turns into your best servers leaving, high turn over and staff not going to extra mile. Customers do take notice of all of those. Wish I didn't have to leave here cos my fellow crew were awesome to work with.
Pros
Great time with fellow employees and half off food on shift.
Cons
Hours, no help, management. Get managers from an outside source.
Fast paced, team work, always uplifting work enviorment
Server (Former Employee) –  Orem, UT and American Fork, UTAugust 31, 2018
I learned to work hard as a team player, to think quick on my feet, and make the guest experience one they would never forget. I was always excited and actually felt as if i were a part of something working this job. Management has its good and bad but for the most part my GM was amazing, caring, and very fun to work for, The assistant on the other hand made the work environment always on edge. The workplace was always a bright uplifting fun place to be no matter what mood i was in i always left with a positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of this job was satisfying customers but the hardest part was having that one or two coworkers that were lazy and seemed to be entitled.
Pros
Made very good money and learned valuable work ethics
Cons
Being one of the strong servers and management always counting on you.
no training and expected to know everything
food prep (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDAugust 31, 2018
not a pleasant place to work. no training and treated poorly, had hours cut for no reason.
i was told after some training i would get more hours and there was no training and they cut my hours and were rude to me
Not a good environment
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTAugust 29, 2018
I worked at Black Bear as a host, we never got breaks to eat even when I worked 10 hour shifts, the discounts were kind of nice but it was only for about 7 food items. If you had an emergency and couldn't find someone to cover your shift they would write you up. If you were 5 minutes late they would write you up. Managers would constantly criticize employees, and would talk about them behind their backs to OTHER employees. Not a professional place. NOT a good establishment. Save your time and apply somewhere else.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No lunch breaks
it sucked
Dishwasher/Sever (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDAugust 28, 2018
The company is a joke and is blaming the general manager for the high turn over in that store but if the company would look at other places to work they would find out that other places have high turn overs in the area and when you make a complaint to the HR department they don't do anything about it and just push it under a rug to say
Pros
half off meals
Cons
not enough hours
acknowledgment
Busser/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 27, 2018
I feel all the time i am the hardest worker in the room, management is in process of swapping out/hiring...tips make my work feel unapreciated..looking for advancement .
Pros
Food discount
Cons
No benefits
Loved the environment but not the management
Host / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Westminster, COAugust 23, 2018
I worked at the Westminster location and I opened the store along with 90 new hires. It was a complete mess, and they messed up a lot of people's pay. The people I worked with were great, but as far as management went there was really only one manager that cared about what was happening in the store.
it was fast paced you did your job
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 22, 2018
there is no advancment more work no pay i would not recommend this place to knowone was not a good job,.iwashed dishes plus did prep work,but i went to work every day
Great place
Busser (Former Employee) –  Oakley, CAAugust 19, 2018
Fast pace environment. Owner was a good guys mangment was great. Co-workers friendly and glad you are there. Enoyed working here and it really made me push myself
Pros
Half off food
Cons
Half off food
having fun in the back
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAAugust 13, 2018
I love working there it is fun and there is a lot to do there and you don't get bored with the same thing all the time there is plenty of things to do
Pros
free lunch
Cons
a lot standing up on my feet
welk
Night Server (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAAugust 10, 2018
too many general manager changes in first 3-6 months

communication was non-existent

place schedules up less than 1 day before shift

this black bear is being run by people who have never been in the restaurant business
Fast paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTAugust 10, 2018
Great place to meet nice sweet co workers and customers.
It was a very busy establishments.
And a great place to work and eat.
Very organized, lots of work and always busy.
Pros
Discounts, great customers and employees.
Cons
Not very many breaks.
Fun place to work
waitress (Former Employee) –  Lake Havasu City, AZAugust 9, 2018
It was very easy to get along with all of the coworkers and managers. It was clear what was expected from you every day, I just wish there would have been more benefits
Sloppy management
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 3, 2018
I still have not been paid and it's been three weeks since I started and about one week since I quit. My manager has had TWO WEEKS to approve my direct deposit form. She still has not bothered.

Management was lazy and I often found myself doing the work of three hostesses instead of one.
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
No breaks, rude managers, some lazy coworkers
busy and active work invioemnt
Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAAugust 1, 2018
my typical day at work usually starts off busy, a lot of running around and helping everybody with other as well as getting my own job done. The manment is usually on top of things, making sure every part about black bear is righthardest part about my job would be inpatient people other than that its a fun active work place.
Pros
active friendly
Cons
busy, inpateint customers
Run of the mill restaurant job
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJuly 17, 2018
Not my worst or best restaurant job. Management has changed several times while I was there. One slept with employees. Another came in drunk on shift. When management changes 4 times in 3 years that says something and not in a good way.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Open EVERY holiday. Don't expect to see your family on these days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Bear Diner. Our community is ready to answer.