Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews

Someone who has been there from opening....
Server (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJune 5, 2018
The team that has helped open the new store in citrus heights back in feb 2017....Since then all the beginning management has walked out, and current management is pushing out old employees.
Pros
Cons
Breaks are pushed out.
Poor workplace with poor mangement
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 27, 2018
My experience is this workplace was by far my worst. Not only did it not sustain my home life. I was struggling to make ends meet and to keep up with bills. No holidays off, and missed family gatherings. Most enjoyable part of the day was the people. Some of the co workers made the job worth staying for. The hardest part of the job was just the rush of things when it got busy there was no team effort and simply everyone for themselves as far as helping.
Cons
No breaks
Fairly decent workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVMay 25, 2018
Always running out of supplies, very hard to get time off work, not a lot of flexibility. Tips are decent, pay is minimum. Coworkers are fun and experienced. Management needs help.
Not recommend to work here.
Server/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 20, 2018
I feel this would be an awesome place to work if the management would be different. They expect us to run around all shift and not spend time with customers. I feel there more about the numbers including the employees. The customers are Great. The food is good, with big size portions.
Pros
High volume at times.
Cons
Management, and few hours, 4 hrs to 6 hrs per shift
n/a
Server (Current Employee) –  Yuma, AZMay 14, 2018
Working as a server can be very stressful. You always have something to do and it makes your time at work fly. the environment is always great and positive.
This was the best job i had
Server (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CAMay 6, 2018
my day consisted of greeting guests and serving them adequately. Everyone there is absolutely amazing. Everyone is very friendly and it felt like a family. hardest part of the job is when we got busy and i got sat too many times, i got stressed.
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Short breaks
great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 2, 2018
loved black bear diner. great place to work and an overall good environment. employees are very nice and very fun to work with. Would recommend to anyone
Best Place to work
Supervisor/Server (Former Employee) –  Willows, CAApril 26, 2018
Black Bear Diner is the best place to work. I learned a lot about becoming a waiter. The environment is very nice and everyone treats each other with respect. Everyone feels equal.
Relaxed environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 25, 2018
Never worked my full scheduled shift due to lack of hours. Managers where not involved. Servers would complain about seating assignment since there wasn't enough guest to provide enough work for the amount of servers on shift
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Not enough hours
Great
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Chubbuck, IDApril 18, 2018
Loved working for Black bear diner it sucked that they had to close but the work inviroment was great and so were the employees and the management was great as well.
Fast paced
Dishwasher/Hostess/Cook (Former Employee) –  Redmond, ORApril 6, 2018
Always got to be ready for whatever is coming. Fast paced and very interesting. You get to meet all kinds of people. Most enjoyable part if the job is meeting new people.
Terrible
Server (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVMarch 24, 2018
Preference was given to former employees. Those of us that were new had to be so competitive we all ended up hating each other. The kitchen staff was terrible, food was left out and the kitchen was unclean. I stopped eating there. Management was condescending, preferential and unprofessional. I was hired to be full time and because they were over staffed I never got more than 3 days a week. Guest complaints constantly. Everyone was miserable and I was happy to finally find something else.
Pros
Cons
Run very badly
Good Place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAMarch 23, 2018
It was hot int he kitchen and super busy, but we had employee meetings every month which was nice. we got half off our meals, they were very understanding when it came to working around my schedule since i was a single mom
Underpaid for hard work
Busser (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAMarch 21, 2018
I became friends with all of my co workers. I was a busser so I became friends with the bidders and dishwashers. We all were underpaid,over worked, and over looked. I had three managers and only one was helpful and really trying to help me out. He was the best. But the other man and woman treated us like nothing. I’m pretyy sure they looked at us like we were trash. They promised me that I would be a host in a month. I worked there for three months and all the other bussers quit within that time so I was the only one bussing. $11.00 an hour. Also the waitresses never shared tips. Like ever. I got maybe $4 a week.
Pros
Discounted lunch if you’re clocked in. They usually make you clock out though
Cons
Over worked. Under paid. Treated like garbage.
Alright job, certain type of person needed
Utah - expeditor (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMarch 17, 2018
Its alright, you need to have a certain type of personality to handle the culture that goes there and works there. Better than most chain waiter jobs.
good atmosphere to work in
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 15, 2018
This was one of my first real jobs and I worked there for years. everyone was great and got along well. I made good money there and the management is great
Was hired on to earn a certain wage and a short while later the general manager got replaced and they changed my pay to less.
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CAMarch 11, 2018
Childish company with huge favoritism and horrible management. Changed pay and would not pay what was originally agreed upon even though they admitted the offer made was valid.
Cons
lazy managent and cooks
Ehh
Hostess/Busser/Server (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89123March 10, 2018
I have learned a lot being at Black Bear Diner for a year, I have made friends and enjoyed my work environment. The problem is the management isn't worth the job. you will barely exceed a 5-6 hour shift unless its a holiday, and the pay doesn't match up. In order for me to make some decent money I had to beg to become a busser, because they wouldn't promote me to serving, and that was a promise made from the beginning. Its a fun job, but its short hours, small pay, and no benefits.
Very stressful environment.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Willows, CAMarch 5, 2018
Lots of favoritism, Severe lack of teamwork, Night crew always set up for failure, and would be pushed to whatever morning crew wouldn't. Lots of drama, and harassment. No health insurance in a dangerous work environment. Management is a behind the scenes type, builds up what employee does wrong, and instead of any progressive disciplinary action, they go straight to suspension and termination. I have learned that you can be lied about, and be fired for it, instead of simply being talked to.
Pros
unlimited drinks
Cons
no benefits
Was a very friendly family atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMarch 1, 2018
It was a decent place to work. The customers were very friendly. The management needed some work. Very unprofessional. The other staff was nice to work with.
Pros
Lenient
Cons
The managers were very unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Bear Diner. Our community is ready to answer.