Black Hawk College

Black Hawk College Employee Reviews

perfect if like working basically by yourself
5 hour shift, short meeting and then go to your assigned area. pretty much working by yourself mostly. clean all responsible areas.Hardest part sometimes are the hours (10:30 am til 3:30 am five days straight)
Very Great Opportunity
I loved working with the staff an college students great experience! Very nice group of people make you feel like Family! Nice clean environment with no drama!
Black Hawk College is a great institution to work for and is located in a prime area of the community.
Black Hawk College is a great institution to work for, with collaboration from other experienced faculty members. The location of the school provides close access to work. Information is provided as to how to best perform your job as well as access to Teacher Learning Centers.
Great Part-Time/Student position
I worked at BHC at the Welcome Desk while taking classes part and full-time as a student employee. The schedule was flexible for me with classes and my other job. My supervisor and coworkers were very team-oriented. The job was best for me while taking classes since I was able to study. My reason for leaving is that I am pursuing internships in my field of study that pay higher and are more fulfilling for me and my future career.
Do not work in the Risk Management Department.
Can't explain ALL the issues. Hated working there. The Director of Risk Management micromanaged me to the point of absolute frustration. I was not permitted to speak to most of staff. There were 5 different Unions and each had their own agendas and issues. The software program for inventory control was a nightmare.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
everything else
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Hard work required but worth it
This job is great for anyone looking to make a little extra while going to school at BHE. A typical day is sweeping the floors, cleaning out tack rooms, emptying trash cans and cleaning anything else needed. Also watering the arena and dragging it.
Pros
you make money
Cons
its work
Good Working Enviroment
The teaching staff are friendly and dedicated to helping students succeed. There is some flexibility with creating your schedule. Overall, a very welcoming place to work.
I loved working in human resources at Black Hawk College it was designed to help you succeed. The pay was not very good but HR training was priceless.
preparing for the orientation process
opening/updating/closing FMLA cases,

Meeting with union reps

how to manage time wisely

very friendly

woking with teams
Pros
Willing to pay for any training needed to succeed
Cons
make sure paper work is error free or has to be resubmitted.
Union work getting in the way of care for students
Small community campus that serves a great need in the area, but too many took advantage of the lack of competition, and the students did not always receive a good education. There are some excellent people there, but there were also a lot of people just taking up space and calling themselves professors.
Work study helped to learn more while getting paid.
Getting more hands on experience while also getting paid was a plus. Although it was easy to get burned out if you have a lot of credit hours on top of the work study.
A fun and beneficial occupation
Tutoring students was something I took great pride in. I felt students who came to see me for tutoring services were able to complete their assignments with a better understanding of the subject matter. Some days were busy, while others were dreadfully slow. I learned how to be more patient with my peers and improve my communication skills. The management was fair and very helpful. Other tutors offered advice and opinions on how to better aid a student's success. The hardest part of the job was when there were no students who needed my services. I had to stay alert for any student looking for help and not goof off. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people succeed.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and management
Cons
Pay and hours could have been more
Very well learning experience and fun teachers to listen to
Red was the name of our main teacher, Wallie Long was the secondary hands on in the shop. All John Deere related tactics got us prepared to take on the real world. One can go back for a new chapter of welding and or pay to practice new techniques in the Industrial training lab center.
Pros
school went easy and did learn the described terms
Cons
I had to be here straight from work. could hardly stay awake.
Poor administration turned the poor college into a burning house. ESCAPE!
The poor college was rundown by an incompetent presidency into a ghost institution. In a span of 3-4 years the college sacked over 50 full-time faculty (even tenured)and other staff. The college went from 5 deans to 1 "executive" dean, 3 VPs to 1 VP, lost many other senior positions, shut down Fine Arts department, geology, Veterinary and Small Business Development Center just to name a few. Looking for a faculty, staff or admin job? Someone went into a sacking frenzy to settle imaginary scores or whatever. DON'T EVEN COME WITHIN 10 MILES OF THIS COLLEGE
Pros
Typical community College
Cons
Zero job security, tenured or not!
Nice ambience and full of social interactions
It's usually busy. The other workers and work together well but there is drama there. I basically learned how to retrieve certain books corresponding to the students booklist. Also, I would assist customers in task or any questions they may have about the campus or other information.
Woring at Black Hawk College
I was an intern so I didn't get to be there long (it was a one-month contract). I also spent most days doing research and reporting back to my manager, which I liked a lot.

Only downside is the college discontinued my program, so they do not offer jobs in the International Trade Center anymore.
Pros
Great work life balance, lunch breaks
Cons
does not exist anymore
Awesome Personal Experience with Coworkers
The staff is always so welcoming, whether a fellow coworker or just a student wandering along campus. Always a friendly face to help out and people are always to give tips to help one another truly thrive in this workspace.
Nice place to get your degree
Everything is new in the Health Sciences Building....It is beautiful.
Instructors are nice and helpful.

Need more hands on training in the nursing program.
People are friendly.
Typical day was working with a variety of internal and external customers.
No prior experience needed in some management positions.

Work environment can be enjoyable depending on the department you work in; there is a lot of community participation.

The culture of the College tends to change with the College's management.

Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and working with the students and faculty members.
Pros
People are friendly. Off on holidays. Good benefits.
Cons
Not encouraged to self-educate. State funding affects employment.
Associate Professor
Taught classroom and clinical with fundamental nursing students in an associates nursing program.
Worked in nursing lab to teach skills prior to clinical in hospitals
Decent place to work
Overall good place to work. Good work life balance, fun culture, dedicated employees, helpful HR department, and up to date technology. Annual increases and out of class pay guaranteed for unions but not for non union employees. No additional increases for going above and beyond unless you work directly for the head of finance, despite the budget and layoffs.
Pros
Free tuition, inexpensive benefits, great employees, engaged HR department
Cons
Union heavy and low wages
college
Has a great education system. Teachers are good at doing their job. I also like it that the classes are a little far because it is good exercise walking to class.
Pros
everything basically
Cons
parking lot