Black Hawk College Employee Review

View all Black Hawk College reviews

Great if you have a master's degree
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 17, 2012
I have worked for BHC for a total of 17 years, and I have loved almost every minute of it. I teach English as a Second Language to international students from all countries of the world. I teach grammar, pronunciation, writing, and reading. The ESL Coordinator and International Coordinator are the best people I have ever worked with in my entire life, and my only regret is that I never got my master's degree when I had the chance. Now I can work as many adjunct hours as they give me, but I can never be full time or get benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students learn idioms and understand Americans better than they ever have before.
Pros
getting to meet such a diverse population
Cons
no master's degree, no full time work

Other Black Hawk College Employee Reviews

Very well learning experience and fun teachers to listen to
Student (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 29, 2018
Red was the name of our main teacher, Wallie Long was the secondary hands on in the shop. All John Deere related tactics got us prepared to take on the real world. One can go back for a new chapter of welding and or pay to practice new techniques in the Industrial training lab center.
Pros
school went easy and did learn the described terms
Cons
I had to be here straight from work. could hardly stay awake.
Poor administration turned the poor college into a burning house. ESCAPE!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Moline and Kewanee ILFebruary 16, 2018
The poor college was rundown by an incompetent presidency into a ghost institution. In a span of 3-4 years the college sacked over 50 full-time faculty (even tenured)and other staff. The college went from 5 deans to 1 "executive" dean, 3 VPs to 1 VP, lost many other senior positions, shut down Fine Arts department, geology, Veterinary and Small Business Development Center just to name a few. Looking for a faculty, staff or admin job? Someone went into a sacking frenzy to settle imaginary scores or whatever. DON'T EVEN COME WITHIN 10 MILES OF THIS COLLEGE
Pros
Typical community College
Cons
Zero job security, tenured or not!