Black Horse Carriers, Inc. Employee Reviews

Featured review
Black Horse Carriers, Inc. selected this as a representative review
Really nice environment
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 20, 2018
Everyone will try to help you, if you ask for that , and them equipment is top quality. If you love work at night it’s the best part day work it’s available too.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Drive a different truck every day
Great place to work if you have the right work ethic
Route Driver class A “Hazmat” (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 11, 2018
I have been driving for Blackhorse for 5 plus years now. I am a stand alone driver meaning that another driver transfers my load to me 5 nights a week. It is a graveyard shift which can be a bit of an adjustment for some. But I am home with my family every day. The pay is very competitive... you have the opportunity for quarterly bonuses which is a plus with any company. I am part of the automotive division and delivery to 11 stores nightly. I stand alone... I do my job and go about my day. There is no micro managing, no insane amount of drama... just do the job you are paid to do and have integrity, be honest, and well basically do what you are paid to do and this would be the perfect fit for any driver. With any job there are going to be ups and downs... but you know exactly what you signed up for. Benefits are great, the weekly paychecks are good, there are 7 paid holidays and after 2 years you get 2 weeks vacation... 1 week after a year. The job will give to you what you put into it. I enjoy the company and believe that you will as well, given that you just do your job.
Pros
Management, pay, communication, and overall support
Cons
Graveyard shift
The absolute Worst job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LaSeptember 15, 2018
Work extra with no compensation. I run 600 plus miles, 13-14 hr days. Doing this for 5yrs and still haven’t gotten a raise of any sort. work every Saturday, forced dispatch even in dangerous weather. Everyday you go to work based on a phone call. Can’t get days because no one to cover your run. Upper management does not car about you, just the freight moving by any means necessary. Be smart, don’t waste your time... stay away!!!!
Black Horse Does NOT Care About YOU
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dwight, ILFebruary 15, 2019
Black Horse will tell you how much money you will make when you first enter the door but they will NOT tell you the stuff you have to do to get it. First off you HAVE to load and unload your own trucks. Secondly you will have to work around lumpers in the warehouse that are rude to you and won't let you use a powered jack you need to load your truck. Third, the Aldi's employees can basically get you fired on the spot if you make them upsetin any way. The Aldi's warehouse is basically an Amazonian hierarchy led by upset women always on the rag.
Black Horse does NOT have enough trucks for everyone. So most of the time you are spending your time waiting for equipment to use to do your job. Second, Black Horse doesn't have enough keys for the Aldi stores so sometimes you have to wait or track down a key to open a store just to do your job.
Last thing I will mention is that NO ONE cares what you do. If you have a problem, you are just a nuisance and management would rather just fire you than to deal with you. Black Horse is a bad place to work and I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

The dispatcher will just say anything to you to dismiss you.
Pros
Cons
NO Equipment, NO Keys, No One cares about anything, Low Pay
Overall review
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 16, 2019
This is a great job to stay in shape. The job is very physical demanding. Fast pace if you don’t want the long hours that it can be from working slow.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and management.
Cons
Have to be in good physical shape.
No life with working night shift
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 12, 2018
Nice trucks to operate but working out of Naperville,Illinois Napa location is a joke, have to get there at 830 daily but they never have loads ready to after 10 pm, get paid after 1 hour of Napa delay is also a joke have to fight for the delay time pay, loads are always loaded top heavy unsecured unsafe. lead driver is level headed, but other management is a joke, there on board cameras are a joke another way to spy on there employee.
I would stay far away from this company, no life working such long hours for terrible pay, they promise you a lot but never fulfill promises
only good is the other drivers are friendly
Pros
No 1 bothering you while doing your route
Cons
benefits are terrible
It's trucking... New age.... Cameras for your safety sometimes for bs.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saxonburg, PAJuly 27, 2018
It's a driving job. Plain and simple. It has it's good and bad but show me a place that don't. It's easy, friendly co-workers. Management is fine, sometimes a little inattentive but effective overall. I left here once not by choice but life made me. I came back as soon as I was able to. The moneys good if your an earner. If your lazy stay away... It's not for you. The cameras suck but understandable. I rarely have any camera set offs of any sort. It's slip seating 101....you take what's there... Sometimes you wait but are paid for it. Most of the time you dont wait at all. People who say different are the non earners and complainers... They're everywhere. I've worked here 6 years it's the most I've ever earned(20 years driving) and the easiest labor wise.
Pros
Good$$, new equipment, friendly Co workers
Cons
Night shift stinks, some long hours, cameras
High stress, limited training, over worked tired employees, unfair routing assignments
Transportation supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTAugust 14, 2018
Extremely poor upper management from area manager on up. Seems like these good ole boys only walked around getting nothing accomplished when that visited. Family members made part of the upper management after marrying into the ownership's family. Not a healthy environment for job security when things go wrong, they are always looking for someone to blame other than themselves for there poor decisions,
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management and drivers overworked, quick to fire employees, low morale
Wouldn't recommend this job to anyone
Grocery delivery CDL class A driver (Current Employee) –  Saxonburg, PAJanuary 18, 2019
You can make good money if you want to give up your personal and family life. You get paid holidays but you have to work 80 percent of them. You Max out vacation at ten days per year no matter how many years your there. There is an attendance policy for call offs but you get no sick days or personal days. Management treats you like you're easily replaceable but they are finding out that's not so. One other thing you should know is If a company is offering a 10000 dollar signing bonus they are going to do their best not to give it to you. I hope this was helpful.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management, expensive health insurance
Great Place to Work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PASeptember 5, 2018
Black Horse Carriers is a great Place to work and Drive. Management was always helpful and easy to talk to, and the other drivers were great. Pay was more than competitive an the benefits were great too.
Pros
great pay, great people
Bad place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 22, 2018
They don't care about anything but moving freight. Long hours with no support. Truck loaded like badly . O well that's the driver's problem same with every other problem . The cameras in the cab are a joke . Very unsafe . Do not make a mistake ! Or you're fired . Drivers are just a number .
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything. rotten place to work
Hands down one of the worst companies I've ever worked for.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILDecember 2, 2018
Black Horse Carriers is probably one Of the worst companies I've ever worked for. I dispatched for them for six months and in that time I saw nothing but absolute chaos. Yeah there are good and bad days but there's consistently BAD management. As an overnight representative it is your responsibility to babysit entitled and incompetent drivers through their routes while constantly having to remind them of their daily duties. When drivers mess up you are ultimately the one reprimanded because management is always looking for someone to pin it on.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Bad management, unorganized, but hey it's freight I guess.
Changed for the worse
Local Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Saxonburg, PADecember 11, 2018
I thought I would retire at Blackhorse 10yrs ago when I got hired, old owner took care of his drivers, now new people dont care, 3 out of the 4 office personnel shouldn't be in there, terminal manager is no good, pay is decent but have to work 13+ hours in order to achieve it. Paying new drivers $10,000 sign on bonus, but wont give drivers more than 2weeks vacation, no sick days...nothing, turn over ratio with in last 6 months is very high, because of management
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long days, management's not good
Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy
Driver loader whatever you ca!ll it (Former Employee) –  Center valley paJanuary 25, 2019
Would not recommend this company to anyone long hours low pay not even close to what they told you you would be making when interviewed therthere is a reason why this company offers a ten thousand dollar sign on bonus. Because after you see what is required of you at the center valley location they know that they will not pay many out.if you decide to work at center valley good luck you have been for warned:-\😅
Work alone
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Do your job and stay to self work not hard not a long day paid weekly trucks are good trailer are good benefits ok job security always something to do
Pros
Work not hard
Cons
Overnight
7 Owners don't know how to run a company
Doubles Driver (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHMarch 13, 2018
If you like to get home daily, and have weekends off it's the only good thing about working here.It's a race against your 14 hours they don't care about nothing except getting the load from point A to B. They preach about safety but you must do whatever it takes to deliver the load! Don't you dare ask for a day off or call off sick they will call you and harass you until you come in.Also you will never get a raise,or no more than 2 weeks vacation no matter how many years you are with them. Management is Horrible!
Pros
M thru F
Cons
No raise's, poor management
Steady work place. Just another number like anywhere else.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
I realize now that im no longer employes there how stressful thw work was. Camera in ur face. Write ups for everything. Empty promises. No raises thru out ur time there because of contract. If ur a hard worker they take advantage. If ur lazy u will b left alone.
Pros
Guaranteed pay
Cons
Nights. Late starts because of shipping.
No off days no matter if you are on your death bed they want you to work
Local Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Cicero, ILNovember 24, 2018
Last option gone work is fairly easy the management sucks overall the contract are good. The only thing is the days off and the lead drivers who think they are your boss want you to do your job for them.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
No days off
Don't bother
Driver (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILDecember 22, 2018
Management is totaling lacking here there is no aspect where management takes the lead. If it were not for the drivers and dock workers nothing would get accomplished. This company has grown too fast and lacks the management and management skills to maintain it's growth rate.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great company that is rising to the top!
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Nazareth, PAJuly 2, 2018
i’ve been w the automotive division and coming from foodservice background this is a welcome change of pace! it’s a dedicated route and double drop and hook... DOESNT GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS! They supply you w state of the art equipment and Penske does a fantastic job maintaining the fleet... I know a lot of people complain about every job but as far as trucking companies go in my opinion this is one of the best ones to work for because they don’t really ask much of you other than don’t crash the truck deliver the freight on time and comply with DOT regulations it really doesn’t get any more simple than that . I made the mistake of leaving here last year to take a job that promised me the world and failed to deliver and I left on good terms and the company took me back with open arms and I am so glad that I did so because it was like I never left . they honestly pay pretty good for the kind of work that you do and there is tons of room for advancement in this company if you are willing to do the work . I would definitely recommend anybody with a couple of years experience to come and try this out because you might be surprised at the culture here it is very laid-back and everybody has a clear-cut job to do and if you just do what is expected you have a long and productive career here .
Pros
awesome bosses, great fleet of equipment, decent pay
Cons
can’t really think of any
great place with a long term future
Driver (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 15, 2018
Black Horse is a great place to work. They really care about the employees and the future looks really good as the company keeps growing. benefits and pay are really good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Horse Carriers, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.