Black Horse Carriers, Inc. Employee Reviews

N/a
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJanuary 16, 2018
In my time with Black Horse it has been the lowest pay and the most work to be done since I started driving trucks. I was assured that I would be able to make more than enough money without a problem but unfortunately that has proven to be far from the case. Word of advice is to stay away from this company unless you like overworked and underpaid.
Not a good place to work
City/Line Haul Driver (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 23, 2017
They give you more work but no more pay. They rush you back from your route to do more work but no more money will be added to your pay. They also will give you a assigned route but will take it from you to accommodate someone else who’s complaining about their route
Pros
You get to work alone at your own pace
Cons
Poor management
Great Career Job
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Dwight, ILDecember 16, 2017
I've been a driver for Black Horse for nearly 6 months now and I must say its a great job so for. If you are looking for a job where you can be home everyday and work an east 10-13 hrs a night, this is the place. I work the Friday night - Monday night shift (only 4 days) so its quite nice to get time off. I get off Tuesday morning and have off til Friday night, so it feels like a mini vacation every week. Management is ok, but they are very strict when it comes to phone use while driving. THEY WILL WRITE YOU UP, if you get caught on the drivecam holding your phone. The Manager is super eager to write you up. Other than that, come to work every night, get your truck, load your food and head to your store to unload. Super easy. My checks average 1200-1400 a week. Its nice.
Pros
Lots of giveaways, 40-50 hr weeks, new trucks, xm radio, benefits
Cons
strict manager, more drivers than trucks available
Time to move on.
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILDecember 6, 2017
The company has potential to be a great place to work. Possible to make good money. However, not as possible as it used to be. Would take a fair amount of retooling to improve overall working conditions. Don't think management is willing to put in the work.
Pros
Flexible hours. Some good people
Cons
Management issues. Dispatch issues
Always plenty of work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MINovember 4, 2017
Pays well but a lot of work.....If you need the money it's will cost you the time with family. I don't recommend this place for a driver who has a young family you will lose memories that can't be replaced by a paycheck
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
Home life
Productive place of business
Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILSeptember 18, 2017
Black Horse Carriers is a great place to work. It has a great people friendly environment. Black Horse Carriers offered great benefits and opportunities to promote from within
Fast pasted nice environment
Lead (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 16, 2017
A lot of good people to work with in the building. The time seems to past quickly.They move a lot of freight each day. Whenever we make the set goals we strive for we also get little incentives.
It is a driving job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILAugust 5, 2017
Not a great place to work. Poor management. Decent pay for what it is. Typical truck driving delivery job. Be prepared to drive in horrible conditions.
Pros
Decent wages
Cons
poor management
Long hours, hard to obtain vacation time off, management poor, insurance good and reasonably priced.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TX 75019July 25, 2017
I never called in to work for any reason, performed my job well, no raises, worked nights with no time for family, sometimes work would begin at 1030pm sometimes not until 200am due to scheduling and performance of other drivers. Management was poor with submission of requested days off approved by management and then when those PTO days came around, it was oftentimes "I forgot, I don't have anyone to run the route, can you work?'
Ok place to work
CDL Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 18, 2017
I loved the old owners. They just sold the company to a new investment group. I don't like how they operate. The dispatcher is great. Management needs to get it together. Aldi is overwhelming them.
black horse carriers
Truck Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 10, 2017
very nice place to work with flexible hours nice management nice work place with friendly employes. as a team we got things done quick effeciently and correct. wonderful place to work
Pros
able to step out for short break whenever if needed
Cons
not a big insurance plan
good company
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 29, 2017
fair company and love the people i work with and you not at work all day. Benefits are o.k. great equipment well maintain. Monday through Friday job which is great.
Pros
my co workers were great to work with
Cons
paid by the day not per hour
Don't say anything that you don't want recorded!!!
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Center Valley, PAJune 24, 2017
Pay ok, Long hours (12 plus days), video you while your driving...bad they don't trust their drivers.. don't mine outside camera, but videotaping the driver is just wrong!
Pros
Good equipment & pay
Cons
Video camera of driver
Great company to work for. Opportunity for advancement.
Manager (Current Employee) –  NationwideJune 21, 2017
Black Horse Carriers is a great company to work for. Management takes very good care of all employees. Obviously it is impossible to make everybody happy, but most are happy with the company. While BHC is a bigger company, everybody in management is available and willing to take the time to talk to you if you have a problem. Employees are allowed to transfer within the company. If you decide that you want to move to a different part of the country and a position is available you are allowed to transfer. The job isn't for everybody. Most driving jobs within the company do require that the driver unloads freight. You are given all of the tools to do the job safely and as easily as possible and the drivers are paid well for the work that they perform. As long as you are willing to do a little more than hold a steering wheel you can have a great career with BHC.
Pros
management team and compensation
Cons
You will have to unload freight
Do not work for this company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 16, 2017
There isn't enough characters for me to say anything good besides the pay. But if your planning to work at Frederick terminal don't. They work the u know what out you and as for being home everyday you come home shower then bed. Back to work might as well be on the road. Waiting around for a truck every night gets old, slip seating not enough equipment. Loads not ready In aldi 5-6 hrs wait time. Management doesn't have a clue, memos all over break room because they can't talk to drivers. And when u deliver to stores the backroom is a nightmare. Clean out meaning stacks of pallets, bales, carts etc. Is left for the next chump. Alot of brown nosers, snitching and so on. I'm done good luck if you go to this company
Pros
Pay
Nice place
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 12, 2017
Good pay. I learned how to work with others and be a team player. The hardest part of the job was nothing it was all simple. Management was very helpful.
Pros
Pay check always on time
Cons
No over time
Long day.only 2 guys sorting 1200-1500 pieces per day
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
The bhc location based in Houston tx us by far the worst company I've worked for. Do not apply I REPEAT DO NOT appky here if you're looking to be a dock worker.the management is terrible, rude ,cheap and doesn't care about dock workers. There was me and 3 other guys who worked here and 3 of us did all the work without any help and the manager has his favorites so don't expect any raise.worked here for 2 years and stayed at $14 an hour all they gave me was a cup and keyring. I guarantee u that you'll here about laziness, poor management your 2st day
Pros
No pros
Cons
No growth nor raise, poor management and lazy 1st shift lead
Productive and big on safety
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVApril 13, 2017
Black Horse Carriers is a good company to work for you can move up in the company and you can relocate anywhere in the country safety is our priority they have up-to-date equipment and Technology and they willing to listen to your concerns they are like family if you need them they are there for you.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
10 and 15 minute breaks
Professional drivers beware
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Tully, NYApril 5, 2017
Blackhorse tully as a company was good to work for at one time. If you read the reviews it was highly recommended until 1 year ago. New management regime at this terminal is condescending and arrogant. In meetings they say to do everything by dot guidelines and then reprimand you when you do. They make up rules as they go to fit their needs at that moment. If you call in sick and have vacation available they will take your vacation time as they see fit.
New ownership and management has decided that professional drivers are expendable and are just a number even though they can't get drivers that can pass their tight criteria. They switched from very good insurance benefits to benefits that are extremely costly and very slim coverage, if you can find a doctor to accept it. Management will tell you that they have 401k retirement benefits that blackhorse matches up to a certain percentage but the reality is they haven't contributed for several years so you got a low interest savings account that you alone contribute to.
I know Alot of people are going to say "disgruntled employe" but I am being truthful and again I say to all professional drivers beware.
Pros
Decent pay, great customer to work with
Cons
Minimal hometime, cameras in your face at all times, terrible management
Paid good if you work good
Class A Driver, lead driver (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 4, 2017
No complaints here. Worked here 2 yrs and no problems except small communication issues with management but was fixed in a timely manner. If your willing to do the work they will take care of you. If you want to slack they will treat you like a slacker. As it should be. Im not sure how other branches in the region are, but I have no complaints for the one based out of Columbus Ohio.
Pros
Driver of the year bonus, the more you work the more you get paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Horse Carriers, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9