Black Horse Carriers, Inc. Employee Reviews

Bad place to work
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 22, 2018
They don't care about anything but moving freight. Long hours with no support. Truck loaded like badly . O well that's the driver's problem same with every other problem . The cameras in the cab are a joke . Very unsafe . Do not make a mistake ! Or you're fired . Drivers are just a number .
Pros
it's a job
Cons
everything. rotten place to work
Great company
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Pewaukee, WIOctober 10, 2018
Management was will understanding with great pay doing less hours, no hassle with work load with great equipment. home time with no problems and good part time work
Pros
home often great pay
Cons
Work on weekends
Great company Black Horse Carriers
Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 4, 2018
It's a great company to work for, the benefits as far as vacation days and aren't as good, as other companies. They are very orginize when it comes to the task and work that you have to do, I'd say the communication is verry good.
not a good place to work
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Trexlertown, PAOctober 1, 2018
Management was not helpful and made a lot of bad decisions. The pay was really bad they paid me zip to zip with multiple stops in the same locations.
Pros
Cons
everything
Really nice environment
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CASeptember 20, 2018
Everyone will try to help you, if you ask for that , and them equipment is top quality. If you love work at night it’s the best part day work it’s available too.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Drive a different truck every day
The absolute Worst job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LaSeptember 15, 2018
Work extra with no compensation. I run 600 plus miles, 13-14 hr days. Doing this for 5yrs and still haven’t gotten a raise of any sort. work every Saturday, forced dispatch even in dangerous weather. Everyday you go to work based on a phone call. Can’t get days because no one to cover your run. Upper management does not car about you, just the freight moving by any means necessary. Be smart, don’t waste your time... stay away!!!!
Great place to work if you have the right work ethic
Route Driver class A “Hazmat” (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 11, 2018
I have been driving for Blackhorse for 5 plus years now. I am a stand alone driver meaning that another driver transfers my load to me 5 nights a week. It is a graveyard shift which can be a bit of an adjustment for some. But I am home with my family every day. The pay is very competitive... you have the opportunity for quarterly bonuses which is a plus with any company. I am part of the automotive division and delivery to 11 stores nightly. I stand alone... I do my job and go about my day. There is no micro managing, no insane amount of drama... just do the job you are paid to do and have integrity, be honest, and well basically do what you are paid to do and this would be the perfect fit for any driver. With any job there are going to be ups and downs... but you know exactly what you signed up for. Benefits are great, the weekly paychecks are good, there are 7 paid holidays and after 2 years you get 2 weeks vacation... 1 week after a year. The job will give to you what you put into it. I enjoy the company and believe that you will as well, given that you just do your job.
Pros
Management, pay, communication, and overall support
Cons
Graveyard shift
great place
loader (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILSeptember 11, 2018
you can load up any truck you want because they don't want the load to be to hard for you especially when you first start off. less mistakes means less headaches .
Great Place to Work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Center Valley, PASeptember 5, 2018
Black Horse Carriers is a great Place to work and Drive. Management was always helpful and easy to talk to, and the other drivers were great. Pay was more than competitive an the benefits were great too.
Pros
great pay, great people
Black horse is a waste of time
Driver (Current Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJAugust 30, 2018
Wouldn't recommend black horse to anyone. The pay is unfair for the amount of work you do. Good luck getting a day off there. The management doesn't care about the drivers or their lives. They only care about showing up to collect a check. By far one of the worst companies I've worked for so far.
Pros
Weekly minimum pay
Cons
no vacation pay, they take advantage of the driver in any way possible
High stress, limited training, over worked tired employees, unfair routing assignments
Transportation supervisor (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTAugust 14, 2018
Extremely poor upper management from area manager on up. Seems like these good ole boys only walked around getting nothing accomplished when that visited. Family members made part of the upper management after marrying into the ownership's family. Not a healthy environment for job security when things go wrong, they are always looking for someone to blame other than themselves for there poor decisions,
Pros
decent pay
Cons
management and drivers overworked, quick to fire employees, low morale
Horrible
Truck Driver Class (Former Employee) –  Trexlertown, PAAugust 7, 2018
Completely horrible place to work. The manager only cares for him self. The company doesn't support you in anyway. The pay is too low. The benefits are not enough too survive on.
Pros
Cons
There nothing good about this company
It's trucking... New age.... Cameras for your safety sometimes for bs.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Saxonburg, PAJuly 27, 2018
It's a driving job. Plain and simple. It has it's good and bad but show me a place that don't. It's easy, friendly co-workers. Management is fine, sometimes a little inattentive but effective overall. I left here once not by choice but life made me. I came back as soon as I was able to. The moneys good if your an earner. If your lazy stay away... It's not for you. The cameras suck but understandable. I rarely have any camera set offs of any sort. It's slip seating 101....you take what's there... Sometimes you wait but are paid for it. Most of the time you dont wait at all. People who say different are the non earners and complainers... They're everywhere. I've worked here 6 years it's the most I've ever earned(20 years driving) and the easiest labor wise.
Pros
Good$$, new equipment, friendly Co workers
Cons
Night shift stinks, some long hours, cameras
Great company that is rising to the top!
CDL Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Nazareth, PAJuly 2, 2018
i’ve been w the automotive division and coming from foodservice background this is a welcome change of pace! it’s a dedicated route and double drop and hook... DOESNT GET ANY EASIER THAN THIS! They supply you w state of the art equipment and Penske does a fantastic job maintaining the fleet... I know a lot of people complain about every job but as far as trucking companies go in my opinion this is one of the best ones to work for because they don’t really ask much of you other than don’t crash the truck deliver the freight on time and comply with DOT regulations it really doesn’t get any more simple than that . I made the mistake of leaving here last year to take a job that promised me the world and failed to deliver and I left on good terms and the company took me back with open arms and I am so glad that I did so because it was like I never left . they honestly pay pretty good for the kind of work that you do and there is tons of room for advancement in this company if you are willing to do the work . I would definitely recommend anybody with a couple of years experience to come and try this out because you might be surprised at the culture here it is very laid-back and everybody has a clear-cut job to do and if you just do what is expected you have a long and productive career here .
Pros
awesome bosses, great fleet of equipment, decent pay
Cons
can’t really think of any
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 30, 2018
The comoany has not been the same since the Niederts retired and sold the company. The management at the Frederick MD terminal is a joke. Arrogance starts with the area manager and the terminal manager, neither of.which can do the job that is asked of.the drivers. Maybe corporate should take a look and address the high turnover rate of.its driver as well as management in Frederick. There was a great dedicated management team that had an open door policy and would do whatever they needed to to to get the job done but they left the company also.
Pros
Money is good
Cons
Lack of equipment, poor management, work schedule, start times
It's a job
Driver/Lumper (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAJune 29, 2018
Drivers unload the truck by hand on liftgate. Mostly in public storage lockers. Racks on wheels. Easy to turn over. Some places on hills. You'll know when your day is done. The "clics" have it the best. Wouldn't do it again.
Pros
Penske Trucks
Cons
Poor management
Very stressful
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILJune 21, 2018
Black horse will push you to the limit. No mercy! Almost borderline DOT.violation ....money is,decent but culture is bad. Treat drivers like strangers always no matter how long you been there.You can make money if you don't mind being pushed around.They will cut you for one infraction no matter how long of excellent work you done for them .Don't make the slightest mistake other wise you are gone!
Steady work place. Just another number like anywhere else.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2018
I realize now that im no longer employes there how stressful thw work was. Camera in ur face. Write ups for everything. Empty promises. No raises thru out ur time there because of contract. If ur a hard worker they take advantage. If ur lazy u will b left alone.
Pros
Guaranteed pay
Cons
Nights. Late starts because of shipping.
Blackhorse is great
Assistant Terminal Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 17, 2018
Blackhorse Carriers is a great DDS company to work for.

I have learned a lot and enjoyed my time with them .

There inst much room for advancement due to jobs being based off of contracts .

The culture of Blackhorse as a whole is great.
No life with working night shift
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 12, 2018
Nice trucks to operate but working out of Naperville,Illinois Napa location is a joke, have to get there at 830 daily but they never have loads ready to after 10 pm, get paid after 1 hour of Napa delay is also a joke have to fight for the delay time pay, loads are always loaded top heavy unsecured unsafe. lead driver is level headed, but other management is a joke, there on board cameras are a joke another way to spy on there employee.
I would stay far away from this company, no life working such long hours for terrible pay, they promise you a lot but never fulfill promises
only good is the other drivers are friendly
Pros
No 1 bothering you while doing your route
Cons
benefits are terrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Horse Carriers, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.