Blackbaud Employee Reviews

Lack of Management and Direction
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 15, 2019
Having worked through three major departments in Blackbaud I have consistently seen a lack in leadership and drive to push employees to reach their full potential. The "good ole' boy" system is alive and well within their departments and if you don't repeatedly kiss up to someone they won't acknowledge your hard work and cooperation.

If you are looking into a job at Blackbaud, be prepared to play some major politics games to curry favor and gain acceptance of management as they rarely acknowledge hard work and effort.

Now I have had two great managers while in my employee here, however that is shadowed by the 5 other managers, leads, and directors I have directly reported to over the years that were and are poor leadership choices. These individuals might be good at certain aspects of their jobs however people management is clearly not their strong point.
not all bad
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 4, 2019
Seems like a good company. However, be prepared for a typical SaaS environment. Young people using language to be cool instead of accurately. They offer a lot, but a lot comes out of your paycheck. have them actually spell out what you have to do to earn your commission. The whole system doesn't work well together.
Pros
campus is nice
Cons
the left doesn't know what the right is doing
10 Years Experience at Blackbaud
Customer Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 2, 2019
It is a very employee friendly company. Management is great to work with and work for. I enjoyed my time immensely. Once working there the company's sole focus is helping you to enhance your professional experience.
Pros
Prodigious time off, employee friendly
Cons
Nothign comes to mind
Average place to work
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 15, 2019
it's OK, good starting benefits, top management is a little flaky, but I've seen much worse.
Don't let the enon profit thing fool you, it's just another company writing business software
Pros
good pay
Cons
on call 24/7
care about the employees
Software Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 30, 2019
I actually worked for Master Software which was bought out by Blackbaud many years ago. Blackbaud was very fair to the Master Software employees during the buyout.
Pros
care about employees
Great coworkers, but terrible executive leaders
Corporate Marketing (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 28, 2019
Coworkers were amazing people, and hard workers. However, anyone in management did not care the "real" data. They only want manipulated data to show their managers to make them look good. They are always restructuring, and do layoffs every Jan/Feb because poor business decision making. Pay for work is much lower than industry standards, and certainly not enough in this area.
Pros
La Croix, and snacks in break room, free cold brew
Cons
awful management, no career advancement oppourtunities
Fast paced
Conversion Analyst (Former Employee) –  RemoteDecember 19, 2018
I enjoyed the work I did. Although, I rarely worked a normal 40 hour work week. I was constantly juggling multiple projects with different customers and dealing with demanding deadlines.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Fast paced
A Company In Trouble
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 17, 2018
Think long and hard before you join this company. You will enjoy the interview process and that will be the very last time you will be happy. The positive reviews you read are written by Human Resources. The company creates a culture of fear. You are measured on analytics alone. Existing Clients are furious and leaving at a fast pace due to poor customer service, lack of functionality and outrageous pricing. It is close to impossible to bring new clients on due to skilled competition, outrageous pricing and lack of go-to-market strategy. Management does NOT want your opinion. Do your research, a quick Google search on Blackbaud stock and breakdowns during Giving Tuesday is a good start. One of the most disgusting places I have ever worked.
Pros
You will meet some wonderful people, who are also treated poorly.
Cons
Where should I start.
Best Kept Secret
Sr. Manager, Demand Generation (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 11, 2018

Fantastic leadership @ multiple levels.

A sense of team - as stated in its mission.

Associates believe the company can change the world. And they just might.
Cons
Must live in Charleston, SC to have career advancement.
Nice Place for a Career
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 6, 2018
I interned at Blackbaud and am looking to get hired back. The office culture was great and everyone I talked to was very nice. Everyone was always willing to answer my questions.
Excellent coworkers but lack of actionable change for a brighter future
Technical Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 8, 2018
I love the people I work with the culture that is fostered at Blackbaud. It maintains a solid sense of giving back through volunteerism and other activities.
However, I lose confidence in our executive leadership each and every year. It gets tougher to do my job and I noticed morale trend at a downward rate over the past three years.
Pros
Solid people, great culture
Cons
Red tape working with departments, lack of real product development based on feedback
Blackbaud
Contract Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 17, 2018
Great company to work for. Good compensation and benefits, four weeks paid time off every year, management very good. Company culture definitely nice as well.
Great people i worked with
Service Delivery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 29, 2018
People i worked with in the office were fantastic and and friendly and we always were there to help each other. Most of the company telecommutes but were friendly during phone calls and webex. Blackbaud was extremely fast paced, you had to pull your own weight and work extra when needed to keep the fresh data loading in the databases and be there for all clients needs and requests.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Fly by the seat of your pants environment
Not accurate
Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCAugust 20, 2018
Given the time that I was there I am not able to provide any current information regarding their benefits, mission and culture.
I do know that if I had the opportunity to work for them again I would welcome that chance.
Declining morale
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 27, 2018
Too many changes since the beginning of the year... changes in territories, comp plans, sales strategy, etc. Too many changes at once or repeatedly making changes make it difficult for people to find success.
benefits
Cons
too many changes in short period of time
Later
Sr Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
I am not going to provide such detail about my current employeer. Blackbaud is a great place to work, and my Cyber Security Team here is the best I have ever worked with.
I didn't work at Blackbaud, I took computer courses
Student (Former Employee) –  StudentMay 9, 2018
This is business school in North Charleston, SC where I took computer classes. It was very thorough and professional environment. Classes are point specific.
Sweatshop Support
Enterprise Solutions Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2018
When Blackbaud took over Convio, conditions changed from a stressful but enjoyable environment to a needlessly stressful and low morale environment. More emphasis on bottom line than employee input. Poor decisions made by upper management. Where work talent was once nurtured, it began to be driven away with several of the best developers leaving because of conditions.
Flashy but lacks depth
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 2, 2018
The company has undergone a lot of change in the last few years. I appreciate what the CEO has done: upgraded facilities, improved technology, improved corporate communications. I've found that it is a mess in the trenches though. Departments are completely independent of each other and don't work together nor have any interest in working together. Most have a "not my job" attitude.
Management promises transparency but delivers closed door meetings and doesn't communicate changes until after they've already been made. There is no career development help or any interest shown in developing the skills of new employees. You're on your own and might as well leave for another company since loyalty doesn't get seem to get you anywhere. Come to Blackbaud if you want to coast and not learn new skills or develop yourself.
Pros
Pto, facility, friendly atmosphere
Cons
management, communication, career development
Fairly laid back and flexible, but stressful, misleading and unorganized
Senior Interactive Designer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 27, 2018
The work atmosphere and office experience is very laid back, easy going and flexible which is nice. The benefits are great. But the organization of work and level of communication from higher up management is sometimes misleading, lacking, and relatively poor. That lead to a very stressful job experience.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Unorganized, Poor Management, Poor Communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackbaud. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight