BlackBerry Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Toxic and constricting organization
Senior Technical Solutions Manager (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 8, 2018
BlackBerry continues it's slow, but inevitable, decline. The work environment is extremely toxic - long work hours, micro-management, inadequate and inexperienced senior leadership, and no work-life balance. The Blame Game is strong here, especially in Sales.

Its a good place to work for 1-2 years if you plan to move on. The company is not a place I would choose to work without having a backup plan. Corporate leadership has no regard for employees as people - at BlackBerry, employees are treated like products; they are discarded without thought when profit numbers need to be propped up. We have been watching employee number shrink for the last three years, and the sales and stock price indicate that isn't going to slow anytime soon.
Pros
Matching 401K to 6%, Possibility of remote work. Good healthcare plans.
Cons
Too many to list.
Quick-paced job with lots of customer interaction!
Senior Customer Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJuly 21, 2018
Provided training on the Blackberry-AtHoc mass-alerting system to customers world-wide. The job includes a lot of travel to meet on-site customers, but also provides a chance to work from home and provide online (webinar) training.
The hardest part of the job for some is lack of direct supervision; once certified, you are working alone for the most part, as a remote employee. You are responsible for your success. This also made it one of the most enjoyable parts of the job, being self-sufficient, and making customers successful.
Pros
Self-direction, no micro-management, good pay.
Cons
Lack of team dynamics, feeling isolated on occasion.
The restructured and failed the customer
Exchange/Lotus Domino Server Associate - BCTS (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 23, 2018
That's the nicest way I can say they were still charging their elite customers very high support contracts but to cut costs changed the support to minimal but still at the high prices and support the customer had come come to expect.
Pros
10 hour work days
Cons
bad decisions by management and bad management
Outsourced
Specialist, BES (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 18, 2018
company closed its doors in Irving, Tx with no warning just arrive to work and doors are locked with a note stating this location is no longer open you will be notified about layoff.
Internship at Blackberry
Blackberry Core Applications Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMay 2, 2018
I interned at Blackberry for a fall internship and was able to work on some of their Blackberry OS applications. Good company, smart people and good work culture.
Blackberry
Senior Baseband Engineer/Architect (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 1, 2018
Enjoyed working there except for management and lack of recognition. Staff were easy to work with and employees well cared for. Lots of security in place.
Good company overall
Senior Wireless System Architect (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLMarch 26, 2018
Excellent company to work for when sales where good. My manager was an excellent so was the plant manager. Great salary and bonuses, medical insurance was very good.
Pros
good pay, great people to work with
Cons
company went belly up
Great to be part BlackBerry
Sr. Field Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJFebruary 20, 2018
The experience was great. I miss every part of working there. Great managers and smart and inteligent individuals to work with. Always a learning experience there with diverse work culture too. Great work ethics and team work.
Amaing expereince!
Field Test Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 12, 2018
Job with BB was my first jpob ever so it taught me a lot.
I learnt everything there, professionalism, culture etc. My manager was great, compnay was great. got good discounts on phones!
Overall, it is what made me today!
this company is crashing.
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLJanuary 25, 2018
the software is so buggy and out of date that even the developers can't fix it as no one understands the old code and are afraid to touch it because it will all collapse like a house of cards.
Great company but that was 8 years ago....
Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2018
Worked from home. Management let you do your thing for sales teams. Couldn't sell anything as the Blackberry brand was going downhill and losing market share to Apple, but that was in 2010.
Missed Opportunity
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILJanuary 16, 2018
BlackBerry missed moving with the Android OS trend, the availability of having applications to use on their phones killed the BlackBerry phones - similar to Nokia and Motorola.
Pros
Good compensation, interesting design
Cons
Poor Strategic Planning
Great people in the US office, but all of management in Canada
University Programs Campus Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 8, 2018
BlackBerry US was a great place to work. The people in the US were amazing, I really enjoyed working there until I had to leave due to work/life balance. There were no management or advancement options unless you relocated to Canada. When they laid off 500 people in the Irving office it became a very different place to work. Amazing health benefits, terrible maternity leave when I was there in 2011, it could have changed by now.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
no career advancement
Time at Blackberry
Technical trainer & Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, Canada base and all of USDecember 21, 2017
Working for Blackberry was wonderful. I traveled to company centers weekly and they always provided great accomendation no matter where I stayed. Because a lot of their business was in Canada, it was a very cold winter assignment but always pleasureable
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Customized problems that differed weekly
Very draining job with no self reward.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 14, 2017
I would handle all of the phone parts for the assemblers to replace/refurbish old cell phones. I had control over the parts and delivered them to assemblers and transferred via computer. Management was always stressed out more than anybody in the building therefore taking some of that out on us when we would be doing out jobs right and meeting quotas. I did like working from 5-6am and being off by 2-3pm and having the rest of the day to enjoy.
Pros
Breaks and an hour for lunch. Somewhat dealing with technology
Cons
During slow days we had to do a lot of manual labor.

Comment – November 16, 2017

The most positive thing I took from this job was training to drive a stand-up forklift!

Terrible
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 5, 2017
Everything about the company is terrible. Buyer beware.

As a National Account Manager, I expanded the product portfolio of Blackberry clients. With the growing demand for Mobile Device Management (MDM) and IOT, my responsibility shifted to growing and expanding business to non-Blackberry corporations with a mix of BYOD and COPE device users with Blackberry’s proprietary MDM solution.
Great company-great leadership
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2017
It was the best work experience of my entire career. Management allowed me to be creatives, they embrace new ideas and showed a respect for our customers and their employees. Unfortunately, the brand was not able to compete with Apple.
Pros
Very Innovative- Embraced Ideas
Cons
Located in Waterloo, On
You cant be a competitive Hi-Tech Software company and run like a broken watch
Not Applicable (Current Employee) –  CAOctober 26, 2017
First, there are a lot of great managers and ic's who are smart and capable. There are some really cool products in the portfolio and some dogs which seem to have 9 lives or more. The disadvantage of working here is decisions are made at the SLT level and objectivity to suggestions for change are seldom received with any degree of actionable plans. You have to ask yourself why does a company which really lost a great opportunity in the mobile space, try and re-invent itself using the same outdated ways of running a business. Its a shame because there are a lot of good ideas floating around the different BU's but nobody wants to listen. Some of the processes followed everyday, generate tons of unnecessary work and labor. It is a hard place to work and there is nothing accomplished with any ease or agility.
Pros
Some really good people at the lower mgt and IC level
Cons
Cluture inconsistent with silicon valley high tech, poor incentive pay, processes across the board not streamlined to be effective
No longer relevant
Director Product Management (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAOctober 22, 2017
I worked @ RIM in the Heyday when everyone was using Blackberry devices. Nowadays the company is just a shadow of its former self. This company had so much potential but leadership completely miss-understood who their real customers were and what they wanted
Pros
young company
Cons
inexperienced and divided management
Fun temporary job
RIM Department Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2017
The work was fast paced, the people were friendly. You had to work early hours, but it was nice getting off work at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Plus, the managers were friendly and helpful. Overall great job.
Pros
fast paced, friendly environment
Cons
repetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlackBerry. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight