Blackboard Inc. Employee Reviews

Services Solution Sales Executive
Education Services Executive (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 27, 2018
The company and pay is great. The only thing lacking in the Raleigh office is a cohesive culture. It is a Support hub, so Sales reps can often feel isolated. Another related issue was my manager always being located in another state and being "too hands-off."

Would have enjoyed more of a team culture, more coaching, and more collaboration.

Overall though, if you can work remotely and do not mind having coworkers spread around the country, this is a great place with great pay, benefits, and work/life balance.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Isolated in Raleigh Office, Lack of Collaboration, Lack of Job Security in Sales Roles
Not a good job
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 7, 2018
The training you get is not what you excpect when you get on calls. I only got trained 5 days, when i was told 2-3 weeks. If you we’re not there when the started Blackboard then you did not get enough training. My supervisor was in my training class with me, she barely knew anything. I always had to raise my hand for help on anything because training was not good. I got laid off because i was doing something wrong and they wanted to tell me the day of when i’m getting fired on what i did wrong instead of letting me fix it. A BUNCH OF CRIMINALS WORK THERE ALSO.
Pros
11.00 an hour pay
Cons
Unconventional benefits, some poisonous elements
Enrollment Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 16, 2018
I worked in enrollment support. The unconventional benefits were as follows: if all of the day;s work was completed you were allowed to either leave for the day (no pay for hours not worked but not penalized for absence) or allowed to stay at your desk and read or browse the internet, paid, for the rest of your shift. I got paid to read several books while working there! There was also somewhat irregular overtime opportunity.
If you work in a different area you will have a different experience. The coaches for various schools were always complaining about the impossibly high goals regarding engagement, call time, et cetera. Financial aid was the red-headed stepchild of the company; everyone hated them for what seemed like no reason, and those employees knew they were viewed unfavorably and responded as you might expect.
Upward mobility felt stymied; there was often a lot of muttering about favoritism.
Raises are almost unheard of, so people do not look at this as a long-term gig, and the company constantly suffers from lack of experience in the ranks as a result.
It completely depends on your team and manager
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 6, 2018
While the pay was fine and remote flexibilty a good option, it's a completely unstable company. Constant - and i mean almost monthly - management changes. With those leaving, whoever kisses up the most, gets put in charge "interim" eventually staying in the position. And as a few mentioned the layoffs. They are so consistant, every year around the holidays for the sales teams and beginning-ish of the year for central non-sales teams. 2018 was a massacre, I believe there was a total of 3 or 4 rounds. Just FYI these layoffs are how they fudge their numbers to look profitable - when you bring in a CEO that came from the investors, why wouldn't you use the insider info?

If you're planning to have some kind of stability, just don't join. They're benefits keep dwindling - current healthplan option is only a HDHP, they don't contribute to HSA.

The only pro i will say is your experience will vary drastically by your manager. I had 2 wonderful managers and 2 completely horrendous incompetent ones.
Pros
not there anymore
Cons
turnover, instability, product is barely selling, ask their dropped clients - product breaks, students hate it
Good Experience
Enrollment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 17, 2018
Grateful for the opportunities that Blackboard has afforded me to collaborate and get back in to an higher education environment. Enjoyed the people I've had the opportunity to work with.
Pros
Networking opportunities
Cons
Salary and Benefits
Too much budget-cutting
Data Integration Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 6, 2018
Working for a technology company usually means good variety in the job, and Blackboard is no different. However, lately, the company has been trying to slash budgets everywhere possible, reducing benefits, laying off some employees and driving others to seek other employment, while not filling any vacated positions and underpaying those that remain.
Pros
Varied work, good management structure for individual teams.
Cons
Poor upper management, different divisions don't communicate well, salaries below market rate.
Great Benefits and Flexibility, Lacks Stability
Senior Customer Success Advocate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2018
Blackboard is overall an above average company to work for. Most people work from home, which allow flexible hours. Pay was pretty decent, with good benefits and a large amount of days off. However, management often changed, which affected the initiatives and the ability to fix some wrongs. I had 6 bosses in 4 years. There were also 3 to 4 rounds of layoffs. Onboarding training was also poor.

The culture was good, as people in the company were helpful, courteous, and friendly. It wasn't overly stressful either. There is a slight expectation to work while off, but mostly by management, and only slight. Really up to the individual.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits, vacation, coworkers
Cons
Onboarding, lack of stability
Bad Strategic Decisions
Senior Data Analytics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2018
Sadly the senior management has no higher education experience. This has caused several bad strategic product development decisions. It has meant resources have been focused on product development that was not what the market dictated and things the market did desire were never recognized. This has caused clients to move away from BB to competitors and for BB to rush to market with incomplete products in a rush to catch up.

In addition, the desire of the holding company to sell Blackboard has put pressure to boost profits without looking to correct issues in areas like support and development.

Once the company is sold this culture may change but until then the focus is clear on selling and not on client success.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Senior Leadership focued on selling the company vs client success
Summary
Client Support Representative III (Current Employee) –  State College, PAJune 28, 2018
No advancement opportunities available and duties change often. The work environment is great and everyone is friendly. Constantly learning something new.
Pros
Cons
small yearly raises
Decent paying job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 23, 2018
I enjoyed working at blackboard. I primarily did Financial Aid and the school Arizona State University which was at that time one of the most consistent and bigger clients. I assisted with students and also faculty in their employment benefits. We were skilled to assist with Financial Aid and also Human Resources questions. I did enjoy this but after awhile it became overwhelming to be constantly dedicated to only one school when there were others we were trained on as well.
Summary
CSR for IT help desk (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYJune 15, 2018
This is an okay place to work.
Its pretty good pay for the area.
Fairly peaceful place to work.
Good staff.
Great supervisors.
Decent Benefits.
Overall decent place
Run
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYJuly 18, 2018
Honestly, if you are desperate, have a criminal record, don't care about being treated like a number and have no intentions of providing yourself a decent living in the future or care about whether you'll have a job that day, that week or that month. This is the place for you. I've been here almost 3 years and have worked at several call centers before that were FAR superior than this. From the benefits being laughable, management not having any idea what's going on daily to the life/work balance. Overtime is appreciated like anywhere else but the problem that they have is that you can go one week where they will cut your hours by 8-10 hours a week, to the next week you're obligated to half hour lunches and you get hammered about working additional OT to the point where you feel obligated to. The pay is a mess in the sense that they moved from a program called Pay differential which looked and sounded like a raise, but in reality it's taxed almost as if it's a bonus so it doesn't really get considered as actual pay and, you could lose it at the end of every quarter. The new system is a more standardized system, but as others have complained, you have some workers who've worked there for several years making the base pay of 11/HR to 11.50/HR and others who worked only a few months making 12-13/HR. Depending on what department you work in, your day consists of, waiting 10-15 minutes for their outdated systems to load (oh, did I mention that if you get here on time, but your system takes 15-20 minutes to load, that it's YOUR fault that YOU didn't make sure to show up an hour before  more... work? Yeah...right.), clock in, immediately get a call from either an absolutely incompetent instructor or student and getting yelled at for an issue that's not of your control, and eventually ending your day. That's basically the daily routine. The benefits are as I stated before, a joke. You get health insurance, but only after a year of working there, and they're not the most consumer friendly rates. You do get a 401K, but only if you're a salaried member of management, so basically as an lower employee you can't invest into the company at all.  less
Pros
Pay, sometimes
Cons
Longer list than a pickup has miles.
Would not recommend
Student Financial Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 9, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone. They are all about themselves with no focus on the employee or the client. Training classes are far too short for learning what you need to know and they are not flexible in terms of the wages.
Pros
None Really
Cons
pay, benefits, stress level... unacceptable
Terrible place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 10, 2018
We were trained for 4 days, then released on the floor to accept calls. Clearly, most people didn't know what they were doing because we were trained very, VERY poorly. If we didnt know an answer to a question and had to ask a supervisor they were always so rude and acted like we should've known the answer from our training. After me and multiple people around me told some of the supervisors that we didn't know what we were doing and we needed more training, they acted like they were going to do something about it and never did. If for some reason you have to miss even an hour of work, they act like it's the end of the world and make it a very big deal. This place is just a terrible place to work and is most definitely not for everyone.
Pros
1 hour lunches sometimes.
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 14, 2019
If the Job Security was better it would be a nice place to work but its not nice coming to work and not knowing if you will have a job the next day due to them having you work half your shift and then they tell you that you can no longer work there but they want me to reapply and come back I haven't due to I need a job I know I will have everyday .
Good ideas, bad direction
Tier 1 Technical Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 17, 2018
Blackboard has become the Microsoft of the education software industry. Unfortunately, over the past ~5 years, the management and ability to retain quality personnel, especially in the lower Support tiers, has significantly diminished. Part of the issue in the lower tiers is that you are promoted and treated based upon how much a person sucks up to management, instead of their skills and performance.
Pros
Potential to work from home on a permanent basis.
Cons
Too much petty office politics and lack of desire from management to help you succeed.
Decent workplace for certain types of people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Somerset, KYSeptember 23, 2018
I’m fresh out of high school and wanted a better paying job than the one that I had. Blackboard was the highest paying job in my area for my age. If that was not the case, then I would have quit after 3 weeks or less. While it is slow, the job isn’t bad at all. They aren’t super strict about cellphones, activities on the desktops, eating on the floor. But, when you all are getting slammed with back-to-back-to-back calls for weeks, it is the opposite of heaven (I can’t say the word on this site). Not to mention, they cut your hour lunch in half, push overtime until you feel obligated to do it and it feels like you have no life outside of your job, and you’re dealing with rude customers who have been on hold for 30 minutes or more. The job is mentally exhausting during rush. And when it’s not rush, you never know how long you will keep your job. Only work there if you have to, it made me miss my fast food job where I made 8.50 an hour.
Pros
When it’s slow, it isn’t bad
Cons
Mentally exhausting, Not very good pay for most people
Terrible communication. Employees dont get paid!!!
cust service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 24, 2018
Horrible culture. Sometimes employees don't get paid. Ask anyone who worked there. There is always a "mixup" or something. Ask people, they will tell you. Condescending management, no PTO, lack of communication, terrible place. Ask ANYONE who has worked here about the pay and no PTO.
Cons
no PTO, always an issue with your paycheck
Hard job for small pay
Financial Advisor Student Services (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 7, 2018
First, I will start by saying the hiring process was misleading. It was a temp to hire position when I started but the interview never mentioned that. Luckily, this position wasn't permanent for me as I had always intended on relocating and pretty much my entire training class quit after getting on the call floor, if not for these factors I don't know if I would still be employed which would have been devastating considering I quit another permanent full time position for this "job".. You get no paid time off, benefits I heard are not worth the bother based on high deductibles. They will not work with you during emergencies, but rather work you like a slave, especially during times of where the center is understaffed. Lunches get cut at short notice for example but if you come in after a certain its not. Fairness is a topic not worth discussing, however the training was not efficient as to we were thrown into the job extremely unprepared. There was unprofessional conduct during the ENTIRE training class that was a prelude to the horror waiting to come. The Quality Assurance team I found to be sketchy to say the least.
Part2- PAY AND WORK CULTURE
The pay is extremely low for such a high paced, intense data entry job, My manager does nothing and never wants to be involved in anything ans was even quoted as saying" I'm trying to stay away from the calls" Although he is a call center supervisor. How disturbing and iroric, which is why I dont recommend this company. I could go on but its not worth my time. Its served the temporary purpose for my needs at the time.
Pros
great career advancement
Cons
company has horrible incentives to keep employees around
Great Company
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 4, 2018
I love working for Blackboard! The pay is decent and the management is beyond awesome! Everyone is super understanding and nice. I would recommend this job to anyone who is over 18, can work a computer and type, and can show empathy to students. That is it! Great.
Pros
Pay, Management, Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackboard Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss