Blackhawk Network Employee Reviews

Was a good place to intern
Internship (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAMarch 19, 2018
I had an internship here and it was more of a shadow internship as they did not have a built internship program. It was a good start to have real world work experience.
Great team, great employer
Sr. Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 6, 2018
I really don't have anything bad to say about Blackhawk Network. They might be a little too big, but I love my office, the people I work with, and I know that what I'm working on will be valued.
Unusually bad for a field merchandiser job
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOFebruary 17, 2018
Grocery store employees resented my efforts to set the prepaid cards tomplanogram. They'd call my supervisor to complain. Often stores like Circle K would not have needed supplies or backstock
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Dealing with riff raf store personnel
Na
ENGINEERING LEAD (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 2, 2018
It is a good company to work for in the east bay. new technologies and fast paced culture. does not have too many employees or large scale projects. Good for 3 years
Wonderful place to work. Very organized and professional.
Representative (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 29, 2018
They are a wonderful company to work for. There is support from management on all levels. I would highly recommend working for this group. The companies work standards are very high.
great environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 27, 2018
management was great, everyone was helpful if you didn't know how to complete a task there was always someone available to help you complete it, several options for break locations
Pros
great management
Cons
it was kind of far from my home
good place to work
Field Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 26, 2018
flexible job and I like the boss i work with. the pay is decent but the pay increases could be better yearly. I work from home so I do not really see anyone else but I like that.
Lots of career advancement opportunities.
Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 19, 2018
There are several career advancement opportunities.
Free lunches are occasionally provided.
There is a regular classroom-type knowledge sharing session.
Fast Pace
Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 17, 2018
A very busy and fast pace company who is constantly making changes with staffing.
The hardest part of the job is watching good management leave, especially when they are a huge part of making the company grow.
Pros
Management that are left are great.
Cons
Pay is low.
To be very honest...
Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 9, 2018
There is no typical day. The communication between the corporate office of Blackhawk and the retail establishment is horrible or close to none. At store level, no one cares who you are or what you do. There is no rhyme or reason for the inventory control. The supermarket chains go to their own beat. If there are holes it's fine and you can not fix it or try to make any sense. Some stores just trash the product, others just don't care. I found this very pitiful and frustrating.The organization itself has to be reorganized. Territories are not mapped out or logical.
The hardest part of the job is massive disorganization. Simply stated, I figure the product itself has no monetary value therefore, receives no attention. The try to micro manage but are not successful

This is high on my least favorite job list.

This may not make sense to anyone but if you are an employee that
is conscientious and cares about doing a good job this is the wrong stop!
Pros
get paid on time
Cons
micro manage, disorganized, GPS on employee every minute...sign in sign out, pictures of everything that make no sense, disorganized

Want to know more about Blackhawk Network?

Ask a question
Overly stressed workplace
Sr. Security Engineer--SIEM (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 5, 2018
The IT work-space was very stressed, due to understaffed departments. The staff were great, but underpaid and overworked. Too many projects and not enough clear direction was the rule of the day, as BN expanded too quickly for their understanding of compliance and security. (Going from supermarket chain mindsets, when BN was spun off from Safeway, to creating, maintaining, and securing a huge credit-card banking/financial house, is a HUGE leap.)
Pros
Challenging assignments
Cons
Too few resources.
Great Part-Time Flexible job
Retail Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 10, 2017
I enjoyed working at this company. I am currently looking for a new jobs with better pay and more flexibility. I want to work 10-20 hours per week. This was possible when I first started working for the company. Now I am continually working 25 hours per week. When given these hours, the job becomes less flexible. The company wants you to front load your week. If there is a short week due to a holiday, it makes it tough to get the calls finished in 3 days.
Pros
flexible, independent
Cons
low pay
A solid place to work
Senior Finance Manager (Corp Development & IR) (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CADecember 5, 2017
If compensation, bonus and equity grants are not a high priority BHN is a decent place to work. Overall there are great people who work there, very collaborative face pace environment.
Pros
Opportunities to move around
Cons
Compensation and Benefits lacking
Lots to learn, competitive, fast-paced, poor management and leadership.
Sr. Dev Manager and Architect / Technology Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 4, 2017
Lack of direction and vision in general about many products and platforms. Decisions are made quick with not enough planning leading to scrambling to support customers with limited resources or talents. Less appetite for investing in good technology, good long-term solutions, and retaining good employees. Cost cutting approach and skimping on important makes delivery tough at times. But good/industry standard benefits good bonus (if targets are achieved) and liberty to learn new technologies and methodologies.
Best Company I have Worked For
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaDecember 2, 2017
I have been a merchandiser for over 20 years and this has been one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The hours are flexible and the pay is good for the industry. The give annual pay increases and you have an opportunity to win gift cards.

They pay a car allowance with is rare in this industry.

You are able to make your own hours during the week.

Management is always available to answer any question you might have at any time on a project. They give you detailed instructions with each job and leave little to chance.
Pros
Management is Great - pay good - great communication
I love this place
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CA 94588November 17, 2017
It is a very friendly place with a great sense of pride in the work performed. I want to come to work.. and enjoy the opportunity to work from home as well.. this place is great!
Pros
Everything here is great
Cons
I can't find any
call center agent
BHN/BES call center agent (Current Employee) –  Reno, NV 89521October 26, 2017
answer calls on discount program thru Verizon do email, chats , assist with training new agents. get points to buy products on site, open door policy with supervisor
Pros
work iincentives with points
Cons
1/2 hr lunch, 10 min personal time
Great people to work with
Corporate Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAOctober 4, 2017
Always kept me busy and involved me in a variety of projects and meetings. Truly cared about me getting something out of the internship as well, which I thought was really great.
Seriously lacking
Employee (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 3, 2017
Raises are non existent
Management is not trained or helped
The company continually asks for your opinion and does not do anything about the issues. It is very frustrating.
Good work culture
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 2, 2017
Blackhawk has a great workplace culture that promotes a healthy separation of work and personal time.
The company taught me a lot about Microsoft suite products and about the gift card industry.
I highly enjoyed the people and team members I worked with as well.
Pros
Company events were fun
Cons
Pay could be better

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackhawk Network. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight