Blackhawk Network Employee Reviews

Avoid this place
Senior Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 16, 2018
Blackhawk has horrible work life balance - poor management - no raises and no chances for advancement. Management is rude and does not care for employees. Very little compensation for mileage.
Declining company with decreasing moral
Data Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJanuary 10, 2019
Company is losing sight of true values. Losing 2-3 employees a month and not filling positions. Local senior leadership is made up of tenured employees who some are incapable of leading a team. Corporate is out of touch with satellite offices as most companies are. IT was notified that their jobs were being outsourced January 2019. Account Specialist we’re doing the same job as Account Managers with Account Specialist pay. Moral is low as employees are seeing leadership team fail and benefits slowly decrease. Health benefits are now from a self funded plan that causes headaches and issues when using them.
Pros
Covered parking, free vending machine and fruit (while supply last)
Cons
Self funded healthcare plan, low moral, outsourcing jobs
Commission & Contracts Analyst
Contracts and Commission Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 29, 2018
Blackhawk Network is the leader in Gift Card processing, I manage the United Sates Core Business, balancing the daily request requires the need to prioritize and deliver the needs of the company. New contract and amendment review for new billing and new payables and submitting tickets to the settlement team. Filling requests for commission schedule and ensuring all the reports and data are correct. Attending meetings when there are new product launches and answering question at random for rates etc.
Management is very busy working on other matters, so I am self-managed.
Hardest part of the job is nothing...
Enjoyable part is seeing the numbers at the end of each period.
Pros
no micromanagement
Cons
recently acquired
Family setting with a company kickball and softball team
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2018
Everyone has a smile on their face happy to be able to help customer with information about submitting information management is always hands on and happy to help when needed breaks are every 2 hours from start time. The hardest part is making sure that you meet all of your metrics seeing that you have put a smile on your customer face by the end of your call.
Pros
company bbq on site baseball tickets to see Reno Aces
Cons
Higher pay rate
Jobs being sent to El Salvador
Accounts Payable Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 17, 2018
Was a nice place, but the owners wanted more money for themselves. They are sending work out of the country. Accounts Payable went to non English speaking workers in El Salvador. Desktop IT jobs were sent to India.
If you like working wondering each day if your job is next, it might be an ok place to work. If you want stability and longevity, look elsewhere.
Pros
Nice colleagues, company events
Cons
Clueless upper management
Great Place! Until I was outsourced
Remote IT Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 9, 2018
I enjoyed working working at BHN at their service desk, until their entire IT support arm was unceremonously outsourced to India. The management was uneven (my supervisor was excellent, knowledgeable and helpful, my manager was useless). The company seems to be trending towards outsourcing, so while the job isn't bad, keep that in mind.
Pros
Solid coworkers
Cons
Oursourcing
Best place I ever worked. Didn't last.
Intern Contractor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 11, 2018
The branch of the company I was brought onto was the best place I ever worked.

Everybody was laid-back and friendly and encouraging. Management and leads put an immense amount of trust into us. So long as we got our work done in a timely fashion, the methodology behind how we got there was irrelevant. We were welcome to take reasonable breaks and breaths of fresh air.

It seemed they truly believed that happy employees were productive employees and we responded in kind with our best work.

Sadly, there were numerous technical difficulties surrounding our projects and our IT infrastructure, which meant that productivity frequently screeched to a halt on a weekly if not daily basis.
Pros
Free weekly lunch, encouragement to take breaks
Cons
meetings occasionally ran too long, frequent faults in IT infrastructure
Great employee moral
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 12, 2018
Fun Environment, just poor advancement within the company. Great games and food and prizes and bbq's. Set times not enough pay a lot of dead time. Not enough vacation time.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no pay raise
Political Stress
Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 17, 2018
There is a lot of political stress, however work is challenging. Management uses negative motivation to get the work done. There is a lack of corrective measures to remedy a situation that the management knows is not right. There is no meritocracy.
Pros
Free Fruits and Snacks
Cons
no meritocracy
Na
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 1, 2018
great place to work but did not make enough money to pay rent or heath insurance. you just cant pay you bill if you work there but every where in reno is that way
Imminent layoffs after acquisition..
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CANovember 8, 2018
If I were you I'd look elsewhere.. the IT team has been informed they are no longer needed. Imminent layoff in January (and this is the first round)..
Pros
none anymore
Cons
everything..
Reasonably light work with adequate time and expectations
Field Representative (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CASeptember 22, 2017
A great work environment. All managers i have had are super helpful, always available for questions. Weekly conference calls provide info and updates for current projects. Truly the respect and appreciation for all employees comes from the top all the way down to the field reps.
Pros
Flexible schedule, encouraging environment, company recognition for work accomplishments. Annual raises.
Cons
No full time employment outside of management
workplace culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  United StatesNovember 6, 2018
Nothing to write home about. Good exposure to new open source technologies, as the company tried many new tools all the time and save on license expense. Pay is reasonable.
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
Uncertain future
Cardpool Inc
Customer Service Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 10, 2018
Cardpool is a company which buys and sells gift cards which people have no use for. The role at the Reno facility is one of risk managment. This is a very low stress possition which requires basic computer input skills.
Customer Service Agent
Customer Service Agent I (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVAugust 21, 2016
The company tries to focus on team building exercises in the interview and in the training sessions but there is far too much office politics for my liking. They said there was room for advancement in the company in the interview and when I actually got on the floor I was told that this was not the case by my fellow agents. My direct lead was great and my team was awesome but the supervisors and managers for the most part would say one thing and do another. The job functions are easy to learn if you try hard. Many members of different shift teams did not. Poor customer service was not addressed and the QA focus was on call time. A certain supervisor would blatantly pick on/harrass one team member and it was never addressed by upper management.
Pros
Great benefits, two paid 15 min breaks and an unpaid 30 min lunch, 8.50 hr work day.
Cons
Office Politics, unequal treatment.
Company where growth happens only after ages
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJuly 9, 2018
Not a good company to work for if you want to grow. Very slow. Even if you do work, they will say we cannot give you growth as we do not have budget. So If you want to grow big, then this is not the cpmpany
Productive and stressful at times
Call Center (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAAugust 4, 2018
A typical day at Cardpool.com is processing incoming and outgoing orders. Trouble shooting external equipment. Answering various Kisk support questions and addressing concerns and creating service tickets.
Pros
Free snacks
Cons
Pay
Organizational leadership
Sr Manager, IT Asset Management (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CA 94588July 25, 2018
Leadership empowered and enabled teams to develop and deliver improvements and solutions. Creative thinking was encouraged. Team building events planned throughout each quarter.
Best Company I have Worked For
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaDecember 2, 2017
I have been a merchandiser for over 20 years and this has been one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The hours are flexible and the pay is good for the industry. The give annual pay increases and you have an opportunity to win gift cards.

They pay a car allowance with is rare in this industry.

You are able to make your own hours during the week.

Management is always available to answer any question you might have at any time on a project. They give you detailed instructions with each job and leave little to chance.
Pros
Management is Great - pay good - great communication
Seriously lacking
Employee (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 3, 2017
Raises are non existent
Management is not trained or helped
The company continually asks for your opinion and does not do anything about the issues. It is very frustrating.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackhawk Network. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight