Blackhawk Technical College Employee Reviews

Great to place to work
Law Enforcement Academy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJanuary 3, 2019
It's a fun, relaxed and easy going environment. As a part time employee, I look forward to my hours and interacting with the staff. The students learn to love the school very quickly.
Great place to learn and work.
Work study/CNC shop assistant (Current Employee) –  Milton, WIOctober 3, 2018
At Blackhawk Technical College I worked as a work study in the Cnc shop.
I am responsible for shop organization, cleanliness, maintenance of the machines, including fluid levels and proper operation.
What I enjoy most about the job is learning as I work. I am a full time student and getting the extra lessons while I am getting paid is a bonus!
Pros
Learning while I work
Cons
I cant make a career of being a shop assistant
Moving in the wrong direction
Science/Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 2, 2018
This used to be a good place to work, but now most of the employees want to leave. The current president has changed the direction of the school from student centered to "his vision' centered (students learn only on their own so if a traditional classroom is his/her best format . . . tough luck, instructors don't matter, don't question anything because "it will work", complete with finger waving in your face). This vision may work for some students, but the typical student at this school needs more. Options are needed, but this one-sized fits all vision is no better than the old on-sized fits all traditional format and will result in less success.
work study
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 2, 2018
The work study program at Blackhawk is a great experience. I was able to meet very nice people. I'm currently enrolled to receive my associates degree by may 2019.
Pros
great learning enviorment
Fast Paced
WORK STUDY - ASSISTANT STUDENT ENGAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 28, 2018
Loved working with the group of ladies I worked with. Also really enjoyed working for fellow students by making their voices heard about what they wanted to see for extra curricular activities. My supervisor was amazing to work with and understood that I was a student first but also pushed me to be the best me that I could be. That is something I will never be able to repay her for.
Everyone smiles
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIDecember 5, 2017
I have been an adjunct instructor tor first time ever this fall semester. It has given me the opportunity to know I want in!!!! Very kind people and students are awesome.
Productive and fast paced
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 22, 2017
Everyone is friendly and helpful that I work with, also the students was friendly. I learned a lot from Blackhawk Technical College. I would like to work there again .
Excellent place to work
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 15, 2017
BTC was by far the best college I have instructed in and was fortunate enough to learn so much from them. I should have never left to advance myself into a college system that was shut down.
Benefits
Cons
Some long hours
Fun place to work with very flexible hours.
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 16, 2017
Usually I worked at the new student orientations. I learned a lot about being able to navigate blackhawks website and able to find the information needed way more proficiently. The hardest part of the job was talking in front of groups. The best part of the job was being able to help new students.
Pros
Meeting new people, job networking...
Cons
group speaking
IT Outreach Specialist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 3, 2017
Working at Blackhawk Tech was a perfect job for me after graduating with a Bachelors degree. Unfortunately, my position ended and I was laid off. I would love an opportunity to work there again.

Want to know more about Blackhawk Technical College?

Ask a question
Productive and fun place to work
ADMINISTRAIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 22, 2017
I love working at Blackhawk Technical College. Blackhawk is leading in technology edge in this area. The staff are always professional and kind, even the students maintain a certain level of professionalism. The workplace culture is diversified and challenging.
Pros
Great Workplace Enviroment
It was fun to help tutor/mentor fellow students
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 12, 2017
I was able to set my own hours. I don't know if the program I worked in is still available, but it was a mentoring program for fellow students to attend study groups on a weekly basis. The pay wasn't great, but the experience was worth it. Primarily driven by the mentor, management gives you assistance when asked. Only recommended for highly motivated people that have great interpersonal and communication skills.
Pros
Resume builder, easy job, set own hours
Cons
Low pay
fun and informative
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 11, 2017
Teaching the students was very helpful for me, as well. I learned just as much as the students through my research and helping the students. It taught me to expand my mind and expectations.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible hours
Cons
full time hard to get
Excellent place to work
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 13, 2017
My career at BTC has been an incredible experience. The staff/faculty/ and students make that place a diamond in the rough. I l have learned so much and acquired several new colleagues. I would rate BTC as #1 favorite place i've worked over the span of my 21 year career.
Good Benefits!
Executive Assistant to the VP of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 13, 2017
As they say, the only thing constant is change and that is certainly true of Blackhawk. I guess in an environment of learning that is a somewhat reasonable expectation. Flexibility is key to riding the waves of change.

Otherwise, one of its strengths is good benefits!
Benefits
Cons
Winds of Change
Everyone here focus on the students
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 19, 2017
We all work together to help the students in progress of their future. They have a bus service that get the students to the different classes. We go above and beyond the job.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
no benefits no unemployment for time off no holiday pay no vacation
BTC library creates a calm work environment with continuous educational opportinities
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 28, 2016
I learn variety of researching techniques, the library of congress shelf organization format and the ins and outs of library functions. Management is supportive of personal as well as academic growth. Co-workers work well together each finding the other's strengths. The hardest part of the job is talking quietly. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students, supporting their learning and communication styles and seeing their success!
Pros
flexible break schedule
Cons
physical environment such as lighting and temperature control
Good environment
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 3, 2016
My experience at BTC has been wonderful the staff and students are always friendly and helpful. If you have a question that needs asked you don't need to fear asking it. I really enjoy jobs that allow me to feel very comfortable at work.
Pros
able to do homework while working
Cons
Sometimes slow with little actual work
calm quiet enviroment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 4, 2015
I enjoy setting up the library for student use. I like to help students with their research projects. I love the aspect of customer service and take pride in my job.
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
It is often too quiet slow and boring
Great satisfaction improving career possibilities for students
instructor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 31, 2015
My co-workers are passionate about helping people improve their career opportunities. The students are motivated and enthusiastic which makes working with them a pleasure. Management doesn't listen to opposing opinions. My schedule is flexible other than class times and office hours. The benefits have taken a big hit since the state governor has implemented changes. Every year for the past three years, staff and faculty live in fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
Passionate, committed staff
Cons
Constant budget uncertainties