Blackhawk Technical College Employee Reviews

Fast Paced
WORK STUDY - ASSISTANT STUDENT ENGAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 28, 2018
Loved working with the group of ladies I worked with. Also really enjoyed working for fellow students by making their voices heard about what they wanted to see for extra curricular activities. My supervisor was amazing to work with and understood that I was a student first but also pushed me to be the best me that I could be. That is something I will never be able to repay her for.
Productive and fast paced
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 22, 2017
Everyone is friendly and helpful that I work with, also the students was friendly. I learned a lot from Blackhawk Technical College. I would like to work there again .
Excellent place to work
Medical Assistant Instructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 15, 2017
BTC was by far the best college I have instructed in and was fortunate enough to learn so much from them. I should have never left to advance myself into a college system that was shut down.
Benefits
Cons
Some long hours
Fun place to work with very flexible hours.
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIAugust 16, 2017
Usually I worked at the new student orientations. I learned a lot about being able to navigate blackhawks website and able to find the information needed way more proficiently. The hardest part of the job was talking in front of groups. The best part of the job was being able to help new students.
Pros
Meeting new people, job networking...
Cons
group speaking
IT Outreach Specialist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 3, 2017
Working at Blackhawk Tech was a perfect job for me after graduating with a Bachelors degree. Unfortunately, my position ended and I was laid off. I would love an opportunity to work there again.
Productive and fun place to work
ADMINISTRAIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 22, 2017
I love working at Blackhawk Technical College. Blackhawk is leading in technology edge in this area. The staff are always professional and kind, even the students maintain a certain level of professionalism. The workplace culture is diversified and challenging.
Pros
Great Workplace Enviroment
It was fun to help tutor/mentor fellow students
Supplemental Instruction Leader (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 12, 2017
I was able to set my own hours. I don't know if the program I worked in is still available, but it was a mentoring program for fellow students to attend study groups on a weekly basis. The pay wasn't great, but the experience was worth it. Primarily driven by the mentor, management gives you assistance when asked. Only recommended for highly motivated people that have great interpersonal and communication skills.
Pros
Resume builder, easy job, set own hours
Cons
Low pay
fun and informative
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 11, 2017
Teaching the students was very helpful for me, as well. I learned just as much as the students through my research and helping the students. It taught me to expand my mind and expectations.
Pros
Good Pay, Flexible hours
Cons
full time hard to get
Excellent place to work
Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 13, 2017
My career at BTC has been an incredible experience. The staff/faculty/ and students make that place a diamond in the rough. I l have learned so much and acquired several new colleagues. I would rate BTC as #1 favorite place i've worked over the span of my 21 year career.
Good Benefits!
Executive Assistant to the VP of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 13, 2017
As they say, the only thing constant is change and that is certainly true of Blackhawk. I guess in an environment of learning that is a somewhat reasonable expectation. Flexibility is key to riding the waves of change.

Otherwise, one of its strengths is good benefits!
Benefits
Cons
Winds of Change

Want to know more about Blackhawk Technical College?

Ask a question
Everyone here focus on the students
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 19, 2017
We all work together to help the students in progress of their future. They have a bus service that get the students to the different classes. We go above and beyond the job.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
no benefits no unemployment for time off no holiday pay no vacation
BTC library creates a calm work environment with continuous educational opportinities
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 28, 2016
I learn variety of researching techniques, the library of congress shelf organization format and the ins and outs of library functions. Management is supportive of personal as well as academic growth. Co-workers work well together each finding the other's strengths. The hardest part of the job is talking quietly. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping students, supporting their learning and communication styles and seeing their success!
Pros
flexible break schedule
Cons
physical environment such as lighting and temperature control
Good environment
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIFebruary 3, 2016
My experience at BTC has been wonderful the staff and students are always friendly and helpful. If you have a question that needs asked you don't need to fear asking it. I really enjoy jobs that allow me to feel very comfortable at work.
Pros
able to do homework while working
Cons
Sometimes slow with little actual work
calm quiet enviroment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 4, 2015
I enjoy setting up the library for student use. I like to help students with their research projects. I love the aspect of customer service and take pride in my job.
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
It is often too quiet slow and boring
Great satisfaction improving career possibilities for students
instructor (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 31, 2015
My co-workers are passionate about helping people improve their career opportunities. The students are motivated and enthusiastic which makes working with them a pleasure. Management doesn't listen to opposing opinions. My schedule is flexible other than class times and office hours. The benefits have taken a big hit since the state governor has implemented changes. Every year for the past three years, staff and faculty live in fear of losing their jobs.
Pros
Passionate, committed staff
Cons
Constant budget uncertainties
Horrible managed bus program
former bus driver (Former Employee) –  Janesville wiJuly 8, 2015
Technical colleges are run by business people who don't treat employees equal and have double standards. Come up with standards as it went along.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hostile work enviroment
Innovative and engaging place to work
Dean of Protective Services (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 20, 2015
As one of the Academic Deans within the Technical College System was a very rewarding experience. I started with Blackhawk in the middle of the re-education process for displaced GM workers. Working with a number of adults returning to college along with newly graduated high school students was a very interesting mix. During my employment the managerial staff was extremely supportive and motivated its middle management staff to think outside of the box. I became committed to prividing career pathways for students and worked deligently with recruitment and retention. Coming from a law enforcement career to higher education was a bit of a challenge. New terminology and practices put me on a learning curve, but I was able to adapt quite well. Learning how to supervise instructional staff versus law enforcement personell was a bit difficult at first, but turned out to be the most enjoyable part of my job. Overall my eperience with BTC was positive, productive and a learning experienc.
Pros
Working with students and program coordination
Cons
Distance to travel back and forth from work
Learning
Student (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 7, 2015
I have learned many thing regarding business management and culinary arts. Most of the teachers are incredible. The classes are interesting.
NURSING INStructor (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIMay 17, 2015
If your goal is to provide a strong learning environment for students, you may have difficulty here. Management seeks to control the learning environment, instead education should be controlled by trusted faculty. Additionally, job security is poor.
Library Aide (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 17, 2015
Helped college students to get the right resources for them to succeed in their classes. I checked out books and checked them in and put them back to their proper places on the shelves. I would make sure the books was in good shape and made sure the magazines were up to date.
Pros
Worked with different people
Cons
I could only work 30 hours a week