BlackRock Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lots of smart and talented people
Investments and Portfolio Solutions - Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2018
BlackRock has a lot of smart and talented people - it's a great place to work. At times the culture can be sales-oriented, which may appeal more to people with a desire to talk with clients for a living.
Fun
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work and start your career and grow in the financial service industry. Love my time spent here. Flexible time off allows for great work life balance
Pros
Fto
Cons
High end and fun concept!
Waitress/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Utica, MIJune 18, 2018
Fun place to work! Great food, great atmosphere. You get too cook your steak and seafood on a 755 degree volcanic stone! Your food stays just as hot from the first bite too the last. You are promised your size as it locks in 20% more juices than it would on a regular grill! It is a unique, and overall a cool concept if you love too cook and have fun! Black rock is always on top of making sure you receive excellent customer service!
Great opportunities. Long hours.
Portfolio administration intern (Former Employee) –  New Castle County, DEJune 12, 2018
Good pay.
Long hours.
Great working environment.
Great opportunities for growth.
Productive and Hard working environment
Technology Operations Engineer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 6, 2018
BlackRock is a growing innovative firm with many opportunities for young professionals. Daily duties depend on the team however on the technology side, you work very closely with all of the support operational teams. The environment is very relaxed and learning Aladdin will take up most of your day no matter what team you are in.
Pros
Unlimited Vacation Days
Relax atmosphere
Real Estate Fund Analysis Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2018
I worked as a consultant, in which I learned a lot about real estate The atmosphere was relaxed. Management was great they worked with you. Family life is important to them
Overall great company
Alternative Advisors Trading Solutions Analyst (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 31, 2018
Over all my experience at BlackRock has been great. It's a very progressive company that pays strong attention to the impact it makes to it's investors. Cares a ton about employees and employee happiness. Compensation could definitely be better with compensation but they are slowly doing more for us which is great.
Pros
flexible time off, work from home
Cons
compensation low, old school thinking
Associate, BlackRock Solutions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
Long hours, you become an expert in a few things but since its a huge company, still extremely specialized. Management is tough as to be expected, a bit of a stressful atmosphere as most people are unhappy, very lean company, expected to do alot of work. Was good to get it on resume though
Pros
can be good compensation if you come in externally
Cons
long hours, can get stressful
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 29, 2018
Learned a lot very quickly and was under great management when I was there. For someone looking to get into finance this is a very good place to be. Overall a great experience.
culture depends on the team
Data Integrity Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 21, 2018
BLK could be a fun place to work but be carful of team placement. when i started i worked on the CRM and loved the job but moved to DIG and it was terrible. horrible leadership , my manager would fall asleep on his desk while asking us to work harder. no work life blance
na
Investment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 20, 2018
Everyone at BlackRock were usually respectful even on some harsh days. A typical day for me would be logging inside the database, checking emails and messages relating work. There was lots of training relating to systems and how to handle them very specifically. I believe the hardest part about BlackRock as a data engineer is making no mistakes. There is absolutely no room for error since my tasks were very important. this means I have to triple check everything I look at and do. At least, the most enjoyable part about BlackRock is the free beverages and WiFi.
Weak management and serious internal culture issues
Human Resources Rotational Analyst Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Company good environment to get broad and first-in class exposure to asset management industry and a rigorous work environment. Very poor I&D management with noticeably problematic internal politics that adversely effect junior employees of color, particularly junior black talent.
Good
Privileged Access Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2018
As the largest Financial Management company the culture is good.
Management needs to recognize employee work ethics on the personal level.
Personal touches or recognition with the employee is an added bonus. Is boost moral to the employee.
Very good company. Great company culture. Very little management oversight.
Associate - Information Barrier Team - Legal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
Very fast paced work day, little down time.

Knowledgeable, driven and passionate work environment.

Enjoyed co-workers, inter-departmental interaction and open-door policy.

Philanthropic, somewhat inclusive work environment. Very little support for minorities even with a "diversity and inclusion" agenda.

Overall good company to work for if you're lucky enough to have a great manager.

Should really invest in significant management training; in addition to incorporating a direct line of reporting unfair treatment to a 3rd party outside of HR, who is clearly management driven.
Pros
Benefits, Philantropy
Cons
Bad management oversight, unfair treatment of minorities.
Great coworkers
Contingent Worker/ Data Engineerer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 9, 2018
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
working under extreme caution
multi-tasking as the face of the COO office at Barclays Global Investors & Blackrock
EA to the Chairman, Asia Pacific for BlackRock (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
this was a fast-paced job supporting one very high-level executive during 5 years (after supporting him and several others simultaneously at BGI for 5 years). I was always having to handle and prioritize many things at once, I got the utmost respect from my boss (I had a direct-line reportage to the COO), and the last year I worked was the hardest I've ever worked, but was the most satisfying way to end a 10 year relationship with a wonderful boss.
Pros
Respect, People would help me out & vice versa as necessary, intellectual stimulation
Cons
Did not get a lot of face time or even info from my boss toward the end of his tenure there, but learned how to intuit quite well, even during the year and a half of potential merge search
Brutal Place to Work
Analyst/Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2018
A typical work week back when I worked here was 95+ hours... colleagues were hyper competitive and would often try to mess other people up to make themselves look better. It was a fairly common occurrence to see people go into conference rooms at night (after all directors and MDs left) and just start yelling at each other. When I ultimately quit, 6 other people on my team also quit within a month of each other and nobody had another job lined up at the time.

After leaving, I later ran into the department head's former admin on the street and she recognized me and apologized for the way we were all treated.

It looks great on your resume and you get a lot of exposure to products but beware because it will take over your life.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Everything else
Go the extra mile
PCG Global Regulatory Reporting Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 18, 2018
BlackRock is heavily saturated with talented people in key positions. However, there's always room for more, You'll need to log in the extra hours, develop skills outside of your role and make it known you're looking to contribute extra to advance.

Be aware that once you start taking on additional responsibilities your plate can become quickly crowded as you'll be expected to continue taking on additional projects.
Pros
You'll learn and grow quickly, There is a lot of talent here that doesn't mind sharing it, Majority of Directors and VP's are immediately accessible.
Cons
10 hour day is the norm in most roles, and there will be times that you'll work on the weekends/holiday/sick etc...
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working there and would go back if I still lived in the area. The benefits were great when I was working there and they've advanced them even further. We were highly focused on making BlackRock a diverse place to work.
Great, but too big
Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2018
It is great for somebody who wants a relaxed job. This company is too big for an any big impact by an individual. Definitely high paying though, great if you want a stable family income.
Pros
high pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlackRock Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight