BlackRock Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
na
Investment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 20, 2018
Everyone at BlackRock were usually respectful even on some harsh days. A typical day for me would be logging inside the database, checking emails and messages relating work. There was lots of training relating to systems and how to handle them very specifically. I believe the hardest part about BlackRock as a data engineer is making no mistakes. There is absolutely no room for error since my tasks were very important. this means I have to triple check everything I look at and do. At least, the most enjoyable part about BlackRock is the free beverages and WiFi.
Weak management and serious internal culture issues
Human Resources Rotational Analyst Program (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
Company good environment to get broad and first-in class exposure to asset management industry and a rigorous work environment. Very poor I&D management with noticeably problematic internal politics that adversely effect junior employees of color, particularly junior black talent.
Good
Privileged Access Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 15, 2018
As the largest Financial Management company the culture is good.
Management needs to recognize employee work ethics on the personal level.
Personal touches or recognition with the employee is an added bonus. Is boost moral to the employee.
Very good company. Great company culture. Very little management oversight.
Associate - Information Barrier Team - Legal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2018
Very fast paced work day, little down time.

Knowledgeable, driven and passionate work environment.

Enjoyed co-workers, inter-departmental interaction and open-door policy.

Philanthropic, somewhat inclusive work environment. Very little support for minorities even with a "diversity and inclusion" agenda.

Overall good company to work for if you're lucky enough to have a great manager.

Should really invest in significant management training; in addition to incorporating a direct line of reporting unfair treatment to a 3rd party outside of HR, who is clearly management driven.
Pros
Benefits, Philantropy
Cons
Bad management oversight, unfair treatment of minorities.
Great coworkers
Contingent Worker/ Data Engineerer (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEMay 9, 2018
Pros
Free beverages
Cons
working under extreme caution
multi-tasking as the face of the COO office at Barclays Global Investors & Blackrock
EA to the Chairman, Asia Pacific for BlackRock (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2018
this was a fast-paced job supporting one very high-level executive during 5 years (after supporting him and several others simultaneously at BGI for 5 years). I was always having to handle and prioritize many things at once, I got the utmost respect from my boss (I had a direct-line reportage to the COO), and the last year I worked was the hardest I've ever worked, but was the most satisfying way to end a 10 year relationship with a wonderful boss.
Pros
Respect, People would help me out & vice versa as necessary, intellectual stimulation
Cons
Did not get a lot of face time or even info from my boss toward the end of his tenure there, but learned how to intuit quite well, even during the year and a half of potential merge search
Brutal Place to Work
Analyst/Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 27, 2018
A typical work week back when I worked here was 95+ hours... colleagues were hyper competitive and would often try to mess other people up to make themselves look better. It was a fairly common occurrence to see people go into conference rooms at night (after all directors and MDs left) and just start yelling at each other. When I ultimately quit, 6 other people on my team also quit within a month of each other and nobody had another job lined up at the time.

After leaving, I later ran into the department head's former admin on the street and she recognized me and apologized for the way we were all treated.

It looks great on your resume and you get a lot of exposure to products but beware because it will take over your life.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Everything else
Go the extra mile
PCG Global Regulatory Reporting Associate (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEApril 18, 2018
BlackRock is heavily saturated with talented people in key positions. However, there's always room for more, You'll need to log in the extra hours, develop skills outside of your role and make it known you're looking to contribute extra to advance.

Be aware that once you start taking on additional responsibilities your plate can become quickly crowded as you'll be expected to continue taking on additional projects.
Pros
You'll learn and grow quickly, There is a lot of talent here that doesn't mind sharing it, Majority of Directors and VP's are immediately accessible.
Cons
10 hour day is the norm in most roles, and there will be times that you'll work on the weekends/holiday/sick etc...
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed working there and would go back if I still lived in the area. The benefits were great when I was working there and they've advanced them even further. We were highly focused on making BlackRock a diverse place to work.
Great, but too big
Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 11, 2018
It is great for somebody who wants a relaxed job. This company is too big for an any big impact by an individual. Definitely high paying though, great if you want a stable family income.
Pros
high pay
Smart People, Good Culture
Director/Business Manager, Marketing (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2018
Blackrock - formerly BGI/iShares...some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Can be a bit clicky but overall a good place to work and forge a career.
Good
ETL/Data Architect (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 7, 2018
Good place to work. The overall quality of people is good. The compensation is above average.
The management is relatively better and rewards performance.
Competitive culture that still provided a work life balance.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMarch 29, 2018
Blackrock was both a fun and engaging work experience. The culture was incredible and advancement was merit based. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people i worked with and I would recommend Blackrock to anyone.
Very fast paced work environment
SECURITY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 28, 2018
A typical day at work is filled with phone calls, emails & visits from members of other companies & vendors. The best thing about working here is the amount of assistance available from your team when needed.
Ever Changing
Managing Director-Wirehouse Division (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MIMarch 18, 2018
BLK is a great firm that has grown tremendously as it utilizes technology to leap ahead of its peer group. This made products, platforms and management an ever changing process.
Pros
Brand Recognition and depth of product line
Cons
Always had to have the right answer
Challenging place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 17, 2018
Generally good culture. Very political depending on the business. Chances to show worth, but difficult to move up structurally. Overall a great place to work.
recently fun workplace
Account payable/Legal Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
Atmosphere is very comfortable since recently input a few fun activities that are to help with the stress of the job. the workplace culture is very diverse, the most enjoyable part is the people I met while there I have made many new friends, the hardest part is the communication between departments as the company is Global and not all departments are US based
Pros
work from home
Cons
healthcare benefits
good culture and work/life balance
Summer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2018
work/life balance is good at blackrock - hours are manageable compared to the kind of jobs you'll have at investment banks (but of course comes with lower pay and bonus also). I'd say it's a good place - with structured training and great platform - to launch your career for fresh graduates. But for me, upside is limited moving up (unless you become a portfolio manager) and at VP level I think pay is significantly lower than alternatives in the industry.
Buttoned up and professional
Director - Finance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2018
BlackRock is a leader in asset management. A professional environment devoid of harassment. You need an internal champion to advance. Long days and nights at times to pursue deadlines. You will work with professionals, but there's more to success than good work product. Be prepared to navigate the corporate landscape.
Okay environment, employees can be petty on needed help.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Fingerprint background checks for new employees
Making new badges a swell as temporary badges and replacement.
Answering emails through outlook, giving clearence for certain employees, management, sometimes relieving security officers from post if needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlackRock Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight