Blick Art Materials Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, IL 61401July 13, 2018
Okay to work if you are an artist. If you are not, good luck.
There’s hardly ever management around if you need help, and if you attempt something yourself without guidance, chances are you are doing it wrong.
Pros
The pay is slightly above minim
Cons
Not enough hours, Short work shifts on weekends, only hires for part time positions
Corporation with sales goals top priority
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
Large corporation with sales goals top priority, no attention to employees as individuals. Upper management estranged from store level employees. Work load and pace reasonable.
Blick Is a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2018
Blick is an amazing place to work for an artist. You get to meet new and interesting people and the goal bonuses are really nice. They do they're best for their employees and I am happy for the opportunity.
Pros
Sales Incentive Bonus, the people
ok
Art Material Expert (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2018
kind of a negative environment to work in. the work was a lot too for the amount we got paid. mangers had favoritism and everyone who wasn't their favorite suffered.
I grew up with Blick Art Materials
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2018
I grew up while working here. I met most of my lifelong friends, my best friend, and learned more than I could ever imagine about art supplies. Somedays the job tedious, but it was all worth it in the end.I remember this job fondly.
Fair
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
That's really the gist of what I can say about it. It's fair working environment that will try to accommodate you the best that they can. I enjoyed working there
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
An candy store for artists. Great workplace for creatives!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 12, 2018
I originally applied for this job to help me get out of a creative funk by surrounding myself with other artists. It's nice to see that most, if not, all of the employees have artistic experience, and many of them were enjoyable to work with. Customers are a mixed bag because there is a wide-range of artists and personalities, but generally, most people were friendly and respectful. Communication wasn't the greatest and often times tasks went undone or unfinished during the day due to constantly juggling the cash register and cleaning/organizing the store to look presentable at all-times. I wish I had stayed longer, because it was one of the few jobs I enjoyed, but the wages and benefits were lacking, and since I got let go without much explanation, it left me with a sore spot.
Pros
One, 10-minute break every 4 hours
Cons
Lack of benefits, Lack of communication, inconsistent schedule
Good
Logistics & Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJApril 3, 2018
Great Management!!! They strive for you achieve offer pay incentives if the team works to meet shipping goals. They also offer great benefits such as medical, and 401k
"Do you have this brush, but bigger"
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2018
Normal retail job, just with cool products if you're into art. Awesome discount, mostly awesome customers. I learned a ton and thought I was pretty well versed with art supplies going into it. Most of the clerks were artists and would use down time/stocking time to collaborate and share ideas. Positive work environment.
Pros
People, Flexible hours, discounts
Cons
customers
Decent gig to have if you're involved in the arts
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 26, 2018
It's an enjoyable place to work if you have the right management team. I like the overall corporate culture. It's a good day job for creatives, but pays retail wages.. The employee discount is nice, and they offer benefits to full time employees. Working in the store, you occasionally get to do promotion events both on site and off. I advanced from part time sales associate to full time shift lead pretty quickly, and if you want to advance the company will work with you but you might need to move if you want to get into management. I strongly suggest you have some basic interest in art and art supplies before applying. Some of the customer questions are pretty technical so having a basic curiosity is really important, even at management level as the stores are usually not very big. I pretty much had a good time working there.
Pros
employee discount on art supplies, meet interesting people, store events are fun to work at
Cons
retail wages for skilled knowledge
Blick Art Materials
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10011March 19, 2018
Blick was a great place to work, they did their best as corporate leaders to make sure their hourly and salary store employees were satisfied with the operations and policies they put forth for them. District Manager would make visits 3-5 times a year to check in on individual stores and their progress, problems and questions. Very friendly work atmosphere, and flexible work schedule for part timers.
Pros
Great discount (40% off Blick/Utrecht Materials, 30% off everything else)
Cons
Busy during back to school periods
Do Not Work Here
Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2018
they take advantage of your personal life and use it as an excuse to get rid of you if they are going through a slow period. Upper management treat you like a lower class citizen and they make it known that you are beneath them in every aspect of your life
Pros
free work t shirts
Cons
everything else
Family Friendly
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMarch 17, 2018
I always enjoyed going to work. It was a busy day everyday answering calls and taking orders. Management was very friendly and easy to work with. Diverse culture. Hardest part of the job was when computers crashed and trying to take orders and answer questions without computers. Everything was enjoyable.
dont work there
Retail Store Inventory/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2018
biases, racist, homophobic and sexist company.

this job has a glass celling and doesn't provide anything but a headache or management my give you false hope of moving up however they have no intentions on putting a Mexican female in a management position.
It's a paycheck...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 8, 2018
It was fun when I first started the job, but I have since grown out of it. As a part-time employee really only four months of the year do you get good hours. The pay is hardly enough to live off. They are constantly short staffed and unwilling to hire the necessary staff needed. Which puts stress on the current staff. For Example, They were Short staffed during Christmas time and then after Christmas was over hired four new people and then cut hours because business slowed down. When we could have used those people during the holidays.
Pros
Discount on Art Supplies, Paid time off as a Part-Time employee.
Cons
No advancement, No raises, No appreciation for the work you do.
This will keep you busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 10, 2018
I got my workout running back and forth in this huge store, assisting customers and keeping inventory stocked and organized. I really enjoyed the fast paced environment though, and both the staff and guests are great people.
Pros
Good pay, shift coverage, top product
Cons
Company advancement, early shifts
friendly staff
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 10, 2018
The friendly staff is all I was impressed with. I have no comments on location. Store is clean, products are good quality. Customers are primarily students and teachers.
Pros
friendly staff
always something to do
warhouse worker (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJanuary 9, 2018
was put on a line on a daily bases. had to be aware of power equipment. filled trucks. prepared boxes for shipment. filled boxes with product. prepared boxes to be handed out to conveyor belts
great place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2018
Diversity is no issue at Blick. They are equal opportunity and a pleasure to work with. The clientele keep the job interesting for retail and the benefits are great for full time employees.
Good place to work to get through college
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CADecember 13, 2017
Blick is a good place to work while you're going through college. They do have PTO for part-timers, which is nice. Management has changed at the location I work at several times but they're always pretty good. The people I work with are really friendly and easy to get along with. My only complaint is that I wish I had at least slightly better pay and/or more hours to work.
Pros
Discounts, friendly coworkers
Cons
short breaks, little hours