Blick Art Materials Employee Reviews

Great Place To Work
Case Picker (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I have worked here for just over a month at one of the 2 distribution centers in town. My first day was a breeze, watching training videos and learning how to operate equipment and how to perform the job quickly yet safely. Since then i have learned how to do other tasks that management was more than willing to provide training. I love the people i work with on a daily basis and love how well the management treats the rest of the employees.
Pros
Atmosphere, People, Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Nothing i can think of
Such a great place to work!
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2018
The benefits here are incredible and it's such an enjoyable environment. You accrue paid time off so easily and it's so easy to cash it in, and if you leave they give you your paid time off onto your last paycheck.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not enough hours
Best year of my life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 16, 2018
Loved working here. As an artist myself I had all the tools I needed at my disposal at a great price. Coworkers were amazing to work with and the overall environment was just amazing.
Pros
Coworkers, Mangement
Cons
Short Breaks
Not a bad place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 31, 2018
This was a transitional job for me. The management at the time was lacking but the overall experience was not to bad. Its a good part time job for an art student or hobbyist.
Fun place most of the time.
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
The best part of this job is that you get to make your own store window displays and many of the holiday decorations throughout the store. Many of my coworkers and the managers were lovely as well and there's also events like College Campus visits and such where you can get out of the store for a while and work in a totally different environment for a while. The discount is nice so if your main hobby is in the arts, that will save you a good amount.

Bad part is that it feels like quite a workload for minimum wage and long days of running up and down stairs, helping customers, stocking, cleaning, running register, and so on. You get a 30 minute lunch not bad but you need to eat fast because they do time you. You usually work 3 to 4 days a week meaning your paycheck is not enough to sustain you on it's own.
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, IL 61401July 13, 2018
Okay to work if you are an artist. If you are not, good luck.
There’s hardly ever management around if you need help, and if you attempt something yourself without guidance, chances are you are doing it wrong.
Pros
The pay is slightly above minim
Cons
Not enough hours, Short work shifts on weekends, only hires for part time positions
this place was cut throat
Quailty Control (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 12, 2018
managers never had you back, policies never enforced backstabbing people hr was worthless didn't know there job supervisors couldn't or wouldn't make a decsion
Pros
pay insurance paid days off
Cons
managers never enforce policies
Corporation with sales goals top priority
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
Large corporation with sales goals top priority, no attention to employees as individuals. Upper management estranged from store level employees. Work load and pace reasonable.
Blick Is a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2018
Blick is an amazing place to work for an artist. You get to meet new and interesting people and the goal bonuses are really nice. They do they're best for their employees and I am happy for the opportunity.
Pros
Sales Incentive Bonus, the people
ok
Art Material Expert (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2018
kind of a negative environment to work in. the work was a lot too for the amount we got paid. mangers had favoritism and everyone who wasn't their favorite suffered.
I grew up with Blick Art Materials
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2018
I grew up while working here. I met most of my lifelong friends, my best friend, and learned more than I could ever imagine about art supplies. Somedays the job tedious, but it was all worth it in the end.I remember this job fondly.
Fair
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
That's really the gist of what I can say about it. It's fair working environment that will try to accommodate you the best that they can. I enjoyed working there
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
An candy store for artists. Great workplace for creatives!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 12, 2018
I originally applied for this job to help me get out of a creative funk by surrounding myself with other artists. It's nice to see that most, if not, all of the employees have artistic experience, and many of them were enjoyable to work with. Customers are a mixed bag because there is a wide-range of artists and personalities, but generally, most people were friendly and respectful. Communication wasn't the greatest and often times tasks went undone or unfinished during the day due to constantly juggling the cash register and cleaning/organizing the store to look presentable at all-times. I wish I had stayed longer, because it was one of the few jobs I enjoyed, but the wages and benefits were lacking, and since I got let go without much explanation, it left me with a sore spot.
Pros
One, 10-minute break every 4 hours
Cons
Lack of benefits, Lack of communication, inconsistent schedule
Good
Logistics & Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJApril 3, 2018
Great Management!!! They strive for you achieve offer pay incentives if the team works to meet shipping goals. They also offer great benefits such as medical, and 401k
"Do you have this brush, but bigger"
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2018
Normal retail job, just with cool products if you're into art. Awesome discount, mostly awesome customers. I learned a ton and thought I was pretty well versed with art supplies going into it. Most of the clerks were artists and would use down time/stocking time to collaborate and share ideas. Positive work environment.
Pros
People, Flexible hours, discounts
Cons
customers
Decent gig to have if you're involved in the arts
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 26, 2018
It's an enjoyable place to work if you have the right management team. I like the overall corporate culture. It's a good day job for creatives, but pays retail wages.. The employee discount is nice, and they offer benefits to full time employees. Working in the store, you occasionally get to do promotion events both on site and off. I advanced from part time sales associate to full time shift lead pretty quickly, and if you want to advance the company will work with you but you might need to move if you want to get into management. I strongly suggest you have some basic interest in art and art supplies before applying. Some of the customer questions are pretty technical so having a basic curiosity is really important, even at management level as the stores are usually not very big. I pretty much had a good time working there.
Pros
employee discount on art supplies, meet interesting people, store events are fun to work at
Cons
retail wages for skilled knowledge
Blick Art Materials
Inventory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10011March 19, 2018
Blick was a great place to work, they did their best as corporate leaders to make sure their hourly and salary store employees were satisfied with the operations and policies they put forth for them. District Manager would make visits 3-5 times a year to check in on individual stores and their progress, problems and questions. Very friendly work atmosphere, and flexible work schedule for part timers.
Pros
Great discount (40% off Blick/Utrecht Materials, 30% off everything else)
Cons
Busy during back to school periods
Do Not Work Here
Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 19, 2018
they take advantage of your personal life and use it as an excuse to get rid of you if they are going through a slow period. Upper management treat you like a lower class citizen and they make it known that you are beneath them in every aspect of your life
Pros
free work t shirts
Cons
everything else
Family Friendly
Telephone Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMarch 17, 2018
I always enjoyed going to work. It was a busy day everyday answering calls and taking orders. Management was very friendly and easy to work with. Diverse culture. Hardest part of the job was when computers crashed and trying to take orders and answer questions without computers. Everything was enjoyable.
dont work there
Retail Store Inventory/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 14, 2018
biases, racist, homophobic and sexist company.

this job has a glass celling and doesn't provide anything but a headache or management my give you false hope of moving up however they have no intentions on putting a Mexican female in a management position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blick Art Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight