Blick Art Materials Employee Reviews

One of my favorite jobs
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ORNovember 2, 2018
I love working at Blick. There is always something to do and the crew I work with is fantastic and feels like a family. I feel like I am challanged and have fun doing the work I do. I love art and I love learning about art and all different kind of mediums and I love having access to trying new things and learning every day.
A creative and friendly space
Customer Care Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILOctober 18, 2018
This employer encourages dreams and hopes and we were encouraged to learn new skills. It was also great to meet people that are so diverse in their artistic abilities and also the way they are similar in other ways.
I have worked here for 5 year now.
Contact Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILOctober 5, 2018
This company is one of the best companies I have worked for by far. Plenty of room for promotions, team building skills. You put in the effort and get the same in return from the company. They offer paid company outings and they will give you money. Incentives for coming to work. I have never seen a company care about their employees and customers as much as Blick. Great company! Great people!
Not worth the unlivable wage
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 4, 2018
Management was extremely overwhelmed for months and took it out on employees, creating a hostile environment. Hours were randomized and there was a lack of happines throughout the crew.
Fast paced work environment.
Store Receiver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19107September 25, 2018
Working at Blick has been a beneficial 6 years. I've grown as a person and artist through my coworkers and interaction with customers. Being hands on with Products I do not use in my own Art Projects has allowed my own personal work to evolve over the years which is priceless.
Productive and fast pace work environment.
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2018
A typical day includes opening the store, cash handling, setting up registers, writing a daily work schedule, walking the sales floor and assigning tasks and associate placement. Morning communication huddle. Checking corporate emails and assigning corporate tasks. Checking PO's, ensuring product is arriving on time. Analyzing sales and planing accordingly. Communication with sales and inventory managers to make sure both areas are running smoothly and according to plan. Walking the sales floor to ensure merchandising is at a high visual standard. Meeting with framing manager and creating a sales plan and strategy. Walking perimeter of building, cleaning and covering up any graffiti. Checking house account report and communicating with top customers. Checking time punches, fixing any errors and discipline of associates if need be. Walk the store mid day and address and visual or safety issues. Customer service during peak afternoon time, Check corporate emails one more time. clean and zone store. Close registers and have huddle with closers. Lock up
Pros
Merchandising freedom. Great upper management.
Cons
Inexperienced Corporate Merchandising Staff. Too many emails. Shipments come in very unorganized.
Great Place To Work
Case Picker (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILSeptember 8, 2018
I have worked here for just over a month at one of the 2 distribution centers in town. My first day was a breeze, watching training videos and learning how to operate equipment and how to perform the job quickly yet safely. Since then i have learned how to do other tasks that management was more than willing to provide training. I love the people i work with on a daily basis and love how well the management treats the rest of the employees.
Pros
Atmosphere, People, Benefits, Discounts
Cons
Nothing i can think of
Such a great place to work!
Associate Instructor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 26, 2018
The benefits here are incredible and it's such an enjoyable environment. You accrue paid time off so easily and it's so easy to cash it in, and if you leave they give you your paid time off onto your last paycheck.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Not enough hours
Best year of my life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYAugust 16, 2018
Loved working here. As an artist myself I had all the tools I needed at my disposal at a great price. Coworkers were amazing to work with and the overall environment was just amazing.
Pros
Coworkers, Mangement
Cons
Short Breaks
Not a bad place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORJuly 31, 2018
This was a transitional job for me. The management at the time was lacking but the overall experience was not to bad. Its a good part time job for an art student or hobbyist.
Fun place most of the time.
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 22, 2018
The best part of this job is that you get to make your own store window displays and many of the holiday decorations throughout the store. Many of my coworkers and the managers were lovely as well and there's also events like College Campus visits and such where you can get out of the store for a while and work in a totally different environment for a while. The discount is nice so if your main hobby is in the arts, that will save you a good amount.

Bad part is that it feels like quite a workload for minimum wage and long days of running up and down stairs, helping customers, stocking, cleaning, running register, and so on. You get a 30 minute lunch not bad but you need to eat fast because they do time you. You usually work 3 to 4 days a week meaning your paycheck is not enough to sustain you on it's own.
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, IL 61401July 13, 2018
Okay to work if you are an artist. If you are not, good luck.
There’s hardly ever management around if you need help, and if you attempt something yourself without guidance, chances are you are doing it wrong.
Pros
The pay is slightly above minim
Cons
Not enough hours, Short work shifts on weekends, only hires for part time positions
this place was cut throat
Quailty Control (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJuly 12, 2018
managers never had you back, policies never enforced backstabbing people hr was worthless didn't know there job supervisors couldn't or wouldn't make a decsion
Pros
pay insurance paid days off
Cons
managers never enforce policies
Corporation with sales goals top priority
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 11, 2018
Large corporation with sales goals top priority, no attention to employees as individuals. Upper management estranged from store level employees. Work load and pace reasonable.
Blick Is a good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2018
Blick is an amazing place to work for an artist. You get to meet new and interesting people and the goal bonuses are really nice. They do they're best for their employees and I am happy for the opportunity.
Pros
Sales Incentive Bonus, the people
ok
Art Material Expert (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2018
kind of a negative environment to work in. the work was a lot too for the amount we got paid. mangers had favoritism and everyone who wasn't their favorite suffered.
I grew up with Blick Art Materials
Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 14, 2018
I grew up while working here. I met most of my lifelong friends, my best friend, and learned more than I could ever imagine about art supplies. Somedays the job tedious, but it was all worth it in the end.I remember this job fondly.
Fair
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
That's really the gist of what I can say about it. It's fair working environment that will try to accommodate you the best that they can. I enjoyed working there
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
no room for advancement
An candy store for artists. Great workplace for creatives!
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTApril 12, 2018
I originally applied for this job to help me get out of a creative funk by surrounding myself with other artists. It's nice to see that most, if not, all of the employees have artistic experience, and many of them were enjoyable to work with. Customers are a mixed bag because there is a wide-range of artists and personalities, but generally, most people were friendly and respectful. Communication wasn't the greatest and often times tasks went undone or unfinished during the day due to constantly juggling the cash register and cleaning/organizing the store to look presentable at all-times. I wish I had stayed longer, because it was one of the few jobs I enjoyed, but the wages and benefits were lacking, and since I got let go without much explanation, it left me with a sore spot.
Pros
One, 10-minute break every 4 hours
Cons
Lack of benefits, Lack of communication, inconsistent schedule
Good
Logistics & Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NJApril 3, 2018
Great Management!!! They strive for you achieve offer pay incentives if the team works to meet shipping goals. They also offer great benefits such as medical, and 401k

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blick Art Materials. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight