Blizzard Entertainment

United States216 reviews

gamegamingactivisionswagentertainmentvideocultureticket

Great Company Culture

Featured review

Blizzard Entertainment selected this as a representative review
Blizzard was definitely a positive impact in my life and my courier. The company is well organized, respectful to employees and offers amazing benefits.

Benefits

Cons

Work weekend

0 stars if I could

Blizzard is a hack company that doesn't deserve business or your hard earned cash. They'll just lock you out of your account and leave you nothing.Honestly to see how far this company has fallen is tragic. At the very least I was hoping to keep playing games I payed for, but even that wasn't possible. Seeking refunds for my purchases.

Blizzard Entertainment insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Dont ever work here

It's as bad as all the other people say. Don't come in thinking you're gunna enjoy work every day. It's a business that does not care about the customer or the employees.

Bad company

This company doesn't care about its employees, it clearly doesn't care about the customers, I've seen it in almost every game, they false advertise their games, and release half the game upon official release, they openly screw customers over let alone the employees. I have no words or memory/recollection of the last time ANYBODY was satisfied with this company, to a point where there wasn't even question if this company has redeemed itself for its uncalled for, bad service and lack of care towards ANYTHING.

It was fun while the experience lasted but never would I ever again.

I could write a few detailed chapters of all the things that are wrong with this place but everyone’s experience is their own and if that’s a risk you want to take to find out, so be it :)

Pros

Some of the people you meet there can be enjoyable, small merch perks

Cons

Difficult to advance in career, Low compensation for industry, Lack of management skills from many managers/leads, They hire from a temp agency, They have several temps yet don’t treat them the same as their employees but make them do more work.

Too many knuckleheads in charge

I worked for Blizzard for six long years. It started off great until the culture completely changed. What you read in the newspaper is true and what is worse, there are people like that still waiting in the shadows.Work here if you are a fan of the once great company, it will look good on your resume.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

The stories you read online and the newspaper are just the tip of the iceberg... it is much worse

Blizzard had incredible employee care and TONS of FREE Stuff/Events, but its still a Call Center and your job will revolve around the customers

There are two sides to working at Blizzard, and which side is more important to you will determine if you have a good time there. First is the company/culture itself. My time was from 2012-2016 and I only left because I had to (moved), I didnt want to leave. The company side loves to make its employees feel like they matter. Some of these things are like: Usually 2 big events (outings) in the year where they rent out places (like an entire Main Event or Dave & Busters), and 2-4 events where they provide food and drinks with 60-90 mins to check out some "stuff" (cant say per NDA), and plenty PotLucks, team outings, and even time to play the current games/expansions so we are up to date on the in-game knowledge to better help our players. Being a Call Center, you can dress how you want, you can eat at your desk whenever (but you cant leave the desk unless your on lunch/break/bathroom). I personally kept snacks in my bottom drawer. During my time there, the place was fun and very great. However the otherside of this coin is the actual work itself. Its a call center, so your usually juggling either Phones, Live Chat, or "Tickets" (email support basically). Tickets are usually your most relaxing time as you can listen to music/podcasts, just cant be watching movies/shows. Make sure your still working and meeting metrics, and Ticket time is the best time. Phones are a loot box. Sometimes you get cool people, sometimes VERY upset people, and sometimes people who dont know what a keyboard is. its a grab bag but thats part of the job. Live chat however, is where it gets very stressful. -

Great work experience

Place encourages learning and developing their employees, fellow employees were great people, and enjoyed the job. Major con is the pay, but the work was easy. Always looked to promote from within.

It’s just another 9-5 job

I had always heard how great Blizzard was in it’s prime. However, under the Activision umbrella, it felt the same as any other job I’ve worked in. The was a strong sense of favoritism when it came to advancement and raises. If you weren’t available for every event and knew how to placate to the right people, there wasn’t much of a future or growth in the company.

Pros

Nice people, decent pay, benefits available

Cons

Too many meetings, management is not reliable, designers / dev do not take feedback

Very political

Not a good place to work. Current news on the company should be all you need to know. Horrible culture and hardly any opportunity for advancement. The company likely won't be around much longer.

Pros

Started out great.

Cons

Declined once politics became involved.

Good co-workers, poor management tactics to keep pay low

All of my co-workers were nice, good people, and I got along well with them. There were, however, a lot of barriers to a promotion that did not seem merit-based. There is some validity to California's suit against Blizzard for having a frat-boy environment.Blizzard management also used their name brand as being compensation in itself to pay their QA Department (and likely Customer Service Department) less than a livable wage.

Pros

Free overtime food, relaxed environment and dress code

Cons

Low pay, promotion favoritism, too much overtime

Great place to work overall

Very supportive. Great projects. World renowned company.Need a little more focus on innovations.Software infrastructure has gotten overly complicated over the years, since there were so many projects and each project was unique.Pay is "low" b/c of the "Blizzard tax" -- everyone wants to work there, so they don't have to pay as much.

Pros

Great projects to work on if you are on a game team. Plenty of perks. Free lunches during "crunch".

Cons

Some managers weren't good, their infrastructure has become overly complicated since there are so many projects.

They ask for your thoughts on something and why you think that thenwonder why you are all over the place? Its not fair.

Being there for 5+ years and told that I could come back to work make sure you get it in writing like I should have when I left ON GOOD TERMS,I wish I did. They love and appreciate good work. I left due to illness figuring that if I left on good terms it would be better so that I could concentrate on getting well to getting healthier. The HR lady said that I would be able to work again and my time would take up where it left off as if I had never left and my time there had never had been interrupted and then I could start working towards getting my shield that would go with my sword that I already have. Blizzard is a large dysfunctional family that I love and I miss so I want to get back in there ASAP. I can hardly wait!

Pros

Free lunches, free gear, meeting new people, opportunities

Cons

Short breaks, having to learn to adjust to things you normally abhor (certain odors, music, etc.)

Losing core and identity

Slowly losing company values while parent company is making more decisions. There are many cases of people getting promotions due to a spot opening, but they don’t fit criteria. Then others with the criteria are sidelined.

Pros

Most employees genuinely do care and are great to work woth

Cons

Low pay, corporate when it saves money but relaxed/carefree in places it should be more corporate

Don't Do It

This is an absolutely horrible place to work. Unless you are willing to go out drinking with the managers after hours or publicly berate others or simply keep quiet when you see people doing unsavory things, you would not fit in here. The pay is not commensurate with professional experience, but instead, experience with either flirting with senior directors or going to party with them. If you are willing to wear tight clothes, you might be promoted.

Cons

So many. Where do I start?

A sinking ship / all-time low morale

This is not easy to write as Blizzard has always been my dream company and I am a huge fan of their games, but the company is a sinking ship. Been with them for a few years and the first year was amazing and exceeded all expectations for what one imagined what life at Blizzard would be like. But in 2020 it all started to go downhill due to constant changes and overreach from Activision. It sounds good on paper: they are trying to streamline things across the global company but the vision is unclear and implementation is horrendous. Certain decisions coming from the top (c-suite) make no sense with no explanation and I’ve seen it drive people out in droves. It’s heartbreaking for me to note that everyone I know at the company has left or is actively looking for a new job. And these are people who bleed blizzard-blue and never dreamed of leaving! And don’t get me started on the horrendous practice of hiring everyone as a contractor and extending their contract every three months with the promise of conversion. Contract life is cruel when you are forced to work 18+ months without access to benefits or PTO. No matter how you try to beg/convince upper management that you need to convert someone, it can never be done. And those who are hired as full-time are paid insultingly low. It’s impossible to hire great talent if we are unable to pay them competitive rates. I’m depressed to see such a great company fall but all I can do now is appreciate that I was able to experience the good times and hopefully bring that inspiration to my next job

Pros

Great team members, fun products, D&I employee networks

Cons

Horrible corporate leadership and management, rushing new process/tech implementations which has created chaos, everyone is leaving

The People are better than the company

My experience with this company is two fold. I enjoyed my coworkers, but not the woke PC culture that tended to permeate the management culture. My coworkers were very awesome people. The kind of people you'd like to game and chill with after work. The only problem, is that we were all tired from work and usually didn't hang out. The people I worked with were the best thing about working at this employer. The company itself and the lack of morality where it counts, tended to be the worst part of working for this employer.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

The company allows for the censorship of individuals in communist countries, while pushing a woke agenda globally

Great culture, but lack of growth

First let me start off with stating I am not disgruntled. Quite the contrary. Blizzard Entertainment helped shape me into the type of employee I am today. The people I worked with every day made the workload digestible. The workload however is mundane and highly repetitive. It wouldn't change very much from the day to day life. Show up and clock in. Send the same responses countless times for the same reason/requests.The biggest thing I learned there was how to communicate effectively. Unfortunately, that didn't help with advancing in the company. They will say that you own your career, however you get locked in one department and have little opportunity from moving out of that department.The pay scale was absolutely abysmal when I started. However several employees made a huge fuss about being underpaid and they bumped everyone up to a more suitable pay band. Close enough to a living wage as you'll get currently for an entry level position. You'll still need a roommate or two to offset living expenses.Management is going to be hit or miss. It ultimately depends on if you get along with them and become friends. But if you direct supervisor doesn't like you personally, you'll have a bad time working there. Upper management was completely out of touch with reality by the time I left. They were so focused one profitability and money, they lost sight of the company's mission. To provide an epic gaming experience with epic customer support. They found that automated support is more cost effective than having the human element.

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, great culture, tons of free stuff

Cons

no room for advancement

Blizzard died long ago

Once Blizzard merged with Activision, its culture died off. Game Masters were met with extremely low pay and terrible working hours. Morale is low, every manager was essentially demoted and forced to work tickets on the floor. The company doesn't care about its customer service department or most of its developers. Benefits are okay, but constant fear of layoffs and constant hiring freezes keep everyone with a negative outlook. You essentially get paid in Blizzard swag and then its taxed as taxable income. The old Blizzard is long gone. Steer clear of this place.

Cons

Pay, benefits, hours, morale

Once great now lost

Blizzard was a superb creative-driven company. "It will ship when it's ready" was the motto. Now Activision has turned it into a heartless money-driven shop.

Stable and Stagnant

The legendary reputation this company had for being an amazing place to work no longer exists. The work/life balance is good, and is appropriate if you have a family to support. However this is just another huge corporation that operates as such, and not the small family atmosphere it once was. This will all depend on the team your placed with. I’ve heard being directly on a game team is most fun, and everything else will be miserable. Career growth is non-exisistent, as you will only excel if you have the proper alliances or leave and come back (very typical way of climbing the corporate ladder). If you seek professional growth, I would advise to look elsewhere. If you need a steady paycheck, they have plenty of revenue. Just mentally prepare yourself for the brain drain.

Pros

Swag

Cons

Poor Management, Lack of Career Growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blizzard Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss