Blizzard Entertainment Employee Reviews

Working for a legendary game studio
Customer Service Champion (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Within my 9 years of service, Blizzard Customer Support has grown into a well-organized, intelligently-run department. In my role, I was given a lot of opportunities to make a difference in the organization. It wasn't always easy, but my teammates made it much more bearable.

I left the company happy and in a position to pursue other options safely. Given the right set of circumstances, would absolutely rejoin the Blizzard family.
Pros
It's a great company and culture to work in. The people I worked with were great.
Cons
At least in Customer Support, the hours can be rough on personal life, since the need for our presence covers all hours
Fun and Amazing company
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 31, 2018
People are great, laid back culture, everyone can grow and learn new things. It's a fun workplace environment with endless opportunities to connect and develop meaningful relationships.
Blizzard Entertainment is an awesome place to work
Director of Security (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 14, 2018
I have been working with Blizzard Entertainment for a while now and they take very good care of their employees, vendors, and guests that come to the sites. They have great incentive plans and all employees enjoy working for the company.
Pros
bring dog to work, wear whatever clothing I want to wear
Cons
Nothing that I have found so far.
Fun
Test Manager, QA (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CADecember 7, 2018
Fun place to work. Blizzard is family oriented and you get decent swag and perks. Unfortunately they have a compensation problem that they refuse to fix so they are bleeding top talent to competitors.
Fantastic culture and great place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 28, 2018
I've been at Blizzard for over a decade and I've truly enjoyed my entire time here. It's helped me grow immensely, even beyond my current role, and provided me numerous challenges and opportunities along the way. The benefits are outstanding and the pay is fair. The people are what has really made this company feel like home over the past decade. I would truly recommend it to anyone as a fantastic place to work and an opportunity to look for.
Great place to work for the experienced
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 23, 2018
Pros:
- Great workplace with a lot of passion
- Much more casual and nerdy
- Awesome job stability with good benefits and nice compensations/discounts
- It's Blizzard!

Cons:
- Like all game companies: less pay and lots of overtime. High passion & dedication are expected
- Promotions are difficult; better to leave and gain more experience elsewhere, then reapply back
- You're required to work Blizzcon (once a year 2-day convention)
- Inter-department communication isn't great; many teams have a very solo mentality.
It's great but time to move on.
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 17, 2018
I worked for Blizzard initially because I was a huge fan of their games. Taken in by the culture, I helped develop Blizzard's customer service policies and data entry guidelines. Provided feedback in focus groups that increased virtual sales and selection for customers.

Management is very receptive and helps bubble-up ideas and input to the developers. Though, the developers have a keen ear to the ground as it were, in that they not only look at the massive support of one thing or another, but they also look at the small things and how it affords a quick/easy win for the community.

Hardest part of the job was deciding on how to spend the Battlenet Balance each employee is given for virtual products.
Good placer to work
GM/CS (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Good place to work. Boss is more like a mentor than a boss. He carries the load with you and doesn't hesitate for a second to stop and help you if you are struggling. He will do anything in his power to keep you productive but not overwhelmed and he is very understanding. The job is not easy, lots of complains and situations you wish you could say "just play the game and use google" since we need to solve "how to do quests" situations to players and World of Warcraft has a few thousand quests.

Other than that, the job was not fun but the bosses were so cool that you don't mind the work at all. No wonder these guys are so famous for Customer Service.
Pros
Higher pay rate for CS
Cons
Contracts come and go based on the game they are releasing, once the game is out and settled they will let every new CS go.
Amazing.
General Artist Intern (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 29, 2018
Amazing people, amazing company.

Every team has their own culture.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the daily interaction with fellow artist and coworkers.
Not Bad But Over-Hyped
PC tech support (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 23, 2018
I have worked at Blizzard Entertainment for close to eleven years in Customer Support. Though the job itself is full of introverts and encourages you to focus on your work, it is the extroverts that receive all the promotions. They do promote from within but any degrees earned, past experience, time already worked at Blizzard, none of that matters. You get one shot via an interview for positions that you may wait years for an opening to come up in and if you have any kind of interview anxiety, you will not get that promotion.

Working in Support is a nightmare. Most of the people who work there for any kind of extended time end up with neurological disorders. We have military vets that did fine in combat that end up with anxiety, we have a large number of people that end up dealing with depression. You face customers that dehumanize you, scream at you, and basically hold your career hostage through the almighty survey system. These are customers that are basically addicts to video games and if you have ever dealt with an addict that is denied their fix, then you have an idea of how they can be. There are often Staff that cry on the job from the sheer amount of abuse that they take from customers and because we have to sweet talk even the most meanest customer for a better survey rather than tell them what actually needs to be said, you have to ignore the constant fight or flight instinct telling you to either run from this customer or fight back. I do not care how mentally strong you are, you ignore this for too long, and your body and your mind will strike back at you.
  more...

These customers are asked to give a logical assessment of your work but the company sells an emotional experience via video games and that is the type of answers you get in your surveys which determine if you will stay employed or get promoted or be able to take advantage of certain programs within the company. Most of the time, the answers you will have to give to customers are predetermined but you will still be the one that takes the hit on your surveys which are not even mathematically sound. They also continue to raise the bar on minimum requirements for quality and right now it is so ridiculously high that I cannot foresee being able to stay employed there for much longer. One bad week can make it difficult to pass your metrics, and two bad weeks can bury you. They try to say that the ratio of good to bad customers evens out, but we are talking about people with different triggers, personalities, etc, that you get at random, and the only way for it to really balance out would be a larger sample size than just a few months.

Your immediate Supervisor is great. They are helpful, but how much help and support you get from them is sort of luck of the draw based on which Supervisor you work under. Beyond them however, there is a disconnect and management staff beyond your immediate Supervisor do not care about you, only the business. They make all the decisions for better or worse, and if it is a bad decision, Support has to live with it. I do not think they do this maliciously, I just think they are under-qualified to make the decisions they are making. If you want to bring in new technology, you consult someone who is an expert with the type of tech you want to bring in, if you want to change a system that will affect who gets fired and who gets promoted based on customer interaction, then you want to bring in the experts who make sure your decisions are sound. They do none of that in Support.

The only thing that Blizzard has going for them, are the benefits are fantastic, the games are great, and there is a great culture there. Blizzard as a company really does care for its customers, and that is a rare thing these days. The CEO cares for the company and its workers, which is also rare.

All in all, Blizzard is a great company as long as you do not work in Support. If you are looking for a Support job, I recommend that you avoid this one. There are better places to work for out there.
Pros
Free products, great benefits
Cons
Low pay, entitled customers, terrible metric system, terrible promotion system, unavoidable and unreasonable amounts of unecessary stress, out of touch management, promotions given to extroverts and work cliques
Overall fun place to work
Social Support and Engagement (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 10, 2018
This is a fun place to work. Everyone generally gets along with everyone else. The culture is awesome and I couldn’t ask for a better place of employment. I hope to remain there for years to come.
Pros
Able to bring pets to work, benefits, company discounts, we have our own Starbucks!!
Cons
Nothing.
Great people to work with
Box Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 4, 2018
I have never felt so welcomed on a first day. Staff is very fun to work with, laid back and get the job done.

Everyone loves their job and is very nice to each other. Staff is treated very well. Downside is that it is only part-time.
Pros
Free lunch on event days, stocked kitchen, fun environment.
Cons
part-time, on call.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 2, 2018
I had a great time learning from my peers. Everyone there is friendly and what a great culture to be a part of. The best part of working at Blizzard is the people you work with. Let your inner geek out
Pros
Cons
Pay inst the best
Fun business to work for
Game Tester (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 10, 2018
Between Customer Service and Tester, the work place was a very relaxed place of business. Many hours were spent working with customers to bring resolution to their said issues.
Pros
Plenty of opportunities to make more than your base pay
Cons
Mandatory over time in excess can be taxing
Wonderful place to start!
Game Master (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 29, 2018
If you love W.O.W. this is definitely the place to work. I loved my job so much when I started. The people I worked with were wonderful, and most of them were really accommodating to my situation. I went here right out of high school and the only reason I left was because the pay didn't meet my needs as an adult trying to move out. Loved every second of the job, just wish they paid more.
Blizzard Ent
Service Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2018
Typical work day consist of pulling tickets and resolving customers' issue. Tickets are resolved in a timely manner. What I learned was how to work with a team and always ask questions if needed. Management was average I never talked to my team manager because he quit the day I hit the floor. Workplace culture was fun. We all work in a office and talk to each other occasionally on breaks and lunch. Hardest part of the job is having to deal with irate customers who is stubborn to listen to your recommendation. Most enjoyable part of the job would working at the cube and listening to music or podcast while resolving tickets.
Pros
relaxed work enviroment
Cons
underpaid, no career advancement
Great place but depends on which team/dept
Localization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 2, 2018
I think the department I was in was just bad. Bad upper management who gossips and tells other staffs compensation...he just didn’t know how to actually guide the department as a whole. The rest of Blizzard has many intelligent and hard working people. I love the company and projects we work on but I guess the department just didn’t work for me.
Overall Good Experience
CUSTOMER SUPPORT TEAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 10, 2018
From an Overall perspective working in the Customer Support department at Blizzard was a good experience. I appreciated the day-to-day interactions that I had with the leadership, and my peers. Like many places, you will get out of it what you put into it.
Great work place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAApril 25, 2018
Blizzard Entertainment is a great place to work, and I would recommend it for anyone (entry level to senior level). The company takes time and listen to employee feedback as it does with player feedback, and that's huge.
Pros
Excellent benefits, company cultures
Cons
Salary can be more competitive
Love it
Billing and Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2018
Loved my time with Blizzard and my Blizzard family. They treated us great. I was sad to leave but life happens and it happened here so It was time to move on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blizzard Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight