BLOCK INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Review
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2018
Block institute, while having a good working relationship with co-workers Block institute was not organized and you had to consolidate rooms together because of constant understaffing adding additional stresses each day that were unneeded. The overall condition of the facility was horrible, the roof of the facility leaked shutting down half of the facility for months. I would not advise someone to work here.
Pros
good relationship with co-workers
Cons
Unorganized and Understaffed
Flexible schedule, great oportunity to improve knowledge
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2018
Great place to work. Management Team is re-building up with great candidates. QA team is great to work with and the QA director has a well understanding of personal growth.
Block institute was and excited and excellent job
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 24, 2018
I was only with BLOCK INSTITUTE for a short period of time. I had a work place injury, I received worker compensation for two years. My mind was so messed up from depression and Anxiety I forgot the jobs policy and continually calling to let them know that I stilled wanted my job. I sincerely wished that I had remembered to call to call in.
Great place to be in.
Internship (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 19, 2018
Time files by quick when your in the Block institue program. I learned so much while I was their and was very sad when the internship was over. Staff where very friendly.
working with kids is fun and entertaining
Teachers Aid 1 (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 9, 2018
a typical day at block includes a lot of fun with the kids. i learnt a lot about kids, and individuals behavior. management is very poor. the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids
Ability to advance
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 13, 2018
I have been given the opportunity to advance in various positions over the years based on previous experience and qualifications. The experience was very memorable and I enjoyed enhancing the quality of life for the individuals I served.
Not appreciated
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 4, 2018
Direspected numerous times then followed by an apology then disrespected again. Not valued for the work that was being done. The blame game was always played. Minimal opportunity to explore new ideas. Favoritism in one supervisor. Over worked and underpaid. The work conditions are unfavorable, in the summer the building is very hot and in the winter ( especially when it snows), or when it rains you better walk with an umbrella; because its pouring rain inside the building.
Pros
Individuals make your day
Cons
Constantly disrespected
stressful
Ex Supervisor (Former Employee) –  StillwellApril 27, 2018
A typical day is very stressful at Block, some of the supervisors , and coordinators treats us like we are beneath them. Supervisors are under pay and have to do excessive work.
Pros
Individuals are wonderful to work with
Cons
you are under paid
Unruly
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 31, 2018
I don't have much to say besides good luck with leaving there without having your name thrown into the Justice Center. No one has your back, it's every man for themselves.
We try to do the best for our indivuals
Direct support professional (Current Employee) –  Ocean AveMarch 12, 2018
We can always do better so that the indivuals can live a better life. Block put the individual first and tries their best to make sure the have Fun and are safe when doing that
Great supervision & peers; understaffed
Behavior Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 14, 2018
I worked on the psych team at Block--consisting of some great colleagues. However, we each were based out of various locations within the company so it often felt as though our team was understaffed, having to rely on ourselves to care of many people on our own. A lot of staff in positions outside of the psych team were unreceptive to recommendations and did not appropriately care for our patients. The job would have been less stressful with more staff by my side. However, my team was amazing and I enjoyed being part of the psych squad. Such kind-hearted individuals caring for such special people every day.
very Productive place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 10, 2018
the company is a great place to work although it can be over whelming at times . the shortage of staff made it very difficult at times to work efficiently and effectively.
Challenging
computer information systems specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Its a very challenging place to work for but if you put all the negativity aside and focus on what they do there for the kids and adults individuals its nothing but love and support.
Not a productive place to work to much favoritism with supervisors
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 10, 2017
"No room for advancement, Poor management the place became a revolving door for staff leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting clients in achieving the highest level of independence to becoming productive in all areas of daily living skills, planning developing and assisting individual with daily goals and activities. The hardest part of the job is short staff, and management will implement doubling up of 2 and 3 class room together sometimes 14 clients in a classroom with one permanent staff, and a substitute making it tired some for clients and staff".
Pros
Time approprate ...9 AM to 3 30pm
Cons
Short staff
productive working place
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 19, 2017
A typical day work is interesting depending on the section you work, the individuals are friendly and when you love what you do there will be no complaining, The place is good in learning that the individuals are like everyone that wants love and affections. The management is poor and workplace culture is not too good. The hardest part of the job is lifting but with the help of oil lifting it is a bit easier. The most enjoyable part is that some individuals appreciate staff even when the money is not too good.
Pros
Free lunches during staff appreciation week
Cons
There is no good benefits
Productive and fun place to work
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 15, 2017
It is a good place to work but the pay is low and retirement benefits is not worth it. At the time I was making 10 an hr. and dealing with special needs students. Employees are under paid.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
salary/long term benefits
Program supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 27, 2017
Room for growth, you can receive alot of trainings for the human services field. Requirements are associated degrees for group leaders, high school diploma for assistant group leaders.
Overall good experience
Medicaid Service Coordinator (MSC) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2017
I worked as a medicaid service coordinator if it wasn't for the pay and the price of medical benefits for my child, I would still be there. It was such a great environment for me emotionally and physically. There is much room for growth as the department is small but i enjoyed the time I spent there.
Pros
location, the family like atmosphere
Cons
salary and benefits for a person with a family.
Depressing
Residential (Current Employee) –  ResidentialAugust 25, 2017
There's two groups- the people who sincerely care to work hard and better the lives of others, and then those who just don't care. Residential is a disaster with nursing, management, and living conditions.
Workplace
Respite Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2017
Working with kids with disability from ages 3-8, and we accommodate with the ages as needs.

Working in the are, there is a training where they explain to us on what to do to make our job experience easier

It is a team effort, everyone works together.
Pros
Environment