BLOCK INSTITUTE Employee Reviews

Not appreciated
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 4, 2018
Direspected numerous times then followed by an apology then disrespected again. Not valued for the work that was being done. The blame game was always played. Minimal opportunity to explore new ideas. Favoritism in one supervisor. Over worked and underpaid. The work conditions are unfavorable, in the summer the building is very hot and in the winter ( especially when it snows), or when it rains you better walk with an umbrella; because its pouring rain inside the building.
Pros
Individuals make your day
Cons
Constantly disrespected
stressful
Ex Supervisor (Former Employee) –  StillwellApril 27, 2018
A typical day is very stressful at Block, some of the supervisors , and coordinators treats us like we are beneath them. Supervisors are under pay and have to do excessive work.
Pros
Individuals are wonderful to work with
Cons
you are under paid
Unruly
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 31, 2018
I don't have much to say besides good luck with leaving there without having your name thrown into the Justice Center. No one has your back, it's every man for themselves.
We try to do the best for our indivuals
Direct support professional (Current Employee) –  Ocean AveMarch 12, 2018
We can always do better so that the indivuals can live a better life. Block put the individual first and tries their best to make sure the have Fun and are safe when doing that
Great supervision & peers; understaffed
Behavior Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 14, 2018
I worked on the psych team at Block--consisting of some great colleagues. However, we each were based out of various locations within the company so it often felt as though our team was understaffed, having to rely on ourselves to care of many people on our own. A lot of staff in positions outside of the psych team were unreceptive to recommendations and did not appropriately care for our patients. The job would have been less stressful with more staff by my side. However, my team was amazing and I enjoyed being part of the psych squad. Such kind-hearted individuals caring for such special people every day.
very Productive place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 10, 2018
the company is a great place to work although it can be over whelming at times . the shortage of staff made it very difficult at times to work efficiently and effectively.
Challenging
computer information systems specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 24, 2018
Its a very challenging place to work for but if you put all the negativity aside and focus on what they do there for the kids and adults individuals its nothing but love and support.
Not a productive place to work to much favoritism with supervisors
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 10, 2017
"No room for advancement, Poor management the place became a revolving door for staff leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting clients in achieving the highest level of independence to becoming productive in all areas of daily living skills, planning developing and assisting individual with daily goals and activities. The hardest part of the job is short staff, and management will implement doubling up of 2 and 3 class room together sometimes 14 clients in a classroom with one permanent staff, and a substitute making it tired some for clients and staff".
Pros
Time approprate ...9 AM to 3 30pm
Cons
Short staff
productive working place
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 19, 2017
A typical day work is interesting depending on the section you work, the individuals are friendly and when you love what you do there will be no complaining, The place is good in learning that the individuals are like everyone that wants love and affections. The management is poor and workplace culture is not too good. The hardest part of the job is lifting but with the help of oil lifting it is a bit easier. The most enjoyable part is that some individuals appreciate staff even when the money is not too good.
Pros
Free lunches during staff appreciation week
Cons
There is no good benefits
Productive and fun place to work
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 15, 2017
It is a good place to work but the pay is low and retirement benefits is not worth it. At the time I was making 10 an hr. and dealing with special needs students. Employees are under paid.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
salary/long term benefits
Program supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 27, 2017
Room for growth, you can receive alot of trainings for the human services field. Requirements are associated degrees for group leaders, high school diploma for assistant group leaders.
Overall good experience
Medicaid Service Coordinator (MSC) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 25, 2017
I worked as a medicaid service coordinator if it wasn't for the pay and the price of medical benefits for my child, I would still be there. It was such a great environment for me emotionally and physically. There is much room for growth as the department is small but i enjoyed the time I spent there.
Pros
location, the family like atmosphere
Cons
salary and benefits for a person with a family.
Depressing
Residential (Current Employee) –  ResidentialAugust 25, 2017
There's two groups- the people who sincerely care to work hard and better the lives of others, and then those who just don't care. Residential is a disaster with nursing, management, and living conditions.
Workplace
Respite Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 8, 2017
Working with kids with disability from ages 3-8, and we accommodate with the ages as needs.

Working in the are, there is a training where they explain to us on what to do to make our job experience easier

It is a team effort, everyone works together.
Pros
Environment
Great Staff
Teacher's Aid (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 6, 2017
Schools environment and staff is awesome. They push to make sure the Staff are doing their job effectively. Compensation needs improvement for the hard work you got to put in.
Pros
UFT union
community outings
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 5, 2017
when we take the individuals they enjoyed going bowling, sitiing and watching the birds in the park and dancing most of all. They also enjoyed going to the store and buying things
Pros
we left third o clock on the dot
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work as a first job
TEACHERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 8, 2017
I really enjoyed working here and learned a lot. The management is very supportive but nit picky about lateness. The staff is a mix bag of supportive and not,
Good Place to work
Adult Day Services (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 20, 2017
Good Growth and Commitment to the People they support. Unique opportunities and great innovative programs that are person centered. Individuals are treated with respect at certain departments. Agency has changed its working culture and has committed to being leaders in change.
Dsp
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2017
I love the job very much lov e working who I was working I enjo the idivuals the satffs traveling the trips I love everything about this job and I have no complaints at all
Flexible
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 15, 2017
Flexible work day and times. Great work day. A place where team work is expected. There is someone to assist you if you need help. Great place to gain experience