Bloomberg BNA Employee Reviews

Had great career their until riffed.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 11, 2018
I had a good career experience. Workplace culture was good even as we transitioned from employee ownership to private ownership. Employee demographic has changed dramatically since BNA was acquired by Bloomberg. Older employees continue to retire, resign, or have been riffed and replaced with a younger demographic.
Very family oriented environment with life long friends are created
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 11, 2018
BNA started as an employee owned company prior to the merger with Bloomberg and the family oriented environment has continued. Excellent company to start a career and develop life long friends.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Parking in Arlington, Va
Ambitious company offering opportunity if you are in the right area.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 9, 2018
Ambitious company offering opportunity if you are in the right area. Specifically, the online legal research platform and news divisions have aggressive and exciting goals.
Privacy Law Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2018
Interesting job, good compensation and benefits, excellent communication with supervisors. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and would work there again.
Good people oppressed by poor management
Writer/Editor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 22, 2018
Whoever opened the door to the current management, especially upper management must be kicking themselves. The "barbarians at the gate" are now running Crystal City. It's really too bad, because it should be a good place to work, but it's not. They suck the life out of the talent they tempt in the door. The managers just look out for themselves and their "reputation" and quietly or not so quietly, get rid of anyone who doesn't cow-tow. They have a Guild, but it's basically toothless and the same poor managers are actively seeking to dismantle it. Good luck to those who remain.
Pros
Pantry w/ all day snacks and beverages. Beautiful physical environment.
Cons
Snarky, self-serving management. No team coordination or internal support. Toothless HR and Guild.
My Review
Supervisor Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 6, 2018
Once upon a time in a land far far away there was a mountain. On top of the mountain was a temple and inside the temple was a monk telling a story. Would you like to hear the story?

Once upon a time...
Micro-managers
Long-time employee (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 22, 2018
Employees are not treated with respect. You are tracked. Managers seem more interested in oral and written warnings than assisting employees in job growth. Toxic and depressing environment. It's a shell of the old BNA, which had class and character and employees were treated with respect.
Pros
Fellow colleagues & the Guild
Cons
Upper Management
high stress and unfriendly
Publications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 20, 2018
wouldn't go back, cut throat, management and new ":open floor plan" makes for a very boring, very annoying, and noisy workplace... great place to begin your professional career but get out while you can....
Pros
good location, co-workers if you're lucky
Cons
management is clueless and doesn't care about employees
Company culture changed beyond recognition after acquisition.
Editor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 18, 2018
I found my job as editor and reporter extremely rewarding until several years after the acquisition by Bloomberg LLP of BNA. BNA was an employee-owned, supportive, positive working environment.
After the acquisition, Bloomberg BNA slowly lost its previous character and changed its goals and management policies to conform with traditional Bloomberg corporate management style.
Pros
Great benefits, union protection, pantry with cappuccino machine, breakfast, fresh fruit and snacks.
Cons
intense stress, pressure to meet unrealistic employee goals, employee surveillance
Great Company
Legal Editor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 26, 2017
Working in a great atmosphere. Intelligence is highly valued. There is always something exciting happening here. The work is challenging and the management is great.
Bloomberg BNA
Payroll Tax Accountant (Contract Position) (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 2, 2017
All I can really say about this organization is that the person in which I reported was never available for referencing. From the day that I started I had to really hit the ground running. Not that I wasn't able to do it but even down to looking for a notebook I had to refer to other employees.
BNA was fun
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 30, 2017
BNA was a great place to work and had very nice benefits. Being located in DC was challenge but they have moved to Crystal City, VA and merged with Bloomberg.
Great place to work if you love technology.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 25, 2017
Bloomberg BNA was a great place to work. When I first started there in 2001, it was an employee owned company. The management as well as the employees were all good people to work with. They provided classes to assist you with your current job as well as career advancement. Later the company was sold to Bloomberg and with new capital for advanced technology a lot of jobs were abolished and I was given early retirement.
Pros
The extensive benefits.
Cons
Retirement pay is not so great.
Management style and performance greatly differs among departments
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
Each department has its own President, VP and various directors. Depending on your department, some directors have no business overseeing other staff. No weekly meetings or direction. No room for advancement.
Pros
Option to work from home option, good benefits
Cons
Poor management at Director level, poor communication between departments and parent company
Good work environment
Editor - International Tax (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 24, 2017
Bloomberg BNA offers excellent working conditions, their pantry is legendary. Work was interesting but rather routine, and for a contractor there was no promotion opportunity
Pros
Pantry, good work environment
Cons
No promotion opportunity
Open office space
Research Data Assistant, Contractor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 15, 2017
Not enough opportunities to move up
the office space was nice and my manager was really nice and also offered a lot of free food
not enough opportunities to train and gain better skills
Great Place to work, nice environment, great benefits
Credit & Collections Rep (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Bloomberg BNA. Nice work environment, they provided a full pantry of snacks for their employers. Work day was very laid back and your manager gave you the freedom work independently. The reason I left the company is due to them relocating. They moved from Bethesda, MD to Arlington, VA.
Pros
The Pantry full of snacks, healthcare, hours
Cons
short lunch breaks, commute
Great internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAAugust 3, 2017
I loved my brief time at Bloomberg BNA. I learned so much and was given the opportunity to take on many different responsibilities. Employees were very invested in intern growth.
Fun place to work great experience
IT Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 15, 2017
Worked the graveyard shift for the better part of my 25 years there,overall it was a great place to work but things drastically changed when the company was bought out by Bloomberg
Management Issues
Editor (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 13, 2017
I think Bloomberg BNA is a good company, but going through growing pains since Bloomberg acquired it.

I had difficulty working with the attorneys above me who treated my like a paralegal when my title was editor and I had a law degree.

I also did not like my manager or my co-workers. It was very impersonal and cut-throat.
Pros
Free drinks and snacks
Cons
Management and attorneys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Bloomberg BNA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight