Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Employee Reviews

Great brand but does'nt show in practice
Sr. Program Manager, Accreditation (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 7, 2018
There are several opportunities for the BCBSA to be an exceptional place to work. Management needs to devote time in revamping the culture which include management that actually knows how to produce a high reliable organization. Proper training for the leadership is essential to motivating the staff.
Good
PlanConnexion Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2018
Everyone is friendly and willing to help you to complete the internship. it's a good place to work.
- The hardest part of the job is understand how health care structure
Terrible
Actuarial Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMarch 27, 2018
Other than the salary and benefits,
I did not get any feedback as to how I was doing.
The actuarial development program was absolutely pathetic since the team treated actuarial exams like a fourth or fifth priority which is why I have stagnated on my actuarial development.
The only reason I stayed there was because of the salary and benefits otherwise I did not learn anything new other than some SAS Enterprise and Excel copy and paste.
STAY AWAY FROM BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF MISSISSIPPI.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Micro-Management, Dishonesty
Good place to work, old school culture
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2018
very traditional culture, but secure and does value your role if you believe in leadership and their goals and objectives. I would work there again. CEO is good.
Productive.
Senior Data Modeler/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2018
Its very help full working with BCBSA. When we have production failures than whole fun will come. They use tradition data ware house system. Its great working with BCBSA.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
Very Traditional
Director, Program Development, Commercial Markets (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2018
BCBSA is an okay place to work. People are fairly nice. The politics can get a little messy. Little opportunity. Okay for a certain amount of time. Then gets old.
Great first internship
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2018
Very interactive and fast paced group. Made you feel welcomed on the team and got you up to speed with how the work place would run. Gets you prepared for a corporate environment with programs and meetings.
Pros
Good starting pay, good hours, good benefits once not an intern.
Cons
N/a
Nice place to work
Sr. DevOps / Cloud Engineer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 7, 2018
Excellent place to work for individual growth and good learning curve, Sometimes long hours but over all worth it. Good benefits and compensation provided
Cool with Moderate work
senior programmer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 30, 2018
cool Job work place with moderate work and my manager is awesome very much cooperative and relaxed. it was good time to work with him. but some projects are nightmare
Work Place Environment
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 25, 2018
Lack of Moral is a Teamwork killer. Taping in to the needs of your employee is essential for the workplace. Building a strong moral in the workplace is a strong foundation.
Pros
Cons
Environment, Team work, Moral
Great place to learn about the healthcare industry
Managing Director, Strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2018
BCBSA provides a great opportunity to learn about the commercial health insurance market while also gaining appreciation for the national healthcare issues facing the country today. The company is a very large association that allows workers to gain experience in a broad array of healthcare disciplines, touching issues from relating to both government-funded and commercial health insurance business lines, brand strategy, government affairs, communications, health IT and many others.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Good work/life balance
Finance Internal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2018
only worked here for a few months. the pace was slower than what I was used to. I did work with very smart and almost always overqualified people. I would recommend
Overall a decent place to work
Office of the CIO - Business Consultant - (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 6, 2018
BCBSA was always fair to generous when it came to compensation. However, the overall culture left much to be desired. Many of the initiatives undertaken to improve the work culture, such as innovation programs, advancement, skip level meetings and such lacked substance and were more window dressing than anything else. Very difficult to move around with in the organization - you apply for a new role and wait months to get a polite, automated rejection. Day to day work varies depending on the manager you report to, but goals and objectives were often fuzzy and the onus is on the worker to seek better definition.
BCBSA work day
Datastage Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2017
It's always fun working and learning something new in this continuous learning process. The Managers here are friendly and work together. Always liked worked here.
A great working environment
policy (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 13, 2017
Fast-paced environment. Everyone is friendly and an expert at their job. The work changes everyday which keeps it exciting. People do travel a lot and telecommute a lot here.
Not Very Productive
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2017
There would be days even weeks that I would go into work and have zero task to do the entire day. I also had no time improving the jobs skills that I trained for.
Great place to work, with good people
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 24, 2017
Delivers ongoing support alongside a multidisciplinary team of 100+ representatives, receiving inbound calls from medical practitioners regarding programs and providing insight towards details and procedures.
Consistently exceeded all targeted customer service metrics through identifying client needs and providing timely and accurate responses in adherence to all regulatory standards and guidelines.
Pros
Flexable shifts
Cons
Lacks Job Security
Thumper theory
Sr. Project/Program Manager Project (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2017
I truly believe in the theory that if you can't say something nice it is likely best to remain quiet. That is the case here. I worked here for 18 months.
Productive and fun work place.
Programmer Analyst / ETL Tester (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2017
BCBS is my client place but i used to work from HP, Chicago which is really a very wonderful and lovely place to work. My team lead amd my managers were really very supportive and always filled with fun. I used to really enjoy working with HP.
Pros
Free lunches, Parties, Outings
Cons
Short breaks, Overtime Pay.
Complex organization with frequently changing prioriities
Executive Director Strategic Relationships (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2017
Good place from perspective of doing good i a commercial setting. Organization has the heft to affect critical issues in health care. not so good on people management and development.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight