Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX

Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,478 reviews
Supervisor
Manager Pharmacy Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 18, 2018
health care industry has changed over the years so it has become very cost effective, including cuts that impacts the customers and what is all covered under their plan. Many times things are not covered or they have to jump thru hoops to get the insurance to pay for medications, procedures, etc. - therefore I feel sorry for customers today. Overall, I learned many leadership skills and had opportunities to travel and help set up new office locations and train new employees. Benefits are fantastic and I'm proud to say I retired with 27 years of service....and I'm loving the pension and 401K !
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, production quality rates with high demands
Would never recommend to work
Hourly staff (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 22, 2018
To many hands on deck running the company. Always rolling out programs before they are fully ready and expected employees to still know how to use them. VP's don't keep their word...lead you to believe the company is doing ok then turn around and let hundreds of employees go....will over staff then let them go when they have to cut budget. All about numbers and making goals and not a care in the world how they do it....full of empty promises..the benefits and pay is good, but they suck you in and then let employees go....they have had a lot of staffing cuts and lay offs in the last several years..then turn around and hire new staff...its like they just can't get it together....they are constantly making major company structure changes which is stressful to staff...wouldn't recommend anyone to work here, as they don't hesitate anymore to let 100's of employees go...sad to see the company going in the direction they are going...they have cut training drastically due to cost, which puts employees on the floor to work lost and confused...but still expected to meet job expectations
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Training, job security
Loved the job and was very good at it.
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILSeptember 6, 2018
It was a very face-paced job and some days were very stressful, but you adjust and move on. Hardest part was trying to make sure all providers had a pleasant experience, of course that didn't always happen, but I'm sure they had their bad days as well. Enjoyed speaking with providers from all over the United States. Quite the experience at times. Loved all my supervisors. Great human beings they were.
benefits
Cons
couldn't please everyoneCA
Poor Work Life Balance
Various Positions Held (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 11, 2018
I loved most of the people I worked with across different departments. The downtown chicago location was great to work at during summer months due to accessibility to summer time fun.
The company culture for results no matter the cost made the turn over rate very high in all departments I worked at.
Pros
Fun employees, fun location, wellness benefits, onsite health programs.
Cons
Poor work life balance, diminishing benefits, high turnover, inflexibility, endless meetings.
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILNovember 6, 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits and great hours. Staff members are a lot of fun, there's always opportunities for advancement. No discrimination.
Pros
Fair Breaks
Cons
It's a good place to work in with benefits and living wages except quota and production required.
Medical Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 15, 2018
Generally speaking, health insurance industries have been competitive, and it's been a trend to require quota and production. In other words, there is a strong emphasis on quantity instead of quality of work.
Pros
Offered employees 'LIVING" wages and benefits.
Cons
High sress and fast paced.
Customer Advocate II
Customer Advocate II, predetermination (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILDecember 14, 2018
mangement is excellent, excellent training, meeting numbers can be difficult depending on the inquiry picked up, BCBS is has a very cultural invironment,
Pros
good pay, insurance, 401K, paid time off
Cons
a lot of over time.
Call Center, tied to your desk
Customer Advocate I (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTMay 30, 2018
It's a call center, you are tied to your desk and on the phone all day except for 30-45 minutes for lunch and don't be a minute over! Breaks are timed, if you need to use the bathroom not during your scheduled break, you have to deduct the time from your break. It's all about the stats and metrics.
If you can manage that, this is the job for you! Unfortunately it wasn't the job for me. I felt the training could have offered more content and practice. Pay and benefits are stellar! People were nice. Didn't see much of my supervisor due to pre-planned absences on her end.
I prefer customer service given face to face and I just don't like being on the phone in that capacity.
Pros
Pay, benefits, relaxed dress code
Cons
Timed breaks, call center
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 17, 2018
Very family like culture, felt like you were on one big team. The benefits were great and the amount of time off you are given is exceptional and above average for what I've encountered since leaving there.
Pros
pay/benefits/time off
Cons
stressful at times
Review Summary
RN Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 27, 2018
I really enjoy my job, the work culture is amazing, the benefits are awesome and I have great work life balance. My manager is awesome and we have great team work.

Want to know more about Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX?

Ask a question
Very cut throat
Grievance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2018
Pays well, the culture is very cut throat amongst the employees applying for a position within the company is horrible.
No loyalty, very up tight angry
Pros
Salary
Cons
Very cut throat
Stable company
Corporate Underwriting and Transitions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILAugust 6, 2018
Ok place to work. I don't have a lot to say about this It is an OK place to work at. The promotional opportunities are poor. Nothing much has changed
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Promotional opportunities limited.
Director - Web Self Service Application (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
Loved working at BCBSIL. It allowed me to grow. I had tons of promotional opportunities. The management team provided support and coaching. We had Great benefits.
claims dept
Claims Examiner/Medical Billing (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 24, 2018
Very micro-managed, every time your hand leaves the keyboard it is tracked by the company. That tracking system is sent to a report which your supervisor will go over with you if you move your hands off keyboard too many times.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
compensation
The best education of the health industry you can get
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 28, 2018
A excellent company to work for provided you avoid the Chicago Mac dept. Mgmt was not the greatest when I work there my dept was RIF to The Chgo Mac Dept
Pros
office setting Benefits education of HCSC
Cons
the union is not the best
A good place to work.
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 5, 2018
Learned a lot here. The training is great most of the time. The benefits are awesome and only have few complaints about this company. BCBS of New Mexico is a great company.
Service Team Member II (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTJuly 9, 2018
The job kept me very busy and could require overtime. It was hard to be promoted within the company though as they offered hired out of the company. I worked in Employee Benefits and did group billing and added new employees for my groups.
Pros
Fun work environment, fast paced
Cons
Small raises, not very good benefits
Blue Cross Blue Sheild downtown Chicago was a good place to work.
Claims Processor/Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2018
It was my first corporate job and for 9 years I met and befriended lots of people and strengthen my clerical skills and gained administrative training.
Pros
Good job with great benefits
Cons
Cant complain
Food work life bal
HEALTH COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  RICHARDSON, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Good, good benefits, work from home, focused on consumers and giving back to community. Has a great deal of concern for employees and big on inclusion and diversity.
Customer Advocate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 26, 2018
I learned how to multitask, I learned a lot about insurance billing and payment of claims. I learned how to work as a team and individually. I was able to train other customer advocates once I was fully trained. I always felt like my opinion mattered.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
sitting for long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about