Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX

Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,466 reviews
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 17, 2018
Very family like culture, felt like you were on one big team. The benefits were great and the amount of time off you are given is exceptional and above average for what I've encountered since leaving there.
Pros
pay/benefits/time off
Cons
stressful at times
The actual job itself is fine, however, see below...
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 12, 2018
So, this company has essentially blocked me from contacting them to provide me my own personal employment information from when I was employed with them. It was a very long and tedious process that did nothing for me, that only ended just very recently within the last 2 weeks. I will recommend not doing business with a company that does that to its previous employees.
Loved the job and was very good at it.
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Marion, ILSeptember 6, 2018
It was a very face-paced job and some days were very stressful, but you adjust and move on. Hardest part was trying to make sure all providers had a pleasant experience, of course that didn't always happen, but I'm sure they had their bad days as well. Enjoyed speaking with providers from all over the United States. Quite the experience at times. Loved all my supervisors. Great human beings they were.
benefits
Cons
couldn't please everyoneCA
The best education of the health industry you can get
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 28, 2018
A excellent company to work for provided you avoid the Chicago Mac dept. Mgmt was not the greatest when I work there my dept was RIF to The Chgo Mac Dept
Pros
office setting Benefits education of HCSC
Cons
the union is not the best
Review Summary
RN Utilization Review (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 27, 2018
I really enjoy my job, the work culture is amazing, the benefits are awesome and I have great work life balance. My manager is awesome and we have great team work.
Great health insurance company
Consultant, Cost of Care Strategy (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2018
At my time at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois (HCSC) there were many opportunities to learn about health insurance from the 4th largest health insurance company in the country.
It's a good place to work in with benefits and living wages except quota and production required.
Medical Review Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 15, 2018
Generally speaking, health insurance industries have been competitive, and it's been a trend to require quota and production. In other words, there is a strong emphasis on quantity instead of quality of work.
Pros
Offered employees 'LIVING" wages and benefits.
Cons
High sress and fast paced.
very productive work environment
General clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2018
i enjoyed doing data entry and medical billing. I sorted incoming mail, distribute it to the correct departments for processing. I also processed medical billing claims as well via a data entry data base.
Pros
good environment
Cons
temp position only
Blue Cross Blue Sheild downtown Chicago was a good place to work.
Claims Processor/Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 13, 2018
It was my first corporate job and for 9 years I met and befriended lots of people and strengthen my clerical skills and gained administrative training.
Pros
Good job with great benefits
Cons
Cant complain
Good place, albeit can be stressful
Customer Advocate I (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 12, 2018
If you can handle high stress and argumentative callers, this is the job for you. Pay and benefits for my area are great. Very diverse atmosphere. Non discriminatory
Productive and fast pace
Customer Advocate I (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXAugust 11, 2018
Great place to work just have to be willing to learn systems and guidelines. The benefits are great as well. You are limited to unpaid time off per year, but paid time off is given every paycheck.
I love working at Blue Cross Blue Shield
Developmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILAugust 10, 2018
This company cares greatly for their employees and treats them all well and equal. There are so many opportunities to learn and advance with this company.
Pros
Promoting from within
Love this job
Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 10, 2018
It was a great company to work for. They had flawless training, stability, and a caring leadership staff. I would recommend this job to anyone looking for a great company to grown with.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Couldn't relocate
Day to Day
Assist the member (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 10, 2018
At work you were to clock in and stay at your desk taking calls. If you over used your personal time off the phone then you would have to wait until you had a break or lunch to use the restroom. They have no sick leave so when you or a child is sick or in an accident or anything else and you have to be out of work they give you an occurence when you reach a certain amount you are put on a warning. They don't have exceptions. Even when you try and schedule time off it is an act of congress to get a day off unless it is like 2 months in advance.
The are unfair about who gets special projects off the phone. If you are good at something and this is included in the project but they see your good on the phones too you never get projects. As well if you are a kiss up to your boss you'll get special treatment.
Pros
Pay is good.
Cons
Hard to be promoted to other departments.
Fast paced
Behavior health advocate II (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 9, 2018
Good place to work, always professional.
I learned a lot about behavior health.
My only concerned was too many system to be toggled for one question.
Pros
Great attitudes.
Cons
Systems
Director - Web Self Service Application (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2018
Loved working at BCBSIL. It allowed me to grow. I had tons of promotional opportunities. The management team provided support and coaching. We had Great benefits.
Stable company
Corporate Underwriting and Transitions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILAugust 6, 2018
Ok place to work. I don't have a lot to say about this It is an OK place to work at. The promotional opportunities are poor. Nothing much has changed
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Promotional opportunities limited.
Productive workplace
Underwriter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILAugust 6, 2018
While I was there, I learned at a fast paced environment, but it was not the career I was seeking as a recent college grad. I recommend it for anyone who is seeking underwriting.
Great Company
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 6, 2018
I love being an employee of BCBS. I have always felt appreciated and I feel that when a company appreciates its employees the employees treat the customer/member better,
Pros
Benefits, Employee appreciation, help the community
Mired in Path Dependence
Corporate IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2018
HCSC was a great example of a bureaucracy that has gotten too big to be effective or efficient.

Employees had no opportunity to contribute with their ideas and management really had little chance to bring about helpful changes. The success of HCSC lies in their upper levels and their ability to set effective premiums in the market. It had little to do with allowing IT to be an efficient or flexible organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of IL, MT, NM, OK & TX. Our community is ready to answer.