Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Quiet, Relaxed Atmosphere
Data Analyst, MS Access Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2019
Open office format exceedingly quiet as workers are reluctant to disturb others. They also isolate themselves with headphones or take conversations to available meeting rooms. Sort of the complete opposite of the sales pitch that open office proponents push.
Pros
Respectful and trustful management
Cons
Long, detailed hiring process
Soul crushing
Medicare Markets Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJanuary 29, 2019
I worked in member service, which required an 18 month commitment before being able to leave the role. You’ll immediately notice that many reps have been there doing the same thing for years. In over 3 years i saw about 3 people move out of the member service rep role and either into another role in the department or another role in another department. Most people just leave. Opportunities for advancement exists at the company but member service seems to be a dead end different story.

The yearly bonuses and raises were great but often didn’t amount to much and would vary greatly from year to year. I never felt they matched my performance or team performance.

Jockeying for vacation time is a nightmare. Seniority will get you days on and around holidays etc. while everyone else’ requests will get denied.

Member service is treated like a step-child of the company. Days off aren’t the same and they even don’t let them fully participate in company wide initiatives like service day ( a day dedicated to company wide volunteering).

The health insurance offered as apart of the benefit package is expensive, especially considering we all work at the company providing the insurance coverage.

Training is comprehensive yet insufficient and you’ll find yourself thrown in the deep end way sooner than you feel comfortable and confident.

If you introduce yourself to 10 people, 8 of them will be related. Nepotism at its finest is engrained in company culture.

This is a very old company that views itself with great prestige, so things don’t change. Upper management just sticks
  more... to what they know and innovation is nil.

Overtime is offered during open enrollement, but you’ll hardly want to stay for even an extra minute. The stress will never be worth the few extra dollars. Meanwhile they’ll push calls to you seconds before you’re to log out, essentially forcing you into overtime.

This job will give you nighmares. Seep into your dreams and into your being. The place is poison. I’ve never been so depressed in my life. The kicker? I could barely afford the copays to see a therapist on my salary, or get the time off. Zero work life balance.

HR is terrible at resolving anything. They are slow with poor responses. I often wished I worked there since they obviously got away with doing nothing all day.

Very high volume call center. If comeone calls and says they meant to call comcast, you’re expected to connect them with Comcast. You spend half your day just catering to the whims of the elderly members.

The managers and supervisors provide zero support. Member are allowed to mistreat you in every way unimaginable and no one will have your back.

Break times are short with a 40 minute lunch and 10 or 15 minute break. You’re expected to keep personal time to 5 minutes a day. This translates to having to plan bathroom breaks down to the second. If you’re back mere seconds late from a break you’re chastised like a child. Or if you take more than like 3 minutes the supervisors start messaging to ‘see if everything is ok’. You get weekly reports on ‘lost minutes’, and yes, they round those seconds up to minutes. They often also will schedule your break and lunch within the same half of your shift, leaving you sitting at you desk for 5 hours at a time with no break.

Working from home is great, but they’ll have you drive in for a day at the office for a 15 minute meeting. The pay isn’t different either, so while your electricity and heat bill rises due to your being home all day, the company pats themselves on the back for providing you with basic home office equipment. Get this - they provide you with a router and modem and ‘pay’ for the internet service however you have to already be a comcast customer so that they can like piggyback off of your service.

You’re not treated as a person, but as the number of calls you take in a day.

My advice is to enjoy training as its the only time in your career at BCBS that you’ll have a moment to breathe in your work day. Get to know the ppl you are training with. Their support and camaraderie with be invaluable.

Be wary of people who seem all too happy in this role - they tend to have friends and relatives in management and are more apart of their team than yours.
Pros
You’ll probably meet some great people and make lasting friendships
Cons
Everything about the job and atmosphere
Was a long time ago
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 8, 2019
I worked there over 30 years ago and I am sure it is different now than back then. When I was there it was a good place to work but a lot of things were still manual back then and desktop computers were just starting to come on line.
Great if on innovation team
Designer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 30, 2018
The innovation team is fairly young and we have a small flat hierarchy- compared to the rest of the company, we work drastically different. Certain teams like digital and marketing are pretty fast and innovative, but my experience working with other areas of the company have been very corporate and slow. I enjoy working there with the mission of helping people afford and receive the care they need, but sometimes it feels as though that mission is lost.
Pros
Great cafeteria, benefits
Cons
Hierarchy
Productive and balanced work place
Mailroom Supervisor, Mail Services Dept. (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 20, 2018
Health care management, technology lots of changes over the years. You got the flexible time in order to take care your family if there things needed tobe done at home.
Productive and fun workplace with team spirit
Behavioral Health Utilization Manager (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MANovember 11, 2018
I really enjoyed my employment with BCBSMA! I felt supported by management. There was a strong focus on work-life balance and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie.
Pros
Exercise and meditation classes while at work, healthy food in the cafe, great benefits
great place to work
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
Overall great place to work, but work culture is a bit stressful because I don't think people love their jobs. People don't seem to have many opportunities to improve systems. It's a job, that's all.
Pros
discount lunches, great medical
Cons
too many systems to go through and processes to get stuff done, not very efficient
Good company to work for
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 16, 2018
Great Company to work for if you are raising a family most area's have flexible hours. Most area's also offer a remote working arrangement. They have three different locations
it is ok
Inter Plan Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAAugust 22, 2018
you come in and do your job and also you can work from home which I like to do it is stressful doing the work and it get done .
sometime you have to go into the office for meeting it break up the day
Pros
i like the hours
Good Company for long term employment
HEDIS Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAAugust 15, 2018
A very professional workplace. New projects are offered regularly.
Reference workflow material is readily available for assistance in performing the job.
Pros
Recognition for hard work and meeting deadlines
Cons
Very difficult to become a permanent employee
Good place to work with great people
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 13, 2018
Great benefits and people at this company. Many employees spend a long time, if not their whole career, at the company. Advancement options are good up to a certain level and culture is shifting to be more collaborative and innovative.
Care Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 6, 2018
Great place to start career - excellent benefits and the company invests in their associates.. benefits such as company garden, wellness center, farmers markets, ride sharing and biking incentives, career development classes
Supportive and mission driven
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for BCBS. They are very passionate about diversity and inclusiveness. Plenty of opportunities for employees to join various employee resource groups. Great pay and benefits too!
Great for a day
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 29, 2018
Blue Cross was great until you couldn't move forward in your position or when there was very evidently clicks. I felt left out a majority of the time and was very frustrated. Very hard job as customer service and so hard to move to different department.
Pros
employee days
Cons
no advancement
not a competitive salary
Communicated as the liaison (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJuly 25, 2018
Decent perks like discounts with vendors and reimbursement for gym membership and exercise equipment. Employees are not adequately compensated for the amount of work and the stressful environment. Too many people on the management level which causes confusion and inconsistency.
Excellent Progressive Company
Employee Relations and Compliance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJuly 11, 2018
I enjoyed my employment at BCBSMA, i had a great career for many years. I had a serious accident in 2016, and since I was a key independent contributor my position was filled after 6 months.. I have made a full recovery and 100% ready to return to a full time challenging role. Management is supportive and the culture is open and progressive. The hardest part of the job was balancing a high work load, but I enjoyed what I did and do not see that as a negative. The most enjoyable part of my job was building strong relationships with co-workers and the employee population.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
none that stand out
Provider Services Representative (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 7, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job learning new skills for when speaking to providers. The hardest part of the job is when the call volume is high. Is it a call center
Pros
Awesome Cafe
Cons
short breaks
billing
Enrollment Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 27, 2018
answering phone calls in a timely manner trying to answer everyone question. billing and coding peoples insurance making sure there insurance is covered. ect
Great place to grow career skills
Pharmacy Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hingham, MAJune 18, 2018
The company is like a big family who really cares and put the member first always. they understand the necessary balance for work and life and help and offer programs/reimbursement to ensure everyone gets help.
Bcbs of ma
Medicare Advantage Temporary Associate (Former Employee) –  Hingham, MAJune 1, 2018
They don't really treat temps with much respect at BCBS. We were replaceable. They had us stuffing envelopes and alphabetizing patient files. There were no new skills learned other than typing quickly and getting basic knowledge about Medicare Advantage applications through BCBS.
Cons
Short breaks, Favoritism, Micro-management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.2InHerSight Score

4.2Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

4.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight