Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employee Reviews

Clerk
Group Billing Provider Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 13, 2018
A typical day for me was the same old thing. Very mundane work load for myself. My 10 year niece can do what I do. Not my ideal place to work. Management is very micro managing. I feel like if BCBSM can't trust their employees then don't be in business.
Pros
no pros just cons on top of cons
Cons
micro manages everything you do.
Claims
Clerk (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 10, 2018
Processed health claims for the auto departments with in the State of Michigan. Also help process the national claims. Made sure the claims was right
Slow paced, stuck in their ways, good learning experience
Organizational Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2018
The job was a great learning experience. But once you learn everything you can the job is very redundant. Director level and above seem to be very happy with the rest of the organization slow moving and just trying to get to their retirement date.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Slow paced, no room for advancement
Very productive and rewarding.
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 6, 2018
Serving the public is a great opportunity to better the communities in which it serves. Healthcare is an opportunity to educate the community and work hand in hand with providers to ensure the best quality healthcare for all patient's. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan pays a lot of claims to help its customers.
Pros
Flexible working hours.
Cons
Short breaks and low pay.
Very colorful environment
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 6, 2018
A call center can be very busy; in order to counter that management created friendly competitions, rewards for performance and many different fun projects like pajama day or pizza day etc...
Pros
Free lunches`
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Place to Work
Claims Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2018
The benefits and time off are great. If you do your job you'll do great. Not working in customer service makes the job less stressful. The communication between departments could be better.
Excellent Company to work for.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 29, 2018
Blue Cross Blue shield is a world class company with world class benefits. Improvements can be made in terms of work life balance and promotional opportunities.
A summary of working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
Technician Intern (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 28, 2018
I arrived in at 8 am each day. The first 30 minutes I observe to organize my schedule, answer emails, and prepare any talking points for meetings occurring that day. I may 2 -3 meetings a day usually are a minimum of an hour length. Also, will spend a considerable portion of my day working with the team on various research projects to help to improve the department.

I have learned many things while working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Some of these include: Aiding in department campaigns, Assigned to projects, both departmental wide and company wide where I had to conduct research, gather the data to create a presentation and present solutions to leadership.

The workplace culture at Blue Cross Blue Shield is a fun environment that allows for employees to engage in communication whether working on projects staying informed on news and updates within the company.

The hardest part of my job is not being able to answer a question of clarification because I didn't have enough experience to provide the right question because short time with the role.

The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things, having the support of upper leadership for training and upcoming questions, and getting the satisfaction from my accomplishments.
Pros
Growth opportunities, Communication within the company and Workplace culture
Good company
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 23, 2018
A lot of great benefits for employees as well as learning opportunities. It's a company that believes in employee development by offering training and seminars throughout the year. They also keep employees aware of any company changes.
Flexible
Medicare Advantage Enrollment Oversight - Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 9, 2018
Flexible work schedule. Have the ability to work remotely when needed. Fun work environment. Room for advancement within the organization. Tuition reimbursement.
Good place to work mostly
COMPLIANCE BUSINESS UNIT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 1, 2018
Management is overly aggressive and sometimes encourages dysfunctional working environments due to constant reorganization, downsizing and internal managerial competition
Pros
Fantastic benefits
Cons
Uncertain job security
It was a good job
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 23, 2018
I felt like the workers there were helpful and my manger and supervisors made it helpful for me to get into the ease of the work. The environment was good and the environment was enjoyable downtown.
BCBSM Has Changed much over the years
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48226June 21, 2018
The company has changed very much since I began. It was more familial now it's definitely more corporate with much more employee changeover. It still has amazing people and a good culture. It has had to be responsive to the changing industry and has done so well. That industry responsiveness is what drives the changes.
Good place to work, but difficult management
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 18, 2018
I really liked the people I worked with and enjoyed the work, but there was a lack of clear management. Additionally, although the benefits were great, the pay was a bit lower than at other jobs I had held.
Very good company to work for
Senior Web Developer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2018
Job Work/Life Balance is good.
Compensation/Benefits is good.
Job Security/Advancement is good.
Management is good.
Job Culture is good.
Benefits are good including health insruance.
nice
Operator Technician (Current Employee) –  new hudsonJune 14, 2018
"A lot of flexibility in work hours and management takes work/life balance seriously" (in 30 reviews)

"Good company with great benefits and decent pay" (in 53 reviews)

Cons

"Work/life balance at least 2-3 days per week if possible" (in 16 reviews)

"pay, politics,little work from home flexibility" (in 10 reviews
A Typical Day
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 31, 2018
When a person works for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, there are many different tasks to complete within the work week. There are many opportunities for growth and upward mobility. The benefits are outstanding and include dental, vision, 401K, as well as health insurance. The people have a genuine caring attitude.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Insurance industry has a lot of red tape
A pleasant place to work, learn and advance
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 22, 2018
Always had new challenges, and the resources to meet those challenges. If you wanted to excel, the opportunities were available. Working from home was available if required.
Great working enviroment
Sr. Auditor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 22, 2018
More work and less employees to complete. Compensation and benefits are great. Company seems to have a large number of upper management making decisions with very little employee input.
I worked through a contractor for BCBSM
Non-Licensed Health Insurance Advisor (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIMay 16, 2018
They were just starting a new contract and all the kinks had not been worked out. I think things would have been a lot better if it were more organized, It wasn't all bad. Was just time for me to advance in my career.
Pros
Managers were willing to work with schedule.
Cons
Unorganized due to being fairly new contractand the pay.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight