Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Employee Reviews

BCBSM review
Operations Technical SME/Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 21, 2018
Working at BCBSM was a great Opportunity in both the IT team and with the Medicare Advantage team. Very open communications with management and great working environment.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
layoffs
Positive workplace, great coworkers, great managers, teamwork stressed, customers first, great incentives and positive feedback for project outcomes.
RN Case Manager Professional Services (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 20, 2018
Coworkers were very personable and professional and worked as a team. Learned many new skills in handling patient benefits and claims, great communication and rapport with patients and helped to facilitate their care and management post hospital. Scheduled appointments with clients and family members and conducted team meetings to help provide them with the best available resources to meet their needs. Wrote summaries and reports and met with vendors and DME specialists. Attended project meetings with coworkers to improve policies and protocol and provide consistency within our department. Helped to create forms and guidelines to ensure efficiency and measurement of outcomes. Established good rapport via good communication skills on the phone and meetings in person with clients and family members. Contacted physician offices and helped to get necessary doctor's orders, prescriptions and documentation to facilitate medical care for home patients transitioning from hospital or rehab to home. The hardest part of the job was learning benefit packages, and completing a great deal of paperwork.
Pros
Positive workplace, service to clents and family, great managers, great team. created changes, learned new aspect of health care management, ideas were heard, impacted improvments within department.
Cons
Great amount of paperwork and documentation.
Good Company
Manager, Hospital Contracting (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 18, 2018
Good company with good leadership Great people that believe in the mission of the company. Pay is fair. Attempts to cater to employees and good work/life balance.
very good company to work
Sr. Information Security Consultant/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 17, 2018
very good company to work. I learned a lot here thru trainings and attending seminars and boot camps. flexible working hours and very good work culture.
Great opportunity
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 15, 2018
Great opportunity - I was able to work my way up to leadership in 10 years. Company provides a good benefit package in addition to salary. Office is centrally located.
Great People
Customer Services Representative IV (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49503September 8, 2018
In the coarse of 18+ years at Blue Cross Blue Shield of MI, I have learned more about insurance than I ever thought possible. Being there has helped me understand also the importance of trust and loyalty. If I didn't trust the people I work with and for, I would not have stayed for 18 years.
Benefits
Cons
Politics
Productive and Growing Environment
Quality Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 7, 2018
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is a company all about growth and productivity. There is no wasted time and you will be kept busy. As a contract worker you are treated as second class and will not be compensated fairly and may occasionally feel you are viewed negatively.
Pros
Many different departments to learn from
Cons
A lack of career advancement for contract workers
Micromanged
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 3, 2018
Overall the company is nice to work for- great benefits. It is part of the UAW- and how the company is ran reflects this. In the call centers hard to make advancements unless you are willing to move to Detroit, MI. Even then interviews are slim unless you know the right person. Centers are very micro managed.
Good Teamwork
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 2, 2018
It was an atmosphere of caring and helping one another achieve the goals for the company. The people that you work with make it a pleasure to be at work.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Micro management
Very positive place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 30, 2018
A typical day at work which could began as early as 6:00 am as there was always overtime. I learned how to write letters, interpret meanings as the training period for this position was three (3) months and you were only allowed to be off if you were in the hospital or passed away. The workplace culture was amazing for there was always someone of stature presenting employees with great knowledge of ways to advance. The hardest part of the job was the hours as I had two young girls that were in school and in school activities, however I made it work. The most enjoyable part of my time there were the perks, discounts just being an employee. It was to me a company that only wanted you to advance, which meant you had to be there doing what you were trained to do and it made a big difference. Your work did not go unnoticed and you were promoted according to your attention to your position and being at your job.
Pros
You were compensated for the work you performed
Cons
Overtime!1
Great place to begin a career
Business Application Developer Advanced (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 25, 2018
I began my career out of college at BCBSM and it allowed me to develop many crucial skills that have allowed me to move up in the company. The company offers many opportunities to grow your skillset.
Bad training
Customer Service Representative II (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 23, 2018
Horrible ethics and knowledge on training mgmt. Taking inbound phone calls from customers to seek benefits from bcbs. I learned how benefits work and the language as far as benefits are concerned.
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Horrible training methods
Good big company. Many areas with terrible management
Assistant Manager/Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 17, 2018
It is sad that such big company with so much potential has built a culture that promotes leaders from friendship and no results. You will find Directors with no managers under them, managers with zero skills and all there because they know somebody. They are currently under administrative savings but a Director promoted 3 friends in the area making someone else lose her job. You will see a lot of lies and deceit that goes way beyond office politics. Again, great company, bad management at several areas.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Clerk
Group Billing Provider Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 13, 2018
A typical day for me was the same old thing. Very mundane work load for myself. My 10 year niece can do what I do. Not my ideal place to work. Management is very micro managing. I feel like if BCBSM can't trust their employees then don't be in business.
Pros
no pros just cons on top of cons
Cons
micro manages everything you do.
very good benefits and opportunity for advancement if you network
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 13, 2018
very good benefits and opportunity for advancement if you network
I have no idea what else you want me to say abut Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan.
Claims
Clerk (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 10, 2018
Processed health claims for the auto departments with in the State of Michigan. Also help process the national claims. Made sure the claims was right
Slow paced, stuck in their ways, good learning experience
Organizational Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 7, 2018
The job was a great learning experience. But once you learn everything you can the job is very redundant. Director level and above seem to be very happy with the rest of the organization slow moving and just trying to get to their retirement date.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Slow paced, no room for advancement
Very productive and rewarding.
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 6, 2018
Serving the public is a great opportunity to better the communities in which it serves. Healthcare is an opportunity to educate the community and work hand in hand with providers to ensure the best quality healthcare for all patient's. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan pays a lot of claims to help its customers.
Pros
Flexible working hours.
Cons
Short breaks and low pay.
Very colorful environment
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIAugust 6, 2018
A call center can be very busy; in order to counter that management created friendly competitions, rewards for performance and many different fun projects like pajama day or pizza day etc...
Pros
Free lunches`
Cons
Short Breaks
Great Place to Work
Claims Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2018
The benefits and time off are great. If you do your job you'll do great. Not working in customer service makes the job less stressful. The communication between departments could be better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight