Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

Not the wellbeing one would expect
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 9, 2018
Promotes within which is good, doesn't train those going into roles. Problem manager's is the problem of staff, HR doesn't want to hear it. Unhealthy environment. Financial instability and not good moral for the benefits.

Male to Female salary discrepancies, impossible to prove but known.
Pros
Lifetime friendships
Cons
Hypocrites
Loved working for Blue Cross & Blue Shiled of RI, their Human Resourse Department was one of a kind.
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandNovember 3, 2018
Positions at Blue Cross & Blue Shield encourage individuals to work and think on their own. They encourage independent thinking and working skills. Human Resources always working with their employees to encourage a better work environment.
Pros
Works very hard with employees to resolve any issues employees may have
Cons
Some times communication skills would be lacking
Not recommended, very low morale, very clicky
Team Leader Grievance and Appeals (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 26, 2018
You can find a great job at the same salary and benefits but with much less stress. If you do choose to accept employment with them be sure to get in with popular management and stay on their good side. Cross the wrong person and you will be boxed into your role possibly let go.
Pros
Decent pay, good experience
Cons
High Stress, limited career advancement
Structured and supportive
Case Specialist & Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 20, 2018
Structured. When I worked at BCBSRI, I understood what was expected of me and I received appropriate training to do my job right. They had nice benefit offerings that was very family friendly. There was a lot of changes over the years. I left because I received my Masters in Clinical Social work. Unfortunately, they did not have advancement opportunities for me at the time. What I appreciate the most was support I received from supervisors over my 14+ years of service with them, and help with my tuition. I experienced career growth with multiple internal promotions during my years with them. I would consider working for this company again.
Pros
Structured and supportive work environment
Cons
Limited parking
Fun place to work
Various Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RI 02903September 8, 2018
I enjoyed this company and worked my way up through a variety of promotions. I was here for a long time and didn't intend to leave, they eliminated my position while i was home on maternity leave.
Pros
Cons
in the city, no parking, very expensive parking only available
Amazing Place to be!
CC (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 30, 2018
This was an amazing job. I loved the company culture, benefits, and salary. This organization gives an opportunity to whoever will go after what they want!
Pros
Gourmet food, salary, and being downtown!
Cons
Bau
Good company but understaffed
Director of Provider Network Contracting (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 26, 2018
Great pay and benefits but understaffed with little job security. Great perks including gym on site as well as a very good cafeteria. Better communication between management ant front line staff would be helpful.
Good company with little room to grow
Health Service Management (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 14, 2018
The company culture was good and there was a great focus on giving back to the community.
EXCELLENT training program for the Member and Provider call centers.

Drawbacks: little room for advancement and management needed more training.
Pros
Community Outreach, Employee Engagement
Cons
Management Team
Daily
Customer and Provider Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandApril 13, 2018
I currently work on the Medicare Concierge Team and I am required to be available at the start of my shift to assist with the customers needs. You must be ready to handle issues from billing to pharmacy
Pros
great staff
Great benefits, tough culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 11, 2018
I am not interested in providing detailed review. I learned a lot about office politics and watched those be rewarded who were the biggest violators of the corporate values.
Mixed Feelings
Account Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 29, 2018
BCBSRI was a good place to start a career. I started in Customer Service and received an opportunity in Operations a few years later. There were a number of other advancement opportunities but unfortunately my position was outsourced with the majority of the operations department.
Pros
Advancement, career coaching, benefits
Cons
Sales friendly company
Good people, industry is much to regulated difficult to make real change.
Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 23, 2018
While at BCBCRI (over 8 years ago) they were going through extensive layoffs and change in leadership so I cant speak to the current corporate culture or tone.
Too many corporate reorganizations
Product Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 18, 2018
I worked with this company for five years. Things started off great. Three years in, I go through two corporate reorganizations in less than a year. I was stuck in a position that did not fill my skill set. I was fired due to the depression it put me in.
Stressful environment
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 8, 2018
Terrible company to work for. Very, very stressful environment and they definitely do not treat their employees well. I was happy to go out on maternity leave. They let me go do to my FMLA time being used up, but I was happy to go.
Health Insurance Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandFebruary 12, 2018
Being able to work in a local downtown established company was very promising. The stress that came with dealing with health insurance related calls all day while following very stringent and legally obligated documentation is overwhelming.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 8, 2018
My job at Blue Cross/Blue Shield was everything I had dreamed of! It was fast paced and very challenging. However, my husband had gotten a job promotion to another part of the country, so I had to leave this job. I consider it such a great learning tool, tools that I still use today.
Good Job
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 6, 2018
This is a good job. When i was first hired they did a lot for their employees. They used to have weekly strolls through the call center and give little goodies out to the representatives. It was nice and made us feel appreciated.
Pros
Decent pay a d benefits
Cons
Moving location of call center
Great company to work for.
Delegate Oversight Analyst (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 25, 2018
Flexible work hours, able to work from home. They really encourage volunteering with in the community. I have learned a lot in the few years I have been there.
Pros
great food with a few great healthy options for lunch
Cons
paying to park
Your experience working at BCBSRI really depends on your supervisor.
Individual Contributor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 21, 2018
The supervisor or manager that you report to really makes or breaks your experience working here. I have had both good and not-so-good managers and it has definitely affected my view of the company. Benefits are great, but compensation is low compared to comparable positions elsewhere.
Workplace culture
Project Manager - Client Operations (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 2, 2018
BCBSRI has an ever changing work environment due to the ever changing work climate that exists today in the Healthcare industry. Many changes have occurred and must have the systems and ability to change and adapt quickly. Typical work day is structured and focused around servicing our clients to the best of our ability both interally and externally, and doing whatever it takes to achieve the highest possible outcome.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight