Blue Cross Blue Shield Employee Reviews

41.8K
31.1K
Found 5,479 reviews matching the search See all 5,531 reviews
overview
Membership Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNMay 14, 2018
speaking with customers about their plans, enrolling members, and cancellations. most days were busy and management was always there to help. Learning how to speak with upset customers and how to resolve rising issues.
Pros
monthly free lunches, no micromanaging
Cons
short breaks and little benefits
Overall A Great Work Place
Intake Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 14, 2018
A great work place but advancement is still based on who you know or who you are! The benefit package is good but the pay rate is low if you are not extra friendly or on the pet list with the right manager or supervisor. Education, how hard you work, experience, or a decent pay raise is not what get you promoted. If you don't have family working there or if you don't kiss up to the right people you will be left in the wind! And I can only speak for Louisiana Blue Cross. So if you get in the door, just make friends with upper management, supervisors, and pray they like you as well. Also, don't be kind or friendly with someone they dislike because if so, your chance just went out the window.
Pros
Great holiday paid time off schedule, paid insurance if it's just you
Cons
Who you know for promotion puts a clause on diversity for advancement
Good opportunity for personal growth in a company determined to succeed
Director of Marketing and Communications (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 13, 2018
This is a company that has strong relationships with customers and community. Employees tend to stay for many years. Because its so large, its hard to generalize the culture. Corporately, they care about their values and put in place structures to support them. The business can be complicated, and can be political. There's much good momentum here and some really great people.
loved this job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Flint, TXMay 12, 2018
this company was so great got the best knowledge and traingin to further my carreer, staff was very professional and nice to work with, most comfortable job all around
awesome
Account executive for Blue Cross Blue shields (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 11, 2018
it was a amazing to work with a company that trains you well and in the end pays what they promised, they answer the phones quickly and professionally very good standards and products. I really enjoy working for them, I will do it again.
Temporary Work
Enrollment and Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 11, 2018
Working there was fine. It was a temporary job. Training was conflicting at times but other than that, team leaders were more helpful than management.
Great Place to work
Provider Consultant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 11, 2018
I worked for Blue Cross of Michigan for over 22 years. They paid for my degree and provided fantastic benefits. Great work live balance. It is a great place to work.
Very fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMay 11, 2018
Blue shield is a great place to work, from the employees to the employers. They have a very extensive training program, so you have the knowledge you need to provide excellent customer service.
Nice professional working environment
Enrollment Representative (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 11, 2018
Great safe and secure working environment. Very professional and quiet location. Great staff and mangement to work with. Management was very nice and imformative. Worked in a nice quiet location and clean cubicles. Work environment was a great place to focus and get the job done.
Pros
cafeteria on site, choice in break time
Cons
too quiet sometimes.
Strong company looking to innovate
Director, IT Infrastructure & Governance (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 11, 2018
Strong benefits
Competitive compensation
Very diverse workforce
Nice on-site cafeterias
Excellent work-life balance
Limited opportunities for internal advancement
Too many meetings with more focus on talking than doing
Pros
Company's financial strength, benefits, and work/life balance
Cons
Too many layers, consensus decision making model leads to delays and aggravation, and lack of career advancement opportunities
Day
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2018
It was great to work there. The facility was amazing. The cafe had great food. The management was really nice. It was really family orientated. and there was plenty of free food
Dependable and supportive workplace
IT/ BRM Manager I (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2018
work life balance encouraged
values employee feedback and input
focuses on the customer needs
diversity celebrated
endless opportunities for advancement
great place to work
MEDICARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 9, 2018
Love it, it was a temporary job, I wish I got hired permanently, the people were great, and I learn a lot about what I want to do with my career. The environment was fast pace and had to be quick to solve problems.
Excellent company to work for
Database Developer/ Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 9, 2018
Worked there under a contract and unfortunately was unable to continue working there due to off loading of the work I performed to a subsidiary company.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield was a wonderful place to work
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD 21045May 9, 2018
My typical day at work would start with the patients coming in to be seen by the doctor. I worked in the front office or in the phone room. I would check in the patient, update and check their insurance, and collect the copay. I gained the knowledge of insurances, copays, and patient health plans.

Working in the phone room I made appointments for the doctors and the physician assistant. I took notes for the doctors and the PA and any other questions or concerns they may have had. I would sometimes set up the charts for the day which required arriving earlier in the morning.

The atmosphere was pleasant and we all got along with one another. Management was efficient. There were evaluations and you were evaluated on phone etiquette, helpful information, tone, and overall conversation.
Pros
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Brand
Cons
Double Dip
Great
Lead Customer Service and Claims (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 8, 2018
Great Job and great opportunities I loved it and wish i still worked there but they outsourced overseas and I did not like that part of the job unfortunately it was not an option to stay
Nice Place to Work
Intake Specialists (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 8, 2018
Enjoyed working for Blue Cross Blue Shield. Company took care of their employees. Nice place to eat. Had a place to work out on the first floor. Their training was excellent.
Pros
Building
Cons
Some management was snappy
Fun place to work
Claim Processor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 8, 2018
I enjoy working there. The people on my team are awesome however I'm not being compensated for the amount of work that I do. The food is good and they have a Starbucks.
Blue Cross
Network Engineer I (Former Employee) –  515 Pershing BlvdMay 8, 2018
Connected access layer users to their intranet and internet.
Had two meetings once a week to discuss current processes and open jobs.
Management was quite helpful giving us training and equipment to complete our jobs.
Pros
excellent workplace
Company culture
Medical Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 7, 2018
It was a friendly environment. Everyone came in focused and ready to work. Monday and Wednesday were very long days (12-18hrs at times. I leaned some medical coding in my time there, along with document scanning, imaging and medical claim review The most enjoyable part of the job for me was that the company included all employees in taking part in the profit sharing program (annual bonuses).
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
Many lay offs in the past 5 years