Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama Employee Reviews

not a fun place
Provider Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Customer Service SpecialistDecember 1, 2017
It was not a very good environment . The management is not good and they pick and choose who they like....If they do not like you, then you will not advance and you will be micro managed.
It was ok
Claims Processor II (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 1, 2017
My job was very low level but I enjoyed it. I returned to Blue Cross after leaving and moving out of town. I had a fairly simple job but could not get the hang of the production part.
Best place I worked in my life!!!
Senior Claims Analyst/Blue Advantage (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 10, 2017
I enjoyed my career at BCBS. I relocated. This company places great importance on its employees. The staff is respectful of each other and the customer is truly cared about.
There is stress with any job but you are rewarded for a job well done. I miss working here greatly!!!!!
Pros
Professional; organization cares about employees and customers
Cons
Can be stressful at times.
It is a decent job with good benefits
Provider Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 2, 2017
I work in customer service. It can be very stressful, but the people you work with make it worth coming to work. We constantly uplift each other and make the day go smoothly
Pros
inexpensive medical coverages
Cons
stress level. micromanaging
challenge and fun
Customer Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 26, 2017
It was good company. Learned alot about a call center. How to handle calls and listen to the needs of the people. It was an encouraging environment. They desired for you to win.
Pros
Good information
Cons
you must answer alot of calls
A great place to work.
CONTORL ROOM ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALSeptember 22, 2017
At Blue Cross Blue Shield the typical day was that everyone would greet you with a smile. I have learned how to work in a business in environment. Management there was firm but fair. The work culture was base all around family. The part about the job that was the hard was dealing with upset visitors.The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co-workers.
Pros
Family environment.
What to expect
Care Coordinator, RN (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL 35244September 20, 2017
You work at a desk, little interaction with coworkers, high volume, fast-paced, constant, revolving job expectations. You spend a lot of time sitting.
Pros
Salary and Benefits
Cons
You sit all day long
Productive and aspiring company
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 22, 2017
I was able to work my way up, by learning all that I could. By cross- training in different areas of my department. I enjoyed the atmosphere and my co-workers.
Competitive Work Environment
Insurance Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed working at Blue Cross Blue Shield because it provided a fast pace competitive work environment. There were plenty of opportunities for job advancement.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
I don't really have any complaints
A caring company
Provider Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 11, 2017
BCBSAL is a company you want to retire from, the company allows for growth if desired. The company provides a safe and friendly atmosphere to it's employees.
Pros
incentive bonuses
Cons
the csd is not an accommodating department for a person with a chronic medical conditions
Employee
Employee (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 19, 2017
I continued to learn something different and trained on many different areas in the company. I became a very well rounded person while working here
work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALFebruary 8, 2017
I truly enjoyed working for this company. The benefits, advancement opportunities and moral of the company was awesome. I only left because my husband wanted me to be home with our first child.
Pros
Everything was wonderful
Cons
Stuck in hostile, outdated work environment
Customer Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 11, 2017
I was a customer services representative. As far as the position, I loved my job. As far as the management, I couldn't imagine worse. I was in the position for right at 2 years. If benefits are more important to you than your actual mental wellbeing, then I would recommend this company. If you enjoy working for a private company who works under outdated work policies, then work for this company.
na
Customer Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 9, 2016
Every organization is different and offers certain cultures. The individual seeking employment or new hires will learn the custom and adjust to the fast pace and family oriented organization.
Productive and Fun place to work
Manager, Server Enginnering (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 9, 2016
Productive and Fun place to work. I would recommend anyone to work there. Good compensation package. Worked in several positions within IT and progressed to management level.
A good place to work.
Claims Processing Manager (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 18, 2015
Overall this is a good place to work. Management is dedicated to the well being of their associates. Some room for advancement. Always willing to provide training for associates to improve their abilities.
Excellent workplace
Learning and Development Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 11, 2015
Excellent place to work and advance in the healthcare insurance industry. Supportive management and friendly co-workers.
Pros
on-site amenities such as cafeteria and great health initiatives to participate in
Lovely Place to work
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALNovember 5, 2015
I love working here. Great compensation. Great diversity. There are opportunities if you perform to the best of your abilities and are able to demonstrate great versatility.
Pros
Compensation, Perks, work life balance
Cons
Slow Advancement unless know the correct people, PTO earnings
FEP Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 14, 2015
My work consists of making telephone calls to members who have a complicated medical history or who are currently in hospital. I have to be familiar with their health benefits to ensure they understand what is available to them for their current clinical condition. I have worked with members who are undergoing or in need of a transplant to end of life care with hospice needs. I have to review their clinical condition to make determination of medical necessity. There are 4 nurses on a team and our work is collaborative. The hardest part of the job is having to inform members that they do not have certain benefits and trying to assess what other benefits they have to work within their condition. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with members and see outcomes.
Pros
Ceu
Cons
productive goals
Caring management and caring associates
Management (Former Employee) –  Hoover, AlabamaSeptember 20, 2015
Great company, with exceptional leaders. Company is very progressive and affords the opportunity for advancement. Salary and benefits are extremely competitive with other employers within Shelby and Jefferson counties.