Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City Employee Reviews

United States66 reviews
This job is great because it’s part of the BCBS Group,compensation could have been better and workload was OK situations.
Its good place to learn your self.
I left a bad review when I left the company several months ago. It has since been removed. Blue Cross KC is a terrible place to work. People are rude and cliquish. Compensation is terrible as it depends on who you report to rather than your experience and/or education.
Wonder how long it will take them to remove this one?
My typical day at work was writing, editing, publishing procedures on a company website; these were procedures that told employees how to perform various tasks like pay claims, handle phone calls, check benefits, etc. I learned a huge amount about the health insurance business as well as online publishing and software. Management is supportive and competent and workplace culture is good. Hardest part of the job was that procedures kept changing do to constant changes in health insurance industry; impossible to totally get the websites up to date. Most enjoyable part of the job for me was writing and editing procedures and working with the authors to be sure they were accurate. Also, constant opportunities to learn.
There is never a dull day at Blue KC. My workday blows by, which is nice. I stay busy and the team I work with is pretty great. I hope my next employer is equally as nice to work for.
Good wellness programs.
Many meetings throughout the day.

Learned insurance related knowledge.

For the most part, very conducive work environment.

Hardest part of work is work / life balance.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
good place to start or advance career, management is good, co-workers are ok..they have a gym and great work life balance. The work space is a tad cramped
Great company who care about their employees and care about the community. They have competitive salary packages and very generous benefits (the company pays for most of your medical/dental/vision costs).
Great work life balance allowed - Collaborative Work environment - Leadership is always helping you grow in your own career - average tenure of employees is over 10 years that should tell you something!
Great training, stick with it and try hard and you will move up fast. Can usually work from home. Good pay, and wonderful benefits. REally good insurance.
Pros
Pay, benefits, co-workers, teamwork, work from home
Cons
managers can be harsh depending on the dept
I enjoyed the work dynamic and enjoyed going in everyday. I would have liked to have found a permanent spot with Blue Cross. Good luck if you can get a place there.
Pros
Good people
Cons
The daily life of a customer service agent is horrible. The routine was very poorly executed by upper management.......................................
I enjoyed my time working at Blue KC. I met and worked with diverse groups of people. Great training offered. Was not thrilled with some actions taken by senior management that made it necessary to offer a retirement buyout package to recoup losses. Was not ready to retire but took the buyout in order to protect my insurance.
Pros
Training, benefits, flex time
Cons
Micro management, seniority not being used for vacation time
Having a facility on site increases the employee usage and wellness program. There are free fruit infused water stations in the café.
The gourmet chef creates amazing healthy dishes for breakfast and lunch.
Pros
wellness is promoted
Cons
the cafe health food is expensive.
I absolutely love working for Blue Cross Blue Shield. If I was not relocating, then I would continue working for them. They truly look in advancing their employees to achieve their goals.
This was a nice place to work. A lot of perks for employees including an onsite gym. Worse part was the parking, but other than that, overall nice place
Good place to work, not much advancement or promotion unless you have a someone you know is better than your qualifications.

So who you know vs. Qualifications has always been a factor at this place. A person who is friends with hiring manager will have a better chance on getting a sr. position rather a person who has been doing the job.
If I didn’t relocate to Florida I would’ve stayed with the company!! BCBS Is an amazing employer. I’m looking for employment within the BCBS family in Florida.
Great company with great benefits back in the past. Now, completely different. Employees used to be a name, now they are just a number.. replaced at will for anyone that will work for less.
benefits
Cons
lack of loyalty
The workplace culture was fine in the beginning and the management while I was there was supportive of my advancement and learning new skills but the person I reported to was threatened by my ambition and always provided roadblocks. I did all the work while he took credit. Advancement in the company only took place if somebody died, retired or was fired. Hopefully, that culture has changed because besides the guy I reported to I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Lack of career advancement
A fast paced and challenging yet rewarding company. Superb benefits. Plenty of advancement opportunities. The hardest part of the job is maintaining effective communication among the leadership team.
Great place to work, love the employees, the work culture is laid back, and opportunity is there for advancement , the hardest part of the job is the customer services , the most enjoyable ti she advancement if you work hard enough.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City Reviews by Location