Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City Culture reviews

Nicw environment
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 30, 2018
This was a nice place to work. A lot of perks for employees including an onsite gym. Worse part was the parking, but other than that, overall nice place
Lead Market Research Analyst/CRM (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 31, 2018
The workplace culture was fine in the beginning and the management while I was there was supportive of my advancement and learning new skills but the person I reported to was threatened by my ambition and always provided roadblocks. I did all the work while he took credit. Advancement in the company only took place if somebody died, retired or was fired. Hopefully, that culture has changed because besides the guy I reported to I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Free gym
Cons
Lack of career advancement
Plenty of benefits
Customer Service (ITS HOST Blue Card) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 27, 2017
Good benefits. The pay is good as well. The culture is good. You can work from home. Depending on your job it may be stressful and long hours. Healthy options.
Pros
Work from home, good pay, good benefits, nice people
Cons
long work hours, stress, controlling QA
A great company with traditional culture
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 17, 2017
Blue Cross is a great company with a more traditional company culture. the company offers the opportunity for growth and advancement if you are a hard worker with a good work ethic.
HEDIS Abstractor (contracted position) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 8, 2017
Great place to work. Fridays are casual. Employee cafeteria is very healthy-upchare for snacks like candy, etc. Great restaurants within walking distance. Great family like atmosphere with coworkers! Loved it!
Cafeteria
KC- Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 6, 2017
A typical day at work is assisting customers with questions regarding their healthcare. I have learned that healthcare is very important and very much needed. Workplace culture is very diverse. There is no hard part about my job. The most enjoyable part of the job is satisfying my customers and them hanging up with more knowledge about their healthcare than what they knew before calling.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Many talented and good people who cares about delivering an awesome service to our members.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 13, 2017
BCBS of KC cares about their members and this culture is throughout the company. Need to add manpower to keep pace with the steady growth of membership and increasing demands of ACA members.

Excellent medical directors to work with.
Great resources to help members with their needs. Many talented dedicated employees.
High work demands with needed talent management program to help retain high performing employees.
Team effort is encourage with missing channels to foster the culture.
Pros
Great benefits, compensation, Wah
Good company
Provider Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 17, 2016
It is not easy to get promotions as they tend to hire from the outside quite often and politics play huge role in who they hire. Pay and benefits are good.
Customer and Employee Driven
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 9, 2016
Blue KC is by the far most employee and customer service driven company in Kansas City. Great benefits, great culture, great CEO. I would highly suggest working and retiring from this company.
Fun to work with my team members
Jr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 3, 2015
The days in finishing this project was just awesome. had co-operation from each and evry team member , had group work for completing the project.
Research and Adjustment Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2015
I enjoyed the people that I worked with; they made the days go by fast , and we worked as a team. The then management that directly supervised us was ineffective and my co-workers and I had to take on some of her supervisory responsibilities as she refused to do so. I would add that not all Supervisors or Mangers were like this there were many that were outstanding to their team.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Claims Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 9, 2015
Great place to work, employees are fun typical day is answering the phones for the providers and members......my co-workers made it an exceptional plave to work
Pros
great environment
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work in KC
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 18, 2015
Overall, it's a hard place to get an interview at. I enjoy the culture and people but in some areas, there is no room to grow.
Great Company to Work For!
HEDIS Coder/Abstractor (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 4, 2015
The culture of Blue KC is one of encouragement, positive and healthy lifestyle, work/play balance, and genuine camaraderie between peers and management. Salaries are above average, and for me, the hardest part of the job is going home at the end of the day. The work week flies by so fast I can't believe it's already Friday most of the time!
Pros
Open communication and compassion.
Cons
None.
Family Oriented Company, Great place to work
Membership Billing and Eligibility Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 1, 2013
I enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Management is easy to talk to and will help you succeed.
Pros
Great Pay and Great Benefits
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Kansas CitySeptember 3, 2013
Great place to work on a daily basis. I workl full time great hours it has a free fitness center for employees
Professional Atmosphere
Lead/Sr.QA Consultant (Current Employee) –  Kansas CityJune 27, 2013
Am a fun loving person and at the same time love to work in a competitive environment which is healthy. I share and enhance knowledge from my co-workers .
fun place to work. great communication
Supervisor II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MissouriMarch 11, 2013
hard work pays off in advancement. this company advances within. like a family. Management communicates to staff. I work close to my staff in the day to day operations of member services. the hardest part of this job was transitioning my staff from being a transaction based unit to a customer focused unit. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing my staff successfully make the transition
Pros
promotes from within
Overall this was a good place to work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 7, 2012
Working with customers and staff. Teamwork was a big part of getting the work done and we worked well together.
Pros
customer driven, healthcare, rewards for hard work, some positions work from home
Cons
short staffed