Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Job Satisfction
SR CONTRACT CONSULTANT/PROCESS IMPROVEMENT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 13, 2019
Internal job opportunities were difficult. Seem to have candidates in mind leaving employees less encouraged for advancement. Friendly culture........
Pros
Cons
Break
Good Company
worker (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 19, 2019
Good company to work for. Great people and management. Miss working there. BCBS didn't offer a lot of advancements without a college degree so I had to look else where.
Bad for work/life balance
Principal Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNFebruary 4, 2019
The culture honors those who work incredibly long hours. Competition can be cut-throat. There are many women at this company; however, women are not rewarded for the skills that are more commonly rewarded in men.
Compliance Auditor for Medicare Sales dept
Contracted AeroTek Compliance Auditor (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 26, 2019
My time there was brief. My trainer was too busy to train. She had a lot of anxiety. basically ran me off. Never felt like I was going to be hired therefore I didn't really want to be there. They ended my contract days before Christmas. Was there 90 days.
Pros
great commute & pay was decent
Cons
their benefits dept enrolled me into insurance benefits I did not apply for & refused to stop them.
Healthcare Industry
NETWORK MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 25, 2019
It's hard not to see insurance companies as middlemen driving up the cost of healthcare for everybody. It was a nonprofit, but the executives were paid very well. It just didn't seem to help the providers or general public.
Loved working here but the IT department has been going down hill for years
Principal Engineer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 10, 2019
I really enjoyed working at Blue Cross. The people are probably their best asset. There were a lot of silos in IT, but once you got to know the people, you could get things done. Sometimes it was hard to get leadership to understand why something couldn't be done or why it should be done. Overall my experience was very good, but the last several years were pretty bad moral-wise because of ongoing layoffs. Although the layoffs have been stopped, it sounds like moral is still pretty low because of lack of direction.
Pros
Excellent Health Care benefits, high salary, 401K match, annual bonus
Cons
downsizing in IT and poor moral due to multi-year layoffs
Productive and fun place to work
Adjuster Specialist Examiner (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 8, 2019
Great benefits, fun people to work with, opportunities for growth within the company, transparent expectations, location close to home, leadership kept employees informed of companies growth opportunities.
Pros
Caffateria located with in the building with great food options
Cons
Health industry drove the growth and potenial for the company
I was only temp and the employees there treated me like I wasn't a person
Processer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 4, 2019
I liked the job, the training was short, but when we started the training we were trained for something different from the interview and were grouped with the people that didn't treat us with any kind of respect
Great work from home
Senior Utilization Manager (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 2, 2019
Great if you are young and want to work from home. They are not great about working with the older work force or disabled or those with chronic pain or medical problems. Everyone has to make the same productivity, more factory style work.
Pros
work from home
Cons
High Stress, unwilding
Managers are terrible and lack of advancement
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 28, 2018
You would think that in this corporation it's what you know to advance in the company, but it's the complete opposite, it's all about who you know and the system of the good old boys. It was a constant battle of being watched and micromanaged. If you thought outside of the box or collaborated with other teams you were shamed for it.
Typical office job with cubicals
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mail RoomOctober 28, 2018
Prep all incoming mail, emails and faxes.
Data entry in validation.
Research member information.
Management is pretty laid back and allow/expect you to be able to work alone, unless it is 4th quarter, then everyone seems stressed out.
Sometimes it feels like "high school" again working in an office setting. there are clicks of people.
The hardest part of the job would definitely be sitting or standing in one spot all day.
The most enjoyable is when their is a variety of work, that allows you to get up and move around.
Job security is not great in office jobs, there have been multiple layoffs here since I started 3 years ago.
Pros
Great pto! They make you feel valued most of the time.
Cons
Job Security, lots of layoffs
Great people.
IT Process Consultant Associate (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 25, 2018
I loved working at BCBS. Great people and opportunities. The culture is changing due to the amount of outsourcing, but still a lot of quality individuals. I think they should promote more people that are currently in the organization.
Great culture
SALES SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 12, 2018
As a non-profit healthcare company, the work culture promotes healthy living and lifestyle. Diversity is key. The Sales Support Analyst team is central to all other departments moving forward in their work to accomplish the goal of providing top healthcare benefits. The team is responsible for building all health plans for fully insured and self insured plans and benefits.
This company was a very nice place to work for 16 years. There was a lot of incentive, praise and professionalism within the company as a whole.
Claims Processor III (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 8, 2018
This was a good place to work overall. They changed their overall system and upgraded and I was unable to understand the new system as I was kept on the old system and was not able to work the new system to keep up with my daily/hourly rate as I did not get to have the hands on hands working the new system. I basically was left behind to clean up the old system.
Pros
Flexible hours, training, benefits package, the community and co-worker's and friends. Some management.
sat in front of computer all day long
Caims Reseach Examiner (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 3, 2018
Sat in front of computer all day long. Working on claims to get them paid by provider. Working with multiple screens to achieve a good code for provider to pay.
Loved working at Blue Cross on MN
Senior Instructional Designer and Developer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 27, 2018
I worked for both Blue Cross and an affiliate and found both to be very good companies to work for. Work life balance was excellent, Benefits were excellent.
Pros
onsite cafeterias, work life balance
Enjoyable work with awesome co-workers
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 19, 2018
I did extensive reporting for clients and management via Microsoft Office applications. I managed multiple projects until completion-by attending meetings and system testing along with validation. I attended many meetings and was trusted to make decisions that aligned with the departments needs. I was able to work on my own and able to manage my daily duties without being micromanaged. I worked with vendors on system issues and upgrades. I enjoyed what I did for work and the individuals I worked closely with in the company. The comradery in our department was the best I have been involved in for the work we did.
Pros
Enjoying what I did on a daily basis
Cons
work life balance
Unnecessarily stressful
Management (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 14, 2018
The work itself is straightforward, and there is no good reason for this company to be as stressful as it is but they hire people in management positions who should never manage others. The issues are not addressed by HR or leadership. Employees who bully their peers are allowed to continue unchecked. Many people have left Blue Cross recently due to its culture. In addition, there is little cooperation between departments which adds to the stress. I would like to recommend this company but I cannot.
Pros
Benefits, pension
A day at BCBS
data entry, preparing paper documents (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 11, 2018
I have a great boss-she's trusted me with many new projects and often bounces ideas off me if she's stuck on something. There are many great volunteer opportunities here.
Overall good team to work with
Partner Relations Consultant - Government Programs (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 21, 2018
Leadership communication is a challenge. Lots of room left for team interpretation of what's "really going on." Really good direct reports and front line staff who are committed to the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Reviews by Location