Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Managers are terrible and lack of advancement
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 28, 2018
You would think that in this corporation it's what you know to advance in the company, but it's the complete opposite, it's all about who you know and the system of the good old boys. It was a constant battle of being watched and micromanaged. If you thought outside of the box or collaborated with other teams you were shamed for it.
Great people.
IT Process Consultant Associate (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 25, 2018
I loved working at BCBS. Great people and opportunities. The culture is changing due to the amount of outsourcing, but still a lot of quality individuals. I think they should promote more people that are currently in the organization.
Great culture
SALES SUPPORT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 12, 2018
As a non-profit healthcare company, the work culture promotes healthy living and lifestyle. Diversity is key. The Sales Support Analyst team is central to all other departments moving forward in their work to accomplish the goal of providing top healthcare benefits. The team is responsible for building all health plans for fully insured and self insured plans and benefits.
This company was a very nice place to work for 16 years. There was a lot of incentive, praise and professionalism within the company as a whole.
Claims Processor III (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 8, 2018
This was a good place to work overall. They changed their overall system and upgraded and I was unable to understand the new system as I was kept on the old system and was not able to work the new system to keep up with my daily/hourly rate as I did not get to have the hands on hands working the new system. I basically was left behind to clean up the old system.
Pros
Flexible hours, training, benefits package, the community and co-worker's and friends. Some management.
sat in front of computer all day long
Caims Reseach Examiner (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNOctober 3, 2018
Sat in front of computer all day long. Working on claims to get them paid by provider. Working with multiple screens to achieve a good code for provider to pay.
Loved working at Blue Cross on MN
Senior Instructional Designer and Developer (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 27, 2018
I worked for both Blue Cross and an affiliate and found both to be very good companies to work for. Work life balance was excellent, Benefits were excellent.
Pros
onsite cafeterias, work life balance
Enjoyable work with awesome co-workers
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 19, 2018
I did extensive reporting for clients and management via Microsoft Office applications. I managed multiple projects until completion-by attending meetings and system testing along with validation. I attended many meetings and was trusted to make decisions that aligned with the departments needs. I was able to work on my own and able to manage my daily duties without being micromanaged. I worked with vendors on system issues and upgrades. I enjoyed what I did for work and the individuals I worked closely with in the company. The comradery in our department was the best I have been involved in for the work we did.
Pros
Enjoying what I did on a daily basis
Cons
work life balance
Unnecessarily stressful
Management (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 14, 2018
The work itself is straightforward, and there is no good reason for this company to be as stressful as it is but they hire people in management positions who should never manage others. The issues are not addressed by HR or leadership. Employees who bully their peers are allowed to continue unchecked. Many people have left Blue Cross recently due to its culture. In addition, there is little cooperation between departments which adds to the stress. I would like to recommend this company but I cannot.
Pros
Benefits, pension
A day at BCBS
data entry, preparing paper documents (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 11, 2018
I have a great boss-she's trusted me with many new projects and often bounces ideas off me if she's stuck on something. There are many great volunteer opportunities here.
Overall good team to work with
Partner Relations Consultant - Government Programs (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 21, 2018
Leadership communication is a challenge. Lots of room left for team interpretation of what's "really going on." Really good direct reports and front line staff who are committed to the organization.
BCBS of Minnesota provided case management and coaching to families to assist clients in enhancing their physical and mental health.
Behavioral Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 24, 2018
Provided case management services to clients in the Behavior Health Division. Clients were assisted and provided support services as they transitioned out of hospitals and treatment facilities. Completed assessments and collaborated with clients and staff to create a plan of care for clients to manage their mental and physical well-being.
Pros
Working on multidisciplinary teams to support clients who had physical and mental health needs.
Cons
fast paced and stressful at times.
Not currently a good place for an IT career
Change Management Coordinator Senior (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 19, 2018
The one thing I'll mention about BCBS is about "respect". Company has annual reminders that all employees owe each other "respect". But only non-executives have to actually treat others with respect. Executives are exempt from showing respect to their subordinates.
High turnover plus micromanagement
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia, MNJuly 15, 2018
The best metric to view how good a company is to work for is turnover/job retention rates. Blue Cross entry level positions in my department had turnover rates of 75-80% after three months and 90% after one year. Most of the losses were due to people quiting, a smaller amount from people getting fired, and a tiny fraction got approved for transfers to lower stress, but lower paying departments. Low to mid level management appeared to have the same turnover issues as I worked for 4 plus years and had 5 different supervisors in that time frame. Stresses from constant micromanagement, lack of coordination between departments, outsourced IT, difficult-to-meet bonus structures, and the public increasingly seeing insurance companies as the villains in health care make BCBS a difficult place to work for (No matter how many pot lucks and "keep up the good work" cakes there were)
Pros
Great Benefits, Good Base Pay
Cons
Poor Coordination, High Turnover
Chaotic
Principal Sales Compliance & Oversight (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 13, 2018
There is a lot going on in the market. There is a TON of movement at the top and it is unsettling. The organization does not feel lined with one another right now.
Pros
Pension plan, great benefits
Cons
Chaos
Love my team and the work I do
Quality Review Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 12, 2018
I love my job. Unfortunately there has been layoffs due to system improvements. I worry about my job now and the future. Otherwise no complaints. Great hours, benefits, work from home.
Pros
Work from home, Flexible, Benefits
Once in a lifetime
Healthcare Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 8, 2018
In the final analysis, I was never quite able to surmount issues between myself and my immediate supervisor.

Fun, nurturing environment. Excellent work/life balance.
no on-board training
Desktop Support Technician II (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 25, 2018
Management as very hands off when it came to training in new people. They would pass you off to someone for a couple of days of shadowing then expect you to sink or swim. you don't know there's a problem until you're fired.
Pros
the pay was good.
Cons
management
Very good health benefits;
Administrative Assistant; (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 20, 2018
Health benefits and PTO accruals are very good. Many people have been there for 30+ years; As with all companies, change is the norm. There are good people there.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Because of growing technology there have been layoffs
Great place to work for
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 17, 2018
BCBS is a great place to work at. There are days where it can get stressful but there are days that are pretty relaxing so it all balances out. The management is great and always challenging employees to improve without micromanagement. I enjoy every day that I come into work and have been here for about 2 years as a contractor.

I'm just a bit disappointed that I've applied for a position numerous times and they still keep posting the job up every few months. I would appreciate it if they would at least respond to my application.
Pros
Job culture, management
Cons
Lack of job opportunities
Complex but fun to work
Project Manager and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 16, 2018
Its a very complex organization to navigate but a fun place to work for. Lot of learning opportunities and career opportunities. Lots going on all the time to keep you busy and productive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss