Blue Federal Credit Union

Working at Blue Federal Credit Union: 34 Reviews

United States34 reviews

employeeplacepaymanagementgreatworkcompanycredit

Poor pay

Poor pay and favorites played in most areas - they spend money in all the wrong places. They would rather pay less for unskilled talent than pay for the experience. Chiefs are very disconnected with the front line staff.

Blue is great!

Blue is a great company, very inclusive and accommodating, the branch I work with although has a new Manager, she is great: I turn down a couple of positions from other company because I really like her management style.

Blue Federal Credit Union insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Time and location flexibility

Snack bar and a gym

The new HQ building is beautiful. There is a strong focus on culture but it often falls short and can't combat old habits. There are various long time employees that treat others very poorly. It is allowed to continue as addressing things in a direct manner is "not the Blue way." But, there is a gym, coffee bars, a real bar, and a food market!

Pushy with Sales

Blue was not a bad place for a while. It all changed when senior level management became extremely pushy and wanted to aggressively expand the company. They have been opening around 4 new branches every year. This is extremely aggressive for a small company with about 300 employees. Unfortunately, folks on the front line of the company ended up being treated like a number and a method for revenue generation and greed. It is reminiscant of Wells Fargo and Bank of America.

A work enviornment that is relevant and offers growth for all employees

Working for Blue has been the best decision for my career! The leadership team offers great support to understand our mission and the "why" behind what we do. It is a fast paced environment with many opportunities for career advancement and development.

Pros

Cross training, happy work culture/eniornment

Cons

Does not offer a high deductible health plan

Tense Environment with Stressed Ineffective Managers

Blue was a good company a few years ago. Over the past year it has gone completely down the drain. Managers are horribly rude, to employees and members. Tellers are paid so little and systems are always on needing repair, leaving the poor tellers to have to hear the complaints for something they can not fix. The Bankers are over worked and goals are insurmountable with the loss of a job hanging over your head for threat. New Regional Manager is a nut case on a power trip. Only work here if you are comfortable with high stress, low pay and low encouragement.

Pros

Location (if it is close to your house)

Cons

Managers, and Higher Ups are Awful

Toxic work environment !!

If you want to work for a company that fires hard workers and love to be micromanaged then this is the place for you! The managers here don’t know how to treat their employees fair, you will get in trouble if you are sick or have been exposed to covid. Did I mention they do not following the cdc guidelines for covid !! Managers are unducated and will hover over your back and tell you everything your doing wrong instead of appreciating you. No wonder the employees retention rate is so low

Cons

Poor leadership, no work life balance, micromanagers, uneducated leadership

Worst job I ever had

I worked at the company for several years and at several different locations. I can't think of a better way to describe the company culture than to say it promotes toxic positivity. Everyone is supposed to smile and "have fun!" all the time, even when they feel they are drowning in stress or when workload is unmanageable. Managers and higher-ups will claim their door is always open to you, but they can and will use every word you say against you. Trying to communicate anything negative will not pan out well for you. My advice is don't drink the kool-aid here. This was a truly terrible job and I'm very happy to have moved on.

Pros

Free food and swag.

Cons

Poor management, inconsistent policies among branches, toxic culture

Love this organization!

Blue FCU takes great care of their employees. They are always doing fun events and giving employees special perks. They have been extremely focused on employee safety and happiness during COVID.

Pros

Leadership, Great Benefits, Employee Perks

It's a great place to feel connected to other people and feel valued.

The working atmosphere is fun and has a family feel. My manager cares about me personally. My only concern is I would like more growth opportunity. It's the best job I have worked at this far in my career.

Horrible leadership/bad morale

Cant speak to the Wyoming branches but the leadership in Colorado is laughable. The new CEO is trying her very best to turn Blue into a bank and has overseen the firing of the Denver Metro managers that stood for what credit unions are about. The staff are not happy across the board and it shows. And since Blue is based in Wyoming, they think covid isnt real and make you come to work even if you have symptoms...no joke.

Pros

Plenty of available hours due to lack of staff

Cons

Everything other than available hours

Management has always been an issue in all departments

They don’t care about your health. They always have negative things to say about your work ethic. I would change the way I do things to their request and then they didn’t like that either. I will say, they have a employee credit card that gives you a low interest rate

Pros

Decent wage, holidays off

Cons

Short breaks, constant micromanaging, rude management

Poor Leadership

It a very caddy/ shady place to work for. It’s all about who’s blank you kiss to climb your way up. Leadership does not honestly care about the staff. They want you all to fall in line like a bunch of sheep. When you really express how you feel it is not taken lightly. Don’t waste your time on Blue. They are not a company for you!

Pros

Members and frontline staff are great!

Cons

Pay, leadership and training

They unjustly fire people

the higher ups don't value their employees and don't care about under-staffing. they will fire you over nothing. They also do not pay very well, and do not promote hard workers, they will hire external people instead.

Poor Management

Loved working for this company, but the manager at this branch was childish and all about drama. If you like that culture, you will like this job. I would not recommend a job at this branch to my worst enemy.

The worst

Put on PIM out of the blue with no end date.. Sepatated from work team feel an outsider. Take away things that help feel like you are part of the blue cultute.

Review

My experience at Blue overall has been an amazing experience. I've been able to learn so much about the banking industry and about how great a culture can be within a company. The management as well as the people I have the pleasure of working with, have been so very personable and friendly. I will miss them terribly! The most impressive part of the Blue Federal Culture, is their volunteer work that they do for the surrounding communities. They enable us to volunteer hours to their foundations as part of our work schedules. I am so very impressed with the time and care they give to others who are in great need. Our days here consist of assisting our members with their banking needs, team meetings that update us on upcoming changes or activities within the company, celebrating birthdays or anniversaries, and learning new processes on a daily basis. The days are productive, consistent and enjoyable.

Pros

Management, culture, work hours.

Cons

Departments not yet adequately staffed.

Overall okay

Could increase pay to meet the market demands in Colorado. They do plan an all employee team builder once a year which is a fun time to get together to see all of your peers.

fun place to work

work environment excellent, good management, excellent supervisors, CEO is a very caring person, pay is comparable to other institutions in the area for the work required.

Mediocre to say the least

Mostly drama. Nearly impossible to advance. Rather than hiring for open positions, others are expected to pick up the slack, but not the pay. Fast food workers make more than a teller at this credit union. What they train you and what they want you to actually do are two totally different things. Definitely not a great place to work.

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Pay, drama, poor management

Poor

Promotions are based on friendships not qualifications. Promises are handed out without follow through. Misinformation is a common thing from the top down. Gossip and fighting between departments is an everyday thing. Moral is very poor.

Pros

Will promote within, even if you do not qualify

Cons

As an employee you are just a number

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Federal Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits