Blue Origin Employee Reviews

Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAJanuary 3, 2019
Blue origin is an awesome place to work. It feels like your working for a greater good and making a difference in the world. The culture is good, benefits are good, pay is above average, and PTO is 4 weeks a year right off the bat.
Everyone gets a nice laptop and desk with two monitors. Free snacks, drinks, and good coffee. Lots of catered food for meetings.
Just like most places, you will be compensated based on your experience and what you bring to the table. People who have 1-5 years of experience will often complain about being compensated lower than someone with 10-20 years of experience.
Also your raise will depend on your performance. If you perform well and do not whine and complain then you could get $2-$6 per hour raise or 7%-14% of your salary depending.
And if you are under performing don’t expect much, $0.50-$1.00 per hour or 3%.
Too often I saw certain employees asking for more money constantly but gave no rational and did not show ambition
As the company grows larger yes some perks will go away, it’s a part of growing pains.
If you are a hard worker you will be rewarded.
Just like any company anywhere, there are good managers, bad managers and good employees and bad employees.
You can work as little or as much as you like. Work hours are flexible and you can take a day off planned or unexpected without feeling guilty. Work life balance at Blue is excellent especially when compared with Space X or Boeing.
Pros
Pay is above average, lots of PTO, flexible work hours, rewarded for hard work, job satisfaction, no micro managing, lots of freedoms, work on cool hardware, advancing humanity
Cons
Healthcare is average, some bad managers, pace of development, parking is lacking
Lots of perks that don't pay the bills
Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAMarch 6, 2018
Company culture is pretty good and benefits are satisfactory but the rest is mostly hype. Stock options are a joke (worth the paper they're written on) lots of perks that slowly disappear over time. Arbitrary schedule pressure. Disproportionate pay ($20/hr difference between employees with the same job title) if you love space and care about nothing else, this is the place for you. But if you're looking to provide for a family or advance in your career, go someplace else.
Pros
Cool culture, lots of hysteria and hype around launches, benefits are acceptable, PTO is great
Cons
Incompetent management, Hr, recruiting department.
Great place to work with exceptionally talented people.
Professional Buyer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 4, 2018
Great place to work with exceptionally talented people. Love the collaborative environment. Have had great bosses since working here. People are friendly and want to help you succeed.
Pros
Great benefits for full-time employees.
Great Place for Kids Out of College
Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 15, 2019
I worked for Blue Origin on a contractual basis. They gave me assignments that were supposed to coordinate with their "engineers," When I tried to contact many of them I had to wait for days for their responses. Once, when I was going to call one of the engineers using the cell phone number that was provided, I was told not to bother the engineers.

Communication is very important no matter where you go. My manager always told me that I was supposed to contact him when I had a question or concern. However, even when he was at his desk, there were many times when he would not respond. That left me with unanswered questions and a delay of scheduled assignments.
Pros
Working on Creo Parametric
Cons
Dealing with the lack of management skills.
Good perks ... at a PRICE
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 24, 2017
Super competitive, very political climate. Company culture is based around millennial sensitive cry babies & prima donnas. Super exciting work, good benefits, decent compensation, at a price.
Pros
bring your dog to work, grazing on free food and drinks
Cons
took free Tuesday Lunch & free Christmas time off
A good place to work
Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 18, 2015
A great place if you are into rockets and space. I have worked for most of the major aerospace companies. Each had their area they were working (airframe, engines, or avionics). Blue Origin is doing it all in-house. This makes for a fun and challenging place to work.
Pros
Great benefits and perks
Cons
Long hours and travel
Innovative, entrepreneurial culture with solid aerospace values
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 18, 2018
Blue Origin is a unique company because of its very long term vision of creating infrastructure to enable millions of people living and working in space. Its a great place to apply your skills, be challenged with solving hard problems, and to learn from smart passionate people. The culture and organization is still evolving so be willing to be very flexible.
Comfortable and healthy work environment
Propulsion Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 2, 2016
Exciting high tech company with plenty of room for growth.
Kent location is not a bad place to live. Van Horn, Texas is good for no one.

Work tasks are constantly varied.
Pros
Good compensation, relaxed environment, family style
Cons
Poor healthcare, terrible lower/middle management
Excellent employer
Curriculum Developer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 31, 2017
Overall, I was greatly impressed with the culture, staff and nature of the work. Professional, supportive, kind and flexible. Being able to work in a high tech environment making a real tangible effect on industry was rewarding.
Pros
Company gear/swag, complimentary snacks and drinks, sponsored events
Cons
It was a contract job! Would have loved to continue.
A Space orientated company.
IT General Helper (Former Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 18, 2017
It's a great lace to work everyone you meet is so friendly and the work is pretty easy once you get a hang of it. They are working towards a new step in space flight. I had a great time working for Blue Origin.
Integration Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WANovember 30, 2017
In time it will improve and grow into something beneficial to the job market and humanity on the whole given its mission related to commercial space flight.
I learned alot about concrete and rebar
Rod Buster (Former Employee) –  Van Horn, TXMay 29, 2013
It was a big job and alot of responsibilities everyone worked together well.and safely . To me it felt , like management always put me on the toughest tasks. And the most enjoyable part was when the job was done a we stood back and could see what we had built.
Pros
we did not have to drive to work we all would ride in a van
Cons
there were no benifites
They talk a good game
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 27, 2013
Toxic environment, disorganized, lack of respect for their employees, inconsistent focus and business model, and the biggest issue... I thought I was hired to design for space travel, every boy's dream right? No, waste of my time. I left a few months ago and am much happier using my expertise and education for a solid company.
Pros
Facility was great
Cons
Lacks positive culture and organization
Exciting aerospace company developing new technologies to improve access to space
Department Manager, Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 9, 2014
Blue Origin
Additive Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAFebruary 13, 2017
Company over promises and under delivers as a employer. You would think as a employer they would want the best for the employee. That's not always the case here.
Engaging and Fun
Structures Engineer, Intern (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 8, 2017
Exciting, fun, Leadership
Learned to read email effectively
Smile all day
Second time I have to write this :((((
Super fun
Entire staff is brilliant and driven.
Test Engineer/Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Van Horn, TXAugust 17, 2013
Overall a good place to work for. At one point in time they treated their employees very well, this has been slowly declining, I hope it does not continue.
The Director of Finance said Blue Origin was a toxic environment and I thought she was right.
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 20, 2012
Accounting was close to the small conference room and the way the Directors' looked when the left that room was very upsetting. Their faces would be red and they would not go back to their desks, they would go outside to regroup.
Pros
free lunch on tuesday
Cons
they way they treated their top level employees.
Cutting Edge Production and Engineering
Structural Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 17, 2014
Lots of opportunity to do all sorts of engineering, calculations, analysis.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Origin. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight