Blue Raven Solar Employee Reviews

It was good
CLOSER (Former Employee) –  Rexburg, IDAugust 17, 2018
This job will be very good for someone that loves solar and has done door to door sales.
You have to drive to every appointment given to you and try and sell them.
Pros
very flexible hours, can get paid a ton
Cons
if you don't sell you don't make money, driving alot
Good intentions
Field Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 2, 2018
Spring and Summer are the most productive months and there's generally plenty of work during these months. Fall and Winter are much much slower. If you enjoy working in the field on your own, helping customers go solar and driving 900 to 1,000 miles every two weeks in your car you'll enjoy this job.

Upper management is good and they show great intent, most of them have been around a while. Middle management isn't so great... most are new to the industry and they lack direction and follow-through. Upper management needs to trust but verify middle management.

The administrative departments have lots of turn over and new hires that aren't up to speed on processes and procedures for scheduling, permitting and inspections. Some of this is due to company growing pains.

Installers are hard working and seem rushed to get installs completed fast, this can lead to more failed inspections and require revisions or additional work resulting in delays and getting 'permission to operate'.

Always improving is something they say they're all about which is great but unfortunately it's a daily occurrence. You'll need to be patient to work here and provide lots of feedback in employee surveys and to all levels of management.

Company benefits have improved in 2018.
Pros
Upper management, co-workers, benefits
Cons
High turnover, lots of new hires, middle management, work-life balance
Great foundation of sales
Solar Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tremonton, UTJuly 20, 2018
The first place I sold solar was for Blue Raven. The manager invested in me and taught me the ropes of what a good salesman was. Punctual, good character and full of life.
Pros
Autonomy, flexible hours, Paid based on results
Cons
Worry of not getting paid out on back end if you leave early.
Productive and active place to work.
Field Operation Technician (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 15, 2018
Real productive place to work, if you enjoy working in the fields, interacting with people and driving, this is the job for you.
Management is like no other, great people to work with.
Pros
Good place to build & gain experience
Cons
Fun atmosphere with steady work and great coworkers
Proposal Specialist (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTJune 2, 2018
It was interesting to build homes needing solar because every roof and home is different than the last one. My coworkers made every shift enjoyable and the atmosphere is relaxed, hard working and not stressful.
Learn from my mistake, AVOID this company.
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDApril 19, 2018
I worked for Blue Raven Solar for over a year. Nothing but false promises, horrible pay, working horrible hours, and sacrificing your family. This was not my first go round in the solar industry! You are just another ant working to pad the pockets of the owners and they do not care at all about you.
Great Place to Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTApril 18, 2018
Blue Raven is a growing company with lots of opportunity. There is a great balance between hard work and enjoyable atmosphere. The management is available and engaged with their teams. Although there are challenges that come with the rapid growth they've experienced, they have a disciplined approach that provides confidence and stability for the future.
Pros
Pay, Culture, Atmosphere, Management
Cons
Benefits Can Be Improved Further
Very unprofessional
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTMarch 30, 2018
I was invited to be interviewed for an open position, which was scheduled for the following day. Upon arrival, I was asked to wait 20 minutes only to be told that the position had already been filled the day before. What a waste of my time, who decides on a candadite with future interviews scheduled and doesn’t even notify them?
Pros
Nice office
Cons
Terrible communication and consideration
Best Solar Opportunity I've Seen
Solar Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDFebruary 28, 2018
Excellent commission, great leadership, smooth operations, affordable product, realistic quota for the annual trip paid for by the company. It would take a lot to get me to make a move.
Pros
Excellent Commission and Incentive Trip
Cons
No Benefits
Most rewarding company to work for
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDFebruary 18, 2018
I’ve been working here for 1.5 years and have loved it. Advanced my roll in leadership and been rewarded heavily for my hard work.

If your not a hard worker, Or need to have your hand held don’t apply.

The ones who do work hard the compensation is incredible. With 3 company trips including a huge year end trip to Hawaii with all expenses paid for both the employee and spouse. I felt Rewarded for my skill and effort.

I enjoy The solar industry and enjoy working with a company that is great for the customer and the representative.
Pros
Company trips, competition prizes, residual pay, flexible hours
Cons
Fast paced
Great work environment, but lacking a willingness to work with employees
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTFebruary 15, 2018
The Blue Raven Solar team is great and working there feels like working with family. Everyone is kind, helpful, motivating, and innovative. I certainly learned a lot at Blue Raven Solar. However, one of the partners creates problems for himself and puts the blame on others, taking unconventional means to solve his problems.
Non productive. Lack of leadership.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Lack of leadership. Too many managers, not enough associates. Meetings were held once a week to motivate and go beyond our expectations. At the end of the day our goals were unrealistic.
Official response from Blue Raven Solar
March 14, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We haven't had a Staten Island location open for a couple years, and I think you'd be pleased to see the great changes to the organization that we've been able to make over that time.

Blue Raven grew very quickly and confronted many challenges on the way, but we always strive to create a program for our sales teams that will support them, when our sales teams succeed, the company succeeds.

We wish you the best as you move on in your career.

Don’t do it!
Appointment Setter (Former Employee) –  Hanover Park, ILJanuary 23, 2018
They make the job seem very kushy but in reality they don’t provide anything. Very low starting wage which is made to seem easy to boost up to the next wage but good luck trying. They claim they will financially assist you if need be when you first start “because at Blue Raven they know how getting a new job can be” but when it comes time where you desperately need money because your short on your bills and can’t afford to fill up you gas tank they won’t help you out. Job is very very stressful going door to door intruding on people trying to go about their day. Nobody buys anything from door too door salesmen anymore and if they do they’re a quack. This job will put you in debt from all the gas you use and their wimpy paychecks range from 50-130 so you better have money in the bank to help you pay your bills. Also a little tidbit about the paychecks, they’re not taxed at all, which may seem appealing but it’s honestly kind of sketchy and will come back to bite you when you do your taxes at the end of the year. You get to create your own schedule which is cool but if you think you can schedule yourself for more than 3 hours a day going door to door you will need a therapist afterwards for all the stress you put yourself through. You will have the worst encounters with people while doing this job and it’s so bad you won’t want get out of your car next time you pull up to work. Lastly Blue Raven managers and veteran staff have this really cheesey out look filled with cliche inspirational quotes and a worn out “go get ‘em” attitude, they’re a bunch of sad saps to be honest. Don’t  more... even apply for this job.  less
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Official response from Blue Raven Solar
March 14, 2018

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a fulfilling experience working for Blue Raven Solar. The setter position is a difficult one, and going door-to-door can be very challenging, we agree with you and we appreciate our setters and the work they do for us every day.

Just a response to the not taxed checks, that is correct and to clarify the setter position is a contracted position, so as a 1099, the company does not collect taxes. The company does offer W2 positions but those are primarily office positions.

We wish you luck in your future positions and hope you find something that is what you are looking for.

Great company in the beginning, but fell apart when State removed incentives
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 7, 2018
Blue Raven is a great company and my local manager was also great. Once NM pulled its Green Energy incentives, BR, did not have the ability to effectively offset the cost.
Unfortunately, was led to believe that issue would be worked out, so work continued. When BR pulled out entirely, they declined to pay out for work completed and pending that was owed.
Since the company no longer operated in NM, and I wasn't being paid for the final work I'd performed, I moved on.
Pros
Great Green company, excellent management
Cons
Lack of pay for work completed in the end
Unorganized
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 10, 2017
They didn’t tell me that the first day of training wasn’t paid, they weren’t be fair. They didn’t pay me for all my hours. This the worst company i worked for. They didn’t train me for a day they just threw me outside without no training. They suck at replying.
Pros
Cons
Unfair, unorganized
was only temporary
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 29, 2017
It was a pretty good paying summer job. Only temporary. I learned about sales and relationships with others. It was a good paying job and I needed the money.
OK, but not the best
PV Designer (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTNovember 27, 2017
This is a fairly high-stress job in the fact that the expectations are astronomical. I am expected to complete 8 units of work in an 8 hour day. Unfortunately, this is nearly impossible. There are certain things that just take longer than an hour to do, but no matter how much anyone brings it up the manager just shrugs it off. He thinks it is doable, but it is not. He's really out of touch with what is required because he hasn't completed a design in a very long time. There is very little room for error when it comes to getting things done quickly enough. If you have even a minor blunder your entire week is shot. It's very deflating and frustrating because you have to be almost perfect in order to reach the expectations.

On top of that, they keep instituting these competitions between departments to get us to work harder. The problem is that the other departments' goals are more realistic so they are able to complete, whereas my department is all sorts of screwed because our goals set by the department managers and our manager's expectations are crazy ridiculous. It is impossible for our department to win the contest.

To top it all off, the benefits are terrible. They only pay 30% of the premiums. We switched to my wife's insurance through her work and we are paying less for both of us than I was paying just for myself through Blue Raven. One of the most frustrating things is that they don't do paid holidays. So yeah, you don't have to come in on Christmas day, but you are not paid for it. I've never worked for a company that has such poor benefits.
Pros
The people you work with are really cool
Cons
Almost everything else
Stay any from this company and any like it!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 17, 2017
This job promises paid training at $12/hr and then pay you $20/hr but what they don’t tell you is that you have to set 10 appointments(which by the way can be canceled by blue raven cause they think it’s not a “quality lead” or the sales person didn’t go out) and you have to jump all these hoops that just happen out of no where. Also when you ask questions about your pay you’ll get ignored unless you constantly ask. JUST LIES!
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Where do I begin.... read review
Lots of Opportunity and Lots to Do
Finance (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTNovember 3, 2017
Blue Raven has been a fantastic employer and I've been very impressed with the team and culture of the company. The company is young and by no means perfect but there is a willingness across all levels to try new things in order to figure it out. I have no doubt they will be successful.

The company has experienced significant growth and expects to maintain the same trajectory. At times this growth makes thing hectic but it also provides a lot of opportunity and keeps things interesting.

If you're willing to role up your sleeves and enjoy a challenge, this is the place for you. Lots of personal growth potential and a great team to work with.
Manager (Current Employee) –  American Fork, UTNovember 1, 2017
There is a great workplace culture of transparency and it feels like everyone's opinion is valued. As a matter of fact, I feel like team members on the bottom are expected to contribute solutions and communicate well.

It can be "just a job" if that's how you treat it, but it's a place where you can get invested in what you are doing and if you do you will find opportunities everywhere to learn and develop.
Pros
team culture
Cons
benefits are okay, I think communication between teams could improve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Raven Solar. Our community is ready to answer.