Blue Shield of California Employee Reviews

not the best
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CASeptember 28, 2018
they hire people off the streets (friends and family) to be supervisors. you can’t be a supervisor if your scared to take a supervisor call.

hard to get raises here... you really have to do a bunch of things to earn your $1 senior promotion

employees and upper management have love relationships

if you don’t kiss butt or know someone personally in upper management then your not going to advance here
Above Average
Appeals and Grievance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJuly 24, 2018
Supportive management and great coworkers. Alot of room for growth IF you have a college education. Salary and raises throughout department are stagnant. Sometimes overtime is mandatory.
Pros
Management, coworkers, and culture
Cons
Pay, long hours, and high turnover
Great Place to Work
Senior Manager, Provider Analytics and Contracts (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CANovember 27, 2018
Old Technology awesome people great work life balance euqal chances to grow and learn ... Great management but top heavy and no growth for pormotions.
Numbers, numbers, numbers
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Eldorado Hills, CA; Rancho Cordova, CAFebruary 16, 2019
Management as a whole, is terrible. There are too many managers that are just "yes men/women". Staff not included in restructuring, process development, etc. Most managers don't even know how to do the jobs that they are supposed to be managing.

Company is more concerned about "numbers" than actual care for their members. Production numbers will make or break you at this company. Even the nurses are required to make production numbers. Caseloads are unrealistic and mostly unreachable.
Pros
Offer paid sick/vacation; 401K and ROTH
Cons
Too concerned about production numbers; not actual care of members
Favoritism and sabotage
Shield Concierge Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CANovember 12, 2018
When I initially started here, I liked the atmosphere. Lately it has become a circus where management doesn't get along or he listens to people tell him lies about people who are trying to make an earnest living. The way to promote within is to be the biggest tattle tell you can in hopes that your sabotage of others will eventually gain you a promotion.
Pros
The customers are nice
Cons
It's a hostile work environment and unhealthy for growth.
Co workers are great. Leadership is awful
Health Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 10, 2018
The coworkers at blue shield are fabulous. Supportive and caring. The culture within healthcare leadership consists of bullying, staff splitting and manipulation. The senior manager made it clear she knows who files HR complaints against her. What one is to make of that is up to them. Human Resources and leadership response is to promote the bully higher up the corporate ladder. I advise those in healthcare do not apply and temp agencies do not send your workers there until HR and healthcare leadership clean house.
Pros
Awesome coworkers and good benefits
Cons
bullying and abusive leadership
Nice staff and long hours
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAOctober 16, 2018
Nice staff and management, however long hours at times. Good pay, Nice cafeteria and good commute into El Dorado Hills Pleasant working conditions, but watch the rattlesnakes outside during the summer!
Productive and relaxed place to work with excellent co-workers
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAOctober 15, 2018
I found that Blue Shield was an excellent place to work. The workload was varied from day to day, occasionally very heavy.

Management oversight was good and not overbearing. The atmosphere was relaxed and management encouraged a relaxed atmosphere, trusting the employees were responsible adults and had a strong work ethic.

We were encouraged to donate to charities (with company match), and also had a day where our unit volunteered to help within the community.

All of the people I encountered were nice and respectful people.

Definitely an employer that I would recommend.
Pros
Paid volunteer day annually (with work unit), relaxed atmosphere, wonderful coworkers, annual department off-sites, team building exercises, excellent benefits
Cons
Specifically for me, a long commute
Appreciation Week with events and vending trucks for lunch
AGD Coordinator, Dental SME (Current Employee) –  Lodi, CAJuly 17, 2018
Typical day: A typical day as a coordinator involves checking spreadsheets for your daily assignments. Communicating with leadership and peers regarding inventory. Checking at the end of the day to make sure all your work is done and if you can take on more work to help out.
What you learned: There is continuous training on the ever-evolving life of health insurance. You learn to develop your communication skills by being proactive in the workforce, by asking questions, you gain knowledge of your job and advancement.
Management: Management is there to support you with what you need. Management is there to remind you of your goals that need to line up with company goals.
Workplace culture: Family orientated workplace, makes it a great place to work.
Hardest part of the job: For me the hardest part of the job is saying no to a client when you know there is not anything else we can do from our end.
Most enjoyable part of the job: The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to give somebody good news.
Pros
Quality control is there to maintain that we are giving the best service to our members.
Cons
Quality control is there to maintain that we are giving the best service to our members, by auditing the employees.
Great company to work for.
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 29, 2018
Excellent working environment. Management staff were very understanding and helpful. Co-workers were hard-working, proficient in their skills, and friendly. Never had any issues with staff.
Pros
Provided new sales bonuses (above basic salary)
Cons
n/a
Good workplace
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 1, 2018
The office I worked in, the other employee's were very competitive, overall culture was okay. Location was fantastic, most co-workers were helpful and wanted to see others grow in their career.
Great Place to Work
Medical & Pharmacy Claims Agent (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CASeptember 6, 2018
Lots of bonuses and raises, fun place to work and a lot of space to grow in and I’ve learned a lot about healthcare and health insurance at Blue Shield of California.
quick working enviroment
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAAugust 13, 2018
worked 4 hours per day needed a full time career, l like the medical field, learning new things, management can use some improvement in answering and production
Pros
healthcare
Cons
low pay not enough hours
Okay
INTERPLAN PROGRAMS SENIOR REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAFebruary 1, 2019
Good wages and yearly bonus plus yearly merit increasss, flexible schedules and ability to work from home. Bad job security with frequent "organization changes"
Best position I've held
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 19, 2019
BCBSCA was one of the greatest companies I've ever worked for. I was employed through a temp. agency and the benefits were amazing. If my spouse didn't have to relocate to another state, I would more than likely still be employed.
Pros
compensation, work hours
Cons
not a lot of time to spend with your family outside of work
Stressful but good
IFP Billing/Claims - Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAJanuary 29, 2019
A typical day was full of meetings and projects t management. I wasn't able to be available to my staff or team. There were too many meetings. No training was provided.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
N o structure
Work hard for a good mission
Senior Learning Designer (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 24, 2019
Work hard with colleagues throughout the company to achieve the company mission. A challenging mix of distributed teams and information is used in service of the mission.
I love BSC
MEMBER LEVEL PROCESSOR LEVEL II (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CADecember 14, 2018
I really enjoyed working for BSC. A contract opportunity was presented to me and it was the great experience. Management is wonderful and everyone is so happy there.
Great People make a great company
Associate Project Manager/Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2019
There is a cross-functional approach for learning opportunities and people are very committed to doing their best and helping others do their best. They strive daily to provide excellent experiences for their end-user clients and customers, both internal and external.
Pros
Great people, supportive management/supervision
Cons
High use of contractors (me being one) and low available headcount to conversion.
Mail Clerk
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJuly 25, 2018
Although I worked here for a short amount of time (temporary summer job), I enjoyed my coworkers and management team, as well as the overall culture of the office. It was a positive environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Shield of California. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight