Blue Shield of California Employee Reviews

Appreciation Week with events and vending trucks for lunch
AGD Coordinator, Dental SME (Current Employee) –  Lodi, CAJuly 17, 2018
Typical day: A typical day as a coordinator involves checking spreadsheets for your daily assignments. Communicating with leadership and peers regarding inventory. Checking at the end of the day to make sure all your work is done and if you can take on more work to help out.
What you learned: There is continuous training on the ever-evolving life of health insurance. You learn to develop your communication skills by being proactive in the workforce, by asking questions, you gain knowledge of your job and advancement.
Management: Management is there to support you with what you need. Management is there to remind you of your goals that need to line up with company goals.
Workplace culture: Family orientated workplace, makes it a great place to work.
Hardest part of the job: For me the hardest part of the job is saying no to a client when you know there is not anything else we can do from our end.
Most enjoyable part of the job: The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to give somebody good news.
Pros
Quality control is there to maintain that we are giving the best service to our members.
Cons
Quality control is there to maintain that we are giving the best service to our members, by auditing the employees.
Productive - forward moving
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 16, 2018
Blue Shield invests in its employees and has a great culture, but you must want the opportunity as it will not be handed to you. It's easy to get lost in the weeds. However, continual organizational changes and job eliminations create uncertainty within departments/ teams which does not provide security for employees. I am no longer employed with BSC, but my former colleagues share their concerns for scheduled lay-offs.
Diversity and Inclusion
Employee (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 13, 2018
If you want to work for a company that has a stated mission but actually abides by the mission of "diversity and inclusion for some", then this is your company.

Take the blue pill and enjoy the collective thought.
Management Trainee Program (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 30, 2018
Blue Shield really invests in its employees and has a great culture. However, there are currently too many development programs in place and not enough opportunities to advance within the organization.
Pros
Gym on site, employee engagement
Cons
Long hours, pay is less then at other comparable companies
learned so many good things
CREDENTIALING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94105June 21, 2018
Typical day was work, work with celebration of birthdays and awards time, plenty of food. I learned so many things, all the websites to go to to finish the job assignments. Hardest part was waiting for the paperworks from providers to get the job completed for weekly report. Most enjoyable was when we had spent time at a team park free of charge and free food all day long.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Easy money
Bemidji, MN - Operator (Former Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZJune 19, 2018
I answered phone calls all day from producers needing help with their commissions and inquiries on statuses of applications for their clients. Sometimes you get people that yell but that comes with any job dealing with the public.
Corporate Healthcare
Claims Specialist for the Federal Employee Program (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 14, 2018
I advanced pretty quickly in this job. There is always a new opportunity to take hold of. Within 6 months I was able to move from an entry level position to a more advanced position with a pay raise.
Pros
Constant hours
Cons
Corporate cubicle land
Typical day at work
Medicare Member Services (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 11, 2018
Inbound call center with many different calls for Medicare. Heavy data entry. Enjoy the workplace culture. Wonderful place to work. I have learned a lot about Medicare.
Blue Shield would rather replace employess then develop them in an constantly changing business.
Director (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 10, 2018
CEO doesn't have control of the executive management team and how they treat employees. Retaliation is a huge problem. Employees can not build job security or longevity.
Productive and fun workplace
Office Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 9, 2018
My time at Blue Shield was a great working experience. I had the pleasure of having a fantastic manager who listened to their employees when something was not being done correctly or something needed to be addressed. The workplace was relaxed, but face paced at times.
Pros
Cafe on site. Breakfast and Lunch.
Cons
Pay was not enough to live on my own.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJune 5, 2018
Good people to work with. Full product line. The company does a good job of reaching out to employees and values their opinion. They are working diligently to keep pace in a complicated and competitive environment..
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Work life balance
Its a corporation
Senior Business Analyst, Product (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAJune 4, 2018
End of the day it's just like any other corporation. As much as they promote a image of uniqueness and understanding, they operate as any other corporation when it comes to business decisions.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Business Culture
poor management
Intermediate Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 4, 2018
the last management team I was involved with was sneaky, unreliable and could not understand what the actual day to day life of a phone representative was like. the management made promises regarding how work should/would be handled adding myriads of unrelated tasks to a position that was already over burdened
benefits
Cons
poor management
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 29, 2018
Great work life balance and benefits. Continual organizational changes and job eliminations in certain areas which does not provide security for employees.
BlueShield
Large/Small Group Processor (Current Employee) –  El Dorado Hills, CAMay 24, 2018
This job started off great, but bad management choices and constant berating made this a very stressful place to work. Towards the end i dreaded coming in everyday and being micromanaged.
Pay is ok but the work/life balance is not good.
Regulatory Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 21, 2018
BSC requires a lot of its employees with little in return. Management rarely knows the job they are overseeing. The company has its values but most employees that talk to each other do not have good things to say about their job or their leaders.
Great Company to Work For
ACCOUNTING OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAMay 16, 2018
I felt that leadership had your back and allowed you to grow in the position to train for other roles, great benefits and family feel. Gym, Café, Wellness Program and much more.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Limited Room to move up
When I worked for this company I was very pleased with work environment and staff
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 14, 2018
During my employment I really enjoyed the work and staff. Thought the company was very fair and I gad no complaints during my employment there. Very supportive company and although I wasn’t there very long. I felt part of the company
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
None that I can remember
Great Company
Intern, Health Care Systems (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMay 9, 2018
Blue Shield of California provides a number of health care services to nearly 4 million members across the state through responsible and cost-effective practices.
Fast paced competitive fun
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 8, 2018
Fast paced friendly environment. Departments are split into teams with fun competitions regularly. Good pay and consistent hours with overtime opportunities.
Pros
Great pay and hours
Cons
Short lunches, as a contingency worker I never know if my contract will be extended.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Shield of California. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight