Blue Shield of California
65Average

Blue Shield of California Employee Reviews

United States721 reviews
Best part of the company was the speedy move to work from home so that employees would not lose their jobs. Tremendous changes to systems done at the last minute that do not work all the time and upsets the callers and of course phone reps take all the brunt of the complaints. Good if you are a fan of call center work. Benefits should be way better since we work for the company in my opinion. If you call out you and have no PTO it will be counted against you per day missed, even if 3 days in a row, it is per day. So if you are sick with a bad cold or flu and miss 3 days in a row, it is 3 occurrences. If you have PTO saved up, it will be subtracted without any occurrences. Most jobs count that as one occurrence but not here.
Pros
Work from home during the pandemic
Cons
No advancement and no clear path on how to promote to other roles, low pay for the work
This was a challenging position but very rewarding. Loved the flexible hours and overtime when we needed to meet a deadline. I was very sad to leave this company.
I was let go after 15 years...due to down sizing.
I enjoyed my job helping people understand their health care benefits. Very willing to learn & ask questions to do my job better.
Pros
The people
This company isn’t the easiest to work at but you do get paid pretty well per hour just starting off, benefits are pretty good as well but I found us having to do other departments jobs which we weren’t trained for or compensated for. I wouldn’t consider this a long term career.
Pros
Always accruing PTO, on site cafeteria, premiums are pretty well priced
Cons
PTO is used as sick time, not trained for other department tasks, have to do other tasks during breaks/in between calls
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
During my time with blue shield I had a great experience learning the job at hand and was given more than enough tools to succeed in my role. As an individual I was successful in carrying out my tasks and receiving feedback from my direct supervisors. However, the office culture was very toxic. Unfortunately in these type of environments there is no attention to violence and bullying within the workplace. There is also no assurance of autonomy if an employee were to report any acts of violence or hate speech and those who were in a position to mitigate did not. No amount of money will keep me working for a company that employs people who are unable to maintain a level of respect and professionalism in a work environment. If that is something you prioritize during your job search I highly recommend that you find somewhere else to work.
Pros
Supportive management, nice cafe
Cons
Short breaks, low pay
Great place for pay and benefits... that's about it. I was very excited to work at this company but the problems started right away. The call center culture here was upsetting. They allow higher ups and other departments to speak badly to call center representatives with no consequence. I reported bullying for a several months that was happening right in front of my supervisor and HR stated it was a personal problem that needed to be handled by my supervisor. They play favorites with who they give career development opportunities to, not using the reps stats as a standard and management is just as inconsistent as their outdated work processes. They are constantly shuffling to the next position monthly it seemed like. It got to the point that I did not want to walk in the building each day. Don't let the "Great Place to Work" stuff fool you.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Inconsistent Management, Bullying, Poor Call Center Bureaucracy, Shift bids every 3-6 months
Leadership direction is pretty clear.
A chill culture with enjoyable coworkers.

Leadership try to make career goals a focus & emphasize personal growth.
I think this is a good company and they do offer their employees some great benefits. Everyone tries to include and be a family as well as they can working from home. I like that a lot. Everyone seems as helpful as they can be being new and starting off remote. The training is very HARD and uncomfortable. Some people it clicks and some it doesn’t. It is a pretty demanding desk job. You have no choice the phone just rings and picks up on its own.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not enough pay for what you deal with, very demanding, the training process is very hard, need more time for training
This is a great company to work for in terms of benefits. The company provide excellent time off and extra ways to participate in the community. However, management only cares about their numbers and record. Working here, you are just a name and shift. There are so many guidelines and rules you have to remember and follow, if you don’t, you’ll get feedback for it. On top of that, you are required to do side projects and work, including non-related work during the holidays and special events. You are audit on everything you do and sometimes to catch up on your work, you’ll have to use your breaks and lunches to finish them. The company structure definitely needs a lot of improvement. I don’t understand why each department is so hard to get a hold of each other. Some have emails and some don’t. Some have a phone line and some don’t. Some require special process to communicate with them and some don’t. It’s very inconsistent throughout the company. So don’t expect if you hear from someone working in a different department That blue shield is all fun and laughters, that is not true. My customer service department is all about working working working. No time to breathe or have a little bit of fun. And when you are given that time of fun, you’re exhausted and stressed out, you just want to relax and have some alone time to gather yourself. Also, management turnover is huge here, reason why some employees stays at the same position for 10 years. If I can leave, I’ll leave but during this pandemic, unemployment is already at its highest.
Pros
Benefits!! Time off!
Cons
Work during your breaks/lunches, high management turnover, just a number working here, company structure needS improvement, each department does not follow the same rules/process, no time for fun and games, micromanaged my management/corporate
Great job but lately has become micromanaged. Actively looking for other employment
Horrible superiors. Great manager but horrible supervisors. They had a few good ones but they fired those and now we are stuck with the ones that barely want to be there.
I do research to locate members whom are ESRD End Stage Renal Disease to educated them regarding Medicare and transplant options. I would also create cases for our case management nurses.
Pros
Talking to members to let them know that I am there for the members
Cons
Not able to reach out to members.
This was a great company with wonderful culture. The pay was ok but they really cared about the employees. I enjoyed the transparency and innovative thoughts to.improve our experience.
Pros
Great amenities
Cons
Better pay
I was trained well for people processes and management. I am the manager I am today because of my senior manager and it infiltrates all aspects of my work life.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Salaried Position working well over 40 hrs
I enjoy working at BS because of the people. They currently have great leadership who believe in their people and the mission. They offer several diversity and inclusion programs for the employees. The benefits are great.
They try to cross train you while you're still trying to perfect another training. They rush you into different departments and they say they're trying to help you, but when you ask for help they barely help you. They do you a favor a will throw it in your face. I don't get paid enough for what I do.
Pros
Lots of food parties, good pay, cool coworkers.
Cons
short breaks, feels like you're being watched and micromanaged by everyone.
If you are new, manager get in your cases, older employees can kickback, if you see other break rules and get away while you get written up for little things, it is time for you to leave. Blueshield bought out little companies and acquired their customers\data, cheap oversea employees is the key to keep cost down and profit high. A warning to companies that plan to sell their companies to Blueshield, doing so just like firing your employees, short term profit long term suffering for the rest, this is how they grow for many years by buying out competitions. They break promises, so do not believe their lies!
They are the big fish eating little fish, and they are very very hungry.
You need to know someone there in order to land regular employment there. I was hired on a temporary basis despite having multiple college degrees and over a decade of professional experience, but learned that fellow co-workers were regular employees with internal connections. Also, the workplace culture is resistant to change in processes/procedures. "This is how we've always done it," when a pair of fresh eyes offers new suggestions. It was a time of major change in management and people which brought on chaos. I have since learned that the original dept. no longer exists.
This company is good to work for as long as management likes you. Favoritism at its finest. They are constantly laying off and rehiring temps to do the work for much less. They get rid of employees who have devoted years of good work for budget cuts. Its disgusting. They act like they're about their employees and customers but being on both ends, they just care about money. There is such a disconnect between corporate and the "little people". The benefits could be WAY BETTER, i mean we are working for our own insurance company
The job is busy, I learned the call center, the work place culture is busy, unorganized, the hardest part of the job is the process being change and the new process does not work, the new process ran into all kinds of problems. the most enjoyable is the coworkers that I worked with, they were very easy to work with.
I worked for Blue Shield for over 28 years and found satisfaction in every job I held over the years. The training programs are top-notch and the company truly does value its employees
BSC is a good place to work if you don't mind keeping your head down and getting a lot of work done. It can be difficult to get a promotion and it's all about who you know. Lots of turnover and changes during my time there with multiple bosses and directors.