Blue Shield of California

Blue Shield of California Employee Reviews

Blue Shield of California insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Featured review

Blue Shield of California selected this as a representative review
I have been working as a member concierge support specialist for 2 years. I handle member calls regarding billing discrepancies, out of pocket review, benefit inquiries, authorization status, claims review. The job can be difficult during open enrollment but there is a support system and upper management has an open door policies and listens to and takes care of its employees. This is a wonderful company to work for as it stands behind its company value.

Pros

Employee recognition

Cons

High volume volumes

Great benefits but stressful

I have not been with the company long but I can say that training needs to be longer for the amount of things you are expected to learn. They should offer more support to their new employees and give them more time to learn the systems.

Benefits

Cons

Workload

Excellent company with great benefits

I've been working at Blue Shield of California (BSC) for only a month but, I wanted to do a quick review on my experience so far. Blue Shield has treated me so well right from the get go and I have had a great overall experience with management, leads, and the work culture. BSC treats their employees with great perks such as allowing all employees to take 3 hours off per week which basically makes our 40 hr work week now 37 hours which is awesome, we are giving 4 weeks of sabbatical after being with the company for 5 yrs, and we are also giving free tuition to the University of Arizona for both online bachelor and master degrees. Overall, the benefits are solid with healthcare plans being very affordable along with vision and dental. The only downside is the pay here is not the best considering jobs relative in the industry but, BSC makes it up with a great work environment, benefits, and perks. I would highly recommend checking out Blue Shield of California as your next employer!

Pros

Benefits, perks, sabbatical, paid college tuition

Cons

Pay

Favoritism, over worked, under paid

If you care about your mental health, this is not the place for you. The bonus are good and some perks. But it’s not worth the work load they give you.

Pros

Bonus

October 6, 2021
Thank you for leaving your review. We appreciate the feedback and take all comments very seriously. We understand how stressful it may be to be a call center representative and are working diligently at making sure our employees are taking care of their wellbeing and mental health first.

Great company

Love my case management job we are able to serve the community, and make a difference. I really have been able to help those that needs health support and management.

Pros

Work life balance, remote work

Cons

Insurance is costly

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

This company is really working hard to give employees a good work-life balance.

We have a good workplace culture and are encouraged to leave on time, no pressure for overtime. Coworkers are great and always willing to help each other as needed.

Pros

Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Extremely busy.

Opportunities

Teamwork and collaboration are the cornerstones of Blue Shield. The mission to serve communities is paramount in our daily work. Surveys are distributed so the company can get a pulse on the culture. I'm proud to work here an plan to be at BSC for a long time.

Pros

Collaboration

Blue Shield provides excellent benefits

Blue Shield is an excellent company that provides good pay and ample time off! I worked on the phones which wasn't for me but they provided excellent training for different computer programs and I was well prepared. The pay and time off were great.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Must like phone work

Overworked and underpaid.

Revolving door of leadership. Very factionalized departments. Too much interpersonal drama that is not kept in check by department supervisors. Depending on department and time of year, overtime is constant and expected. Looked on as "not a team player" if you're unable to work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week and come in on weekends at least twice a month.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Poor management. No work/life balance

September 8, 2021
Thank you for providing your feedback. We are sorry to hear this was your experience with Blue Shield of CA. We take all comments very seriously, and I invite you to email me to learn more about your experience. Selina Jimenez - selina.jimenez@blueshieldca.com

Very stressful and not worth the pay

Do you want to answer calls all day long from people who are stressed, upset, and confused, which will add to your stress when you can't help them? Then this is the place for you! Do you want to be tied to a phone and made to feel you can't take a break without alerting someone? Join us! When you have a break in between calls, you hope you can finish your previous work. Just as you are getting somewhere, you get another call. Think the training was overwhelming because you had so much information thrown at you? Don't worry. It gets worse when you take a phone call, and you didn't learn any of that in class. Most calls are from people who wait until the last minute for something they need, and they put all the pressure on you to help them immediately. Because of their lack of planning, you have now become their scapegoat. I don't know how some of these people function in life. These people are wasting my time by calling in to berate this company because we can't stop scam phone calls. I can't even remember the last time I called into my insurance company. Maybe it's because I take care of important things in my life, and I know how to get things done without ruining someone else's day by incessantly complaining. The insurance is expensive, so I can't imagine these people don't work. But, they have all the time in the world to call about simple things they can do online. And, the people who are short on time pressure you to solve their issue during their break or lunch from a phone with horrible reception. I literally had someone ask me to help but to hurry up. Really? This isn't -

Pros

Remote work, nice co-workers via chat.

Cons

Stress, stress, and more stress.

September 2, 2021
Thank you for providing your feedback. I am shocked to hear this has been your experience with Blue Shield. Although you are no longer an employee, I invite you to connect with me to learn more about your experience and how we can better the employee experience. Selina Jimenez - Selina.Jimenez@blueshieldca.com

Sr Manager

It was a great place to work. Culture and ongoing learning were provided. Management was supportive.Smart and collaborative team. Opportunities for advancement

Pros

Culture and suppoort

Cons

Remote working flexibility

Good benefits… stressful role and management

Stressful. Overworked mentally. Pay is decent not amazing for the amount of work and stress the role requires. Benefits like medical, dental, pto are nice. Management can be a lot better. Not enough time allocated after calls to complete work needed. Pressure from management to close cases with very little time off the phones. Constant member complaints and a lot of petty roadblocks from the company that make you have a hard time resolving the member’s issue. For example, if you send all the necessary information to another department but you use the wrong “template” they will send case back incompleted. Constant changes, miscommunication, system errors, very little help from supervisor, impossible standards.

Benefits

Cons

Stressful work. You will cry out of frustration often.

People

In the beginning it was about culture, we were a family. Then things changed multiple management, changes in duties no communication. Outsourcing to other country's when is blue shield of California not India

Pros

In the beginning team building

Cons

Multi management, No communication

Fast paced great management

This is a call center so you do have take a lot of I coming calls coming through back to back. You also have to make outbound calls to do follow ups on members referrals, claims etc. If you speak Spanish you can interview to get the green light and take Spanish calls as well. You don’t get paid much extra for taking Spanish calls which I feel is not very fair since you get double the volume in calls compared to reps who only take English calls. So when it’s a slow day for them, it’s a busy day for you. If you are looking for a stable job with good pay plus bonuses and time off this is a great company. You get PTO & Health days which come in handy. Management is very supportive and they are always there to help when you find yourself in need of it. They don’t leave you hanging and you are definitely provided with all the resources you could ever need to be successful. They let’s us work from home during the pandemic and provided is with all the equipment we needed. If you plan on expanding your family this company give you a xtra break and lunch time for pumping which I loved! They have nursing rooms and they have an amazing cafeteria. I worked in the Medicare department which is very regulated but the federal government. You have to be very careful with the information you give out to members. Your computer screens and phone calls are monitored and you do get reviewed on hold time, outbound & inbound call lengths are never and issue unless the day is very busy and you can’t make calls or follow up on cases until call volume goes down. Member can be very nice but some can be -

Pros

Great management, great building, work from home during COVID

Cons

Micromanagement & Schedule changes every quarter

Stressful Call Center Job

* Hardest part of the job : adjusting to so many changes constantly, some managers are not knowledgeable, limited allowed times between calls * Most enjoyable : helping people

Pros

Great Cafeteria

Cons

Micromanagement

People are great. Managment not so much

First of all the co-workers are great! The management in the customer service area is horrible. They will not even take calls from upset members asking for a manager. They will and I quote "That is not the process, we do not take calls." Mind you this is a call center that handles members calling in. They will micro-manage you to death on stats.

Pros

Co-Workers care and are dedicated

Cons

Low pay, Upper managment is to busy to care about the day to day operations

Good people to work with.

Upper management has a no hiring permanent position rule. No matter how experienced you are. They rotate temp workers. There is also a click culture within the company. I worked with people who had no experience in Healthcare, who was hired permanent position that I was teaching how to do. No security with this company.

Pros

Food day's, off time

Cons

Clicks, politics

Fun place to wkrk

You really feel appreciated at this company. Management & HR policies are amazing. I feel appreciated as their employee and they have amazing benefits, pays, TIPS (bonuses) & annual raises.

Pros

Free meals, gym membership reimbursement, internet reimbursement, free insurance, volunteer time off.

Cons

Depending on your position, they sometimes micromanage.

Great pay but took forever to get in

Company pays very well but hours are picked for you for 6 months they switch if you put morning's it doesn't matter they choose whats for you until after 6 months than you start bidding on your hours only if your doing good you get to bid first you are required to do alot of work and alot of different things happening at the same time

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Short breaks too much to do

Targeted and funded projects that focus on technology

A lot of opportunities for external consultants but with 2 year employment limit. Very tech focused and I was there to lead the people aspect of technology changes which was not seen as a value to most of the tech PMs. With only one exception, they didn’t see the need for a balanced emphasis on technology and people change management for implementation of new methods and tools.

Great treatment but won't increase your pay unless you move up

Great treatment but won't increase your pay unless you move up. They have a great healthcare package. Negotiate your pay well at the beginning because it is likely to go up very minimally and they are the type of people to expect the world from you only to get a good rating and a some-what-good increase.

Pros

You can learn a lot. Great industry.

Cons

Bad pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blue Shield of California. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
3.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Blue Shield of California with

• Blue Shield of California
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?