Blue Valley School District Employee Reviews

Exceptional Place of Employeement
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 30, 2019
Working in Blue Valley as an educator is one of the most fulfilling careers one can have in education. Filled with energetic educators and administrators who want only what is best for kids, a job in this district is one all educators should aspire for.
Decent Job. Terrible Pay
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Stanley, KSJanuary 16, 2019
Staff was never satisfied with work ethic. Teachers took Custodian status a a joke. Other custodians were peaceful. Manager was more concerned about his own advancement than his staffs well-being.
Fair
Driver (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KS 66223January 15, 2019
fair job it come with a lot of outside work. The job it not for anybody that doesn't like to spend most of there day outside doing yard work as well as different seasonal jobs.
Good Starter
Technology Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 7, 2019
Blue Valley Support staff are underpaid, fear mongering is common and there is a trend for dramatic gossip within the staff. Management isn't where it needs to be, the methods are archaic and more often than not the people making the decisions are not versed in the software/hardware being used.
Pros
Supportive upper management
Cons
fear mongering, micro managing
A typical workday at Blue Valley West
Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 2, 2019
A typical workday at Blue Valley West H.S. was always a pleasant experience. I taught in the Social Studies field with some of the best educators I have ever met (one of whom was the Kansas Teacher of the Year). I learned so much about technology from the younger members of the staff, how to work with special education kids thanks to extremely well-educated paraprofessionals, and thanks to my Social Studies staff I learned so many new teaching strategies and skills. The three principals I worked with, as well as all of the assistant principals I worked with over a 14-year period, were excellent motivators and leaders with high educational expectations for the students. I really had no "hard part" to my job while I taught at Blue Valley West - it was an exciting and fulfilling experience.
Pros
Working with great students and great educators.
Cons
Traveling from classroom to classroom my last year on staff.
Being a busboy at blue valley high school.
Busboy (Current Employee) –  Stilwell, KSSeptember 25, 2018
It is a good opportunity that I work in the kitchen at school, stocking drinks and snacks. Been a good one year and look forward to doing more even though it's kinda boring.
Pros
Cons
United HealthCare
Not as advertised
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 29, 2018
This district preys upon employees. They call it full-time, but no pay for winter/spring breaks, snow days, or summer. They will hire for the cheapest job title, then demand you work in another position. I have witnessed injured (because of the job) employees be treated horribly. Vindictive managers.
Pros
Schedule compatible with school age children.
Blue Valley. USD. 229
Police Captain (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 21, 2018
I enjoyed my twenty years with Blue Valley USD 229 School District. It was a positive working environment.

it was a pleasure serving the Blue Valley community.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
There are good schools, and there are bad schools. It just depends on where and who you work with that can make or break the job.
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 13, 2018
There are a lot of good schools, and people to work with. Unfortunately, if you get stuck at a bad school it is not pleasant. Some teachers treat you as second class citizens, but most are nice and caring. There is some mismanagement, and not a lot of room for advancement. Also Custodial Lead positions are only in the evening, so if you want to work during the day and advance it will not happen. Overall, Blue Valley is nice with there benefits, not so nice with there pay, and it depends on what school your at if your work environment will be pleasant and enjoyable.
Pros
They pay for your health care.
Cons
Since they pay for your health care they pay you less than other jobs.
very good organization
custodial lead (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 12, 2018
very good organization to work for. the compensation amount was always the biggest hold up to growing with them. the management was great to work with but the compensation was the concern.
Food Service Supervisor
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 8, 2018
Food Service Department provided multiple opportunities for training throughout the year. Followed all Federal and State guidelines. Goals were continually set to provide staff to improve in their current position or prepare for advancement.
Great District
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 7, 2018
Great school district that works to push their kids to the next level. However, the culture between schools isn't there. You are in your own school bubble.
Great place to work.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 9, 2018
Learned lots with the years worked here.great environment and people to teach. Learnwd how to handle different situations wether they were easy or hard.
Clean and well equipped kitchen with an organized schedule.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Leawood, KSApril 8, 2018
Generally a good day includes a smooth schedule of food preparation and delivery of meals.Most days can become overwhelming when co-workers do not come in for work or not wish to be team players in a very interactive kitchen. As a full time employee who is happy to share smiles and laughter on the busiest of days, it is usually not a minute to soon to leave on Friday. Hiring practices could be fine tuned, and employee appreciation efforts could be improved. Overall a good job for parents.
Pros
Free lunch, no weekends, jeans are acceptable, and clean environment.
Cons
No paid vacations, low wages, some short weeks scheduled with no work/pay.
Fun and stressful at the same time
CAFETERIA WORKER (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 16, 2018
I enjoyed working with students and interacting with them.I liked learning new recipes and how to cook nutritional meals. I wouldn't want to make a career being a lunch lady
Pros
Free meals and interaction with other people
Cons
short breaks
summers off
Para Professional Substitute (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 18, 2018
The school district offers good hours for people with children and having the summer off is ideal. Can work part-time of full-time and have many areas to choose from.
Para Professional
Para professional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 2, 2018
I worked with Autistic students and helped them to make sure that they would succeed in academic life. You do need to be fast pace and think on the spot.
Pros
team work, excellent communication
Cons
nothing
BV is a professional, collaborative learning community
Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 5, 2018
Great place to teach, learn and make a difference. I couldn't have asked for a better work environment. I was very fortunate to be a part of the mission of the Blue Valley schools.
Pros
Kids
Cons
Adults
Bvsd para
Para-Educator (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 4, 2018
I loved the work I did at Blue Valley. I started at one school and fell in love with it, but we found out that they had hired too many paras, and since I was the last hired, I had to leave. Fortunately, they recommended me to another locations nearby which took me on the next semester.
Pros
satisfying work
Cons
lunch breaks
Food Service
Food Service Floater (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 19, 2017
This was a part-time position. I helped prepare food for the student lunches. During the lunch periods, I would serve the students trays or collect payment. Payment could be cash or ID card. Also included in this job was the cleaning up process. I ran a professional dishwasher and cleaned up stainless steel preparation areas for the next day,
Pros
I enjoyed my coworkers and the kids
Cons
Not enough hours