BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Absolutely horrible
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 24, 2019
I moved from one state working for Blue Cross Blue Shield and I had to go through the hiring process to get work at the Blue Cross Blue Shield in Columbia, South Carolina. I put in my application at the end of March but did not get a response on the position until the middle of May, only to be denied work. I've worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield for over two years as a claim processor. I had to track down my recruiter because nobody ever reached out to me. When I contacted human resources they told me that they could not give me the number to my recruiter. By the time I was able to get the recruiter on the phone my application had been in the "under consideration" status for almost 40 days. At this point the recruiter told me that I could be denied for a position by simply requesting more pay than the position originally call for. I earned my pay working at the other location. The recruiter also told me to apply all positions that said claims processor, all levels of claims advocate, as well as to reply for the position that I eventually got an interview for multiple times. I didn't have an interview for the position until the beginning of May. On May 19th I received an email saying that I was denied for the position and they went with somebody that was more qualified. When I called to get a reason as to why I was denied for the position they couldn't give me one. Keep in mind I applied for a position that was well within my qualifications.This was discouraging and disheartening as I love the company that I worked for in another state and was hoping that as a faithful employee  more... for the last couple of years I would be viewed as an asset instead I was easily dismissed and ignored. I was told by a different recruiter for a position as a claims processor 1 that it was a entry-level position and I would receive entry level pay. There is no guarantee that the wage I was making previously would be matched. I will never work for Blue Cross Blue Cross in this state. This was absolutely nightmarish and prolonged experience.  less
Cons
Horrible Communication, Poor Management
Human Resources
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 17, 2019
HR is a revolving door with a lot of self-serving incompetent people not paying the worker bees what they are owed. The good old boy system at it's finest. Run!!!
Pros
Near the interstate
Cons
Everything else
Productive work place
Sr. JAVA Developer/DesignerAnalyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 14, 2019
Good work environment.Was working as a java developer.were using latest tools and technologies.HR department is very good. They are always happy to help.
Help desk associate
IT HELPDESK TECHNICIAN (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMay 12, 2019
There was a lot of clicks in the company. I did not feel apart of the team. I dont know if I would work there again. The customer I worked with was very nice. It was just real clickish there.
Great Employer
Mangement (Current Employee) –  SCApril 24, 2019
Fabulous! BCBS provides great resources for their employees! Committed to better health is key for this company! You couldn't ask for a better employer.
Great place for a career
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Camden, SCApril 11, 2019
I absolutely love my experience working here gave me the opportunity to explore great leadership. Not only did i meet great people, I had the opportunity to be train by some of the best career setters ever. Working here has enhanced my awareness of being as productive and proactive in all my future endeavors.
Great Job
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Surfside Beach, SCApril 3, 2019
I loved my job at Blue Cross Blue Shield. I had the opportunity to work from home. Management always available and helpful. I loved the fact that we always was doing some type of training. When they say opened door policy its a true statement.
Pros
Well trained
Cons
Salary can be better
Those days this was a good place to work for a student
Medical claims Examiner( part time) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 27, 2019
I started as a student part time my first job was filing Clerk. I got trained and promoted to a Medical Claims Examiner. I like the job because blue cross was the first company to install IBM computers for processing Medical Insurance claims. this is where I got interested in computers.
Pros
good learning opportunity
Cons
my First Job had no cons
Good place to work. Just can’t afford the cost of living with this salary
Service Operator I (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 19, 2019
This is an ideal job for someone who’s close to retiring or a busy mom who’s husband makes over sixty thousand a year. It’s a great schedule, the pay is just too low. Really won’t get a decent pay rate until you’ve been employed more than ten years.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Very low pay.
It was a fun place to work. Made friends with great people.
Senior Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 2, 2019
I have enjoyed working with this company over the years and just looking to move and find a job closer to my daughters. They provided me the opportunity to grow within Information systems.
Pros
working hours are flexible
Cons
You have to get the salary you want during hiring process
It's about who you know
Quality Assurance Coordinator - Documentation (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJanuary 7, 2019
I have worked for the company going on 7 years and my experience doesn't speak for anything. All anyone cares about, when trying to get into management, is the people you know and how well you get along with them.
Nice benefits but is very stressful worrying about your job every 4-5 years.
Provider Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 7, 2019
Nice benefits, has a cafe. Nice PTO after you've been there five or more years. Can be stressful and they lay off too much. Not much room for advancement within the company.
Benefits
Cons
Too many lay offs
The pay
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Camden, SCJanuary 3, 2019
The pay was awful and the time to get to work wasn’t right. At the time I only was getting 7.50 with no bonus.There was no encouragement to try to get another position or to climb the ladder or to excel in the company.
Pros
Cons
The money
A very customer oriented job
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 28, 2018
I really enjoyed my job. It was stressful at times but rewarding. Yearly employee reviews are done. I always had excellent reviews. Reviews determined your raises for the year.
Pros
I was able to travel to Washington, DC a few times for the company which helped me to learn more & network.
Fast pase
Group Support Spec. (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 17, 2018
I love working for the company. I have been there for 20 years. I also I love the people I work with any I pray to God that I'm there another 25+ years.
Pros
Updated information
Cons
Just when the system runs slow.
Working with fun and interesting people!
Claim Processor (Former Employee) –  Surfside Beach South CarolinaNovember 26, 2018
I have enjoyed working for Blue Cross. I left because reduction in force. A typical day would consist of processing claims, speaking with people in other sections of the company to help our internal and external customers.
The benefits are good. The managers have their picks and hire who they like and not who is qualified. There is very little opportunity to advance.
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  SCNovember 21, 2018
This job isn't for everyone. Company like to hire temps instead of taking care of their employees. No advancement opportunities. Management hires who they like and not necessarily the most qualified.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Pay needs to be higher because job is stressful.
Ok place to work
Claims Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCNovember 21, 2018
Not the place to work if you are trying to advance in this company. Pay raises are few and far in between no matter now hard you work or how long you have been there. I saw people start after me promoted before me, although I had more experience and had been there longer. I saw one lady who had been there for almost 20 years yet her pay raise only reflected $11.65/hr for the work she did and all the knowledge she had. This company does not invest in their employees like they should. They promote based on WHO they know, not WHAT they know.
Cons
They do not pay their employees what they are worth.
Wonderful job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 25, 2018
This is a wonderful job to start with. They are very chilled and laid back. You dont have to worry about being micro managed. As long as you doing your part everything will go smooth.
Pros
Every
Cons
Lunch break is only 30 mins for some departments
Contracts / Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 23, 2018
Promote individuals who have no experience in managing area. Example: Person who experience is in Human Resources is promoted to Procurement Manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight