BlueCross and BlueShield of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Awesome company to work for
Employee (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 14, 2019
Come join the team. BCBS has an incredible culture and leadership.

Progressive, celebrate success, and respect for employee work life balance and care.
Productive and fun place to work
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 15, 2019
Productive and fun place to work very fast pace. Management was understanding and cooperative. The workplace culture was very friendly and engaging. The hardest part of the job was getting use to the volume as it was a call center environment.
Fast Paced and on your toes atmosphere
Clinical Appeals Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 13, 2019
My current position is highly organized planning, and detailed orientation. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, establishing and maintaining relationships with physicians, nurses and other supporting service professionals.
Pros
work from home
Cons
work a lot on weekends
PMO Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 29, 2019
This place has given me immense satisfaction at work, especially from a learning perspective. All these years, not a single day has passed when I haven't learnt something new. Enjoy coming here every day. Thank you BCBSNC.
Collaborative environment w/ an emphasis on helping our members
ACA Health Coach (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 25, 2019
I enjoy working at BCBSNC. I am very excited about the direction the company is taking in population health management . Co workers are wonderful. WE have an onsite gym that is free and also an onsite health clinic.
Pros
Good benefits, onsite healthcare clinic, onsite free gym
Cons
no face to face interactions with my members
Just Horrible
Operations (Former Employee) –  NCJanuary 24, 2019
Never encountered more unprofessional, incompetent, lazier, selfish or apathetic employees in my career. Experience would have been laughable if it were not so detrimental and tragic to the individuals who rely on this abysmal embarrassment of a company.
Progressive work environment
Manager, Data & Analytics (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 23, 2019
Our new executive leadership team is directing the company in new and challenging ways. It's fast-paced and exciting work. We've not been on the cutting edge for a few years from a technology standpoint, but the tide is changing.
Pros
Open floor plan, on-site gym, two cafeterias, new executive leadership
Cons
Open floor plan (putting on both lists since some find this a good way of working)
Bring back the days of old
Quality Auditor Membership (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 10, 2019
This is not the same company that it was 5 years ago. A lot of changes that are great for the business but not their employees and N. Carolina. The people are remarkable and unmatched in service provided to the customers.
Pros
Work/life balance, pay, team work, culture.
Cons
Too many contractors, less and less full time benefits. New upper management coming in making grave decisions.
learned alot but no job security
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 29, 2018
Typical day at work was answering back to back inbound calls. I learned a lot about health insurance. When different ones can enroll. What are options outside of Annual Enrollment Period. Blue Cross was very diverse and that was great. The hardest part of the job was telling members what they had to pay for particular medications when they were calling to complain about what they couldn't afford in the first place. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people in different areas of NC. Encouraging those who just needed to hear a kind word and resolving a escalated call before it could make it to management.
Pros
gym, benefits and cafeteria
Cons
layoffs, change of management
Na
Business Analyst Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 25, 2018
Overall good company they invest in their employees. Middle mgmt could use some work but overall the company is great. Excellent benefits, bonus and they understand work life balance.
front end processor
front end processor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 28, 2018
I am a front end processor. I have benefits. I work Monday thru Friday 7:30-4:00 pm. They have a great cafeteria. They environment is nice. They have a good daycare
Great Company to Work For
Business Analyst Associate (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my tenure working with Blue Cross. It was a pleasant and friendly environment. Lot of room for growth and success. Unfortunately my position was illuminated due to budget cuts.
Productive and team work atmosphere
Medicare Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 16, 2018
A typical day at work was to basically answer telephones(customer service) to BCBS members with questions stemming from membership enrollments to prescriptions inquiries.
Pros
Teamwork atmosphere
Cons
Busy telephones
Strong Company Mission
Senior Contract Management Negotiator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 13, 2018
Company supports their mission in striving to provide health insurance to the NC community. Strives for optimal results both internally and for North Carolina residents.
Pros
Compensation
Contractors
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 4, 2018
Contractors are treated like less than, you're constantly reminded that you are a contractor. Management wants you to kiss their butts because of it. It's a shame how they lay off hundreds of people every other year or only hire contractors to keep overhead down to only keep certain individuals in positions that are useless.
Pros
1 hr lunches
Cons
good place with work and life balance
Quality Auditor (Current Employee) –  Salem, NCOctober 30, 2018
Loved working from home and not being micromanaged allowing me to be more productive. The last two years were stressful with job eliminations looming over our heads and last year people being cut and then again this year so never feeling secure in your job.
Pros
working from home
Cons
not feeling secure in your job
I enjoyed my stay at BCBSNC
Claims Specialist/ CSR (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 25, 2018
I can honestly say I enjoyed my time at BCBSNC. I had wonderful peers and decent management. I would definitely recommend working there. You'll gain a lot of experience.
Pros
Wonderful peers
Cons
temporary
Great Place To Work
Account Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 19, 2018
I actually worked over 38 years at the Blue's. However I started working at BCBSNC back in 1992 as a Medicare Customer Service Representative back in 04/1992. In 04/1993 I transferred to the Sales Dept which I learned a lot and earned several awards. I retired from BCBSNC in 01/2010.
Pros
Great Place o Work
Claims processing
Claims Professional (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 16, 2018
I enjoy what I do, processing claims but I do not like the unknowing of my job being there one day to the next. I would like to be involved in the decisions of the work I do. Not just thrown into queue and told to work it. Some things other excel at and there are others I excel at. I never tell my employer no but when you see I am unhappy.... I think that would raise a flag.
Pros
I enjoyed working projects that were provided to me
Cons
With the outsourcing of work, one never knows if they will have a job or what kind of job they will be doing next.
High-stress environment but good people.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 5, 2018
Customer service was hard, but my coworkers were almost without exception good people. We helped each other get through the day. The only serious drawback to the job was the inability to go to another department once you had your fill of speaking with the public.